Jeju Island

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin walked out of the automatic glass doors of Jeju’s airport with a big smile on her face. The summer air hit all her sense in one go. The slightly sticky air stuck onto her skin as they sauntered towards the cab pickup lane with their luggage in tow. She put on her sunglasses and tied her hair into a loose high bun and turned to Hyunjoong. He took a baseball cap out of his bag to shield the sun from his eyes.

 

“I’m going to go get the rental car,” Hyunjoong announced.

 

Somin nodded and watched him walk towards the airport car rental building.

 

Somin began to naturally admire the view around her. She hadn’t been to Jeju Island since she was a child but it seemed to her like the island had gotten prettier. The sky was a never ending bright blue with pale bursts of fluffy clouds. All around her people seemed to have a permanent smile on their faces. She loved this type of setting. It was a get away from the city.

 

Suddenly, she heard two loud honks and immediately looked up. She spotted Hyunjoong in an electric blue convertible, waving his hand at her. She rolled their two small suitcases towards the car as Hyunjoong got out. As he did, the roof of the car began to pull back.

 

He jingled the car keys teasingly at her face. “Want to drive?”

 

Somin rolled her eyes at him. “You know I don’t have my license.”

 

“I know,” laughed Hyunjoong as he took their luggage and loaded it into the trunk of the car.

 

“Jerk,” muttered Somin as she opened the passenger car door.

 

He slammed the trunk door shut, walked to Somin and kissed her on the lips. “But you love me,”

 

She shoved him playfully on the shoulder. “Shut up.”

 

He blew a raspberry (xLastXAngelx) at her and quickly ran to the driver’s side of the car before Somin could inflict anymore pain to him. She rolled her eyes at his playfulness and closed the car door shut. He gave her a big smile before driving off to the resort.

 

...........................................

 

“Director Kim, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” A man in his middle forties bowed down to Hyunjoong and Somin. “And this is…”

 

“My fiancée,” answered Hyunjoong.

 

The man smiled as he held his hand out for Somin to take. “I’m Lee Taengsoo or Head Manager Lee.”

 

Somin shook his hand. “Jung Somin.”

 

“We’ll have the bell boys bring in the luggage for you,” Two bell boys appeared by Head Manager Lee’s side immediately and took their luggage. “I’ll take you to your room.”

 

As they walked towards the elevator, Somin began to take in the beauty of the Jeju Daejo Hotel. The Seoul Daejo Hotel was very different compared to the one here. The Soul Hotel had a modern and chic atmosphere. While on the other hand, the Jeju Daejo Hotel showed its pride in everything natural. There were large ficus trees adjourned in practically each corner of the lobby. Fresh white flowers decorated the reception area and in the lounge a large window was built on the ceiling to showcase the natural sunlight and view of the sky. Guests around her were in awe at the beauty of the hotel.  

 

They entered the elevator and minutes later entered an empty hallway. It was brightly lit from the windows and as they moved along Somin found that there seemed to be only 3 rooms. Head Manager Lee stopped at an elaborate double door. His hand lingered over the doorknob as he turned to both Hyunjoong and Somin with a smile.

 

“Welcome to paradise,”

 

Once he opened the doors, Somin’s jaw practically dropped to the floor. Sure, she had been to many high end hotels before but this one was just stunning. It was a large room fully furnished. The pale yellow curtains were pulled back to reveal a stunning view of the resort. There was a large king sized bed in all white that seemed fluffier then the clouds in the sky. As she walked around the room, she slid her hand over the couch, the desk, and dresser. She entered the spacious bathroom and smiled. “It’s great!”

 

“This room is the presidential suite. It’s the best room that our wealthier guests like to stay in,” said Head Manager Lee. “I hope you two enjoy your stay.” He turned to Hyunjoong and handed him an itinerary. “This is the Daejo Hotel couple’s itinerary for the weekend. You can participate in these special offers if you’d like.”

 

“Thank you,” said Hyunjoong as he took it. “Later, I’d like to see the conditions of the hotel and such. Would that be alright?”

 

Head Manager Lee nodded. “Just ask the main receptionist for me if you need anything else.”

 

Somin nodded and waited for Head Manager Lee to close the door before turning to Hyunjoong with a big smile on her face. “This is crazy.”

 

Hyunjoong looked around with a calm expression on his face. Very unlike Somin’s. “It’s nice.”

 

She looked at him with disbelief. “It’s NICE?! Only nice?! Stop it, no one else is in here Hyunjoong, you don’t need to put on that cool act.”

 

He smirked and took her hand. “You really like this one.”

 

“It’s gorgeous.”

 

“What do you want to do today?” asked Hyunjoong. “We could follow the couples retreat itinerary or do something else. It’s up to you.”

 

Somin reached for the itinerary and plopped down on the bed. She looked over the list in front of her. “We could…go swimming, mountain climbing, golfing, or HORSEBACK RIDING!”

 

Hyunjoong looked at her bewildered. “You want to go horseback riding?! You can’t go on horses!”

 

“And why not?”

 

He laughed as he sat beside her on the bed. “You’re pregnant. You’re more susceptible to accidents.”

 

Somin looked down. “Oh…”

 

She felt him put his arm around her shoulder. “Do you really want to go?”

 

Somin nodded.

 

“Okay, how about we unpack out stuff first and then we’ll head downstairs okay?”

 

They got up from the bed and began to unpack their suitcase.

 

...........................................

 

Somin had her arm looped around Hyunjoong’s as they walked down the dirt road towards the stables. Hyunjoong had asked at the reception desk if there was a possible way for the two of them to do horseback riding. The only way was if Somin was on a carriage and Hyunjoong was riding the horse. They agreed to that and were now heading towards the stables. Somin felt her heart beat faster as they got closer and closer to the wooden stables.

 

Suddenly a man came out of the stables with a mahogany colored horse attached to an open roof wooden carriage. The man waved as he stopped the horse in front of them.

 

“The receptionist called and told me Director Kim was coming to ride a horse, so I came and brought out the best one. I’m Hee Sanghyun and this is Michelangelo.” He patted the soft mane of the horse. “Have you ridden a horse before Director Kim?”

 

“Yes I have,”

 

“Great,” He handed the horses rein to Hyunjoong. “I’ll leave you two to it then.”

 

Hyunjoong helped Somin up on the carriage. He began to rummage in his bag and produced a white sun hat. He placed it on her head. She smiled at him.

 

“When did you get this?”

 

“At the little store while you took forever in the bathroom.”

 

“Hey, when a pregnant girl has to pee then she really has to pee.”

 

They laughed. Hyunjoong got on top of the saddle and slowly began to ride off.

 

“You’re going to slow!” yelled Somin from behind.

 

“If I go any faster, you could fall off,” yelled back Hyunjoong.

 

“Just a little bit faster?!”

 

“Fine!”

 

They spent the rest of the morning riding through Jeju Island. They trotted past other villagers of Jeju Islandwho were farming. They looked at beautiful homes and commented on the pretty flowers that bloomed along the pathway. Somin loved it. Although the horse did use the bathroom quite a few many times, she loved everything.

 

After two hours of horse riding, they returned Michelangelo and decided to take a dip in the resort pool. Somin felt extremely cautious but she decided to wear a bathing suit material halter top dress that stopped mid thigh. Hyunjoong wore his bathing suit trunks. The pool water was nice. She slowly stepped into the four feet and under area of the pool and waded around. She felt really good to be in the water. Hyunjoong swam beside her and playfully splashed water at her face. They played around like that for another hour.

 

After drying off, they headed off to the pool side restaurant and ordered a late lunch. They chatted as they waited for their lunch.

 

“Oh look,” Hyunjoong pointed behind Somin.

 

Somin turned around and spotted Jinho and Yoomi walking together on the further end of the resort pools. They were talking and laughing and seemed to be having a good time.

 

She smiled as she turned back to Hyunjoong. “I guess they’re here already.”

 

“They look like their having fun,”

 

Somin wiggled her eyebrows at him. “You think they’ll you know, hook up?”

 

Hyunjoong laughed out loud. “Knowing Jinho, he’d want too. But knowing Yoomi she doesn’t seem like the type to give in too easily.”

 

Somin sat back nodding. “You’re right. But we’ll see. I like those two together.”

 

He nodded. “I met Jinho when I first started taking over the Seoul Daejo Hotel and he’s almost exactly like me. He loves girls. This is the first time I can see him settling down with just one.”

 

Somin smiled. “I hope so.”

 

Their lunch was served and they began to eat. After lunch, Somin and Hyunjoong spent the rest of the day at the beach, playing and having fun.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong plopped down on the large bed with a long sigh. They had spent the whole day out at Jeju with absolutely no time to rest. Hyunjoong liked it since he was spending the whole day with Somin but it was like she was a pregnant energy ball. She never looked exhausted just so happy and energetic. He watched her walk in the room, taking off the sun hat he had bought for her and her sunglasses. She looked at him with a sympathetic expression on her face.

 

“Tired?” She asked.

 

He nodded. “Massage my shoulders please.”

 

She laughed loudly. She looked as if she wasn’t going to but Somin eventually sat on the bed beside him.

 

Hyunjoong sat up and put his back towards her. He felt her begin to massage his shoulders.

 

“I’m only doing this because I had a good time today, don’t think this will happen often,” said Somin as she put pressure on his shoulders.

 

Hyunjoong closed his eyes ignoring her words. “Whatever,” He sighed. “This feels so good.”

 

Ten minutes later, Somin announced she was tired and headed off to the bathroom to freshen after their long and sweaty day.

 

Suddenly Hyunjoong’s phone began to ring. He took it out of his jean pocket and answered. “Hello?”

 

“Hey, it’s me Jinho.”

 

“Jinho! We saw you before by the pool with Yoomi. What’s up?”

 

 Hyunjoong heard a chuckle behind Jinho on the phone. Jinho continued, “We saw you two and Yoomi asked me to invite you guys to dinner tonight at the hotel restaurant.”

 

“Is Yoomi in the room with you?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

“Yeah, she is. Why?”

 

“You don’t have separate rooms?!”

 

“Well it is a couple’s retreat…”

 

Hyunjoong laughed. “Well I don’t mind but does Somin know about this?”

 

He heard a rustle on the phone and suddenly Yoomi’s voice appeared. “Don’t tell her Hyunjoong!”

 

Hyunjoong heard a snatch of the phone away from Yoomi. He heard Jinho say go and get ready for dinner tonight and the bathroom door closing shut. “Are you alone?” asked Jinho in a hushed tone.

 

Confused, Hyunjoong answered, “Yeah, Somin’s in the bathroom. Why are you talking like that?”

 

“Dude, I saw Maerin.”

 

“What do you mean you saw Maerin? Here on the resort?”

 

“Yeah, with another Daejo Hotel employee. She’s here for the couples retreat. I saw them golfing before when me and Yoomi went. I don’t think Yoomi saw but you can not let Somin know Maerin’s here,” said Jinho. “I don’t think you should acknowledge that she’s here either Hyunjoong. Don’t try looking for her. You just proposed to Somin, it’ll make you look bad if you go looking for her.”

 

“Are you 100% sure she’s here Jinho? Maybe you saw—“

 

“It’s her,” cut off Jinho. “How could I forget that smile of hers. Hyunjoong she was all over this guy. I think she’s waiting for you or something. She saw me with Yoomi and I think she’s hoping that you’re here too.”

 

“Thanks for the heads up Jinho,” thanked Hyunjoong.

 

“Don’t worry about it. Just come to dinner on time at 7 p.m.We’ll see you there.”

 

Just as they hung up Somin came out the bathroom wiping her face with a towel.

 

“Who was that on the phone?” She asked.

 

“It was Jinho,” Hyunjoong replied. “He and Yoomi invited us to dinner at 7 downstairs at the hotel restaurant.”

 

Her face lit up. “That sounds like fun!” Somin opened the dresser with her clothes freshly placed in it. “Is it casual or formal? Can I just wear a sun dress or something really stretchy?”

 

“It’s casual and wear whatever you’d like Somin. It’s just dinner.”

 

She slammed her dresser door shut. “Well then I won’t change at all.”

 

Hyunjoong began to smile as he saw the angry look on her face. “Are you having a mood swing again? I just said to wear whatever you’d like.”

 

Somin didn’t say a word to him as she reopened the dresser and took out a random piece of clothing. She went into the bathroom and slammed the door shut.

 

Hyunjoong laughed. “Are you mad at me right now?”

 

There was no answer.

 

“Somin, are you mad at me?” Hyunjoong got up from the bed and attempted to open the bathroom door. It was locked. He chuckled. “Stop it Somin don’t be mad.”

 

“I’m not mad, I’m annoyed.” The door pulled open and Somin stood at the doorway wearing a pale yellow maxi dress.

 

Hyunjoong leaned against the frame with his arms crossed. “The reason why I tell you wear whatever because whatever you wear looks beautiful on you no matter what type of clothing it is.”

 

Somin hit him on the arm as he pushed him aside to make room for her to get out. “Nice try.”

 

Hyunjoong shrugged, turning around and away from the bathroom. “At least I tried.”

 

...........................................

 

Hyunjoong picked up his glass of water and took a sip as he looked around the outdoor restaurant. His senses were on full alert ever since Jinho told Hyunjoong that Maerin was on the island. So far, nothing. He didn’t see her with any guy or anything. It was hard to stay focused with Jinho, Yoomi, and Somin. But he was trying his best.

 

All he could get from the mix of the conversation was Yoomi explaining to Somin in detail about their day so far. He watched Somin smile and laugh as she talked. A small smile appeared on his own face watching how happy she was. He didn’t want to ruin it for Somin by letting her see Maerin on the island. He couldn’t let Maerin have another one of her talks to Somin again.

 

“So what do you think?”

 

Hyunjoong snapped out of his dazed and looked towards the owner of the voice.

 

“Hyunjoong? What do you think?” asked Somin. “Don’t you think we’ll have fun?”

 

Hyunjoong turned to Jinho for assistance.

 

“Well I think snorkeling would be fun,” interrupted Jinho.

 

“Yeah it would be but Somin you would have to be careful,” replied Hyunjoong.

 

She rolled her eyes. “I have to be careful about everything Yoomi!”

 

Hyunjoong mouthed thank you to Jinho who only nodded.

 

Don’t stray away Hyunjoong. Don’t stray away.  

 

...........................................

 

“Thanks for dinner.”

 

Hyunjoong put his arm around Somin’s shoulders as they said good night to Jinho and Yoomi at the elevator. They waited until the two of them got in and left.

 

He heard Somin sigh. “I can’t wait to jump into bed.”

 

“How about you go on up ahead,” said Hyunjoong as he looked down at her.

 

“You’re not coming up with me?” asked Somin.

 

He shook his head. “I’m going to ask Head Manager Lee a bit about the hotel and look over some paper work. I’ll be up in a little bit so it won’t take long.”

 

She nodded. “Alright,” She pressed the elevator door button. “Don’t stay out too long.”

 

Hyunjoong gave her a small wave as he watched her enter the elevator and head on up upstairs.

 

He waited a minute before heading to the front reception desk. He was greeted by a young receptionist.

 

“Can I have the list of guests from the Seoul Daejo Hotel that are staying here for the couples retreat?”

 

“Certainly Director Kim,” She began to type on the computer. Once she found what he needed, she printed it out for him and handed the paper.

 

He quickly scanned the list and found Maerin’s name on it. “Is Park Maerin in her room right now?”

 

She typed away on the computer. “It says here she took some towels from the pool room and is at the pool right now.”

 

Hyunjoong handed her the list. “Thank you,”

 

He began to make his way out of the hotel and to the pool. The pool was practically empty with a few people here and there. It was dark and the only light that were available were the pool lights and lamps that looked like candles lit on every pool side table.

 

It wasn’t that hard to spot her. She was lounging on a pool chair, reading a magazine by the light.

 

He approached her slowly. “Maerin?”

 

She looked up at him with a coy smile on her face. “Hyunjoong, I knew you’d come and find me.”

 

“Why are you here on Jeju Island Maerin?”

 

She shrugged. “I was invited by one of the stock holder’s sons. One date set up by our parents landed me here.”

 

“Look, its fine that you’re here. I could care less. What I do care about is if Somin finds out you’re here.”

 

“You’ve really come to care a lot for her.” Maerin placed the magazine on the table and got up from her pool chair. She took a cover up from the chair and shrugged it on. “It’s easy to change your mind isn’t it Hyunjoong.”

 

Hyunjoong could the feel the anger rise within him. She was really acting coldly towards her.

 

“Well, you can easily just leave me for someone else,” She walked towards Hyunjoong. “And forget that we’ve ever had a relationship. It’s so easy for you. But it’s not for me.”

 

“You know why I had to leave Maerin. I didn’t intend to fall in love with her but I did. You acting this way doesn’t make you look any less pathetic than I am.”

 

Her eyes met his. “You have no right to call me pathetic.”

 

“Pathetic is begging my fiancée to leave me to go back to you! I wouldn’t be calling you pathetic if you weren’t acting this way!” yelled Hyunjoong.

 

“Fiancée…?” She whispered.

 

Hyunjoong’s face softened as he saw the pain in her eyes. “Yes, fiancée.”

 

Maerin let out a scoff. “I’m hurt, you promised to marry me someday.”

 

“Things change.”

 

Maerin leaned in close to his face placing her hands on his chest for support. She looked up at him just as if she was about to kiss him. “But your feelings for me haven’t.”

 

Hyunjoong looked down at her and stared into her eyes. It was as if she was inviting him to kiss her. But he won’t. Whatever Maerin and him had was over. But why did his heart begin to beat faster? It wasn’t the same rapid pace of beat he used to experience with her when they first started dating. Instead it was a familiar feeling. A feeling as if he had missed something that was gone for a long time. Was she right? Did he still have feelings for her? He didn’t know. One thing for sure was he couldn’t stop staring at the face that had brought him happiness but pain at the same time.

 

Suddenly, she leaned in and kissed him on the cheeks.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Somin entered the hotel suite, by herself. She the lights and set the room card down on the dresser table. She shrugged off the light shawl she had worn over her dress during dinner and placed it on the bed.

 

Her eye caught sight of her cell phone laying on the desk blinking. She crossed the room and found that it was a text message from Yoomi.

 

‘Maerin is on the island. –Yoomi’

 

Somin looked up from her cell phone with shock. How could she be here? Where was Hyunjoong now? She quickly dialed Hyunjoong’s number on her phone. After a few rings, it was obvious that he wasn’t going to answer. She threw the phone in frustration on the bed.

 

How is it possible that Maerin is on the island the same time her and Hyunjoong go? She just couldn’t get away from her.

 

Somin looked to her left and saw a double door that she hadn’t seen before when she was exploring. Seeing the view from the window, she assumed it was a balcony. She put on the shawl she had on before, opened the door and stepped out into the cool night air of Jeju Island.

 

Her eyes wandered around the area and landed on the pool area. Her balcony was right across from the pool. Her eyes focused on two figures by the pool light standing very close to each other. They looked like they were arguing.

 

As she looked at the two figures closer, Somin realized it was Hyunjoong and Maerin. She leaned against the banister. Hyunjoong was now yelling while Maerin stood and listened.

 

Then, she moved up to him, placed her hands on his chest and leaned towards his face. Somin held her breath in waiting for what she hoped wouldn’t happen next.

 

Maerin leaned in and kissed Hyunjoong on the cheeks. Somin kept watching, hoping that Hyunjoong would push her away. Instead, he just stood there staring at her. Somin backed away from the balcony and went back inside the suite.

 

She wrapped her shawl around her tighter as she processed what she just saw. Somin didn’t know how to feel. He…didn’t move away from her. He didn’t push her away. He accepted it.

 

Somin wasn’t sure, but she was mad. Very mad. He lied to her and went to go off and meet Maerin. Who wouldn’t be mad? Somin grabbed for her cell phone on the bed and dialed a number right away.

 

Once she heard Yoomi’s voice, her own voice quivered as she said, “Hey, I need to talk to you.”