Forgiving Is Not That Simple

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

Hyunjoong stumbled back holding his hand to his face. He had just gotten up to properly greet Jinho, when he punched him hard on the face. Hyunjoong’s eyes sharply turned towards Jinho with anger.

 

“What the was that for?!” He wiped away the warm and fresh blood from his face.

 

“I’m ing glad you’re back,” snarled Jinho.

 

“Well it sure doesn’t seem like it!”

 

“You!” began Jinho forcefully. He took a few deep breaths before continuing what he had to say. “You—left Somin. You abandoned her at the time when she needed you the most!”

 

“I didn’t abandon her Jinho! She abandoned me!” Hyunjoong pointed at himself. “She left me!”

 

“You should have fought for her!”

 

“I did!”

 

Jinho smirked with disgust on his face. “Not hard enough,”

 

“What is your problem Jinho?! I’ve done nothing wrong!”

 

“Nothing wrong?” Jinho laughed. “You CHEATED on Somin with Maerin, you—“

 

“It was a mistake!” yelled Hyunjoong. “It was a mistake that could have been figured. Somin didn’t even give me a chance to explain myself!”

 

“Forgiven? The mistake you made is unforgivable,” said Jinho, strong annunciating the last word.

 

“You’re my friend Jinho. We’ve known each other for years. How could you turn your back on me? I would never do that to you if you cheated on Yoomi. I’d expect some sympathy at least!”

 

“I gave you so many chances to prove to me that we’re still friends,” Jinho began. “I gave you a chance to redeem yourself. I sent you an invitation to our wedding. I wanted you to be my best man. You didn’t even show up to and just emailed me a day later telling me you couldn’t make it. No congratulations, no nothing. Then I invited you to Yoomi’s birthday, my birthday, and to even Yoomi’s baby shower. Do you know that she’s even pregnant? I was stupid to think that you would have shown up to at least one. I know we worked in the same hotel for years together but I thought we had a good friendship. I even considered you to be my best friend. I barely got any calls or texts from you for the last five years.”

 

“I was busy…”

 

“That’s bull and you and I both know it. You’re just scared to see Somin again and scared to see the child that you’ve deprived a father from.”

 

Hyunjoong stepped closer to Jinho and looked him straight in the eyes. “You know where she is, don’t you?”

 

Jinho didn’t say a word.

 

Hyunjoong grabbed the collar of Jinho’s shirt forcefully. His knuckled began to turn white from the grip he had on him. “Tell me where she is Jinho.”

 

Jinho pulled his grip away and through gritted teeth said, “Call me when you find your dignity.”

 

He gave Hyunjoong one final look before slamming the office door shut and leaving.

 

Hyunjoong ran his fingers through his hair. He wiped away the continuing gush of blood from his lips. Hyunjoong pushed a button on the phone calling for assistant.

 

“I need a nurse from the infirmary up here, now.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“You don’t need to make anything special,” said Yoomi as they walked together towards Somin’s kitchen.

 

“What are you craving?” asked Somin, ignoring her comment. “I have everything but if I don’t have what you want I can just run to the—“

 

Yoomi put her hand up to cut her off. “I’m really craving the leftovers from last night. That’s all.”

 

Somin smiled. “Fine,” She began taking out the leftovers from the fridge and into the oven. Last night, she had made steak and was now heating it up. Somin began taking out utensils and silverware. She set it all on the dining table. Soon enough, lunch was served.

 

Somin sat across from Yoomi and began to eat.

 

“So,” Yoomi began. “I didn’t get a chance to really talk to you last night since I practically passed out after dinner…but how’s life here on Jeju Island?”

 

“It’s good,” replied Somin. “I stay home and work in the office while Eli is gone and then take care of him in the afternoon when he comes back from school.”

 

“Is that how my life will be with my future child?” jokingly said Yoomi with a huge smile.

 

“Don’t count on any free time,” replied Somin with a laugh.

 

“Are you happy though?” asked Yoomi as she ate a spoonful of steak and rice.

 

Somin surprised by that question responded with, “Yes, of course.”

 

“But you’re lonely,”

 

“I have Eli,”

 

“No, you’re lonely in here,” Yoomi points at her heart. “You need that manly figure in your life back.”

 

“I don’t know Yoomi…” said Somin hesitantly. “I’m perfectly fine being single.”

 

“Oh come on Somin! You’re 27 years old and you want that feeling of romance back in your life. It’s time to really settle down and have that family you’ve always wanted.” Yoomi tilted her head and gave Somin a soft smile. “I think it’s time you start dating again.”

 

“But Eli—“

 

“He’s old enough to understand that mommy needs some lovin’ too!”

 

Somin slowly began to nod her head, agreeing with Yoomi. “You’re right. I guess I am feeling a bit lonely these days.”

 

Yoomi let out a jubilant cry. “Jung Somin is back in the dating game boys!”

 

They laughed together heartily and continued on eating lunch together.

 

As they ate, Somin couldn’t help thinking Yoomi was very right. Her heart was yearning for a more than friend relationship with a guy. She was, well she’d never admit it, jealous of Yoomi and Jinho’s relationship who were both unafraid to show affection and love to each other. She wanted that feeling again.

 

“You know you can’t tell my mom right?” announced Somin. “Because if she finds out that I want to start dating again it’ll be nonstop setups with her.”

 

Yoomi laughed. “I know you’re mom as well as I know my own. Don’t worry I won’t tell her. I have my own guys in mind for you anyways.”

 

Somin rolled her eyes. “Just choose one.”

 

“One!” exclaimed Yoomi. “That’s impossible Somin! How about two?”

 

She shook her head no. “One and that’s all. So make it good.”

 

Yoomi sighed. “Fine, we’ll do it your way.”

 

Somin gently placed her hand over Yoomi’s. “Thanks Yoomi, for everything.”

 

“I’m just looking out for you,” replied Yoomi as she squeezed Somin’s hand.

 

“I know,”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“How did you get this cut?” asked the nurse who was treating Hyunjoong in the office.

 

He was sitting on the sofa, looking up at the young nurse before him. She was gently applying medicine on his lip to stop the bleeding.

 

“I tripped,” muttered Hyunjoong.

 

She gave him a “Do you think I’m an idiot?” look but didn’t press him for more details. She just continued on applying the medicine.

 

Once she was done, the nurse advised him to apply the ointment every night for the next week to prevent scaring. She gave him one more look of curiosity and left.

 

Hyunjoong began to pace around the office. Jinho had made a 360 degree turn with their friendship. But Hyunjoong needed him. He knew where Somin was.

 

Nervously, Hyunjoong reached inside his dress shirt and produced a long silver chain wrapped around his neck. Attached to the chain was a pair of rings. He rubbed the two rings between his fingers as his hand shook.

 

“It’s only my second day back and I already have to deal with this mess!” He stopped pacing for a moment.

 

His parents. Hyunjoong’s mom must know where Somin is. Although he had asked his mother five years ago, Hyunjoong had always suspected she was lying. If Jinho knew, his mother must know. But it was going to be hard. His relationship with his mother had withered down to barely speaking. He had sensed her disappointment in him. Hyunjoong knew what he had to do.

 

Hyunjoong opened the door of his office. “Cancel all my plans today.”

 

His assistant and all his secretaries turned their eyes towards him.

 

“Just tell them I’m not feeling well and reschedule everything.”

 

They all nodded at him as he made his way out and into the hotel. He could feel all the visitors stare at his busted lip. But Hyunjoong didn’t care. He had one goal in mind and it had to be done his way.

 

...........................................

 

Hyunjoong stepped out of his car and onto the driveway of his childhood house. He lived in a beige Victorian house. As he walked through the front door, flashbacks of his childhood memories began to play in his head.

 

When he was five he remembered the first time he sunk a basket in the hoop by himself without the help of his dad. He remembered his tenth birthday party and how all his friends came and all the wonderful gifts he received. He remembered his first punishment for getting a C on his report card. He remembered obtaining a large gash on his forehead from jumping off the swings in his backyard thinking he could fly. He remembered the time he mixed the maids dusting cans with his dads shaving cream and got punished for a week. He remembered kissing his first girlfriend outside his house. He remembered getting his drivers license and the first thing he did was get a burger. He remembered coming home after the New Years night with Somin to find his mother setting him up on a date. He remembered coming home exhausted and petrified after finding out Somin was pregnant. He remembered their family dinner here. He remembered his mom’s happiness when she believed he had found the one. This house was a large photo album.

 

After searching all the rooms Hyunjoong could think his mom was in, he finally made his way outside her garden. Her garden or her paradise as she liked to call it was a large area outside of their backyard that was built as a fortress of colorful flowers. Hyunjoong found her sitting in a white aluminum whimsical chair. Her back was too him. Since it was fall, the leaves on the trees of her garden were all beginning to flutter to the ground. Her fresh flowers of spring and summer were beginning to shrivel up and hide away for the cold season ahead. Her garden tools lay untouched on the matching white table.

 

With small steps, Hyunjoong began to make his way towards his mother. “Umma,”

 

Her head turned ever so slightly to take a glimpse of who had called her name. The appearance of his mother shocked him. She looked…tired. Her hair was in a tight bun. Loose strands of gray hair gave way to her aging. Her lips were dry and her face slightly wrinkled by her eyes. Her eyes had lost its energy and luminosity over the years. Had it been that long?

 

She gave Hyunjoong a small smile. “You’re back.” She turned away from him and continued to stare out in the garden. “Are you back for good?”

 

“I don’t know,” replied Hyunjoong. “I wanted to see you though.”

 

“I see…”

 

Hyunjoong walked around the white table and faced his mother. “Mom, I need to ask you something.”

 

“What is it my son?”

 

“I want you to tell me where Somin is.”

 

She laughed quietly. “I didn’t expect that name to come out of your lips.”

 

“Please, just tell me where she is. I know you know.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Hyunjoong ah.”

 

“Yes you do! I know you do!” yelled Hyunjoong. He was losing his temper fast. “You’ve known all along where she is. I know you do!”

 

She kept her calm posture as she simply answered him with, “No I don’t.”

 

“I’m 29 years old now mother. I’m not a child! I deserve to know where she is. All I want mom is for you to just tell me where she is.”

 

“You know, I made a promise five years ago to a heartbroken girl with a beautiful baby boy in her arms. I came to her crying begging forgiveness for my son’s actions. She accepted the apology but in her eyes, oh those sad brown eyes, I knew that she was just in so much pain. She asked me to keep her whereabouts a secret. And so I did. That was the last promise I gave to that beautiful soul. I made sure her home was unlisted from spying detectives. I made sure the name under the house wasn’t hers. I made it seem like she was invisible. In return, I was blessed that she didn’t resent me and let me see my grandson once in a while.” His mother closed her eyes as she whispered the last words. “I owed her something Hyunjoong.”

 

Tears were now forming in Hyunjoong’s eyes. “I--I can’t believe you. You knew how depressed I was. You knew that I wanted to find her. You knew that I wanted her back. You knew where she was all along! You lied to me! Your own son! Instead, you supported the woman I knocked up over me!”

 

“How dare you!” yelled his mother. “You ungrateful son! Did you think I didn’t support what you did? You left to Americawithout a word. You didn’t even think about the family you were so willing to leave behind. You didn’t even look back once. Sure, the conception between you and Somin was a mistake. But for that few months don’t you dare deny to me that you were in love with that woman.” She was struggling to keep from shaking as her hands gripped the armrests of the chair.

 

Hyunjoong, with endless tears dropping from his eyes, kneeled down in front of his mother. He bowed his head down to her. His body began to shake and breaths became hallow gasps for air. “Please, please just tell me where she is! Please! I’m begging you! Please forgive me this once and tell me where she is!”

 

“Hyunjoong, that’s enough!”

 

Hyunjoong looked up to find his father standing beside his mother with angry eyes.

 

“Get up Hyunjoong,” said his father. Hyunjoong didn’t dare move. “Now!”

 

Obeying his father’s command, Hyunjoong slowly got up from his position.

 

His father’s hand gently laid on his mother’s shoulder. He gave her a small squeeze. “Yeobo, it’s time that you tell him where she is.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

After lunch, Somin and Yoomi were doing the dishes together in the kitchen. Somin was washing and rinsing why Yoomi was drying. If Somin had it her way, Yoomi would be on the couch resting. But being the energetic and stubborn Yoomi she was, she had insisted on helping Somin clean.

 

They were just about done when the house began to ring.

 

“Go get it,” said Yoomi taking the last plate away from Somin. “I’ll finish it up quick.”

 

Somin mouthed thanks as she dashed to the living room to answer the phone. “Hello? Hi mom! Mom? What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

 

“Your father,” began her mom through sobbing. “Had a .”

 

Somin looked up and caught eyes with Yoomi’s.

 

“Which hospital is he in? I’ll be right there.”