Not My Cup Of Tea

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

[A/N] Hello my beloved subbies and anyone that may be reading this for the first time. I jsut want to thank you all for following this story. I really really really appreciate it! So I wanted to do this once I updated this chapter. Who here has a tumblr? Don't know tumblr? Shame. Look it up :P But I have one and I've recently got to getting into it again. I want to follow more blogs and have my dashboard come to life. So, if I can get ten subbies to follow me on tumblr then I will post up two brand new chapters! If you'd like me to follow you and of course for you to follow me back please comment below (after you've read the chapter of course) of your tumblr username and I'll be sure to follow you! Thanks everyone in advance because honestly I'd love to see all your tumblr blogs! Hope you enjoy the chapter! -sarangstoryxx

 

...........................................

 

“Pull up here please,” Somin said as she directed the taxi driver up to Seoul National University Hospital. “Thank you,” She turned to Yoomi who had Eli’s head on her lap asleep.

 

“Do you need help?” She asked.

 

Somin shook her head. “That’s alright. I called Jinho from the airport. I can tell the taxi driver—“

 

“No,” Yoomi opened the other side of the taxi door and began getting out. “I’ll go with you.”

 

Somin nodded. She gently lifted Eli up into a sitting position then helped him onto her back so that he wouldn’t have to wake up. It was past 11 pm. They were all tired.

 

With Yoomi trailing behind, they rushed inside the hospital. At the front desk, they were directed to one of the hospital suites. Somin found the room, 1204, and opened it slowly. The room was quiet and the soft hissing sounds of the vaporizer filled the room. Her mother was asleep by her father’s bed with her head resting on his arm. Seeing a couch, Somin decided to set Eli on it before waking her mother up. Somin motioned for Yoomi to sit as well.

 

Once Eli and Yoomi were comfortable, Somin walked over to her mother and gently tapped her on the shoulder. Her mother shot up from her position. She took one look at Somin and cried out loud and embraced her in a full on tight squeezed hug. Tears in Somin’s eyes began to form as she too hugged her mother with all her might.

 

“How’s Daddy?”

 

“He’s had a and right now he’s unconscious. Oh, Somin I don’t know what to do!”

 

She rubbed her moms back lightly. “It’ll be okay umma, it’ll be okay.”

 

There was a sudden knock on the door. They broke away from each other and her mom called whoever it was in. A man in his 60’s walked into the room. Somin vaguely remembered him but he was her father’s lawyer for several years, even before she was born.

 

“Mr. Seo, what are you doing here?” asked her mom.

 

“I want to talk to you both about the company,” replied Mr. Seo.

 

Her mom looked back at Somin with a concerned expression. Somin nodded her head. She led the two of them to sit down on the couch. They sat opposite of Mr. Seo. He began to take out papers from his briefcase and laid them out on the table.

 

“What are these Mr. Seo?”

 

Somin took Eli in her arms and began to carry them to make room for her mother and Yoomi who was sitting on the couch as well. She began walking around the room to soothe Eli.

 

“These are the company papers,” said Mr. Seo. “And this is your husband’s will and testament in the event that he is no longer living.”

 

“Mr. Seo!” yelped out Somin’s mother.

 

He calmly gazed at her. “It is just for precaution Inyoung. We do not know what will happen in the future and Ilwoo knew that. As he was aging I made sure he made a will and testament. In it, he asked me to do a favor for him in the event that he is sick and is not awake.” Mr. Seo reached for one of the papers on the table. “I, Jung Ilwoo, in the event of my absence from the company bestow my daughter Jung Somin to be the rightful heir of Jung Tech Cell phone Company and to replace me as chairman. I give her all my duties until I am better or if I am no longer living please refer to my will and testament.” Mr. Seo set down the paper in front of Somin’s mom for her to read. “As that he is still living but is sick, this statement will go into effect immediately.

 

Somin taken aback by all the news walked closer to Mr. Seo and stood beside him. “You mean I’m the new chairman of Jung Tech Cell phone Company?”

 

Mr. Seo nodded. “Yes, I see that you do not live in Seoul. I suggest that you move back and begin your duties immediately.”

 

“Umma!”

 

“Shhhhh!” Her mother looked up at her with stern eyes. “Your father would never give you this job if he thought you couldn’t handle it. Somin ah, someone has to take over the company while he’s gone and you’re his only child. You have to move back to Seoul.”

 

“Umma, I design cell phones. I don’t know how to run a business. Sure, I saw myself taking over the company but at a much older age! I have no experience! And I have Eli to take care of!”

 

“You have to do this Somin. At least try! Your dad wanted it this way and we have to fulfill it.”

 

Her mother was right. Either way she was going to take over the company one day and her dad hadn’t even regained consciousness yet. It was the right thing to do.

 

Somin turned to Mr. Seo and gave him a determined look. “Okay, I’ll do it.”

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

It was the next day after his visit to his parent’s home and Hyunjoong looked up at the airport board that read out the times for all the flights. He mumbled out the time of his flight and began to play with his passport just to pass time for his flight to Jeju Island.

 

Hyunjoong had successfully gotten the address and location of Somin’s whereabouts from his mother. It took desperate pleading from him and his father to obtain the information.

 

Now, Hyunjoong was here at GimpoInternationalAirportalone and nervous. He wasn’t sure what exactly would happen.

 

“Now boarding flight 1017 to Jeju Island,”

 

Hyunjoong stood up from his seat and swung his brown messenger bag on his shoulder. As he made his way towards the terminal, his heart began to beat faster and faster.

 

...........................................

 

“Hi, can you please drive to this address?” Hyunjoong handed the taxi driver a piece of paper of Somin’s address on it. “Thanks.”

 

Hyunjoong leaned back into the back passenger seat and watched the view of Jeju Island pass before his eyes. Unlike the fall season that had stricken Seoul, Jeju kept its warmth and sunny atmosphere it has all year round. There was an obvious cool breeze in the air but either way the weather was beautiful.

 

The driver continued on driving until the main town began to disappear. Hyunjoong noticed that they were now going up a dirt road and the scenery began to disappear behind the large green trees. There was another long narrow path and the driver finally turned into the parking lot of a large modern house.

 

Hyunjoong quickly paid the driver and stepped out of the car. He looked around him and found that the house was very private and very isolated. “Umma wasn’t kidding when she said that she wanted to keep them hidden.”

 

Hyunjoong walked up to the front door and began ringing the doorbell. After a few rings, no one came to the door. Hyunjoong looked around and found that the gate leading towards the back yard was open. He began to make his way to the back.

 

Hyunjoong found who seemed to be the gardener as the woman began to mend to the bushes and flowers.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

The gardener looked up and nodded at him. “Yes, who are you?”

 

“I’m Kim Hyunjoong. I’m looking for the owner of the house, Jung Somin.”

 

The gardener shrugged. “I got a call this morning from Somin that she won’t be coming back for a while and to continue tidying up the backyard like I usually do. And…who are you exactly.”

 

“Um, I’m a friend of hers that just came back. And where did she go exactly?” asked Hyunjoong.

 

“I heard she went back to Seoul in the middle of the middle of the day yesterday for an emergency. Everyone in town is talking about it. But since you’re a friend, there’s a spare key in the flower pot here. If you want you can go inside and call her or something. I’ll be out here if you need me.”

 

“Thank you,” Hyunjoong walked to the flower pot and grabbed the spare key. He walked back to the front and unlocked the door. Hyunjoong cautiously stepped inside and took off his shoes.

 

The house was chic and very clean. He began to walk around. Hyunjoong hovered over a picture frame and picked it up from the coffee table. It was a picture of Somin and a little boy who seemed to be his son. He ran his thumb over his face and smiled. So that’s what he looked like.

 

Hyunjoong set the frame down and began to walk towards the kitchen and to the refridgerator. He found a list of emergency contact numbers. The list must have been for the baby sitter.

 

There on the top of the list was Somin’s number. He quickly took out his own cell phone and saved the number into his contact list. Hyunjoong was definitely going to call.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Mommy, where are we?”

 

Somin slowly began to open her eyes. Eli was peering over her with wide eyes. She began to sit up and quickly stretched. She looked around her. They were in her parent’s home and on her bed. Eli was still asleep at the time Somin had made her way back home. Her mother had decided to stay in the hospital and had urged Somin to rest at home with Eli.

 

“We’re at grandma and grandpa’s house,” She ruffled Eli’s messy bed head. “Remember we traveled to Seoul last night? You fell asleep so I took you here.” Somin got up from bed and motioned for Eli to follow her. “Come on, you go on and wash up and I’ll go make breakfast, okay?”

 

Eli nodded obediently and headed towards the bathroom in Somin’s old room. They had gotten home pretty late last night and Eli was already knocked out at the hospital. After signing papers and reading files, as of today, Somin was the new chairman of Jung Tech Cell phone Company. It was all such a rush for her.

 

Somin found the maid in the kitchen already making breakfast. “Ahjumma, you’re making breakfast?”

 

She laughed. “That’s my job Somin ah, welcome home.” She pointed at the dining table. “Go on ahead and sit. I’ve just set up the rice and side dishes. The soup will be done in a few seconds.”

 

Somin did as she was told and sat in her regular seat. “How’s it been ahjumma?”

 

She chuckled. “Well working here for almost thirty years and it’s been the quietest five years since you’ve been gone.”

 

Somin laughed. “How about mom and dad? Have they been okay?”

 

The ahjumma nodded. “Busy as usual the two of them. They miss you though. Your mom stares at that picture of you and Eli almost everyday and your dad still uses the cell phone you designed in 2006.”

 

“Now that dad’s practically in a coma, I’ll be the one missing them.” Somin watched as ahjumma set the large bowl of soup in the middle of the dining table, steaming fresh.

 

“I’m one hundred percent sure your dad will recover. If I know the man as well as I do, he’ll be up on his feet before you know it. Now, where’s that kid of yours? I’ve missed that little nugget too.”

 

“Ahjumma!” Eli ran to her and gave ahjumma a big hug. She laughed and patted him on the head.

 

They all sat down. Somin and Eli began chowing down while ahjumma watched them.

 

Ever since Somin could remember, there was always a second mother figure in her life and that was ahjumma. She never let Somin call her by her first or last name so it was always just ahjumma.

 

Whenever her parents weren’t home it was always ahjumma tending to her.

 

“I heard from your mother that you’re going to be the new chairman of the company,”

 

Somin looked up at her in shock. How’d she know that so fast?

 

Ahjumma chuckled. “She called me this morning. I guess I’ll have to be the one to take care of little nugget here.”

 

Somin smiled with appreciation. “Thanks ahjumma. I could always count on you.”

 

Suddenly, the door bell rang. Ahjumma began to get up to head for the door but Somin insisted she would get it. She walked towards the door and opened it. A woman and a man stood in front of her.

 

“Hi? How can I help—“

 

“We’re your stylists.”

 

“My…what?!”

 

“Your stylists,” Mr. Seo appeared behind them with a smile on his face. “It’s for your first national conference.”

 

“My first what?!”

 

The three of them began to push their way through inside the house. The two makeup artists were rolling in train cases and a dress rack. Mr. Seo instructed them to head up to Somin’s room. He turned to Somin and urged her to follow him.

 

Somin in disbelief did as she was told and hurried behind them.

 

“Mr. Seo I don’t need all this I can just—“

 

A stylist set her down in front of her vanity and began to look at her hair.

 

“You need to make a good impression at the meeting. You’ll be presented in front of many stock holders of the company. It would be in your best interest to not only look good but to speak good as well,” Mr. Seo her handed a piece of paper. “Here is a guideline of your speech. You can add whatever you want to it.” Then he handed her a regal blue folder with gold imprinting on it that read J.T.C.C. and the company logo. “And here is the itinerary of your whole day.”

 

“Mr. Seo, this is going way too fast.” She looked up at him just as the stylist began styling her hair. “Are you sure the conference has to be today?”

 

He nodded. “The newspapers are in a frenzy and they want answers. The sooner we get this conference out of the way the better it is.”

 

“Are there going to be a lot of reporters and cameras?” Somin asked.

 

“Yes, but don’t be nervous you’ll do fine!”

 

“What time is the conference Mr. Seo?”

 

“Late afternoon.”

 

“Late afternoon?!”

 

Suddenly, Somin’s cell phone began to ring. She reached into her sweater pocket and produced out her phone. It was an unknown caller. Before Somin could answer it, Mr. Seo snatched it away from her.

 

“Not today Somin, you can’t distracted.” Mr. Seo pocketed her cell phone inside his suit jacket pocket. For an old man, he was pretty sure uptight. “Now while the stylists are working on you I suggest you start planning and memorizing your speech. Oh, and if you don’t mind I’m going to go downstairs and eat some of that delicious soup that was on the table.”

 

Somin starred at the back of Mr. Seo’s head as he left and closed her bedroom door shut. He was sure cheeky.

 

Somin decided if she was going to succeed as temporary chairman, well woman, then she would just have to follow Mr. Seo’s orders.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

“Why isn’t she answering?” Hyunjoong ended the call once he hit voicemail.

 

He had ended up hearing Somin’s voice mail about five times now. Hyunjoong had decided to give up for now and to call her later. Hyunjoong locked the front door and placed the spare keys back in the flower pot. He bid the gardener good bye and thanked her for her help.

 

Hyunjoong then called up a taxi service, so that he could go into town and get some lunch.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Somin stood nervously in the waiting area waiting for the national conference. She clutched her speech in her hand as the two stylists were fixing any creases in her dress and touching up her hair and makeup. Somin looked at herself in the mirror and attempted a nervous smile. It didn’t work.

 

Instead, she stared at the unfamiliar face in the mirror. The two stylists had done a pretty good job of accentuating her features. It had been a while since Somin’s really dressed up since Eli was born. Her make up was light, with tight lined black eyeliner, pale pink lips, and a blushing peach blush. Her hair was straight down except for her bangs which were swept to the side with a bobby pin. Her dress was a pale blue strapless tulip dress. It had beautiful and intricate detailing which she loved. (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QXPGLKq2LVI/S5VG1fX6T4I/AAAAAAAAAfQ/ZJVoUV6FW2Y/s400/030310_tulip+blue+dress.jpg) On her feet were pumps. She looked so strange but Somin loved it.

 

“You look hot,”

 

Somin turned to see who had entered the waiting room and there was Yoomi holding Eli’s hand. Somin walked over to them with a big smile.

 

“What are you two doing here?” asked Somin as she hugged Eli into a tight hug.

 

“We’re here to see the broadcast!” explained Yoomi. “I picked this one up at your home. I asked ahjumma to come but she just wanted to stay home.”

 

Somin sighed with a smile. “Thanks Yoomi and you too Eli.”

 

“Umma, you look so pretty!” He reached for her hand.

 

Somin ruffled the top of his head. “Thanks buddy,”

 

“Are you nervous?” asked Yoomi.

 

Somin looked at her with a nervous smile. “This is not my cup of tea Yoomi.”

 

Yoomi placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed. “You’ll do great. You’ve got it down pat. Your dad and mom will be so proud of you!”

 

“Jung Somin, the conference will begin in five minutes! Please get to your position.”

 

Somin let go of Eli’s hand. “That’s my cue baby. Wish me luck!”

 

“Good luck mom!”

 

Somin waved goodbye to the two of them and followed Mr. Seo and his assistant to her position or entrance spot. Her speech began to shake in her hands. Somin let out deep breaths to calm her rapidly beating heart. Suddenly a bright light appeared and the conference room door opened, waiting for Somin to step inside.

 

Switch~...//...//...

 

Hyunjoong arrived outside of a local restaurant. He was seated at a table in front of a T.V. He ordered whatever the owner recommended and waited for his meal.

 

Hyunjoong was pretty disappointed. He had high hopes for this trip, hoping to find Somin and his son. Instead, he found a gardener and unanswered questions. Fate was really playing with him and he hated the feeling of losing.

 

“Here’s your meal,”

 

The waitress set down a steaming hot bowl of kimchi soup, rice, and side dishes. Hyunjoong thanked her and began to eat.

 

Today, a special press conference with the daughter of the owner of Jung Tech Cell phone Company will be held today to discuss future plans for the company. About two days ago, President of the company Jung Ilwoo had been hospitalized with a . He is currently unconscious but has left a testament stating that in his emergency absence from the company his daughter and heir of the company Jung Somin will take over. Here comes Jung Somin now.”

 

Hyunjoong looked up at the T.V. upon hearing Somin’s name with his mouth wide open in shock. “Ahjumma, can you please turn up the volume here!”

 

A flash of cameras, reporters, and stockholders were present. Somin was gorgeous against the light. She had a regal air around her as she sat softly on the head chair of the conference table. She bowed her head and introduced herself.

 

“Hello everyone, my name is Jung Somin and I am the only child of Jung Ilwoo. With the unfortunate events that have occurred in the past few days I, under my fathers wishes, have stepped up to take over the chairman position of this company. Although it may seem like I have no experience as a business woman I am here to tell you all today that I am determined. I may make mistakes but who doesn’t? My father surely has and he has learned from it. I have grown up standing side by side with my dad in his office learning from him. I started out as designer of cell phones and now I am the chairman or should I say chairwoman?” She put on a soft smile and continued. “I would greatly appreciate all your support in this difficult time for all of us. I will prove to you all that I can be a great chairwoman. Now, if any of you have any questions I will answer them now and thank you all.”

 

A clap erupted and reporters began calling her name for her to answer questions.

 

Hyunjoong leaned back into his chair with a solemn smile on his face. “, she looks beautiful.”