Make Things Right

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin stared at Maerin. She was the last person that Somin wanted to see. It hurt so much to look at her. It hurt so much.

 

“It’s been a long time,” started Maerin.

 

“You too, Maerin.”

 

They starred at each other silently. Maerin had gotten prettier. Her long jet black hair from five years had gotten longer and thicker. She wore more make up that high lighted her features and wore clothes that easily identified her as rich. Somin was annoyed by her presence.

 

“I know that I’m the last person that you want to see but I came here to explain something to you.”

 

That ticked off Somin. “So your way of explaining is to cause a possible major roadway accident?! Why couldn’t you call like a normal person?”

 

“Because when I call,” replied Maerin. “I either get your voicemail or one of your secretaries telling me to call another time.”

 

“That’s the point Maerin. I want to ignore you as much as possible.”

 

Maerin shook her head. “We can’t ignore this Somin.”

 

“Yes we can,” Somin sighed and turned away. “Look, I have a kid in the car. You’re lucky we didn’t get hurt. If you have nothing else to say I’ll be going now.”

 

Somin her heel as she began walking back to the car.

 

“I’m not done talking to you Somin!” yelled out Maerin. “I’m trying to tell you that I’m not dating Hyunjoong!”

 

Somin stopped at the mention of his name. “Don’t talk to me about him Maerin.”

 

“Listen to me!” Maerin began walking up to Somin. “I’m not dating with him and I have no interest in him anymore. He doesn’t love me like he loves you Somin. At the party, that was all a misunderstanding. I was there with my boyfriend not with Hyunjoong. He was there for you.”

 

Somin turned around at Maerin with tears in her eyes. “How am I supposed to believe you?! Five years ago you couldn’t let go of Hyunjoong because you were so deeply in love with him. You tried everything in your power to get him back. He left me when I was pregnant with his child for you. He cheated on me with you. So how am I supposed to believe you?!”

 

“I was young back then Somin. I was madly in love unrequitedly with a man who had grown up and accepted his responsibilities. You don’t have to believe me Somin but trust me when I say that for the past five years all Hyunjoong has wanted back is you!” Maerin couldn’t hold in her own tears as she too began to cry. “I can’t bare to see him unhappy when I’m so happy.”

 

“Your guilt is not my problem,” spat Somin as she backed away from Maerin. Cars around them were starting to beep and whiz pass by. “I’m not in Seoul to take back a man who has betrayed my trust. I have no time for petty issues. I have a company to run. I have Eli to love and care for. I don’t have time for this Maerin. Please, don’t come see me ever again like this.”

 

Without another word, Somin turned back around and headed back towards her car. Once she got in, she looked back at Eli making sure he was okay and drove off.

 

Everything today was just…going bad. Ten minutes later, they arrived at her parent’s home. Eli opened the car door once she parked and began walking inside without a word. Somin sighed as she turned off the car and followed behind.

 

“Eli, we need to talk!” Somin closed the front door behind her as she watched Eli run up the stairs. She sighed in frustration as she walked through the foyer. Ahjumma was standing there with snack food in her hands.

 

“What’s going on Somin?”

 

“He knows…he knows that Hyunjoong’s in Seoul and he knows that that’s his dad.” Somin ran her fingers through her hair. She looked at Ahjumma with a cocked head as tears fell from her eyes. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

 

Ahjumma put a hand on her cheek and wiped away her tears. “Leave him for now. Let Eli cool down. I think you should visit your parents.”

 

...........................................

 

Somin arrived outside of her dad’s hospital room suite. She paused for a moment at the door waiting for her mom’s familiar shuffling around the room. Once she heard that she was inside, Somin gently knocked on the door and entered.

 

Her mom was walking around the room cleaning misplaced items here and there. She looked up from wiping the coffee table and smiled. She made an O-shape with her lips and put a finger to it. She then pointed at her father’s bed, stating that he was asleep. She walked up to her quietly.

 

“Let’s go down to the cafeteria,” Her mother whispered.

 

Somin nodded as her moms reassuring arm linked around hers as they made their way to the cafeteria. Her mom sat her down at a table and went off to get some food. She returned with two bowls of seaweed soup.

 

“So,” said her mom as she took a sip of her soup. “What’s going on? You always call before you come down to the hospital.”

 

Somin looked down at her soup and swirled the contents of it around with her spoon. “Eli knows that Hyunjoong’s in Seoul.”

 

Her mom looked up at her and dropped her spoon. “Hyunjoong knows where you are?”

 

Somin scoffed. “Well it’s not that hard to find out Mom.”

 

“Oh my god, Somin why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

 

She shrugged. “There’s nothing you could have done Mom. Eli recognizes his father. I thought he would forget about him when he was three but he kept that picture of Hyunjoong I have in his backpack and Hyunjoong came to the school today and he looked so happy but I…I couldn’t bare to see those two together. I can’t let him in our lives Mom. I can’t let him hurt us anymore.”

 

Her mom sighed. “Somin, I’m sorry but it’s not about you anymore. Honey, I know how hurt you are but this is for Eli now. He needs a father and it’s not too late.”

 

“I know that Mom but it just hurts so much!”

 

“You have to ignore those feelings and do this for Eli. He’s always wanted a dad and Somin you just have to let it happen.” Her mom put a hand on top of hers. “You have to make things right, for the sake of Eli.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“You have a phone call on line 4,”

 

Hyunjoong looked up at his assistant from his desk. He was engulfed with paperwork for a new project to expand hotels in the European side of the world. He was busy. It had been four days of work. “Tell whoever it is that I’m in a meeting.”

 

His assistant nodded as she went back to the phones. Before he knew it, she was back in his office. “She said it’s important.”

 

“She?”

 

“Jung Somin,”

 

He starred at her before nodding. “Alright, I’ll take it.” He waited for his assistant to leave. His hand paused over the phone before picking it up. “Hello?”

 

“It’s me.”

 

“I know,” replied Hyunjoong. He felt a rush of adrenaline course through his body. It had been a couple of days since he last heard her voice.

 

“Do you have time to meet for lunch?”

 

Hyunjoong’s heart began to beat faster. “What time?”

 

“Anytime around noon I’m fine.”

 

“Does this mean you’re ready to talk to me?”

 

He heard a pause before she answered. “Yes.”

 

“Alright, meet me downstairs in the hotel restaurant in thirty minutes?”

 

“Okay,”

 

Hyunjoong waited for her to hang up before calling for his assistant. She popped her head in with a questioning look. “Cancel the meeting I have in thirty minutes and the rest of my afternoon.”

 

“But those can’t—“

 

“Just do it,” He stood up from his seat and began to fix his tie. “I…have a lunch date.”

 

His assistant smiled at the word date and nodded. “Reschedule them all for tomorrow?”

 

He nodded as he began walking out of his office. “Hold all my calls and don’t bother me unless it’s an emergency for an hour, okay?”

 

Hyunjoong began making his way downstairs towards the lobby and to his right where the hotel restaurant was located. He greeted the maitre de who immediately sat him at a table. As Hyunjoong sat down, memories of this restaurant began to flood in his mind. He chuckled to himself as he recalled the morning after they had…drunk . She was so innocent looking and naive. He remembered how he had because he had never thought he would one day fall in love with her, cheat on her, lose her and their child for five years, and find her again.

 

Hyunjoong starred at the door until Somin appeared. The maitre de pointed her over at Hyunjoong and their eyes met. She gave him a small nod as she walked over and sat in the seat across from him.

 

A waitress swooped in and began asking for their orders. Once she left, Hyunjoong turned his attention back to Somin. “What are we meeting for?”

 

Somin took a sip of her water before answering, “I’m here to talk about Eli.”

 

“Eli? Is he alright?” wondered Hyunjoong. “Did he talk about me?”

 

She gave him a small smile. “He’s fine and yes he can’t stop talking about you to my housekeeper but he won’t talk to me.”

 

Hyunjoong smirked. “Is he mad at you because you didn’t tell him about me?”

 

“Oh no Kim Hyunjoong, I told him about you. He has the right to know but that was when he was only three years old. The fact that I hid that you’re here in Seoul is what he’s mad about.”

 

He chuckled. “He’s a smart kid.”

 

Somin nodded. “That is why I want you and him to be father and son. I may not like it but it’s what he needs. I hate to say it but he’s our child. I can’t continue hiding you away from him so I won’t.”

 

“So…you’re giving me joint custody.”

 

“But you have to promise me one thing Hyunjoong, you can’t hurt him like you hurt me.”

 

“Somin…”

 

She shook her head to stop him from talking. “You have to promise me this. Eli is my world. He’s the reason I’m living. He’s the reason why I work so hard. He’s my baby. I have to trust you on this.”

 

Hyunjoong silently nodded, indicating that she could trust Eli with him.

 

“Alright,” said Somin. “I’m going to go.” She began gathering her things. “You can pick him up after school if you want, just let me know if you do.”

 

“You’re leaving? But you didn’t even have lunch yet…”

 

“I’ll be fine.” She stood up from her chair.

 

“Wait,”

 

She stopped without looking back.

 

“What about us?” Hyunjoong asked delicately as if the question was made of glass.

 

“Just text me if you’re going to pick up Eli after school.” With that, Somin walked away leaving Hyunjoong silently in his seat watching her leave.

 

...........................................

 

Hyunjoong stood outside of his car in front of Eli’s elementary school. The school bell rang and kids began filing out of the doors. Hyunjoong spotted Eli running towards him. He smiled and waved him over.

 

“Are you here to pick me up?” asked Eli breathlessly with a large smile on his face.

 

Hyunjoong reached over and pinched his cheek. “Yes, hop in.” He opened the door for Eli, waited for him to climb in, and closed the door. He walked over to the driver’s side and got in as well. He turned to Eli. “So, what do you want to do today?”

 

He shrugged.

 

Hyunjoong started the car and began to drive. “How about we go get that donut I promised you and we can head out to a park.”

 

Eli nodded agreeing.

 

They headed out and Hyunjoong found the nearest donut shop. He brought Eli inside and ordered a box of munchkins and a cup of coffee for himself. Eli didn’t want to stay in the store so Hyunjoong decided to drive off to the park. Eli ran towards the jungle gym, crawled under, and sat in the middle of it. Hyunjoong laughed to himself and followed suit. He helped Eli pry open the munchkin box and watched him dig into it.

 

“Hey kiddo, how come your mad at your mommy? Shouldn’t you be mad at me?”

 

“She lied to me,” responded Eli with a mouth full of munchkins.

 

“Yeah, she lied to you but it was only to protect you.”

 

“But you’re my dad. I don’t need protection from you. You may not love mom anymore but that doesn’t mean you don’t love me.”

 

Hyunjoong looked at him confused. “What makes you think I don’t love mom?”

 

“Because she told me,”

 

“Told you what?”

 

“That you don’t love her like she loves me.”

 

Hyunjoong shook his head. “That’s not true. I love your mom very much.”

 

“Then why did you leave us?” asked Eli.

 

“I…I don’t know Eli. I really don’t know.”

 

“Then you just have to make it up to us now.”

 

Hyunjoong smiled as he put a hand on Eli’s shoulder. “Don’t worry Eli. I will.”

 

...........................................

 

“Do you have a curfew?”

 

“Yeah, mom says I have to be home by six o’ clock.”

 

“Alright then, we should go on ahead and bring you back home.”

 

Hyunjoong and Eli began walking towards his car and Hyunjoong began driving them home. He arrived outside of Somin’s parent’s house and parked in the driveway. He helped Eli get out of the car.

 

“Will you pick me up tomorrow?” asked Eli as he shrugged on his backpack.

 

Hyunjoong smiled. “Sure,”

 

“Are you going to come inside?”

 

Hyunjoong laughed. “You have a lot of questions kiddo. But I can’t stay tonight I have to go to my own home too.”

 

Eli nodded. “I’ll see you tomorrow…dad.”

 

Hyunjoong nodded as he watched him run off inside the house. Suddenly he saw Somin appear outside the door and greet Eli with a hug. She spoke to him for a second before gently pushing him inside. She looked over at Hyunjoong and began making her way towards him. She was wearing a baggy v-neck gray t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Her hair was half up and her hands were in her pockets. She looked so different outside of work.

 

“Hey,” She began. “Thanks for bringing him home.”

 

“He wants me to pick him up tomorrow.”

 

Somin shrugged. “Why not, he’s home safe and on time too. He told you about his curfew didn’t he?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded smiling. “Yes he did.” Hyunjoong looked down at his watch. “I should get going. You should go inside. It’s cold out.”

 

Somin starred at him. They stayed quiet for a moment before she said, “Come inside and stay for dinner.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Somin starred at father and son as they chit chatted throughout the dinner. She sat across from the two and could easily see ahjumma giving her a thumbs up from the living room. It was her idea to let Hyunjoong have dinner and Somin was completely against it. But of course ahjumma had persuaded her…well forced her to do it and so she did. Now, she was silently starring at her dinner completely left out of the conversation.

 

She picked at the steak that was lying there untouched. She felt so uncomfortable but he didn’t. It was like this was natural to him. She could see Eli loving it.

 

“Do you play soccer?”

 

“Soccer? I love soccer! It’s my favorite sport,” exclaimed Hyunjoong. “Are you on a team?”

 

Eli shook his head. “Not yet, Mommy says that I’m still too small to be on a team.”

 

“Hey, you’re not too small. Well until mom gives permission, how about you and I play soccer and we can be our own team.”

 

“Really?!”

 

Hyunjoong nodded excitedly.

 

Somin chuckled. “Well I’m done with dinner.”

 

Hyunjoong looked up at her and then at her plate. “You haven’t even touched anything.”

 

She stood up and began clearing the table. “Well, I guess I have no appetite.” She pointed at Eli. “You need to go and do your homework.”

 

Eli looked at Hyunjoong with big brown eyes. “Will you help me do my homework?”

 

She saw Hyunjoong smile as he patted his head. “Sure,”

 

She watched them go off into the living room. Eli began setting up his books and notebooks on the coffee table. Ahjumma quickly came into the kitchen, helping Somin to clear up. She began piling the dishes in the sink.

 

“He’s handsome!” whispered Ahjumma as she came up to Somin with more dishes. “I can see where Eli got his looks.”

 

“Well that kid has my eyes,” replied Somin as she began soaping the dishes. “I can’t believe you made me invite him for dinner.”

 

Ahjumma smiled. “What? I wanted to see what he looks like and I’m glad that I got to.”

 

Somin flicked a soap sud at her. “If you’re just going to talk about how handsome he is than why don’t you go to the living room?”

 

Ahjumma stuck out a tongue at her and left. She was such a child sometimes despite her old age.  

 

Suddenly, her cell phone began to ring. She turned off the sink water, wiped her hands, and answered it. “Hello?”

 

Her heart felt as if it had been crushed by weights as Somin heard Jinho’s gasping breaths filled with tears. She could barely make out what he was saying but she knew something was wrong. “Jinho, where are you?”

 

“Hos—sspital,” quivered Jinho. “Seoul National Hospital.”

 

“Alright, I’ll be right there.” Somin quickly hung up and ran to the foyer to put on her shoes. “Hyunjoong!”

 

 

“What’s wrong?” He ran up to her as she began putting on her jacket.

 

“Tell Ahjumma to watch Eli, you have to drive me to the hospital.”

 

“Hospital?”

 

“Just do it!” She yelled. Her hands began to shake as she zipped up her jacket.

 

Hyunjoong looked into her eyes. Once seeing the panic and concern he nodded, “Okay, wait outside for me.”

 

She nodded as she walked outside to his car. As she gripped on the car for support, her heart began to beat sporadically. She knew…there was something devastatingly wrong with Yoomi.