Headlines

Plaid Shirts & Lipsticks

 

“Oh come on Eli, it’s time for bed!” Somin yelled as she came trudging up the stairs. “I cleaned up everything and you promised to go to bed right after!” 
 
 
She saw Eli run pas the staircase. “I’m going! I’m going!”
 
 
Somin walked to Eli’s room and found him on his bed, smiling at her. She shook her head with a grin. “This is what I get for letting you have two pieces of cake.”
 
 
“But it was my birthday!”
 
 
“You’re right,” said Somin as she kissed him on the forehead. “And are you happy?”
 
 
“So happy!” replied Eli with his hands up in the air.
 
 
She laughed. “Alright birthday boy, choose a book so we can get you to bed.”
 
 
Eli chose a book and handed it to Somin. She began to read him his bedtime story.
 
 
An hour later, Eli had finally gotten out of his sugar high and drifted off to sleep. Somin tucked him in cozily, his night light, and went out of the room. 
 
 
Somin went down the hallway and stopped at Hyunjoong’s room. Her mind played back the kiss in the fields. 
 
 
After the kiss, they had walked back together silently to the house. She couldn’t look at nor say a word to him and neither could he. She had rejoined the party putting an eased smile on. 
 
 
Her hand hovered over the door, before knocking on it. 
 
 
“Come in,”
 
 
She opened the door and stepped inside his room.
 
 
Hyunjoong was in the bed looking over some files that must have something to do with the hotel. He looked up at her. They stared at each other silently. Hyunjoong set his files down on the bedside table, scooted over and patted the empty space beside him. Somin walked over, climbed into the bed, and snuggled into Hyunjoong’s arms. She rested her head over his heart and wrapped her arms around him. She could hear his heart beat a steady rhythm.
 
 
He wrapped his arms tighter around her and rested his chin on top of her head. 
 
 
Somin closed her eyes as his body warmth enveloped around her. “Can I sleep here tonight?” She asked in a whisper.
 
 
She felt him move a little and she heard the bedside lamp click off. The room turned into darkness. 
 
 
“Of course,” He said as he pulled the blankets around the both of them.
 
 
Somin snuggled into the covers and into his arms deeper as he drifted off to sleep. 
 
 
...........................................
 
 
Creek. Creek. Creek.
 
 
Jung Somin could feel the bed she was sleeping on being jumped on. She shook her head thinking it was a dream but the constant movement didn’t stop. She opened her eyes to find Eli on the foot of the bed jumping about. She groaned loudly and plopped her head back down on the pillow. She turned to her left and found Hyunjoong still asleep.
 
 
“Mommy! Daddy!”
 
 
Somin nudged Hyunjoong awake. 
 
 
He looked at her with tired eyes. 
 
 
“What time is it?” He whispered. 
 
 
She shrugged.
 
 
Suddenly, Eli crawled in between them and plopped his small body down on the bed. He looked at them both with wide eyes. “Does this mean my birthday wish came true? Do you two love each other again?!”
 
 
Hyunjoong looked over at Somin with a wide smile as he said, “I’ve never stopped.” 
 
 
Somin smiled back at him. “Neither have I,” 
 
 
Eli sat upright with a grin on his face. “I have to go tell Ahjumma!” With that he ran off and out of the room.
 
 
Somin let out a big laugh as she pulled the covers tighter around her. She looked up into Hyunjoong’s eyes, which were staring down at her. A small smile played on his lips. 
 
 
“Ahjumma will never let this go.” said Somin. 
 
 
“I know,” replied Hyunjoong as he her hair.
 
 
Somin turned her head towards the clock. “I’m hungry and it’s almost lunch time.”
 
 
Hyunjoong sighed as he reached down and kissed Somin sweetly on the lips. “One more minute?”
 
 
“Fine, one more minute.”
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
It was a sunny afternoon in Jeju Island as Hyunjoong and Somin walked down a dirt path leading to the fields hand in hand. 
 
 
“So, what is this that we’re doing here?” asked Somin out loud breaking the comfortable silence between them. 
 
 
Hyunjoong gave her a look. “What do you mean?”
 
 
She rolled her eyes at him. “You always say that but you know exactly what I mean.”
 
 
Hyunjoong smiled. “Okay then, let’s start anew.”
 
 
“You mean…a clean slate?”
 
 
He nodded. “A clean slate on our relationship. Let’s drop the past and completely forget about it. After all, the past is the past.”
 
 
Somin nodded at him in agreement.
 
 
They continued on until they reached the top of the hill. They sat down with Somin’s head lying on Hyunjoong’s lap. 
 
 
“What about our parents?” She asked.
 
 
“They’ll want us to get married as soon as possible,” answered Hyunjoong. “I’m not getting any younger you know.” 
 
 
“Neither am I!” retorted Somin.
 
 
“So then how should we do this?”
 
 
“I guess…we’ll just have to tell them when we get home.”
 
 
“Speaking of home,” said Hyunjoong. “I want you and Eli to make in with me.”
 
 
“Isn’t that taking things a little too fast?” asked Somin, looking up into his eyes. 
 
 
He looked down at her. “Is it?”
 
 
She nodded. “Let’s just take things slow for now.”
 
 
“Alright,” said Hyunjoong. “But at least wear this for me.”
 
 
Hyunjoong reached around his neck and unclasped the silver chain. He slid the two rings off and took Somin’s left hand. “It looks better on you anyways.”
 
 
Somin grinned at him as he slid the engagement ring on her left finger. “You too.” She took the other ring and slid it on his ring finger on his left hand. “It’s a promise now. You can’t leave me ever again after putting a ring on my finger twice!”
 
 
Hyunjoong intertwined their freshly ringed hands together. “I won’t.”
 
 
“Hey Mr. Kim, you think the newspapers would get a hold of our relationship. You are after all pretty well known.” 
 
 
“So are you Miss Jung.”
 
 
“Not as much as Mr. I-Dominated-The-American-Business-Market!”
 
 
“I only did that so I can forget about you!” countered Hyunjoong.
 
 
Somin pouted. “Fine,”
 
 
“Besides,” said Hyunjoong. “No one will find out about is that quick. Let’s just hope for the best.”
 
 
They stayed in the fields, enjoying each others company. 
 
 
...........................................
 
 
“We’re going to be late!” yelled Eli as he ran into the airport terminal. 
 
 
“Eli slow down!” yelled Somin.
 
 
Hyunjoong huffed as he followed behind Somin and Eli with all their luggage in tow.
 
 
They were running late to catch their flight. They arrived at their flight line and followed others who were about to board.
 
 
“You know your father, he can’t wake up in the mornings!”
 
 
“Those are lies!” yelled Eli. “I saw you two kissing in the bathroom!”
 
 
“Eli!” yelled Hyunjoong and Somin at the same time.
 
 
Hyunjoong looked around him and found others snickering at the three. He bashfully smiled at them and returned his attention back to Eli.
 
 
“Kiddo, we’re sorry. But at least we’re here now.”
 
 
“I just don’t like being late,” muttered Eli under his breath.
 
 
Hyunjoong laughed as he put his arm around Somin’s shoulders.
 
 
“Our kid is so responsible,” said Somin with a smile.
 
 
“Too responsible sometimes,”
 
 
“I heard that Dad!”
 
 
They boarded the airplane and were finally on their way back to Seoul. 
 
 
As Hyunjoong adjusted into his seat, he reflected back on the past week. Somin and him had been inseparable, doing everything together along with Eli. He had visited Eli’s old school, taught his friends soccer, helped Somin prepare her backyard for the winter, help her clean the house, and even did some business work together. They hadn’t done anything romantic but the fact that they were together counted.
 
 
He looked over at Somin who was leaned back, comfortable, and reading a book. As if she felt him watching her, she held up her hand for him to take, which Hyunjoong happily did.
 
 
They both had to make up a lot for the past five years.
 
 
...........................................
 
 
“Hyunjoong over here!”
 
 
“Somin! Give us a smile!” 
 
 
“Are the rumors true? Did you two have a child five years ago?!”
 
 
“Is that your kid?!”
 
 
“What’s his name?”
 
 
“Are you two back together now?!”
 
 
“What is the story between you two?!”
 
 
“When did this love story start?!”
 
 
“Will this affect your companies?”
 
 
“Was this an arranged marriage from the start?”
 
 
“I see couple rings!”
 
 
Hyunjoong put his arms around Somin and Eli as he tried to shield the two of them from the paparazzi. Luckily for him he had pre called a taxi for them.
 
 
“I knew this was going to happen,” angrily whispered Somin. 
 
 
“I didn’t know it would happen like this!” whispered back Hyunjoong.
 
 
“Hyunjoong this is ridiculous! Hold Eli!”
 
 
Hyunjoong pulled Eli closer to him as they exited the airport. He could see the scared look in Eli’s eyes.
 
 
The taxi Hyunjoong had called was already waiting for them with open doors. Somin and Eli hurried in while Hyunjoong placed all their luggage in the trunk. As soon as he was done he hopped into the taxi, told the address to the driver, and sped off. 
 
 
“I’m sorry about all that buddy,” said Hyunjoong to Eli. 
 
 
“Me too,” said Somin as she Eli’s hair. 
 
 
Eli shook his head. “It’s okay.”
 
 
The rest of the ride back to the Jung house was silent.
 
 
When they arrived, Hyunjoong helped Somin take out their luggage from the back. Hyunjoong was just about to take out his own when Somin stopped him.
 
 
“I think you should go home.”
 
 
Hyunjoong looked at her confused. The plan was for him to stay at her home for the rest of the day. 
 
 
“What do you mean?” asked Hyunjoong. “I should stay here with you in case--”
 
 
“No!” interrupted Somin. She looked him straight in the eyes until she cooled down. “I can’t risk them coming here right now. It’s not safe for Eli. Just please go home.”
 
 
“I’m not going to leave you two here alone!” fired back Hyunjoong.
 
 
“You’ll have too!” replied Somin. “If you really want this to work Hyunjoong, please, just go home!”
 
 
He looked at her to see if she was really serious and when he saw that she was, Hyunjoong nodded angrily. “Fine,” 
 
 
Hyunjoong slammed the taxi trunk closed and got into the taxi car. As the driver drove off, Hyunjoong looked back to see if Somin was still there but she was already heading inside her home.
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
“Yeah, I’m sorry that I’m not able to come into the office today. I know it’s hectic,” Somin looked over the papers she had on her desk as her cell phone was pressed against her ear. She was talking to one of her secretaries. “Right, I should be back on Monday. Okay, thank you.”
 
 
Somin placed her cell phone on the desk as she sighed at the mess in front of her. Somin hadn’t been able to go in at work for the past few days because of the paparazzi waiting outside for her. They had resorted to even camping out and Somin just wouldn’t have it. So, she decided to just stay home and try to work from there. So far it had proven her difficult. 
 
 
Suddenly, Somin’s phone began to ring again and thinking it was her secretary she answered it irritatingly, “Hello?”
 
 
“Well what’s got your in a bunch?”
 
 
Somin rolled her eyes. “Hey Jinho, what’s up?”
 
 
“I just called to let you know that Yoomi is being discharged this afternoon. I want you to come.”
 
 
As Somin processed what Jinho had said, she felt skeptical. “Are you sure?”
 
 
It was silent for a moment before he said, “I’m sure.” 
 
 
She scoffed. “You’re bluffing.”
 
 
“Just come, please!” yelled Jinho.
 
 
She shook her head as she gave in. “Alright, alright.” 
 
 
“Be here at 1!”
 
 
...........................................
 
 
Somin placed her hands in her black leather jacket as she waited outside for Jinho and Yoomi to arrive. She looked down at her feet as she wondered what Yoomi would say once she saw Somin standing at the entrance of the hospital waiting for her. Would it be heart warming or awkward? They hadn’t talked since she told Somin to get out and stop visiting her at the hospital. But according to Jinho, it was all behind her now.
 
 
Somin watched as the hospital’s automatic doors opened and out walked Jinho pushing Yoomi in a wheel chair. He was holding her things and once upon spotting Somin, began walking towards her. 
 
 
Somin laid eyes on Yoomi. She had gotten better, with a fuller face and that small sparkle returned in her eyes. Her body was still frail but over all, she seemed to be doing well.  
 
 
“Hey Somin, thanks for coming.” Jinho nodded his head down at Yoomi, telling her to talk. 
 
 
“It’s no big deal,” replied Somin. She looked down at Yoomi who was looking up at her. “How are you Yoomi?”
 
 
“I’m good,” She replied. She reached for Somin’s hand to hold. “I’m really sorry,”
 
 
Somin took Yoomi’s hand with a smile. “It’s okay but Yang Yoomi is you ever feel that way, you’ll have to tell me.”
 
 
“I know and I didn’t mean any of it.”
 
 
Somin squeezed her hand. “I understand.”
 
 
Jinho clapped his hands together. “Now that we’re all fine and dandy, how about we get some lunch?”
 
 
They laughed. Somin nodded her head towards her car. “Let’s go, we have so much to catch up on.”
 
 
“You mean Kim Hyunjoong?!” shouted Yoomi and Jinho excitedly at the same time.
 
 
“How do you know?!” exclaimed Somin.
 
 
“Honey,” said Yoomi turning to Jinho. “Can you reach into my bag and get the newspaper?”
 
 
Jinho did as he was told and handed Somin the newspaper. The headlines read, “Children of Two Major Businesses In Seoul Become The New Hottest Rumored Couple of 2011.”
 
 
“Oh god…” whispered Somin. She looked back at the two of them. “I meant to tell you guys but I didn’t think the newspapers would be this fast.”
 
 
“And that’s why we’re having lunch,” replied Jinho.
 
 
They hopped into Somin’s car and drove off to a restaurant to have a long awaited lunch. 
 
 
Switch~...//...//...
 
 
“I suggest you conduct an interview to validate your relationship with Somin.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong looked at his assistant with a small smile on his face. “That’s actually not a bad idea. How would it go?”
 
 
“Well,” She started. “I could call in a few news programs in the morning or we could do a conference but I doubt you’d want to make a big deal.” 
 
 
Hyunjoong nodded. “You’re right. I just want to let it all out without creating a fuss. I’ll talk to Somin first and then if she agrees I’ll give you the go to schedule a television appearance.”
 
 
His assistant stood up. “Do you have any preferred shows in mind?”
 
 
He shook his head. “Anything is fine,” 
 
 
His assistant excused himself and left the room. 
 
 
Hyunjoong leaned back into his chair with his arms crossed. His assistant had a really good idea going. It would knock out any rumors and Hyunjoong would be finally free enough to be with Somin. The final matter would be to talk to their parents. But that was for another time.
 
 
He grabbed his car keys and jacket and headed out the office door. As Hyunjoong got into the car, he quickly dialed Somin’s number and called. 
 
 
She answered. “Hey,”
 
 
“Hey, where are you right now?”
 
 
“I’m in the office,” replied Somin. “Where are you?”
 
 
“I’m at work, did you have lunch?” asked Hyunjoong.
 
 
“Yeah I did…with Yoomi. I have a lot to tell you about. I'm actually at the office. The paparazzi died down a bit when I came out of lunch. What's that noise? Are you going somewhere? Are you in the car?”
 
 
“Yeah yeah yeah,” said Hyunjoong as he sped through the roads with his windows rolled down. “I’m coming to your office right now.”
 
 
“My office? What for?!”
 
 
And Hyunjoong began to explain everything about his plan. At the end, Hyunjoong pulled into the valet parking at Somin’s work just as she had agreed. He ran to the elevators and waited impatiently until the doors dinged open to her floor. He greeted hello to her secretaries and entered her office. 
 
 
Somin stood up and put her finger to her lips. He quietly closed the door behind him. 
 
 
“Do you think this interview will really work?” said Somin as she walked up to him. “Everyone has seen the newspapers these paparazzi have put up and I’m tired of it.”
 
 
“Somin, it’s going to work, what better way to announce it than having the person who’s in the relationship?” Hyunjoong put his arms around her and embraced her into a hug. “It’s been some time since we’ve hung out.”
 
 
He felt her put her arms around him tighter. “Well who’s fault is that?”
 
 
Hyunjoong laughed. “You don’t think it’s my fault is it?!”
 
 
Somin nodded. “I think it is.” 
 
 
“Well whatever,” replied Hyunjoong whispering into her ear. “I’ll fix it.”