Let's Start Over

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

"Are you sure? Are you 100% sure that you're pregnant."

 

Somin sighed in her seat as she answered the same question for the tenth time. "Hyunjoong, if I were lying to you I wouldn't be here right now."

 

"Alright, alright." Hyunjoong sat behind his desk. He sat for a moment in deep thought before saying, "Let's go to a different doctor first and then we'll decide from there."

 

Somin quietly agreed. Hyunjoong made a quick phone call and they headed out to Hyunjoong’s car. He opened the passenger door of his sleek black Mercedes and Somin hopped in. They were silent throughout their drive to the gynecologist Hyunjoong had called in before.

 

Somin took a peek at Hyunjoong's side profile once in while. There wasn't much emotion on his face. She couldn't tell if he was angry or okay with this whole situation. He was definitely surprised, that much she could tell.

 

They arrived at a private gynecologist office. Before they entered, Hyunjoong stopped and held out his hand. Somin starred at him.

 

"Let's at least look like a couple. I don't want rumors spreading. This is my mother’s doctor."

 

Somin took his hold of his hand. It was cold. He led her through the electric doors and stopped at the front desk. He spoke to a lady in hushed tones and was immediately led to a private area of the office.

 

"If you two need anything," said the lady. "Just give a call to the front desk."

 

Hyunjoong and Somin nodded with a smile. As soon as the lady left Hyunjoong let go of Somin's hand. He immediately sat on a desk and began to read a magazine. Somin sat beside him. A million thoughts ran through her head. The baby was definitely his. What will they do then? Will she have to marry him? It seems that way. Somin was never ever going to give up on this baby, she just can't it wouldn't be fair to him or her. She's always wanted to have kids. She took a peek at Hyunjoong. She was doing a lot of that lately. If this was faiths way of showing Somin her future, it didn't look too bad. Hyunjoong had a nice facial structure. With her cute looks and his handsome looks, their baby would be the most beautiful baby---

 

"Kim Hyunjoong and Jung Somin?"

 

Somin snapped out of her daydream and looked up to find the gynecologists assistant, clipboard in hand, who had called out their name.

 

"Dr. Moon is ready to see the both of you."

 

Hyunjoong once again took hold of Somin's hand and they began walking to Dr. Moon's office. They entered as Dr. Moon greeted them. She was a tall and pretty woman. She wore a white doctor’s coat and her hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail. She seemed to be the same age as her mother. She greeted them with warm smiles as they sat down.

 

"Hyunjoong-ah, it's been a long time since your mother brought you here during her annual check ups. So, what brings you two here today?"

 

Hyunjoong looked at Somin and nodded at her to tell Dr. Moon.

 

"I think, well I know, that I am pregnant."

 

Dr. Moon nodded as she looked down at the papers in front of her. "And you must be Jung Somin. Is this your girlfriend Hyunjoong?"

 

"Fiancée. She's my fiancée."

 

Dr. Moon nodded. "Alright then, how about we take some tests Somin and then I'll be able to confirm your pregnancy. Hyunjoong you should stay in here. It won't take any longer than ten to fifteen minutes."

 

Somin got up from her chair and followed Dr. Moon out the door.

 

...........................................

 

"Here we go, now lie down on the table and I'll prepare the ultrasound."

 

Somin nodded. She climbed up on the patient table and laid down. She pulled at her hospital gown and pants. It felt a little uncomfortable. She didn't have to do this at the last doctor.

 

"Okay, now I'll be putting on the jelly on your stomach. It'll feel a little cold."

 

Somin lifted up her hospital gown halfway up and allowed Dr. Moon to proceed.

 

"When was your last menstruation cycle?"

 

"I don't really remember," replied Somin. "Works been keeping me busy lately. But, I figured something was wrong this morning when I kept throwing up. Also, I've been craving tangerines lately."

 

Dr. Moon chuckled. "That's a sign." She began swirling the ultrasound instrument around Somin's stomach. "There it is."

 

Somin looked up at the screen. "Wow, it’s... so small."

 

"Yes it is. I can assume you're about 7 and a half weeks along. So about two months now."

 

Tears suddenly began to form in Somin's eyes. "I'm really pregnant..."

 

Dr. Moon gave her a soft smile. "Yes, you are honey."

 

"Is it weird to say that I'm really scared?"

 

Dr. Moon shook her head. "No, it's not. Everyone’s scared when they find out that their pregnant. But that feeling of being scared becomes pure happiness in the end." Just like her mom, Dr. Moon held her hand with reassurance. "Don't be scared Somin sshii, you have Hyunjoong there beside you."

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

 Hyunjoong starred down at the ultrasound picture Somin had received at their appointment. He couldn’t stop staring at the little baby floating inside her. He had to accept it. This was his baby. She had sworn to him that the last time she had was with him. He believed her. She didn’t seem like the type to lie. He was going to be a dad now.

 

Hyunjoong leaned back into the park bench that they had found near the gynecologists office. He returned the picture back to Somin. His eyes wandered around the playground. Little kids were running about in the cold weather with their little hats, puffy jackets, and gloves on. He turned to Somin who was smiling at the children playing. The woman next to him was going to be the mother of their child.

 

“Oh!” Somin suddenly said. She quickly stood up and ran towards the playground.

 

Hyunjoong watched after her. A group of children surrounded a child who was on the ground crying. Somin knelt before the child. She seemed to have asked a question, as he was holding in his tears and nodding. He watched Somin pull up his right pants leg to reveal a cut bleeding. Hyunjoong began to stand up to help out but Somin had already whipped out a tiny box from her purse. She took out an antiseptic wipe and began cleaning the wound and placed a bandage over it. The little boy stopped crying. As she finished, Somin gave the kid a smile and patted him on the head. She stood up and returned back to Hyunjoong.

 

“You have that all in your bag?” He asked.

 

Somin nodded with a small smile. “My friend tells me I’m such a klutz, so she makes me bring a small first aid kit around. For once, it came in handy.”

 

Hyunjoong smiled to himself, realizing that maybe having a baby with Somin wouldn’t be too bad.

 

“I was thinking,” Hyunjoong said. “Let's start over with our relationship. Let's scratch our first meeting and start something new. I was also thinking that we should have a family meeting and announce it to them then.”

 

Somin nodded. “I think that’s the best. I don’t want to tell them separately. I’d rather we tell them together.”

 

“Then it’s settled. Let’s invite them to dinner at a restaurant this Saturday and tell them there.” Hyunjoong stood up from the park bench. “Come, I’ll take you home.” He grabbed her purse and began walking towards his car.

 

...........................................

 

Hyunjoong pulled up to a nice mansion. He watched Somin get out of the car. “I’ll call you about Saturday. Keep your phone on okay?”

 

She nodded at him before waving and walking away inside her house. He watched her opened her front door. Once she was inside the house Hyunjoong searched for his cell phone in his coat pocket. He quickly dialed a number.

 

“Hey. I’m coming over. We need to talk.”

 

Hyunjoong quickly hung up the phone and sped off.

 

Ten minutes later he arrived outside of an apartment complex. He parked his car inside the garage and made his way up. He passed through the familiar hallways, rode up the elevator, and stopped at a door. He rang the doorbell.

 

A tall woman opened the door. She smiled at him and gave him a hug. “You came.” She quickly kissed him on the cheek.

 

Hyunjoong smiled at her and stared at the beautiful face that was going to be no longer his. Park Maerin. His girlfriend. From her beautiful porcelain skin, long black hair, blushing cheeks, full pink lips, and large brown eyes were just some of the many things Hyunjoong first liked about her. He had met Maerin at a socialite party his mother had unfortunately dragged him along to. He was bored, she was bored, their parents were rich, drinks were being served, they began to talk to each other and everything just seemed to click for them.

 

Hyunjoong began to pursue her and now they were heading towards their third month in the relationship, which for Hyunjoong was pretty long. He had fallen for her. But things have to change. Hyunjoong made his mistake and now he had to be responsible for it. This was not only going to hurt him but Maerin the most.

 

Maerin took his hand and led him inside her apartment. They sat on the sofa. Maerin put her head on his shoulder. “Where were you all day? I tried calling your cell phone and office but no one was answering.”

 

Hyunjoong began to her hair as he said, “I was busy, I’m sorry.”

 

“That’s okay,” She said as she nuzzled further into his neck. “I’m used to it by now. Besides, what did you want to talk to me about?”

 

He sighed and gently shrugged off Maerin from his shoulder.

 

Maerin looked at him in confusion. “What’s wrong?”

 

He turned to her and stared into her brown eyes. “We need to break up.”

 

Her smiling face turned into a solemn one. “Wait…what? I don’t understand. You want to break up with me?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded. “I can’t see you anymore.”

 

“What do you mean you can’t see me anymore?!”

 

“I’m sorry Maerin, something personal came up and I have to take care of it.”

 

“Well why can’t I help you? I’ll help you through it as long as we stay together!”

 

“Maerin, it’s not that simple. I can’t be with you. I...I love you, but this problem is something that I need to sacrifice for.”

 

He saw Maerin slit her eyes. Her face slowly contorted into a ‘what the ?’ look. “That’s a bull excuse Hyunjoong. What problem could be so bad that because you love me you have to break up with me? Are you tired of me already Kim Hyunjoong?! Is that it?!

 

“Maerin! Don’t just assume that’s what it is! I never said that!”

 

“Then what is it Hyunjoong? I deserve a good enough reason to just break up with me out of the whim.”

 

“I can’t tell you that…”

 

“This isn’t fair Kim Hyunjoong. You can’t just walk in my home, tell me that you love me, and then break up with me! What idiot state of mind would you have to be to do that to a person?!”

 

Hyunjoong closed his eyes as her last words stung him. “Stop,” He whispered. “You’re being dramatic.”

 

“I’m being dramatic?!” Maerin stood up from the coach and stormed off.

 

Hyunjoong heard a door bang shut. She was in her room. Whenever she was upset and extremely agitated, Maerin would lock herself in her room without a word. It could take hours or days to get her out.

 

Hyunjoong slowly got up and made his way to her bedroom door. He gently knocked. “Come out Maerin, don’t be like this.”

 

Silence. The silence hurt more than words.

 

Suddenly a loud sob erupted from inside the room and Hyunjoong knew she was crying. He slid down the side of the door and rested his head against it. He couldn’t stand it when she cried. He turned his head so that his cheek was touching the wooden door.

 

Slowly as his own hot tears began pouring out, “I’m going to be a dad.” He said in a quiet whisper making sure she didn't hear him.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

 “WHAT?!” exclaimed Yoomi as she heard Somin’s news. “You’re going to be a mom?!”

 

Somin softly smiled as she nodded. “I’m going to be a mom.”

 

“This is unbelievable!” Yoomi collapsed on Somin’s bed in her home.

 

After Hyunjoong had dropped her off, Somin immediately called Yoomi, her assistant and best friend, to come over.

 

“So that’s why you were throwing up this morning! And here I thought you had the flu. I was going to get my flu shot and everything today.” Yoomi laughed. “Yah, Jang Somin. Daebak! You had with such a hot guy like that.”

 

Somin hit Yoomi softly on the arm. Her cheeks began to turn into a blushing red. “Stop it. It was one night and it didn’t mean anything.”

 

“Well, that’s what you say now.” said Yoomi wiggling her eyebrows. “But in all seriousness. What are you going to tell your parents?”

 

“Hyunjoong and I decided to tell them together this Saturday.”

 

“You do realize that you two will have to get married.”

 

“I know. Yoomi I can’t believe this happened to me! How could I have been so careless?!”

 

Yoomi rested a caring hand on Somin’s shoulder as she got up from her position on the bed. “Everyone makes mistakes and everyone has to pay the consequence. Becoming pregnant was yours. Besides, I think you’ll be fine. He seems like a nice guy.”

 

Somin sighed. “I don’t even know him enough to clarify if he is a good guy. He seems like such a player and the way he acts with me sometimes makes me see he has jerk qualities with him. The only thing I’m really scared about is he’ll leave me and our baby alone.”

 

“You’ll have to seriously talk to him on Saturday I guess.”

 

“I do.”

 

...........................................

 

It was Saturday.

 

Somin stood outside of the restaurant where she and Hyunjoong had planned to meet. She had told her parents to meet her here so that they can have lunch together. It’s been a while anyways.

 

“You’re here early.”

 

Somin turned around and found Hyunjoong standing behind her.

 

“Nervous?”

 

Somin nodded.

 

Hyunjoong began walking inside the restaurant. “Let’s get this done with.”

 

Somin quietly followed him inside.

 

She watched Hyunjoong request a private room and was led to it. Somin took a seat beside Hyunjoong and they both waited for their parents to come.

 

The first to arrive was her parents who were surprised to see Hyunjoong there.

 

“Hyunjoong, what are you doing here?” asked Somin’s mom. “Somin, I thought it was going to be just us today.”

 

Before Somin could say a word, Hyunjoong’s parents walked in with the same shocked expression on their faces. Somin immediately stood up and bowed. She had not met his father yet.

 

“Oh, Inyoung-ah. What are you doing here? Hyunjoong what’s going on?” questioned Misung, Hyunjoong’s mom.

 

The two fathers simply stayed quiet with their confused expression on their faces.

 

“Please sit.” said Hyunjoong motioning all of them to take a seat.

 

Somin took her seat as well.  The parents stared at the two of them wondering what was going on.

 

Somin looked at Hyunjoong who was only starring at his own parents. The awkward silence continued to get bigger and bigger.

 

Somin quickly bowed her head down to Hyunjoong’s parents.

 

“Somin-ah,” said her father. “Why are you bowing your head?”

 

Small tears began to fill her brown eyes. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“Somin,” said Hyunjoong’s mom Misung softly. “What are you sorry about?”

 

Somin heard Hyunjoong sigh. “She’s pregnant. With our baby.”

 

Somin closed her eyes and let the tears fall as she waited for their reactions.

 

“Pregnant?” She heard her dad whisper.

 

“How, Hyunjoong? How?” asked Hyunjoong’s dad.

 

“We met during New Years Eve,” answered Hyunjoong. “We got drunk and spent the night together.”

 

“Is that why you didn’t come home that night?!” yelled both their moms.

 

Hyunjoong and Somin nodded.

 

Jung Inyoung and Kim Misung looked at each other. Somin watched as two very large grins began to appear on their faces.

 

“We’re going to be grandmothers!” shrieked the two as they held hands and began to giggle in happiness.

 

The two dad’s expressions softened into a smile. They looked across from each other and nodded.

 

Somin looked at them perplexed. Are they happy about this? “Wait, you’re not mad?”

 

“Mad?!” said her mom. “Far from it!” She turned to Hyunjoong’s mom. “Oh Misung, I thought she’d never get married or have kids. I thought she’d be working forever and ever.”

 

Kim Misung nodded. “Me too, me too Inyoung! I’m so happy!”

 

“We’ll have to prepare a wedding.” said Hyunjoong’s dad.

 

“No!” objected Hyunjoong and Somin at the same time.

 

The parents looked at them.

 

“What do you mean no?” asked Somin’s dad.

 

Somin took a look at Hyunjoong who pressed her to say what she wanted to say.

 

“I don’t want to marry him just because we’re having a baby together.”

 

“That doesn’t make sense Somin.”

 

“I agree,” chimed in Hyunjoong. “Just because she’s having our baby doesn’t mean that I love her enough to marry her.”

 

“Do you two love each other?” asked Hyunjoong’s mom.

 

“Honestly,” replied Somin. “No. I barely know him. I’ve only really met him once and that was the matchmaking setup you and my mom had set up.”

 

“No, you have to get married. People will start saying things if you’re not married and you’re pregnant. They will start rumors and I know you don’t want that Somin.” said her mom.

 

“They’re right Inyoung sshii,” stepped in Hyunjoong’s dad. “I truly disagree a marriage without love.”

 

“Yeobo!” yelled Hyunjoong’s mom. “She’s pregnant already! We can’t delay the wedding simply because they don’t listen to each other.”

 

“Somin’s Appa, you agree with me. Don’t you?” asked Hyunjoong’s dad.

 

Somin’s dad nodded. “Yes, I do.” He looked at his wife. “Yeobo let the kids date first and then we’ll see what happens. Let’s not rush them.”

 

The two mothers began to give in. They quietly discussed to themselves, whispering into each other’s ear.

 

“Alright,” said Hyunjoong’s mom. “But with one condition.”

 

“Condition?” said Hyunjoong.

 

Somin’s mom nodded. “The condition is you two must live together. And by the sixth month of Somin’s pregnancy, you two must decide whether or not you want to marry. If you both still decide that you don’t love each other and still don’t want to marry each other then you are both free to go. The baby will be taken to be adopted to parents who can both nourish and love the baby.”

 

“Umma!” yelled Somin. “This is my baby, you can’t just say that!”

 

“Somin!” said her mom sternly. “That baby inside you deserves to have two loving parents to care for him or her. How unfair would it be to deprive him or her of that? I will not have a baby irresponsibly raised by one parent.”

 

“Umma…” whispered Hyunjoong.

 

“I’m sorry Hyunjoong-ah,” said his mom. “I agree with Inyoung. Do we all agree?”

 

The two fathers agreed to the condition.

 

“Now,” said Hyunjoong’s mom. “Let’s order something to eat.”