F(i)r(s)t (S)and(K)astle

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

The next day, Hyunjoong walked into the house after going out and found the place to be dead silent. He took off his shoes and began making his way to Somin’s office, seeing that the door was opened. Early in the morning, Hyunjoong had gone out to buy supplies for what he had planned today. He had made sure Somin was asleep before heading out.

 

Hyunjoong walked through and found Somin on her laptop on her desk. She was peeling tangerines. Hyunjoong made his way to the little sitting area.

 

As he sat down he asked, “What are you doing?”

 

“Eating tangerines,” replied Somin bluntly as she typed on the computer. “Where’d you go?”

 

“Just out,” replied Hyunjoong. She was definitely still upset about yesterday. He decided to keep the conversation going. “So what are your plans today?”

 

“I have a doctor’s appointment with Dr. Moon today,”

 

“Oh, you still go to those?”

 

Somin looked up at him with a sharp glare. “What kind of a question is that? Of course I still go to “those”. I have to, I’m pregnant. I’ve been going every two weeks since I found out I was pregnant. I can’t just stop Hyunjoong.”

 

“Okay, okay.” Hyunjoong said with a laugh. “Don’t get upset.”

 

“I’m not upset, I’m annoyed.”

 

“Is this one of those mood swings pregnant women have?” teased Hyunjoong. “Or is this just your normal behavior?”

 

Hyunjoong could sense she was getting irritated the more he talked. This made Hyunjoong smile. He loved to ever since he met her. But he knew he shouldn’t. The way he acted last night put a strain on their relationship. He felt bad.

 

She didn’t answer him. Hyunjoong stood up from the sitting area and stood beside Somin. He placed a hand on her shoulder. “I’m just joking,”

 

“I know,” She popped a tangerine in .

 

“What time is your appointment?” asked Hyunjoong as he gently massaged her shoulders.

 

“At 12,”replied Somin.

 

Hyunjoong looked up at the clock. It was around 11:40 a.m.“Come on I’ll take you.”

 

Somin shook her head. “I can just walk—“

 

Hyunjoong took the tangerines out of her hands and placed it on the desk. He swiveled her chair towards him, took her hands, and helped her on her feet. He began pushing her towards the door.

 

A small smile appeared on her lips. “Alright, alright. I can walk to the door myself.”

 

Hyunjoong let go of her and they both put on their shoes, Somin grabbed her bag, and then both made their way to the car. He opened the car door for her and they began to make their way to Dr. Moon’s office.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Somin lay on the gynecologist table with her dress up and her large stomach exposed. Dr. Moon stood before her and began putting the cold jelly over her. She turned her head and found Hyunjoong sitting next to her, staring at her with awe. Somin felt slightly uncomfortable but then again relieved. The dad was here for the first time since they first found out she was pregnant.

 

“Relax Somin, we’ve done this before,” chuckled Dr. Moon. “Is it because Hyunjoong’s here?”

 

Somin only smiled at Dr. Moon as she placed a scanner like tool on her belly and began moving around. Somin looked to the side and stared at the picture that began to form on the screen.

 

“Everything looks good,” said Dr. Moon. “Would you two like to know the of the baby?”

 

“No,” They both said at once.

 

Dr. Moon smiled. “Well that’s a first. Usually there’s a conflict. Somin you’re doing really well for four months. You’ll be entering your fifth month in a week. I’m going to print out the pictures and we’ll meet in my office.” Dr. Moon lifted the tool off and wiped the jelly off. She left the room leaving Somin and Hyunjoong alone.

 

Somin slowly go up from the table and fixed her dress. She looked at Hyunjoong who was looking away. “What? Am I ugly?”

 

Hyunjoong shock his head. “It’s not that…”

 

Somin smirked as she held out her hand for him to take. As he helped her off she said, “You act like you’ve never seen me before.”

 

“Oh now we can make jokes about it,” laughed Hyunjoong as they made their way to Dr. Moon’s office.

 

They sat across from Dr. Moon who had Somin’s files opened. “Everything is okay and the rest of your pregnancy should be smooth. I want you to come back in two weeks. Here are the pictures,” She handed it to the two of them. “I made copies for your moms. So I’ll see the two of you in two weeks?”

 

They both nodded.

 

“Good, and Somin I want you to relax more okay?”

 

Somin nodded. “I will Dr. Moon.”

 

Somin pocketed the pictures in her bag as they made their way out.

 

“Are you tired?” asked Hyunjoong as he helped her in the car.

 

She nodded. “Exhausted.”

 

Hyunjoong got in the driver seat and started the car. Somin turned to look at him.

 

“Go to sleep,” He said. “I have some errands to run before we go home. It won’t take too long but you should rest.”

 

Somin nodded, taking his advice. She rested against the back of her seat and slowly closed her eyes.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong pulled the car to the side of the highway road. He looked over at Somin to make sure she was fast asleep. Okay, so he lied. He lied that he had errands to run. That was the beauty of a surprise event. He quietly got out of the car and opened the door to the backseat. He took out his GPS system and a wool blanket. Hyunjoong softly opened the passenger door and carefully placed the warm blanket over Somin. She didn’t stir a bit and instead snuggled into the blanket. As Hyunjoong got into the car, he attached the GPS system, plugged in the address and began to drive.

 

As Hyunjoong drove, he couldn’t help but glance at Somin once in a while. She looked so peaceful sleeping in the car. She looked so warm in the blanket. He smiled as he reached over to tuck the blanket further in.

 

An hour or so later, they arrived at the destination. Hyunjoong parked in front. He looked around him and realized there was barely anyone around. This was good. Hyunjoong made sure he found a beach that wasn’t too over crowded. He looked over at Somin and began to gently wake her up.

 

She stirred for a bit and then opened her eyes. She looked at him. “Are we home?” She sat up from the seat and looked out the window. “Oh…this is?”

 

“The beach,” said Hyunjoong. He smiled at her before getting out of the car.

 

Somin followed after him. “The beach? I thought you said you were running errands?”

 

Hyunjoong laughed. “I lied,” He motioned for Somin to go on ahead on to the beach. “Check out the water.” He watched Somin before taking out the contents he needed from the trunk.

 

As he walked to her, he could see Somin touching the water with her hand, a soft smile appearing on her lips. She heard his footsteps on the sand and looked behind her.

 

Hyunjoong held up the picnic basket in his hand. “Hungry?”

 

Somin walked towards him nodding. Hyunjoong set out a large blanket and an umbrella to shade them from the sun. It was perfect beach weather. Blue skies, the warmth of the sun and a cool breeze flew through the wind. Once Hyunjoong finished, he helped Somin sit on the blanket and sat down next to her. He began to take out the food which consisted of sandwiches, tangerines, and juice.

 

“It isn’t much,” said Hyunjoong as he handed her a turkey sandwich.

 

She shook her head in disagreement. “It’s fine.” She unwrapped the sandwich and took a bite. “This is good! Did you make this?”

 

Hyunjoong looked down at his own sandwich. “Not really…my mom made it. But, I did cut up the vegetables.”

 

Somin laughed. “Is that where you went off to this morning?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded. “And to get these,” He pointed at the bag next to him.

 

“What is that?” curiously asked Somin.

 

Hyunjoong reached inside the bag and pulled out a tiny plastic pink shovel.

 

Somin’s smile grew wider. “Are we making a sandcastle?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded. “But you have to eat a lot more than just a sandwich.”

 

Somin patted her belly as she jokingly said, “That won’t be a problem.”

 

They continued to eat and chat. The atmosphere between them had lightened. Both were smiling brightly. As soon as they finished their late lunch, Somin wanted to make the sand castle right away.

 

Hyunjoong cleared away the picnic basket and they sat on the sand. Hyunjoong dumped the bag of sandcastle tools before them, which consisted of a pink and blue shovel, matching buckets, and design tools to imprint in the sand. Somin picked up the pink shovel and eagerly held it in her hand.

 

“Do you know how to make a sand castle?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

Somin scoffed. “Of course I do! I’ve seen it in movies.”

 

Hyunjoong eyed her down. “Well okay…” He stood up and grabbed his blue bucket. “I’m going to get some water.”

 

“Water? What do you need water for?”

 

“So that the sand sticks together better.”

 

Somin nodded with an awe expression on her face as if she was a little kid just learning that the earth is actually round.

 

They continued to make the sandcastle together. Hyunjoong showed her how to shape the castle to you wants and soon enough a simple three towered sand castle came together. Using the fun designs, Somin packed a crab design with sand and placed it around the castle. Hyunjoong grabbed the camera out of the picnic basket and began taking pictures. They each took turns taking pictures with the sandcastle. Somin pulled Hyunjoong next to her and took selca shots.

 

After, Somin declared she wanted to go in the water. Hyunjoong followed her as she slowly entered the ocean water. “It’s cold!” She squealed.

 

Hyunjoong smiled behind the camera as he took pictures. She turned to him and lightly splashed water at him.

 

Hyunjoong took her by the hand and led her out of the water to stop her from splashing him. They began walking along the shore, hand in hand. He caught the smiles of ahjummas sunbathing. They talked and joked around. Hyunjoong bought her ice cream at an ice cream truck. They ate their ice cream as they walked hand in hand back to their beach spot.

 

The sun was going to set soon. “Come on let’s sit. The sunset is always the best part,” said Hyunjoong as he gently pulled Somin onto the blanket.

 

The bright blue skies began to turn a blurry bright orange as it began to set over the sea. Hyunjoong looked at Somin, who was watching the sunset as if it was a movie. Hyunjoong took that moment to take Somin’s picture.

 

“What is it with you today and taking pictures?” said Somin as she turned towards Hyunjoong.

 

He shrugged. “There are no pictures around the house.” He put the camera away.

 

“Thank you for today,” said Somin as she looked out into the ocean. “You keep doing things for me that make me thankful. If its to make up for yesterday, then you’re pretty sly.”

 

“Does that mean I’m forgiven?”

 

“You’ll have to forgive me first. I snooped behind your back,” replied Somin.

 

Hyunjoong nodded agreeing. “How about we’re both forgiven then?” Hyunjoong scooted closer to her and wiggled his eyebrows.

 

Somin playfully shoved him, with a laugh. “We’re both forgive.”

 

Hyunjoong leaned back with his hands. They both looked at each other with a small smile.

 

“Remember when I said that I didn’t want you to think that me and you could go any further?” asked Hyunjoong tilting his head to the side, recalling the memory. “I was rude wasn’t I?”

 

Somin nodded her head strongly agreeing. “I was so annoyed at you for making those Casanova like remarks during lunch. I just wanted to wring your neck.”

 

“Look we’re we’ve ended up now. We’re here together, enjoying ourselves. I never thought the person I would be watching the sunset with would be you.” Hyunjoong leaned closer to her face. “Remember when we kissed on New Years?”

 

She nodded at him.

 

“I really want to kiss you right now,” Hyunjoong murmured before slowly pressing his lips softly against hers. He felt her soft pink lips melt into his as he pulled her closer to him. He slowly pulled away as he reached for her cheek and began caressing her cheek. He gazed at her. “For real.”

 

She looked up at him. “What about Maerin?” She whispered.

 

“Why think of her?”

 

“Because you love her.”

 

“Then answer me this. Why is it when I’m with you I can’t think of anything or anyone else but you? Why is it when I’m eating lunch at work I wonder if you’ve eaten lunch too? Why is it when I’m happy, I want share those feelings with you? Why is it when I’m sad or upset, you are the first person I think to turn too? Why is it when I’m driving home from work I get so excited to see you? Why is it that you’ve made me feel strange feelings that no one else I’ve been with has made me feel? Why do I act like a fool for you?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Hyunjoong chuckled. “I don’t know either. What I do know is I can never feel the same way about Maerin after getting to know and like you. So, I’m sorry. For Maerin and for everything.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Somin and Hyunjoong began walking up to the house after getting back from the beach. It was around 9 p.m.now and they had just gotten home. Hyunjoong unlocked the door and together they walked in lazily, exhausted from the unexpected beach trip.

 

“I’m going to use the downstairs bathroom,” announced Somin to Hyunjoong who nodded at her.

 

“I’ll be upstairs washing up okay?”

 

Somin trudged along to the bathroom and once she entered she quickly shut the door. From her pocket, she produced out her cell phone and began to read the unread text messages.

 

‘Let’s meet tonight. –Maerin’

 

‘Please answer my text, I would like to speak to you. –Maerin’

 

‘Call me if you’d like. I’ll be at the park where we met until 12 a.m.–Maerin’

 

Somin looked up from her phone and deeply sighed. She had been receiving these texts all day but decided to ignore them. After thinking for a moment, Somin made a decision on what she should do. She got out of the bathroom and began to make her way upstairs into her bedroom. She surprisingly found Hyunjoong lying down on her bed.

 

“Hey,” said Somin as she got closer to her down. “Go downstairs and sleep.”

 

Hyunjoong shook his head into the pillow. “I want to sleep here tonight.”

 

Somin poked him in the arm. “Yah, get out while I’m being nice.”

 

Hyunjoong’s eyes remained closed pretending to ignore her.

 

She sighed. “I’m going to get changed. If you’re not out by the time I’m done I’m going to kick you where it hurts.” She could see a small smile begin to appear on his lips as she retreated to the walk in closet to change.

 

Ten minutes later, she emerged in sweatpants and a large white off shoulder t-shirt. Hyunjoong was still in the same spot. He rolled over to the other side of the bed and patted the free space.

 

“Come here,” He said softly.

 

Somin gave in and climbed into bed. She turned to the side so that they were now facing each other. “Just for tonight okay?”

 

Hyunjoong nodded with a grin on his face as he slowly closed his eyes and began to fall asleep.

 

Somin kept her eyes wide open as she watched him sleep making sure he wouldn’t stir if she made any noise. Hours flew by. She looked at the clock on her bedside table. It was 11:30 p.m.She slowly got up from bed and quietly exited the bedroom. She quietly went downstairs, grabbed a light coat, and slowly closed the front door behind her.

 

Once she was outside Somin took out her cell phone to make a phone call. “I’m coming. I’ll be there soon.”