Tell Me Otherwise

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Somin opened the door to the house, carrying bags of groceries on her own. She threw them into the kitchen, wiping away the sweat from her face. She heard the door slam shut and Hyunjoong walking in from behind her.

 

“What is wrong with you?!”

 

Somin chose to ignore him as she began unpacking the groceries and placing them in their rightful places in the kitchen.

 

“Somin, why aren’t you answering me?” yelled Hyunjoong at her.

 

“Can you stop yelling Hyunjoong? You’re giving me a headache!”

 

He scoffed. “Me stop yelling at you?! You were yelling at me for no reason at the grocery store the whole time in public!”

 

“Oh, I’m so sorry I tarnished your image in front of others,” sarcastically replied Somin as she slammed the refridgerator door shut. “If you’re not going to help, can you leave me alone?”

 

He sighed, “I don’t understand. Ever since we returned from Jeju Island you’ve been acting like a complete stranger to me. What’s going on Somin?”

 

Somin stopped putting away the groceries and began walking out of the kitchen. “I’m going upstairs,”

 

“Do you want lunch?” Hyunjoong asked.

 

“No,” She practically ran up the stairs and slammed the bed room door shut. She heard cabinets being opened and slammed shut as he picked up where Somin left off with the groceries.

 

Somin ran her fingers through her hair as she sat down on the vanity chair. She stared at herself in the mirror. Her dark circles were coming out, her skin looked so pale and her hair was just down and in a mess. She propped her elbows on the vanity table and leaned on them.

 

He didn’t tell her about Maerin at all. For a whole week and a half since they’ve been back, he hasn’t mentioned her at all. This made Somin more furious than she originally was on the island. It was one thing for him to do that but to act like nothing happened and everything was okay? Not okay. The more she thought about it the more upset Somin got. Yoomi had advised her to tell him that she saw and that they should talk it out. But Somin didn’t want too, she would rather he just truthfully tell her what happened and then they could work their way back to where they were again.

 

There was nothing from him. He tried to act sweet but they both knew it was bull. Somin’s mood swings had gotten worse and there were barely any happy moments between them anymore. He had stopped coming home earlier and has resorted to sleeping on the couch when they argued at night.

 

Somin was so sad. She didn’t want to be sad anymore.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong watched Somin get upstairs and slam the bedroom door shut. He sighed and picked up all the grocery bags and placed them on the kitchen counter. He began to open the cabinets with force, place the food items, and slam the cabinets shut.

 

He was frustrated. He didn’t know what was going on with her. The first few days she was like this, Hyunjoong assumed it was only mood swings from her pregnancy. But as more days went by, Somin’s mood was never happy. It was either quiet or angry at him.

 

Hyunjoong thought it was about Maerin kissing him on the cheek but it was impossible. There was practically no one else at the pool and Somin was in the hotel room asleep when he went back. So Maerin was out of the picture. It had to be something else.

 

Or maybe he was just stupid. He didn’t know! Hyunjoong slammed the cabinet door shut. His stomach growled. He was hungry. Somin never made food anymore. She never ate either. But when he did catch her eating it was either scorching hot soup or a granola bar. He always made dinner for her but she never had the heart to eat it.

 

Hyunjoong made a quick lunch for himself, ate it quickly, and went upstairs to talk to Somin. He opened the door cautiously and saw Somin on the bed reading a book. That was another thing. Whenever he used her office she would leave without a word and go to a different room. He hated that.

 

“Somin…”

 

She looked up from her book and gave him a blank stare.

 

Hyunjoong walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.
”You’re really not going to eat?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

“I already ate,”

 

“I hardly think that a few free samples at the grocery store counts as a full meal” attempted to joke Hyunjoong to lighten the atmosphere.

 

It didn’t work.

 

“Please?” pleaded Hyunjoong. “I heated up chicken soup for you. Please?”

 

Somin stared at him as she slowly got up from the bed. They went downstairs. He watched Somin sit on a stool as Hyunjoong pushed a bowl of hot chicken soup towards her. He set a bowl of rice, filled to the brim and side dishes of kimchi and radish beside her. Hyunjoong then sat across from her on a stool. Somin picked up her chopsticks and spoons and began to eat.

 

“I have something to tell you,” announced Hyunjoong.

 

Somin gently laid her utensils down and looked at him.

 

“You’re going to be upset,” He started. “But I have to go on a business trip to Americafor three days to see the hotel—“

 

Suddenly Somin got up from the stool and began walking out of the kitchen. Surprised and angry at her sudden change in attitude, Hyunjoong quickly got up, grabbed for her arm and stopped her in the living room. “Somin!”

 

“Let go!” She was trying to pull her arm from his grip.

 

“What’s wrong?!” asked Hyunjoong. “What has been going on with you this past week? Where is all this hate coming from?”

 

“Is this really all you have to tell me?”

 

“Tell you what Somin?”

 

“That you have a business trip.”

 

“Yes?” replied Hyunjoong confused. “Somin, I don’t know what you’re talking about, what do you want me to say?”

 

“Forget it!” yelled Somin. “Just forget about it.” Somin yanked her arm out of his grip. Tears were falling from her eyes as she looked at him. “I thought you were going to tell me the truth.”

 

“The truth? What are you talking about Somin? Just tell me what it is damn it!”

 

“Don’t yell at me! Don’t you dare—“

 

Suddenly, Somin stopped. Her eyes closed as she swayed to the left. Before she could hit the floor, Hyunjoong rushed beside her on instinct and caught her. She felt limp. Hyunjoong began to shake her shoulders in shock. “Somin?!”

 

She didn’t answer him. He checked for breathing. She was fine. He check her forehead. Somin was burning up. Tears were now forming as Hyunjoong rifled through his pockets hastily for his phone and dialed 911.

 

“Hello, this is 911. What is your emergency?”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“You’re awake,”

 

Somin’s eyes slowly opened. Her pupils readjusted to the harsh sunlight of the morning. She turned her head slowly towards the owner of the voice. It was Dr. Moon. She looked around her and saw IV lines attached to her and multiple monitors around her.

 

“Dr. Moon?”

 

Dr. Moon smiled down at her. She was holding a clipboard and wearing her white doctor’s coat. “Do you know where you are?”

 

Somin slowly shook her head no.

 

“You’re in the hospital,” replied Dr. Moon. “Do you know why you’re here?”

 

Once again, Somin shook her head no. “I was home…and I just remember being with Hyunjoong in the living room and then I out.”

 

“You obtained a very high fever. Whatever happens to you affects the baby. We were lucky enough to get your fever down as well as the baby’s down to normal temperatures.”

 

“Thank you Dr. Moon.”

 

She put a hand on her shoulder. “You need to be careful. The next time you’re in the hospital, it better be because you’re going into labor.”

 

Somin nodded. “Where’s Hyunjoong?”

 

“He’s getting a coffee downstairs,” replied Dr. Moon. “He wouldn’t leave me to check up on you but I made him go.”

 

“How long have I been here?”

 

“Three days,”

 

Somin closed her eyes. “How long do I have to stay here?”

 

“I want to keep you in the hospital for a few days to possibly a week,” said Dr. Moon. “I’ll be checking up on you everyday.”

 

“And do my parents know?”

 

“Hyunjoong asked me to keep this a secret between the two of us.”

 

Somin nodded. “I understand but Dr. Moon, can you do me a favor?”

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

“Do you remember my friend Yoomi?” asked Somin.

 

Dr. Moon nodded yes.

 

“Can you please call her for me and tell her to come here at the hospital?”

 

“Sure, I can do that for you. Can I have her number?”

 

Somin recited to Dr. Moon Yoomi’s number. Dr. Moon assured her that she would call Yoomi as soon as she got out of her room and left Somin alone. Somin looked around her and began fidgeting with the hospital bed sheets. She couldn’t believe this happened to her. She was always so careful of her body. The events of that day began to sink in Somin’s mind. Her and Hyunjoong were once again having an argument but this time Somin had gotten false hope from him thinking he was going to tell her about Maerin. She was so wrong. Her anger had spun out of control that she remember arm grabbing, tears, and hate just spilling out of her. She watched the clock tick by. 5 minutes turned into 15 minutes and slowly turned into 35 minutes.

 

Suddenly the door of her hospital room clicked open and there stood Hyunjoong with his coffee in his hands staring at her. She stared at him as he came closer pulling a chair towards her. He set his coffee down on the hospital bedside table. He began to reach for her hand but she swiftly averted him. His hand lingered over her for a few seconds before he pulled back. “You’re awake.”

 

“Please don’t…”

 

“Somin I don’t care what happened three days ago anymore. Can you just let whatever happened that day go?”

 

“I don’t want to,” replied Somin curtly.

 

“You have to tell me what’s going on Somin. I don’t ever want this to happen to you again—“

 

“Well it did happen to me! Don’t try to sweet talk me into forgiving you!”

 

“I don’t even know what I did wrong to you!” Hyunjoong ran his fingers through his hair. Somin could see he was getting frustrated but she didn’t want to let down her anger.

 

“You do know what you did. You just don’t have the guts to tell me! It makes me upset that you’re here.”

 

“Then, why don’t I just leave?” His words were barely audible as he stared at Somin. His eyes were boring into hers, asking her to tell him to stay.

 

She was just too disappointed at him at this point. “I think that would be the best.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong’s hands curled up into a fist as Somin’s words hit his ears. He couldn’t believe her. He attempted to reach for her again. She drew back from his just as quick as the first time.

 

“Somin!”

 

Hyunjoong turned around and found Yoomi standing breathless at the doorway. He turned to Somin who was staring at him with intensity. She didn’t once falter her strong gaze away from him. Hyunjoong stood up from his chair. He turned back to Yoomi who was staring at him.

 

“Are you leaving?”

 

Hyunjoong merely nodded before brushing past Yoomi and exiting the hospital building. Hyunjoong wiped away the sweat from his forehead as he continued to walk through the hot summer heat.

 

“She’s so…INFURIATING!” Hyunjoong punched at the air. He pulled at his hair annoyed. “I didn’t do anything wrong!”

 

Hyunjoong eyes spotted a convenience store. He decided to go on in. Hyunjoong knew what he wanted as he reached for the case of beer in the refridgerator. He paid the cashier and walked out of the store. He called for a taxi and dumped the case of beer in the backset.

 

As Hyunjoong rested his head against the seat he mumbled, “For one day, I want to forget all about you.”

 

The taxi took Hyunjoong home. With his case of beer in hand, he opened the door to his home. Hyunjoong hadn’t been back there since Somin collapsed. He began to walk around and found the unfinished lunch, a kitchen stool on the floor, and his phone lying on the floor of the living room. Hyunjoong walked over and picked it up. It was dead. He tossed the phone on the couch as he plopped on it. He set the case of beer on the coffee table, found the remote, switched on the T.V., grabbed a fresh can of beer, and began to drink.

 

An hour later and on his eight drink, Hyunjoong was interrupted by the ring of the house phone. He drunkenly reached for it and answered.

 

“Hello?!”

 

“Hi, would you like to participate in our free—“

 

“ off!” Hyunjoong slammed the phone down forever disconnecting him and the person on the line.

 

The alcohol began to kick in full blast when Hyunjoong began to stare at the phone and just endlessly laugh. He reached for the phone and began to dial a memorized number.

 

“Hi,” He said.

 

“Hi,” said the new person on the line.

 

“Can you come over?” He asked.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

A few persuading and negotiations later, Hyunjoong had convinced the person to come over. All he had to do now was wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.

 

What felt like eternity, the doorbell finally rang. He quickly got up, excited to see his old friend. Hyunjoong got up from the couch and wobbled over to the entrance. He slumped against the door frame as he opened the door. Hyunjoong smiled wide at his visitor. He flapped his arm at the person as a greeting. “Finally!” Hyunjoong grabbed hold of the persons arm and pulled them into the living room. “Would you like something to drink?”

 

“Hyunjoong, you’re really drunk.”

 

“I know!” He sang as he held up a can. “Be careful, these are very precious to me.”

 

A hand pushed the can down to the coffee table. “It’s okay, I’m fine.”

 

Hyunjoong shrugged, opening it for himself and taking a long swig. “Suit yourself.”

 

“Hyunjoong I—“

 

Hyunjoong leaned in close and took a hold of a piece of hair. He smelled it. “Maerin, you still smell the same.”

 

“Of course I do.”

 

“I miss this smell,” He replied while looking up at her.

 

She looked down at him with a small smile. “I missed you too.”

 

Hyunjoong cupped her face with his hands. “Can I kiss you?”

 

Maerin nodded. “You can kiss me,”

 

Hyunjoong leaned in and began to kiss Maerin. Their kiss deepened as Hyunjoong pressed her against the sofa. He couldn’t think. He didn’t know what was really going on. Hyunjoong just wanted to kiss her so bad.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Yoomi pulled up her car in front of her and Hyunjoong’s home. Somin looked over at Yoomi with a grateful smile.

 

“Thank you for taking me home today,”

 

“You were being discharged. Of course I had to help! Do you need me to take you up to the doorstep?”

 

She shook her head. Yoomi had done enough for her already for the past week. “I’ll be okay.”

 

Yoomi nodded. “Alright, but are you sure Hyunjoong’s home?”

 

“I called him to tell him I’m coming home,” replied Somin.

 

“He didn’t come to visit you at all this past week. Somin, are you sure everything’s alright? He did tell you about him and Maerin at Jeju Island right?” asked Yoomi.

 

“Yes Yoomi, don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine,” assured Somin. “I’ll call you when I’ve settled in.”

 

“Okay, I love you. Be careful!”

 

Somin giggled. “I love you too. Say hi to Jinho for me!”

 

Somin got out of the car and took her bag from the back with her. She waved as Yoomi darted off away from her house. She looked at her house in front of her. Somin rubbed her hand against her belly.

 

In all honesty, she hadn’t heard or had any contact with Hyunjoong at all for the past week. Feeling guilty, Somin had attempted to call the hotel office and even at home to look for him. But there were no answers. Yesterday, she had left a message on their home phone as well as their cell phone that she was being discharged from the hospital today. He didn’t show up.

 

Somin took the keys out of her bag and opened the door. As she walked inside, she was shocked at the mess that unfolded before her. She kicked cans of beer out of her way as she walked into the living room. A pile of unopened mail lay on the coffee table along with more cans of beer. Somin walked over to the phone to see that none of the messages she left were read. Where was he?

 

With her bag still on her shoulder, Somin began to trudge upstairs. She figured he must be sleeping. Somin reached for the bedroom door knob and opened the door slightly, as to not wake Hyunjoong up just yet. What she saw was definitely not him sleeping.

 

There on her bed were Maerin and Hyunjoong deeply making out. Somin stepped back in shock. She closed her eyes, shook her head and looked inside the room again. It wasn’t her imagination.

 

Somin sharply turned and quietly rushed down the stairs. Angry, upset, betrayed, annoyed, and completely heartbroken, Somin fumbled with the engagement ring around her finger as tears fell from her face. Once it finally got off her finger, she placed it on the living room coffee table on top of the mess of mail. She grabbed a pen and wrote on a random piece of paper quick.

 

Everything was happening so quick and so fast. How could he? After everything he promised her, after everything they’ve been through, just one fight had brought all of this pain. One stupid fight.

 

Suddenly a crack of thunder sounded in the sky. Somin looked outside the window and saw rain begin to heavily pour. She grabbed an umbrella from the closet, stepped outside and slammed the door shut. She walked out into the rain and began walking away from the house to the bus stop. Tears were still falling heavily and her hands shook uncontrollably. Somin hated this. She hated the feeling of being betrayed. Somin had genuinely thought she found the one. She was so wrong and now she had to pay for it.

 

Somin didn’t dare look back as she hopped on the bus and out of Hyunjoong’s life. All she wanted to do now was just go home.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Slam!

 

Hyunjoong broke away from Maerin’s kiss as he turned towards the noise. The bedroom door was opened. He frowned at it. Wasn’t it closed before?

 

“Did you hear something?” He asked out loud.

 

Maerin began kissing his neck. “No I didn’t.”

 

“I definitely heard something.”

 

She laughed. “You’re drunk. Just forget about it.”

 

Hyunjoong began to sit up, pushing Maerin off of him. “It’s not nothing…”

 

Hyunjoong ran downstairs. He found nothing. He quickly walked into the living room searching whatever made that noise. He looked down at the answering machine and saw that there were messages. He pressed the play button.

 

“Hey Hyunjoong, it’s me. I don’t know where you are. I tried calling the hotel but they said you haven’t been coming in. Call me.”

 

“Hey, it’s me again. Just wanted to know if you’re okay. It’s been a few days and I want to talk about what happened. Please call me back.”

 

“It’s me Somin again. I’m being discharged tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be home on Monday. It’s been a week Hyunjoong. Hopefully you’ll be home so that we can talk.”

 

“End of messages.”

 

Hyunjoong looked around him and spotted the calendar on the kitchen wall. It was Monday. Was that her who slammed the door? He ran his fingers through his hair. His eyes caught a shiny glint on the coffee table. Hyunjoong found the engagement ring he had give Somin. He grabbed for it and beside the ring was a note that read ‘Don’t even bother.’

 

No, she couldn’t have seen them. Had she?

 

“Hyunjoong, what’s going?”  Maerin came up from behind him and hugged his waist. “Come on, let’s go back upstairs.”

 

Hyunjoong stared at the ring in the palm of his hand. Did he miss her? Hyunjoong shoved Maerin off of him and headed for the door.

 

“Where are you going?!”

 

Without shoes, Hyunjoong ran out into the pouring rain. Clutching the ring in his hand, he began looking for Somin, hoping that he hadn’t missed her.

 

“Somin! Somin!”

 

He shoved past people and into the main streets. “Somin!”

 

No one answered him. Everyone else was staring at him but they weren’t who he was looking for. He wanted Somin. No, he needed Somin. Hyunjoong stopped in the middle of the street, drenched by the rain. She was no where.

 

“Hyunjoong!”

 

Hyunjoong’s eyes lit up as he turned around hoping it was Somin. Instead it was Maerin running up to him. She grabbed his arm.

 

“Are you crazy?! You’re going to get sick! Come on!” Maerin began to drag him back towards the house.

 

Emotionless, Hyunjoong stared back towards the busy street not giving up on finding Somin. But she was no where to be found. Tears began to well up in his eyes. What had he done?

 

He had lost her.

 

Hyunjoong let out one final frustrated yell, “SOMIN!”

 

 

 

I want to deeply and sincerely apologize for my tardiness on updating the two chapter. At the time I was supposed to release the two I had been so caught up with personal and educational issues that I had to straighten out my priorities first before I could succesfully update the two chapters. I didn't want to give my readers rushed chapters that I would never be satisfied with. These are only excuses and I am sincerely sorry. I want to thank everyone who has been patient with me for so long. I love you guys. This is not the end. Oh no, so please bare with me and my slow updates. This story has yet to begun. I hope you enjoy these two chapters. Please be patient for the future chapters. Thank you. And once again I am very sorry.