It's Time

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Jung Somin stared at the massive pile of work that had accumulated on her desk over the week. She picked up a random file and quickly examined it before throwing it back on her desk. Her dad’s work was no joke.

 

“President?”

 

Somin turned around to find one of her dad’s many assistants by the door.

 

“Yes?”

 

She handed Somin a familiar royal blue folder that came every week. It contained next week’s itinerary. “Thanks, do I have any meetings this afternoon?”

 

“No,” replied the assistant. “You’re actually free for the rest of the day.”

 

Somin scoffed. “With all this work I probably won’t get out of here until late.” She pointed to the pile of mess. “But you all should go home early today. Its Friday, I wouldn’t want you to have to stay here and work.”

 

“Are you sure President?”

 

Somin nodded. “It’s been a busy week.”

 

The assistant bowed her head and exited the room.

 

It had been a week since Somin had taken over and she was so busy. It was no longer the busy work of a cell phone designer. Her father had woken up two days ago and he was in no condition to go back to work. It would take months to a year of therapy before he could get back up on his feet again.

 

Somin sighed as she sat back down on the office chair. She swiveled around and the CD player. Music began to play and Somin dove into her work.

 

Hours flew by and a knock on the door interrupted Somin’s concentration. She looked at the time and it was late afternoon.

 

“Come in,”

 

“Mom!”

 

Somin immediately jumped up from her seat and hugged Eli. “Hey kiddo, how was school?”

 

Eli shrugged. “I miss Sunmi but I made a lot of new friends today.”

 

“I know you miss Sunmi but you call her almost every night! Besides, we’ll visit her soon. I’m glad you made a lot of new friends. Do you have a lot of homework today?”

 

Eli shook his head, “Just math,”

 

“Okay, you go and do your homework on the couch over there and I’ll ask someone to bring up a snack for you.”

 

He nodded and began to unpack his school things on the couch. Somin ordered an assistant to bring up a snack. Somin sat back down on the office chair and looked at Eli with a smile. She suddenly felt so relieved. She loved that effect he had on her.

 

Suddenly, Somin’s cell phone began to ring. She looked at the caller ID. It was Yoomi.

 

“Hey you,” answered Somin as she cradled her phone between her shoulder and ear. “What’s up?”

 

“I want you and Eli to come over for dinner tonight,” replied Yoomi. “You haven’t been to our home in a long time.”

 

“Ah, you’re right we both haven’t been there since you got married,” said Somin. “What time?”

 

“Around 7, and leave all your work at the office!”

 

...........................................

 

Somin and Eli arrived outside of Yoomi and Jinho’s sky high apartment. Eli kept excitedly talking about how big and tall the building was during their ride to one of the top floors that held the penthouses. Eli wouldn’t remember when they were last here since he was only three years old.

 

Once they reached the floor, Eli hurriedly rang the doorbell.

 

Jinho opened the door with a big smile on his face and opened arms ready for Eli to hug him.

 

Eli did so by running into his arms. “Uncle Jinho!”

 

Yoomi popped her head behind Jinho, who was now tickling Eli to death, and waved her hand at Somin. “I’d give you a hug but I’m afraid I’m just too big.”

 

They laughed and Yoomi led Somin inside. Not much has changed since she’s last been here except for personal touches like pictures and what not. The penthouse was large and luxurious, a place where every newlywed couple would be jealous of. When Jinho had learned that Hyunjoong had basically dumped Somin, he had quit his job at the hotel and got into the stock business. He hit it big with his company and became very successful. As with Yoomi, she continued to work in her father’s phone company until her pregnancy.

 

“I made pasta and we have garlic bread and salad. Very American,” chuckled Yoomi.

 

Somin put a hand on her friend’s shoulder. “You didn’t have to do all this you know.”

 

Yoomi shrugged. “I know but I wanted to do it. You haven’t had some of my cooking in a while.”

 

They all sat down to dinner and began to eat. Yoomi had outdone herself, as the food was delicious. They all enjoyed each others presence. They all talked with Eli mostly leading the conversations. Somin had that warm feeling in her heart whenever they all gathered together. The feeling of being a family. They all had been through hardships together and being able to meet happily like this was a true blessing.

 

After a while, Jinho and Eli went off to play a game console in the living room while Yoomi and her had tea in the kitchen.

 

“How’s work?” asked Yoomi. “Every time I call, an assistant is always telling me to either hold or call another time. I assume it’s harder than what you expected.”

 

Somin sighed. She leaned against the granite table top, crossed an arm across her chest and with her other hand held the cup of tea. She took a sip before answering, “It’s just as hard as being the president of our country. This company, its products, employees, and stock holders are putting all their trust on me. I can’t be the slightest bit wavered by anything. I have to be focused and concentrated all the time and on high alert. “

 

“You’re under the public’s eye as well. This past week, your face has been almost on every magazine cover I find and in newspapers. You’re everywhere.”

 

“I know and for that I have to be careful.”

 

Yoomi looked away from her and stared at her cup of tea. “What if something does happen to you?”

 

Somin looked at her confused. “What do you mean Yoomi?”

 

“Like, what if something from the past decides to show up in your life.”

 

Somin looked at her with concerned eyes. “I…don’t understand what you mean but if that were to happen to me, I have to do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn’t affect the company. Is there something going on Yoomi?”

 

She shook her head. “No, its nothing at all, it’s just that I’m worried you’ll get hurt along the way.”

 

“I won’t get hurt Yoomi, I’ll be on guard.” Somin turned away and looked at Jinho and Eli, having fun playing the game console. “I have Eli. He’s all I need right now.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

It was Saturday morning, Hyunjoong arrived in his office and began getting settled in. Today was supposed to be a relax day but Hyunjoong knew not to expect much. He looked down at his desk and stared at the pile of mail that just came in today.  A particular black glossed envelope stood out. He took it out from the pile and flipped it over with his hand. On it, with silver chrome lettering, was his name, the hotel name and address. He delicately opened the envelope and took out an equally fancy one sided card.

 

This weekend marked the annual formal dinner party between all major companies, businesses, and hotels of Seoul called The Secret Party. It was held by the richest family of Seoul. It was only called secret because it was private invitation only and no paparazzi allowed. It was an event to gain trusts between new and old partnerships and to get the attention of the rich. Every year, Daejo Hotels were invited and Hyunjoong went to represent them. It was a big deal for the hotel, for all their partnerships and alliances attended. It was Hyunjoong’s job to schmooze and keep Daejo Hotels’ reputation as the best in the country.

 

Hyunjoong reached for his office phone and pressed a button that called his assistant. “I need a brand new suit, pressed and cleaned by this afternoon.”

 

“Yes sir,”

 

Hyunjoong leaned back into his chair and sighed. He wondered if Somin was going to be there. Her company was one of the largest and most influential businesses and in his memory Mr. and Mrs. Jung always attended.

 

Hyunjoong reached into his pocket and produced out his cell phone. He dialed a number and waited for his call to be answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey Maerin it’s me,” replied Hyunjoong into the phone. “Are you going to The Secret Party?”

 

He heard a laugh. “Of course I’m going to The Secret Party Hyunjoong. I’ve had a dress reserved for over a year now.”

 

Hyunjoong smiled. “I’ll see you there then.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Tonight you will be attending The Secret Party. The Secret Party is a huge formal dinner that consists of rich families and highly successful businesses in Seoul. It’s an excellent opportunity to make friends with other businesses that may be helpful in the future. You have to attend.” Mr. Seo held up the invitation in his hand to show Somin. “You have to dress to impress.”

 

“So you mean, this is a formal thing and really important,” said Somin as she snatched the invitation from his hand and observed it.

 

Mr. Seo nodded. “I’ll help you with dress, make up and what not. I suggest that you find a date.”

 

Somin laughed. “A date?! Can I just bring Eli?”

 

“No!” snapped Mr. Seo. “Bring a proper date.”

 

“Look,” said Somin leaning on the desk. “I’ll go to this Secret Party. But I’ll bring who I want.”

 

Mr. Seo sighed signaling that he had given in. “Fine, but please look nice.”

 

Somin smirked. “Don’t worry about my looks Mr. Seo.”

 

 ...........................................

 

“Are you ready Somin?”

 

Somin heard Yoomi’s voice through the curtains. She had just gotten her dress zipped up. She looked at herself in the dressing room mirror. It seemed too much for her. The dress she had put on was Mr. Seo’s suggestion. “I’m going to come out!”

 

The curtain pulled back and revealed Somin in her dress. She heard Yoomi gasp as she stared at Somin.

 

“It’s beautiful Somin!”

 

Somin looked down at her dress worriedly. “Are you sure? It seems a little too much.”

 

The dress Somin had on was a floor length dress, which had a large poof that consisted of pearl pink ruffles. It tiered from the shortest layer to the longest. The top part was a tight sweetheart neck line that accentuated her chest. The material was a light pink which was hidden under the elaborate golden embroidery. If Mr. Seo wanted her to stand out, this was the dress that would do it. (http://www.okbbaru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/romantic-ball-gown-wedding-dress-1.jpg)

 

“Somin, it’s perfect for your debut at the Secret Party,” Yoomi snickered. “Secret Party, really? Is that all the rich people could come up with?”

 

Somin shrugged. “Well I think that’s just the nickname. There’s really no official name to it. It’s just an event that brings the powers of Seoul to one place.”

 

Yoomi stood up from the dressing room couch and circled around Somin. “Well whatever it’s called, you’ll look like the most intriguing woman there.”

 

“Hey Yoomi, I want you and Jinho to come with me to this thing,” said Somin as she felt Yoomi smooth out the ruffles. “Please, I’ll be so alone without you guys.”

 

Yoomi smiled. “Are you sure Somin? We weren’t invited or anything.”

 

“Come on, I know you’re at least a bit interested. Just come please?” Somin held onto Yoomi’s hand. “We’ll get you a pretty new dress.”

 

“With this pregnant belly?!”

 

Somin turned to the dress assistant. “Do you have any formal maternity dresses?”

 

The dress assistant nodded and went off to get dresses for Yoomi.

 

Yoomi looked as if she was going to object but Somin stopping her before she could. “Just do it.”

 

A couple of minutes later, the dress assistant arrived with a rack of clothes for Yoomi to try.

 

Somin pushed Yoomi into the changing room, laughing her head off as Yoomi tried to run away.

 

At least at The Secret Party, she’ll have Yoomi and Jinho by her side.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong walked out of the dressing room adjusting his pearl pink tie as he walked towards Maerin who was sitting on the dressing room couch.

 

“Is that what you asked to be reserved for you?” asked Maerin.

 

Hyunjoong nodded. “Does it look nice?”

 

“Very sharp,” Maerin looked past him. “Now where’s my boyfriend?”

 

“He’s coming out soon, are you sure I look okay?”

 

Maerin chuckled. “You look fine. Are you trying to impress someone?”

 

“No one,” replied Hyunjoong. “I just want to know so that I don’t make a fool of myself.”

 

Maerin rolled her eyes. “Honey! Are you done yet?”

 

“Yeah!” Her boyfriend, Kim Dongwon, stepped out of the dressing room. Just like Hyunjoong he was adjusting his tie.

 

Maerin jumped up and began helping him, murmuring that it was the perfect match for her dress.

 

Hyunjoong smiled. He was happy for Maerin. He knew she had fully moved on and Hyunjoong was thankful for that. There would be no more feelings of guilt on moving on towards the one person that made him truly happy.

 

Hyunjoong put a hand on Dongwon’s shoulder. “You’re lucky man, you’ve got a good girl here for you.”

 

Dongwon looked up and smiled at Maerin. “That I know,” He turned to Hyunjoong. “How about you? Got any girl waiting at home for you?”

 

“He has one,” cut in Maerin. “But he’s too afraid to be rejected, right Hyunjoong?”

 

Hyunjoong scoffed. “I’m not afraid of that Maerin. I’m just afraid she won’t forgive me.”

 

“Look if my girl hunches are correct, you hope to see Somin at the party tonight right?”

 

“Somin? You mean Jung Somin of Jung Tech Cell Phone Company?” asked Dongwon. “She’s everywhere! But wait, I heard she has a kid.”

 

Hyunjoong looked at him with a stare. “Yeah, that kid is my kid.”

 

“Honey,” said Maerin as she began pushing him back towards the dressing room. “How about you ask one of the nice assistants if they can give you a wider selection of ties and bows, maybe even some patterned ones. Go on and keep yourself busy over there. Let me talk to Hyunjoong for a second.”

 

Dongwon nodded as he walked away, giving Hyunjoong an apologetic look before conversing with one of the assistants.

 

Maerin looked back at Hyunjoong with a sigh. “You men are all the same. But Hyunjoong look, tonight is the night. She’ll definitely be there. It’s time…Hyunjoong for you to get her back.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Jung Somin over here!”

 

“Over here! Smile!”

 

“Your dress is beautiful! Who’s it made by?”

 

“Who are these people with you?”

 

“How is the company going Somin?!”

 

Somin looked at a camera and smile. She then turned to Yoomi and Jinho and whispered, “So much for a private event.”

 

Jinho snickered. “Its publicity dear Somin,”

 

Somin, Yoomi, and Jinho continued walking up the stairs to the event. The stairs were covered with a deep royal purple carpet with golden embroidery. Once the three reached the top of the stairs, they were greeted by two men dressed in sharp black suits. They bowed down to them, separated, and began to open the two large golden doors.

 

Behind the doors, revealed a shocking décor of luxury and elegance. It literally took all their breaths away, as the three of them stepped inside the venue. The floor was made of golden marble, velvet tapestries of purple hung on the walls, and a chandelier the size of a small rooftop adorned the ceilings as its crystals glistened one by one. Two large rectangle tables covered with cream colored fabric, held appetizers and delicacies. Round dinner tables were set to the sides of the room. Soft romantic music played through as people began to mingle.

 

Yoomi took Somin by the arm and leaned in close. “All eyes are on you,”

 

It was true. As Somin looked around, many people were looking at her and whispering. She looked at the dresses of others and realized hers was the most extravagant of all.

 

“Walk proud,” whispered Jinho in the other ear. “You look beautiful my friend.”

 

Yoomi grabbed for Jinho’s hand. “Look at all the food! It’s like heaven for a pregnant lady!” Yoomi began to drag Jinho to the appetizer table.

 

Somin decided it would be the best time to mingle with other people as well. She’ll just have to wait until Yoomi is done eating to her heart’s content.

 

A few business men with their wives approached Somin and began to talk to her. They complimented her on her dress and the good work she was doing in the company. They talked for a bit more before retreating to mingle with others. Somin walked around bowing at all the older businessmen, making sure to be polite as possible.

 

She passed by a group of people who all extended their greetings. Somin smiled and let them past her. She waved at them with a smile. Once they left, she turned around. Somin looked up to find Yoomi and Jinho but instead her eyes caught eyes with another. She stood frozen in her spot.

 

Hyunjoong’s eyes bore into hers as they stared at each other across the room. She felt her heart beat a thousand miles per minute. He looked the same as he did five years ago, except for a shorter haircut. It was as if he hadn’t aged at all.

 

Suddenly, someone moved close to him. A woman in a royal blue floor length dress went up to him. She flipped her wavy black hair to one side and turned to look at what Hyunjoong was staring at so intensely. The woman was Park Maerin. Somin looked away, fighting back tears. They were still together.

 

She felt a warm hand lightly touch her on the small of her back. A shadow blocked her vision. She looked up and found Jinho looking down at her. He noded his head towards the exit and they begin walking that way. Yoomi is beside her, holding her and Jinho’s hand tightly.

 

From behind her, Somin hears people whispering and making room for her. Tears begin to escape from her eyes. Jinho quickens up the pace and finds a back door. He opens it to reveal stairs. They begin going down with Yoomi struggling to follow along. Somin tells Jinho to tend to Yoomi and that she’ll meet them at the parking lot. He nods at her and Somin runs down ahead.

 

She reaches the parking lot and begins to run towards a pillar. She stops behind the pillar and puts a hand on it for support as she breathed heavily in and out. Her heart was beating out of control.

 

“Somin!” Yoomi’s voice rang throughout the lot. “Somin!”

 

Somin heard their footsteps hurriedly walk towards her. Somin couldn’t help it as she slid down, hunched over and enveloped by her dress. Tears continued to pour.

 

Yoomi’s hand reached for Somin. “Somin, please we have to go!”

 

Somin shook her head. “They’re still together! After all these years, he’s still with her!”

 

“I’m so sorry Somin, I should have told you sooner that he was back and I—“

 

Somin looked up at her. “You knew?!”

 

Yoomi nodded slowly. “Yes, Jinho found out. We didn’t want to tell you, it was to protect you!”

 

“So you knew that he was going to be here tonight?!”

 

“No, not at all!” replied Yoomi. “Let’s just go home Somin.”

 

Somin felt Jinho’s strong arms help her up. “We’ll talk about this more another time,” said Jinho. “But since you left suddenly like that the paparazzi are having a frenzy.”

 

Jinho forced her to move as he called the valet for the car. Paparazzi began to swarm just as she entered the car along with Yoomi. Jinho slammed the door shut.

 

“Somin! Somin, I know you’re there.”

 

Somin looked at the window. Outside was Hyunjoong, reaching for the car door. She saw Jinho get in the way trying to push him back. Somin looked away and began to cry even harder.

 

“Go! Start driving!” yelled Jinho from the outside.

 

Somin felt Yoomi’s hand hold hers tightly as the car sped off. Somin buried her face in her free hand and silently continued to cry.