Remember When

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

 

Hyunjoong pulled his car into a parking lot that he hadn’t been too in over five years. He looked over at Somin who too was looking around her.
 
 
“Why does this place seem familiar?” She asked. 
 
 
He nodded his head towards the place. “Come on, let’s go.” 
 
 
They both got out of the car and began making their way towards the front. Once they reached the front, Hyunjoong looked up at the small building sign that read ’Feel Good Bar’. He heard a gasp come from Somin and turned to her.
 
 
“This is the bar I went to on New Years Eve!” She turned to him. “Where we first met.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded at her with a small smile. “I haven’t been here in a long time.”
 
 
“Me either,” replied Somin. “Gosh, it’s been so long.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong and her walked up to the bar and entered. The New Years Eve memory flooded into Hyunjoong’s mind. Aside from the New Years decorations, everything was still exactly the same as it was five years ago. They sat at the bar. Somin was feeling the bar with her fingers. A bartender came up to them.
 
 
“What would you two like to drink?” 
 
 
Hyunjoong ordered a beer while Somin ordered a martini. They kept looking around the bar as they waited for their drinks. Hyunjoong looked over at the T.V. and recalled their New Year kiss. He looked over at Somin and they caught eyes. She was blushing. He laughed at the fact that they had the same thoughts.
 
 
“Your drinks,”
 
 
Hyunjoong took the cold beer in his hands and took a sip. 
 
 
“You know, you never told me why you came here on New Years Eve.” said Somin as she drank her martini. “You guessed why I was here correctly but I never guessed why you came.”
 
 
Hyunjoong shrugged. “Me and Maerin fought. I was supposed to meet her parents on New Years Eve but I bailed out on her. She was really pissed.” He laughed. “She doesn’t even remember why we fought anyways so it wasn’t really a big deal when I went back to her.” 
 
 
She chuckled. “We were really young back then weren’t we?” 
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded agreeing with her. “And reckless.” 
 
 
She laughed. “I can’t believe we spent the night together!”
 
 
“But it was fate wasn’t it?” replied Hyunjoong.
 
 
Somin looked down at her drink as she muttered, “Some crazy twisted fate,”
 
 
They continued on talking just about anything. Hyunjoong missed how care free and lay back Somin was. She listened to him talk about pointless things in his life and he listened to her talk about work. As she continued to talk to him more, Hyunjoong could see that it was calming Somin down. 
 
 
Soon enough, they had finished their drinks. 
 
 
Hyunjoong set his beer bottle on the bar. “Feel better?”
 
 
 Somin nodded. “A lot better,” She swirled the olive around the glass in her martini. “Thanks for bringing me here, it brings back a lot of memories for me.”
 
 
“It calmed you down, didn’t it?”
 
 
“If I had gone home straight after the spat with Yoomi, I would have cried all night long,” said Somin. 
 
 
Hyunjoong took out some money from his wallet and placed it on the counter. “I should get you home to Eli.” 
 
 
Somin nodded. “Let’s go.”
 
 
They drove in silence on the way to Somin’s home. Hyunjoong kept glancing over, wanting to hold her hand. She was looking straight ahead and Hyunjoong knew a million thoughts were going through her head. 
 
 
He drove into the Jung driveway and parked. Hyunjoong looked over at Somin who was gathering her things. 
 
 
“Thanks again Hyunjoong, for tonight. I really needed that drink.” Somin smiled at him. “I’m glad that we can still be friends.” 
 
 
With that, Somin opened the car door and began walking towards the house. 
 
 
Hyunjoong waited until she had safely walked inside her home before starting the car and leaving. 
 
 
Friends? Were they just friends? He shook his head. It wasn’t what he wanted. Hyunjoong wanted to be more than just friends with her. He wanted that relationship that they had five years ago. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to bare being just friends with the love of his life. 
 
 
Was he being too rash? Or was finding her too good to be true? Either way, Hyunjoong was happy to have her back in his life. But just friends? It wasn’t possible for his heart. 
 
 
Hyunjoong gripped the steering wheel of his car tightly and sped the rest of the way home. 
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
Jung Somin walked through the glass doors of Jung Tech Cell Phone Company with confidence and poise. Today was her first day back to work after Yoomi’s accident and she was ready for anything.
 
 
Dressed in her best black tight fitting dress, Somin made her way up the elevators and into her office. Once she arrived, a stack of files and papers greeted her. 
 
 
“So you’re back.” 
 
 
Somin looked over at the couch and found Mr. Seo sitting nonchalantly with a small smile on his face. He stood up and they both greeted each other. “I was wondering when you were going get out of that “personal leave”. I betted another week. I guess I owe the receptionist downstairs 20 bucks.”
 
 
Somin rolled her eyes playfully as she made her way to her desk. “It’s nice to see you too Mr. Seo.”
 
 
He pointed at her desk. “As you can see you have a lot of work to catch up on. You’re lucky I was here to calm a few things down.” Mr. Seo plopped down on the couch. “By the way, how’s Ilwoo?”
 
 
“He’s doing great actually. Dad’s really improving in therapy and seems to me he’s set for a early discharge.”
 
 
“I’m glad to hear that,” replied Mr. Seo. He grabbed the remote from the coffee table and the T.V.
 
 
“Oh sure,” said Somin looking up from reading one of the files. “Make yourself comfortable.”
 
 
Mr. Seo grinned. “You owe me.” He propped his feet on the table and began watching T.V.
 
 
Somin shook her head with a smile as she delved into work. 
 
 
A few meetings had gone during her absence but they were nothing serious. After looking through the notes of each meetings, Somin did her usual rounds of visiting each department and checking up on their statuses. 
 
 
Somin went down to the design department and immediately felt like home. She walked around and saw the new designs for a cell phone that was to be released in two months. She helped around as best as she could. 
 
 
When she was finished in that department, she walked out the doors feeling happy. Somin didn’t think that being away from the CEO position would make her miss it this much. 
 
 
...........................................
 
 
“Mom! Dinner’s ready!”
 
 
“Alright, I’ll be right down Eli!”
 
 
Somin tugged on her sweat pants and threw on a wide neck gray t-shirt and made her way downstairs to the dining room. She found Eli and Ahjumma setting up the dining table. Somin sat in her regular seat and once everyone took to their own seats, began to eat.
 
 
Somin was able to come home earlier than usual. She didn’t want to stay cooped up in the office doing work, she wanted to be with Eli. So, she brought all the work that needed to be done home. 
 
 
Eli was eagerly chattering away as he usually did at the dinner table. He talked about school and the friends that he became recently close with. 
 
 
After a moment of silence, Eli stopped eating and looked over at Somin. “Can we go back to Jeju Island on my birthday?” 
 
 
Somin stopped eating and thought for a moment. It was already October. She looked over at the calendar on the refrigerator and saw that it was the first week of October. She nodded. “I can take off a week if you want and we can just tell school that you’re sick.” 
 
 
Eli looked at her with a sour expression. “What about homework?”
 
 
Both Ahjumma and Somin laughed out loud. “You’re worried about homework on your birthday?!”
 
 
He nodded. “I’m in the first grade! We get a lot of homework!”
 
 
Somin shook her head. “What has Korean education come too? Okay, you know what I’ll ask the teacher all the homework for that week so that you can do it at home in Jeju.”
 
 
“That’s fine with me!” Eli went back to eating his meal.
 
 
Somin shook her head smiling. How did she end up with such a responsible kid?
 
 
After dinner, Somin helped Eli finish the rest of their homework and by 9 pm they were off to bed. Eli grabbed a Harry Potter book from the shelf and gave it to Somin for her to read out loud. They snuggled under the covers and Somin began to read starting from chapter one.
 
 
After a few pages, Eli’s soft snores began to be heard. Somin smiled softly, closing the books, and quietly got out of the bed. She kissed Eli on the forehead and tucked him into the covers. As she closed the bedroom door slowly behind her, Somin found Ahjumma putting on her coat in the upstairs hallway. 
 
 
“Late night working?” asked Ahjumma.
 
 
Somin nodded. “I have some paper work to catch up with.” She followed Ahjumma to the front of the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow, good night.” 
 
 
As she watched Ahjumma get into the car that picked her up every night, Somin grabbed a shawl from the living room couch and wrapped it around her. She began making her way to her father’s office where she had put all her work in. She settled into the couch, booted her laptop, and began piling the paper in order. 
 
 
Somin took a glance at her cell phone and decided she needed to make a call. She picked up her phone and dialed.
 
 
“Hello?” said a sleepy voice.
 
 
“Hey,” replied Somin. “Were you asleep?”
 
 
“Yeah,” replied Jinho as he cleared his throat. “What’s up?”
 
 
She shrugged. “I don’t know, just checking up.”
 
 
She heard him chuckle over the phone. “She’s fine.”
 
 
Somin shook her head, not believing him one bit. “No really, how is she.”
 
 
He paused a moment before answering. “Bitter. She’s seeing a psychiatrist.”
 
 
Somin sighed. “I guess that’s good.”
 
 
“It’ll have to do.” 
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
“Sir, we have all the plans here for the opening of the new hotel in this USB.”
 
 
 
Hyunjoong took the USB from his secretary and the pile of paper work from her hands. “Thank you,” 
 
 
 
He popped the USB into his computer and began reviewing the work. Hyunjoong had been stuck in his office for about a week busy with the preparations with the new opening of a hotel. Daejo Hotels was expanding fast and with speediness comes with tedious work. He looked over at the calendar on his desk and realized that it was the beginning of October. 
 
 
A red mark was circled around the seventeenth. Eli’s birthday. His birthday was going to be soon. 
 
 
“Sir, you have a phone call on line 3.” said his secretary over the intercom. 
 
 
“Okay,”
 
 
Hyunjoong picked up the phone. “Kim Hyunjoong speaking,”
 
 
“Hyunjoong, it’s Maerin!” 
 
 
“Hey Maerin, what’s up?” 
 
 
“I was wondering if you were free for lunch,” said Maerin. 
 
 
“Lunch?” Hyunjoong looked around at the mess of papers he had on his desk. He chuckled. “Sure, why not.”
 
 
Maerin gave Hyunjoong directions to the restaurant and they hung up. 
 
 
...........................................
 
 
Hyunjoong arrived outside of a small restaurant and began making his way in. He found Maerin sitting ordering food already. She looked up from the menu, spotted Hyunjoong at the doorway, and waved him over. 
 
 
“Already ordering?” said Hyunjoong with a tease as he sat across from her. 
 
 
She smiled at him. “I don’t know about you but I’m starving.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong just let her order whatever for him and Maerin handed over the menus. He stared at her before asking a question. “So what did you call me over for?”
 
 
Maerin held up her left hand and showed it to him. “See anything different.”
 
 
A giant rock, the size of a pebble, was sitting on her left hand ring finger. 
 
 
Hyunjoong grinned as he leaned back into his chair. “Congratulations.”
 
 
Maerin clapped her hands together and smiled. “Thanks!” She began rummaging in her bag and produced out two ivory colored envelopes. “Ones for you and ones for Somin unless you two are going together…well I think she still hates me so I don‘t know if you can convince her to come or not…”
 
 
He laughed as he accepted the invitations. “Of course she hates you but I doubt she’ll turn down your wedding invitation. She’s too nice and I don’t know if we’ll be going together yet.”
 
 
“Nice?!“ yelled Maerin. “Everytime I see her I get that mean look she puts on and a lecture on how I ruined her life with you!“ 
 
 
Hyunjoong heartily laughed. “You sort of did deserve that you know!”
 
 
She looked at him with a confused look. “Hm? Okay, I did deserve it and I thought you two were heading towards that road called love? It‘s your turn after all, Hyunjoong.”
 
 
Hyunjoong shook his head at her silliness. “I honestly don’t know if she wants that with me.”
 
 
“Well, aren’t you trying?”
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded. “I’ve even asked her parents if I could pursue her again and they gave me their permission. I just have to convince Somin.”
 
 
“What’s holding you back?” asked Maerin as she sipped on her drink.
 
 
Hyunjoong began telling Maerin about Yoomi’s accident and how busy Somin has been. He told him that he barely had a chance to really sit down and talk to her unless you call getting a few drinks at the bar intimate. 
 
 
They talked for a long time. Maerin was advising him while Hyunjoong listened. Although they had a serious romantic relationship with each other, where Hyunjoong had even thought he was seriously in love with her, he was glad that him and her ended well together. They had no hard feelings after they had broken up and had remained friends even with the silence for five years. This was what friendship felt like to him. Not Somin and him. He was in love with her. She just…didn’t seem like she was anymore and that was what hurt him the most. Was trying again worth it or was history going to repeat itself? Hyunjoong wasn’t sure. 
 
 
“I think you need to hurry it up and get Somin back before someone else does!” stated Maerin with a mouthful of food in . 
 
 
Hyunjoong sighed. “I told you I’m trying!”
 
 
“Well it’s not good enough. I better see you guys all lovey dovey at my wedding and holding hands and all that!” 
 
 
“Maerin, shut up!”
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
It was Saturday and strangely enough, Somin was able to have a day off. The company’s heater stopped working and Somin was forced to call an off day for all employee’s until the heater was fixed. It was surprisingly getting very cold in the middle of fall. So, she decided to take advantage of her day off. She declared, along with the help of Ahjumma, to officially start Autumn cleaning! 
 
 
Her and Ahjumma started in the living room where they dusted all wooden furniture and Somin stealthily vacuumed the entire bottom floor. Somin honestly enjoyed cleaning. It made the house much more friendlier. She went into her father’s office and began throwing things away that were of no longer useful and cleaned his desk as best as she could. Jung Ilwoo was not a very neat man as he appears to be. 
 
 
Eli woke up at around lunch time and after he ate his lunch, began helping with cleaning by cleaning up Somin’s childhood room where they stayed. He neatly piled all his school books on her desk and cleaned his art supplies and put them in the rightful place. He even began helping Somin clean the kitchen while Ahjumma cleaned all the other rooms in the mansion. 
 
 
It was late afternoon when they all finished the inside of the house. All that needed to be done was to clean up the outside. Her parents hired a gardener here and there but it was usually her parents who like to keep their backyard tamed on their own. It was their way of spending time together. But since her dad was in the hospital, Somin’s mother barely had time to check on her plants or cut the shrubbery. She only came around once in a while to pick up clothes and to check on Ahjumma and Eli when Somin wasn’t there. 
 
 
The fall leaves had piled and the shrubs looked unkempt. The flowers were starting to wilt but that happened as per usual when Autumn came around. Somin decided to start raking. She first let Eli play soccer near the soccer net that her father had set up for him a summer ago. Somin let Eli off duty from cleaning for all the hard work he had done during the day. Somin grabbed a rake from the shed and began to clean up the red and yellow leaves. 
 
 
As time passed by, the air around them felt peaceful. The skillful kicking of Eli’s foot against the soccer ball, Somin’s raking, and the birds chirping from the bird house that Somin had replenished with seeds were soothing sounds. She loved the fall. 
 
 
Suddenly, a car pulling into their driveway interrupted Somin’s flow. She looked up and from her fence saw someone getting out a car. Her eyes met Hyunjoong’s as he waved at her. He opened the gate that separated the two and entered the back yard. Once the gate snapped shut, Eli’s flushed face looked up and seeing Hyunjoong excitedly ran up to him.
 
 
“Daddy!”
 
 
Hyunjoong caught Eli and scooped him up into a hug. They pulled away from each other with Hyunjoong carrying him. 
 
 
“What are you doing here?” asked Somin as she set down the rake.
 
 
Hyunjoong looked at Eli with a smile. “I haven’t seen this little guy in a week and I thought I’d drop by.” 
 
 
“Will you play soccer with me?” asked Eli. “You promised before!”
 
 
Hyunjoong set him down on the ground. “And that I did. Come on, let’s see what you’ve got!”
 
 
Somin watch the two run off to the soccer net. She smiled at the two of them and resumed her raking. 
 
 
After a couple of hours, the sun had set and Somin had finally finished all the garden work. She looked at her hand watch and found it to be almost 9 pm. Eli and Hyunjoong had been playing for a long time. 
 
 
As Somin began putting the garden tools away, she called out to them, “Eli it’s almost time for bed! Come on, let’s get you washed up.” 
 
 
Eli kicked the ball over to Hyunjoong who picked it up and ran over to Somin. She took a hold of his hand. Eli turned to Hyunjoong, “Will you come and read me a bed time story?” 
 
 
Somin looked at Hyunjoong who nodded. 
 
 
“Sure buddy, just go and get ready for bed and I’ll be right up.”
 
 
Eli let go of Somin’s hand. “I can go wash up by myself Mommy!” And with that, he began running into the house. 
 
 
She heard Hyunjoong laughing behind her as he walked towards her. “He sure doesn’t need your help nowadays.”
 
 
Somin shook her head with a smile. “He wants to grow up fast and be my man.” She giggled. “He’ll always be my little man to me.”
 
 
“He’s a great soccer player,” said Hyunjoong. 
 
 
“He’s really happy that you got play with him today,” replied Somin. “It was like a special gift.”
 
 
“Speaking of gifts,” spoke up Hyunjoong. “His birthday is coming up soon. Are you doing anything special?”
 
 
“He wants to go back to Jeju Island. I told him we should go back for a week, like a mini vacation.”
 
 
“That sounds fun,”
 
 
“Will you be around?” asked Somin.
 
 
“I don’t know,” replied Hyunjoong. “Do you want me around.”
 
 
She slowly nodded. “It would be his first birthday with you, you should come.”
 
 
“I’ll make room in my schedule,” said Hyunjoong with a smirk.
 
 
She rolled his eyes at him. “You go do that,”
 
 
Hyunjoong laughed. “I’ll clean up the rest of the stuff around here, how about you go ahead and check up on him and when I’m done I’ll be right up.”
 
 
Somin looked at him. “Are you sure?”
 
 
He nodded. “Yeah,”
 
 
Somin nodded and began making her way up to her and Eli’s room just to make sure he washed up right. After ten minutes, Somin could hear Hyunjoong’s footsteps coming up the stairs. She let Eli choose a book and just as Hyunjoong walked in Eli was already in bed waiting for him. Hyunjoong jumped in with him and grabbed the book from his hands. Somin smiled at the two of them before leaving to retreat to the living room to watch some T.V. 
 
 
An hour later, Somin was snuggled into her shawl when she heard quiet footsteps coming down the stairs. She looked over and found Hyunjoong. 
 
 
“Is he asleep?” whispered Somin.
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded. “I’m going to go to the back yard and get my coat and I’ll be off.”
 
 
Somin nodded as she watched him head back outside. 
 
 
Suddenly, Ahjumma appeared beside her with two cups of coffee in her hands. She held them out for Somin to take. “Offer him some coffee before he leaves!” 
 
 
Somin shook her head no.
 
 
Ahjumma pushed the coffee into her hands. “I’m off for tonight!” She stuck out her tongue at Somin and began racing for the door.
 
 
Somin sighed deeply. Ahjumma’s childish tactics.
 
 
Adjusting the shawl around her shoulders, Somin took the two coffee’s and headed outside. Hyunjoong was just putting on his coat when he stopped in front of her. She held up one of the coffee’s for him to take.
 
 
“Let’s sit on the chair swing,” said Somin. Hyunjoong followed right beside her. They both sat on the chair.
 
 
Fireflies were appearing and buzzing about and the crickets were coming out to sing their nightly song. Somin began to rock the swing back and forth with the heel of her foot as she took small sips from the steaming hot coffee. 
 
 
They sat in silence.
 
 
“I want to talk about us,” said Hyunjoong breaking the quiet air between them.
 
 
She looked over at him. “What do you mean?”
 
 
“Me and you,” Hyunjoong said with a sigh. “Friends? I can’t take that.”
 
 
She shook her head as she whispered, “What do you mean…”
 
 
“I don’t want you and me to be just friends. I want us to be lovers. People who care for each other deeply. The person I want to love everyday. But if you keep avoiding me about it, then I can’t just sit and wait for you to come around.”
 
 
Somin looked down at her cup as she curled her fingers around its warmth. “Hyunjoong let’s not talk about this right now.”
 
 
“So when do you want to talk about it Somin?” countered Hyunjoong. 
 
 
“I’m…happy with where I am right now. I’m content with life,” replied Somin. “I’m glad that you’re back and here for Eli but I can’t let what happened five years ago happen again. If it does, then what will I do?”
 
 
“I want you to try again with me, that’s all I’m asking Somin. Give me a second chance.” 
 
 
Somin shook her head. “I don’t think so Hyunjoong…”
 
 
She heard him put the coffee cup on the outdoor table and stood up. She watched him walk away from her. She flinched as she heard his car door slam shut and his car start driving away. 
 
 
Somin continued to quietly sit on the chair swing and drink her coffee. 
 
 
She was just afraid that he was so right. She loved him so much but if being friends won’t cause them any pain, than being friends it had to be.
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
“Hey, are you at the hospital?”
 
 
“Yeah, Hyunjoong what’s up?”
 
 
“I need a drink.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong heard Jinho laugh. “You really want to drink? It’s the middle of the night and you do realize what booze does to you right?”
 
 
He smiled mischievously over the phone. “I know. So, I’ll pick you up in ten minutes?”
 
 
Jinho sighed. “Fine, I’ll be waiting for you outside.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong hung up the phone and drove off to the hospital. Just like he said over the phone, Jinho was waiting for him at the entrance of the hospital. Hyunjoong waved him over and waited as Jinho entered the car.
 
 
“You’re buying all my drinks,” said Jinho once he closed the passenger door.
 
 
Hyunjoong replied with a smile as he drove off to the nearest bar. 
 
 
Once they arrived, they walked into the bar and immediately ordered drinks. Hyunjoong got the strongest drink that they had and began drinking it.
 
 
“So, what’d you call me out here for? Something happened?” asked Jinho through sips of his own drink.
 
 
Hyunjoong looked at him as he downed his own. “It’s Somin,”
 
 
Jinho set his own drink. “Alright, I’m all ears.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong began with the engagement of Maerin. How they talked at lunch about him and Somin and if they were going together. Then, he told Jinho that he had just been at Somin’s house. He played soccer with Eli while she was Autumn cleaning. He hadn’t seen Eli in a week and Hyunjoong had missed him. Hyunjoong told Jinho that they had coffee together and he had brought up their relationship. They didn’t necessarily argue but Somin kept insisting that they were just friends and that was all they were ever going to be.
 
 
“And you believed her?” asked Jinho.
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded, drinking down another glass of his alcoholic drink. 
 
 
“Oh come on Hyunjoong,” laughed Jinho. “She’s still in love with you.”
 
 
“Well it doesn’t seem like it at all,” muttered Hyunjoong grabbing Jinho’s drink.
 
 
Jinho looked at him with concern. “You need to stop with the drinks.”
 
 
Hyunjoong simply shook his head no, as he ordered two more. 
 
 
Jinho watched Hyunjoong drink his way into a drunken despair. He had meant to stop him but Hyunjoong drunk was impossible to negotiate with. Jinho looked over at the bartender who had taken Hyunjoong’s keys. 
 
 
The bartender shook his head. “You both were drinking.”
 
 
Jinho sighed and reached into the back of his pants pocket. He took out his phone and dialed.
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
Somin rolled around in the bed in shock as she heard her cell phone’s ring tone go off. She groggily looked at the bedside clock and saw that it was 2 in the morning. She picked up her phone and answered. “Hello?” 
 
 
“Hey Somin, it’s me.”
 
 
Somin shot up from bed upon hearing Jinho’s voice. “What’s wrong? It something the matter with Yoomi? Are you at the hospital?” 
 
 
“Well…no,” replied Jinho. “I’m at a bar right now.”  
 
 
“A bar?” said Somin. “What are you doing there?” 
 
 
Jinho sighed. “I’m with Hyunjoong right now and he’s incredibly drunk. I know he can hold his alcohol and all but it’s pretty bad. The bartender won’t give me his car keys. Can I ask you this one favor to come pick us up?”
 
 
“Alright, I’ll get you. But I can’t just leave Eli though so he’ll have to come along.” replied Somin. “So, tell me the address and I’ll be there as fast as I can.”
 
 
Once Somin obtained the address, she gently woke up Eli and carried him into the front seat of her car and firmly strapped his seatbelt on. As soon as she started driving, Eli went off to the sleep. It didn’t take long until Somin reached the bar where Jinho and Hyunjoong were. She found them in the front with Jinho holding up Hyunjoong as best as he could. Somin quickly got out of the car and helped him.
 
 
“Doesn’t this bring back memories?” said Jinho with a laugh as he heaved Hyunjoong into the backseat. 
 
 
“Joyful ones,” replied Somin as Jinho climbed in as well. She slammed the back seat door shut and started the car.
 
 
“Where does he live now?” asked Somin as she drove out into the road.
 
 
“I don’t know,” replied Jinho. “The bartender took all his keys. I have to get back to the hospital Somin.”
 
 
She nodded. “Alright, I’ll take him to my place.”
 
 
She dropped off Jinho first before proceeding back home. Once they arrived, Somin unbelted Eli and carried him back to their room. She made sure he was okay and asleep before heading downstairs back to the car where Hyunjoong was.
 
 
It wasn’t an easy task getting him inside but luckily the guest room was on the main floor of the mansion. She heaved him into the room with all her might and placed him on the bed. Somin put her hands to her hips as she breathed in and out from all the heavy lifting. She watched him stir in his drunken sleep.
 
 
“I…need to..” 
 
 
Hyunjoong sat up in an instant only to vomit all over his dress shirt. Somin quickly looked away until she heard he had fallen back onto the bed. She looked at him, contemplating whether or not she should change him but the smell was just killing her. Somin rushed upstairs and into her parents room to obtain an old t-shirt.
 
 
She walked into the guest room and found him where he was. Somin sat on the bed beside him and began to lift his shirt off him. He didn’t protest but simply kept muttering incoherent words. 
 
 
“Shh…” said Somin. “I’m going to clean you up now.” 
 
 
Once the soiled shirt was lifted off, she heard Hyunjoong sigh in relief. She laughed. “You’re lucky I’m here.” 
 
 
Upon scanning his body for any other mess, a silver chain had looped off his chest. Figuring it was uncomfortable, she tugged on the chain so that it rested back on his body. As she tugged, what appeared at the end of the chain were two rings. Somin picked the rings up with her hand and laid them on her palm for her to take a closer to look. The rings were their engagement rings five years ago.
 
 
She gasped in shock and dropped the rings back on his chest.
 
 
He groaned at the impact. “Somin…”
 
 
Somin closed her eyes and thought back on that day where she had thrown her ring away. She remembered…she had thrown the ring on the messy coffee table. “How did he…find this?” It seemed impossible. The place was a pigsty at the time. 
 
 
“Four days…” mumbled Hyunjoong.
 
 
She looked at him with shock and confusion. “Four days what Hyunjoong?”
 
 
“Of searching,” whispered Hyunjoong.
 
 
Somin put a hand over to prevent her from crying. She watched him fall back into his drunken sleep before picking up the rings in her hands. 
 
 
“After all this time?” She whispered.
 
 
“Always,”