Good Morning

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

"Wake Up! Wake up!"

 

Somin groaned as she rolled under the bed covers searching for her cell phone to turn off the alarm. 

 

"Wake up! Wake up!" 

 

Somin softly cheered in her head as she found the little tech devil by the bedside table and quickly turned it off . She sighed with relief and plopped back into bed and snuggled into the covers more. She felt so warm and the blanket felt softer than usual. 

 

Suddenly, a soft snore penetrated Somin's ears. Her eyes opened wide as she jumped and sat up in bed. Her eyes began to readjust to the settings around her. Where the hell was she? The place she was in was a fancy hotel room, like one might see at The Plaza in America. Somin looked down at herself and underneath the covers. Somin feared the worst and here it was. She was underneath the covers. She began to scream with all her might.

 

The man beside her bolted up from his sleeping position. "What the hell are you screaming for?!" He put his hand to his head and massaged his temples. ", I have such a headache right now."

 

"Well I'm sorry for waking you up," retorted Somin. "But if you haven't noticed were sharing a bed together !" Somin turned to face the man realizing that it was the same man from the night before at the bar. She couldn't believe it.

 

The man closed his eyes and returned to his sleeping position. "And the big deal is?"

 

Fuming with anger, Somin threw the pillow at him. "I'm ! You're ! We're in bed together! We had last night!"

 

Suddenly, the man sprung on her. She was now lying down with him on top of her. She starred up at him speechless. A small smirk played against his lips as he said, "Would you like to continue where we left off last night?" 

 

Somin shoved him off with an angry expression off her face. He simply smirked once again and went back to his sleeping position. Smirking must be his thing because he absolutely loved to show it.  

 

Completely livid about the situation, Somin had enough. She looked around the room and found her clothes thrown astray all over the room. She deeply sighed at the mess she was in. She pulled the under thinnest sheet off the bed and got it to wrap around her body. Somin stood up and began picking up her clothes, as loud as possible.

 

"Forget it." The man suddenly sat up from his position and ran his fingers through his brown hair. "You're too noisy." With his long arms, reach for a bathrobe that hung loosely on a chair by the bedside table. 

 

Somin looked away as he got up to put it on. She heard his footsteps slowly make its way to the bathroom. 

 

"Get changed. Then we'll go have breakfast downstairs in the hotel restaurant." 

 

Baffled by his sudden invitation, she wondered what hotel she was in. She looked around her as she continued to gather up her clothes. Daejo Hotels. It was a fancy place. The bed was king size and looked really fluffy. The rooms concept was basically off whites and beige's here and there. It was like a place one would see in Americalike in The Hilton or The Plaza. No wonder the beds were so comfortable.

 

Somin slowly got up from her position with her clothes in her hands. "At least its free..."

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

"The usual." said Hyunjoong as he handed the menu back to the waiter.

 

"Of course sir," bowed the waiter. "And you miss?"

 

Hyunjoong watched as the girl before him looked up at the waiter with large innocent eyes.

 

"Um...I'll have the same."

 

The waiter bowed once more before leaving.

 

Hyunjoong sat back in his seat and continued to watch this innocent girl as she picked up the cold glass of water to her lips. Hyunjoong smiled at her innocence. He wondered how he had picked up a girl like her. Hyunjoong could barely remember last night except for the fact that it was New Years and they had kissed. Everything after that was a blur. He didn't even know her name but he wanted to a bit. That was just how he was.

 

"I had a good time last night."

 

The girl began to cough and choke on her water. Hyunjoong laughed at her reaction to himself.

 

"I could barely remember what happened last night." He heard her mutter under her breath as she wiped with a napkin.

 

Hyunjoong observed the girl before him. She wasn't an eyesore or anything. But she was definitely not the type Hyunjoong usually went for. She had long wavy brown hair that ran past her shoulders. She always looked like she was thinking of something as if everything around her was a question. Her slightly drowsy eyes , full cheeks, and full pale pink lips that was in a permanent pout gave Hyunjoong the urge to . Something about her was so proper. She seemed like the goody goody type. Obviously not the case last night.

 

"My names Hyunjoong by the way. Kim Hyunjoong."

 

"Jung Somin" She replied.

 

Just then, their breakfast had arrived. The two of them began to eat their meal silently. Occasionally, Hyunjoong would check Somin as she ate. She was interesting. She was different.

 

"Is there something on my face?"

 

"No, there’s nothing." replied Hyunjoong.

 

Somin slowly nodded and continued to eat her breakfast.

 

As they finished their breakfast, both stood up. It was awkward.

 

"Thank you for breakfast, I'll leave first." She said as she grabbed her bag to leave.

 

"Wait."

 

She stopped in her tracks. Hyunjoong held out his hand for her to take. "It was nice meeting you, Jung Somin."

 

Her felt her hesitantly take his hand. "You too...Kim Hyunjoong."

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

"Aish!" Somin walked out of the hotel, scratching her head in frustration. It was always her getting into ridiculous situations. She just had to get drunk last night. The worst part of it all, Somin could not remember what exactly happened last night. Heck she was drunk but even in that state Somin was no easy girl to get into bed with. It would have taken Hyunjoong a lot of persuading.

 

Suddenly, Somin's phone went off. She quickly answered it.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Somin!"

 

. It was her mother.

 

"Yes, umma?"

 

"Where have you been?!" shrieked her mothers shrill voice. "I've been trying to reach you all night!"

 

"I'm sorry Mom. I spent the night at a friend's house after New Years."

 

Her mother sighed over the phone. "Come home now. Your father and I would like to speak with you."

 

Somin heard a click on the other end of the line and she knew her mother had hung up on her. There was no choice but to head on home.

 

"Ugh," Somin flipped her phone shut and shoved it in her bag. "Taxi!"

 

Thirty minutes later, the taxi pulled up to a luxurious mansion. The mansion was two stories high. A lush garden decorated the front and a tall iron gate guarded the entrance. Somin got out of the taxi, paid, and made her way inside her home. She found her mother and father sitting in the living room, waiting for her.

 

"Mom, Dad." said Somin as she bowed down to them.

 

"Sit." Her father said sternly.

 

Jung Ilwoo. The president, owner, and successor of a famous phone company here in Seoul Korea. Surprised? Don't be. Jung Ilwoo kept to himself and made sure he wasn't that known. As the owner, the company had been passed down from generation to generation. Next in line would be Somin herself. He was a stern father but had a warm heart. 

 

Somin turned her head to her mother. The same stern look on her face. Han Inyoung, the wife to president of the phone company. She was from a well off family. Although stern and stubborn, her heart could be easily melted. She was easily distracted when the something else much more important to her came up. She loved when things went her way. She was the opposite of her father. Somin's mom loved social events.

 

Jung Somin took her seat in the middle of her mother and father across from them.

 

"First," began her mother. "What exactly was the occasion for you to not come home last night without a single phone call?"

 

"I'm sorry mom," apologized Somin. "I stayed with Yoomi at her parents home."

 

"Next time," warned her father. "Call us."

 

"I will Appa."

 

Her mom sighed. "And to think, I thought she was with a man!"

 

"Yeobo!" "Umma!" Somin and her father yelled at the same time.

 

"What?" said Somin's mom innocently. "It wouldn't hurt to dream? Oh yeah Somin-ah this was what your father and I wanted to talk about. It's the new year, Somin-ah, we want to set you up on dates."

 

"Matchmaking?!"

 

It was so typical of her mother to switch the topic so quickly. They both made it seem like Somin was in deep or something. When it came to marriage talks and matchmaking, it was her mom who found the most pleasure in it the most.

 

"Appa!" pleaded Somin. "Stop her!"

 

"I agree with your mom this time. You're 22 years old and you'll be 23 soon. I'm not getting any younger Somin. I'd like to see little grandchildren running around this empty place."

 

"Appa!" yelled Somin once again. "I'm too young to be married and have children. Just let me work in the company for a few years. I'll get married by 30 at least!"

 

"Are you trying to kill me!" shrieked her mom. "Yeobo, tell her she has to go to the matchmaking I arranged today!"

 

Her dad looked at Somin with pitiful eyes. "Please Somin? Or else your mom won't ever stop bugging me about it."

 

Somin sighed, letting in. "Alright I'll go. But if I don't like him, you can't force me to marry him!"

 

"As long as your going!" squealed her mom in happiness. "Hurry and get changed! I bought you a new dress!"

 

Somin gave her dad a playful grin and left the living room before her mom could say more.

 

...........................................

 

Standing outside of a very fancy restaurant, Somin tugged at the hem of her new dress. Her mom had chosen a pale pink dress that stopped mid thigh. Her heels were silver and high. Her mother made sure Somin's hair and makeup was done to perfection, well whatever that meant. Although she liked dressing up, Somin preferred not to show too much leg or have on too much makeup.

 

Her mom tugged on Somin's hand. "Come on, we'll be late."

 

They entered inside the restaurant and was immediately seated in a large private room, at the mere mention of their names.

 

Her mom began fixing bits of her hair. Somin tried to get her mother off. The door suddenly opened and Somin repositioned her posture. A woman, just like her mother, entered the room. Her mom immediately stood up and greeted each other with smiles.

 

"Somin-ah, come and greet Mrs. Kim."

 

Somin stood up and bowed. "Hello, Mrs. Kim. I'm Jung Somin."

 

"You have such a pretty daughter Inyoung. I'm so jealous."

 

Somin blushed at her compliment as her mom and Mrs. Kim laughed together. From what Somin's mother had told her, she and Mrs. Kim had met at a social event and instantly hit it off.

 

"Where is your son by the way?"

 

"Ah, he should be---"

 

"Sorry I'm late."

 

"Hyunjoong-ah, you're here."

 

Somin's eyes grew large as she heard his name. No, it can't be. She turned around and locked eyes with Kim Hyunjoong.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

"Sorry I'm late." announced Hyunjoong as he entered the private dining room. His eyes searched the room and landed on a set of familiar ones. To hide his shock Hyunjoong casually put on a smile and walked towards his mother.

 

"Sorry, there was some business to take care of at the hotel."

 

Kim Misung. Kim Hyunjoong's mother and Kim Daejo's wife. Known socialite and wife to the owner of the very successful Daejo Hotels. She was raised in a very well off family. She loved Hyunjoong and always expressed his best interest for him. And marriage was on top of that list. She was a curious woman and loved to know what was going on. She was very caring.

 

His mother took his arm and led him in front of Somin. "This is Jung Somin, Jung Inyoung's daughter."

 

Hyunjoong politely bowed to the two. He caught Somin's continued shock expression. They sat down at the table and waited for their food to arrive. He continued to stare at Somin, with a smirk on his lips. He found it ridiculously cute to see her squirm in her seat obviously uncomfortable.

 

"Hyunjoong, did you have a girlfriend before?"

 

Hyunjoong looked up to find Somin's mom speaking to him. "Yes, in the past." He replied.

 

"Really?" Somin's mom asked. "Somin has never had a boyfriend before. I don't know if its her or is it if she hasn't found the right person yet."

 

"Mom!"

 

"I mean I always ask her about it and she never says anything so I assume--"

 

"Mom! Please!"

 

The two moms laughed together.

 

"Would you like some water Somin-sshii?" asked Hyunjoong reaching for the glass pitcher.

 

Somin simply nodded with the cup in her hands.

 

The two mothers continued on with their own chit chatting and gossiping.

 

The food was quickly served. Hyunjoong didn't say a word as he ate. Instead he watched Somin. He wanted to all the time. It was weird. But this matchmaking thing was not what he wanted. He didn't want to be forced to marry someone he didn't love. He was not going to marry Somin no matter what his mother said. He can't, he had someone else in mind.

 

At the end of the lunch, the four of them gathered together outside of the restaurant. A black sleek car pulled up for the Jung's. Mrs. Jung turned to Hyunjoong and his mom.

 

"It was nice meeting your handsome son, Misung. He's grown so beautifully. I hope we call all meet like this again," She turned to Misung and winked at her. "I'll call you later."

 

Hyunjoong bowed to Mrs. Jung and Somin. "You have a beautiful daughter Mrs. Jung." Hyunjoong turned to Somin and winked at her. She looked away.

 

A man walked out of the car and opened the car door for the Jung's to enter.

 

"We'll be taking our leave first."

 

"Umma," said Somin. "I'm going to go back to work at the company, I'll see you home later."

 

Mrs. Jung nodded and bid farewell to the Kim’s.

 

A few seconds later, a second car pulled up for the Kim’s. Hyunjoong watched as Somin approached his mom and talked to her off the side. She had bowed to her. His mother laughed at something she said and held Somin's hand. Hyunjoong couldn't hear what they were saying, but he knew it had something to do with him. They walked towards the car door together.

 

"Thank you for lunch Mrs. Kim. I really have to go now." She turned to Hyunjoong and flatly said, "It was nice meeting you." Jung Somin bowed once again and began to walk away and down the street.

 

"Such a modest and humble girl. I like this one Hyunjoong-ah." smiled his mom as she climbed into the backseat of the car. "Are you coming Hyunjoong?"

 

Hyunjoong shook his head no. "I'm going to head back to the hotel to finish up some work. I'll be home for dinner."

 

"You better!" warned his mother. "Don't expect your dad or I to let you off the hook again after what happened last night."

 

Hyunjoong chuckled. "Yes umma, have a safe ride home."

 

Hyunjoong waited until the car turned around the corner, before running off to the opposite direction. He ed his suit jacket and let it flow with the wind.

 

He finally caught up to her, lining up at a bus stop. Hyunjoong ran up to her, grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the line.

 

"Yah!"

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

"Why do I have such bad luck?!" said Somin out loud to herself as she walked away from the restaurant. "Out of all the people in the world, it had to be him? Aish! I don't know anymore! I don't know!"

 

People began to stare at Somin as she cursed out her situtation out loud. She didn't care. She was so frustrated. She even dressed up and tried to please her mother. In the end, it had to be Kim Hyunjoong? From the beginning, Somin had never expected a perfect match, but a glimmer of hope inside her wished it was someone who could be dateable. It was the first matchmaking, and it was a disaster. Somin could barely eat the entire time. Every food that came at least two feet under her nose made Somin extremely nauseous. Instead, she gulped down glasses and glasses of water.

 

That smirk. That playful smirk kept playing over and over again in Somin's mind. She shook her head to free her thoughts of him away. What was she thinking of him for? There was no way in hell they would date or even consider marriage. No way. Hyunjoong was not for her.

 

From a distance, Somin could see that the bus had already arrived. She ran to the bus stop and waited in line.

 

As she got closer to the door, suddenly someone had grabbed her hand pulled her out of the line.

 

"Yah!" She yelled.

 

Somin turned her head around and found Hyunjoong standing before her.

 

Shocked Somin asked, "What are you doing here?"

 

"Isn't our situation funny right now?"

 

"What?" Somin asked. "What are you talking about?"

 

"Me and you," replied Hyunjoong. "Our mothers love each other and my mother loves you. This arranged marriage, is not my thing. What we did last night was just one night. I don't want you to think that this could go any further."

 

"I never once thought that this matchmaking could go further not once." spat Somin, shocked at his cockiness and how straightforward he was.

 

Hyunjoong smiled. "Good, that’s all I wanted to know."

 

"Well then if you have nothing else to say.." Somin said as she slowly turned to catch the next bus.

 

"Wait, at least give me your number." said Hyunjoong holding out his cell phone.

 

Somin sighed. "Why?"

 

"My mother will never stop bugging me if I don't."

 

Somin gave in and dialed in her cell phone number. She knew what it was like to have a nagging mother at home. Somin let Hyunjoong enter his number as well.

 

"After this, we'll never have to see each other again."

 

Hyunjoong nodded at her.

 

"Bye." She said.

 

"Bye."

 

They both turned around and began walking away in opposite directions.

 

Two Months Later~...//...//...

 

"Yoomi!" yelled Somin out the door of her office. "Yoomi!"

 

"Yes Somin?" popped in Yoomi, her assistant as well as best friend.

 

"Do you have the slides ready for the presentation today as well as the charts?" asked Somin.

 

"Yes, its all in the meeting room."

 

Somin stood up from behind her desk and adjusted the cream blouse she was wearing and smoothed down the pencil skirt as well. "Are you ready Yoomi?"

 

Yoomi nodded as she held open the door for the head of the developing department, Jung Somin.

 

After a month of persuading her father to move her up from management to the developing department in her dads phone company, Somin had been rewarded just that.

 

Others had felt cheated by Somin because of her connections, but she had proven herself by pitching new ideas, sketching new cell phone models, and has shown leadership qualities. She was working her way up.

 

Today Somin was going to pitch the newest cell phone model to the board as well as the president of the company, her father.

 

As they made their way down the hallway to the meeting room, Somin suddenly felt nauseous. She stopped and put her hand over .

 

"Are you alright Somin-ah?" asked Yoomi worriedly.

 

Somin nodded. "I'm fine. Let's go."

 

They continued on and went into the room. Somin bowed once she saw the board was already there and seated. Her father entered shortly after her and Somin began.

 

"Research shows that cell phone buyers tend to buy phones with a sleeker model. Meaning, thinner phones but with the same assets. I propose a brand new phone called The Glide." Somin reached over and unveiled the model that was made. "The special features of this phone is you must slide it from the bottom to reveal the keypad. Its thinner than a flip phone and attracts the buyers eye more. To further enhance the design, our team has come up with six individual designs, three cute and three sophisticated. This will attract international buyers like Japan, the nation of cuteness."

 

The slideshow switched to a different slide showing what sales could be like in Japan.

 

"Japanis all about cute and ---" That feeling of nausea once again came and Somin put her hand to . Oh god, she needed to vomit and now.

 

"Yoomi," She whispered. "You have to take over."

 

Yoomi looked at her with a confused expression. "What?"

 

Somin turned around and ran out the room. She sped down the hallway towards the bathroom. She ran into a stall and began to throw up.

 

Ten minutes later, Somin came out of the stall and washed her face in the sink. She stared at her reflection in the mirror as her hand instinctively went to her stomach. It couldn't be. Somin needed to visit a doctor right away.

 

...........................................

 

It was 1 p.m.and Jung Somin had just finished at the doctors. She was now in the back of a taxi heading towards her next destination.

 

"Stop here please." instructed Somin. She paid the taxi driver and got out of the car.

 

Somin entered the fancy hotel. She never thought she would be here again under these circumstances. Somin walked up to the receptionist and rang the bell.

 

"Yes?" asked the lady behind the counter. "Do you have a reservation?"

 

Somin shook her head, no. "I'm here to see Kim Hyunjoong."

 

"Do you have an appointment?"

 

"No."

 

"Can I have your name then please?"

 

"Jung Somin. Tell him Jung Somin is here to see him. Its important."

 

The receptionist nodded as she picked up the phone.

 

"He's at a meeting right now and said he'll call you later."

 

"Can you please tell him that I'll wait then."

 

"Okay, you can wait in the grand lobby. I'll you there. Would you like a drink. Wine? Brandy?"

 

"No thank you, I'll just have water."

 

Somin was escorted into the grand lobby and sat in a large regal looking chair. She brought a glass of water and anxiously drank it. This was it.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

"Mr. Kim, the receptionist downstairs said a young lady named Jung Somin is downstairs requesting to see you. Should I tell her to leave?"

 

Hyunjoong glanced at his assistant. "What did you say the name was again?"

 

"Jung Somin."

 

Jung Somin. He hadn't heard that name in two months. What did she need now? Was it his mom who told her to come here? After all she had bugged him for a month before letting the topic go.

 

"Tell her that I have a meeting right now and that I'll call her later."

 

"She says its important and that she'll be waiting for you in the grand lobby."

 

"Okay, that’s fine. Tell the receptionist to offer her a drink. Now lets head out to the meeting."

 

"Yes sir."

 

Jung Somin. He remembered her. The new years girl. The girl he had a one night stand with. It hadn't been that long.

 

As the meeting progressed, Hyunjoong kept thinking about Somin and what she could possibly be doing here to see him. After another hour, the meeting had ended. Along with his assistant, Hyunjoong made his way down to the grand lobby. He spotted her right away, sitting on one of the chairs fast asleep. He quietly sat in the seat opposite her.

 

"Somin-sshii." Hyunjoong quietly said. "Somin-sshii."

 

She slowly opened her drowsy eyes and sat up. "Hyunjoong..."

 

"What are you doing here?" He asked. "Are you in trouble?"

 

Somin silently opened her bag and took out a piece of paper and handed it to Hyunjoong.

 

He opened the paper and read the contents of it out loud. "Patient Jung Somin. 99.9% pregnant....pregnant?!" He looked up at Somin who only nodded.

 

"I'm pregnant...with your baby."