Chapter 15

Follow Your Heart -R E W R I T E- COMPLETED

“Morning love,” Daniel said first thing he saw me.

“Morning, bear,” I replied but frown when I see his pale face. Did he sick? For 2 weeks straight, he shows up with a pale face.

“Daniel, are you okay? You look so sick and pale again.” I said and touched his face. He took my hand that rests on his cheeks before grip it.

“I’m okay love. Just little tired.” He told me and guides me to his car and started the ride to school. We were sitting in comfortable silence. Daniel smiled while looking at me. Man, how I love his smile. He parked and we got out.

“Thank you bears, for always come and get me every morning,” I said and tiptoed to kiss he lips. Daniel holds my waist and accepts the kiss.

“Anything for you, love.” He smiles but his smile didn’t reach his eyes like always.

He has been more distant lately and he keeps daydreaming. The first time I seeing him like this, I just ignore it thinking he was tired. I try to ask him, but he always replies with ‘I’m fine.’

“Daniel, look, I pack you a lunch.” I hold up the lunch box and grind widely. “I made your favorite.”

Daniel glances at the lunch box for a second before taking it. “I’m not hungry.” He said. Sunggyu and Woohyun eyeing him worriedly.

“Are you okay dude?” Woohyun ask his cousin who just nod and drink his water.

I frown. “Maybe you should skip school today and-“

“I’m fine.” He repeats firmly.

I blink twice and grin. ‘Maybe he just tired with our class project.’

I just keep talking to Daniel about my weekend, where I spend at my grandparent’s house for a day but my smiles slip when I realize he didn’t pay attention.

“You’re so loud, Sungyeol.” I wince when I hear his harsh word, he stands up ready to leave.

“W- Wait! Daniel, don’t leave.” I shout. I stand up abruptly, drop my chopstick. I rushed over to Daniel’s side, brow furrowed in worry. “I- I am really sorry. I don’t know what I did wrong.”

“You’re annoying.”

-

It’s been 2 weeks seen I last saw Daniel. He stops coming to school or my house. Even when I go to his house, he's never there. I don’t know how it happens, since when and suddenly our relationship feels distant.

What happen?

How?

Why?

These entire questions I wanted to ask Daniel, but I can’t because he seems like avoiding me. I tried to call, but either he hung up or never pick up.

Suddenly this morning I’ve got a call from Daniel and he asks to meet up at the park near my house. I agree because obviously, I miss him like crazy right now. I got ready in no time and step out of my house. I just take about 5 minutes to walk. I didn't have to wait that long before I see Daniel. He stands straight in front of me. I smiled at him but- he does not smile back at me. What happen? Why do I feel- scared suddenly?

“Let’s break up.” He said.

I looked at him straight in the eyes, into the brown orbs that I love so much. They held hurt, sadness, and regret. Tears clouded my sight as I tried my best to blink them away. He looked as if he was in pain, his handsome and lovely face scrunched up in agony. Even though his face is pale, but he still handsome to me. I didn’t understand because he was the one who was calling it off. He stepped closer to me, his hand gently cupping my face, lightly.

“Sungyeol, it would be- “he stopped then continues again. “It would be better if we stayed as friends for now- ”

“Why Daniel, I don’t understand- ” I trailed off, tears now flowing down my cheeks. “We were so good together.” I felt hurt, heartbroken, pain, anger but what I hated the most was that I really fell in love with this boy.

“It would be better- ” he said looking at me, emotionless.

It broke my heart even more. He leaned and kissed both my wet cheeks. I did not want to pull away; I just wanted things to be the same as it was 2 weeks ago when we were playing around.

“Why Daniel- just tell me why?” I begged and with that, he stepped away and walked backward and stopped.

“Because I never love you- it’s all lies. When we together it was all lies.” And his figure was becoming farther and farther away from me, my heart breaking more and more by his steps. I stared at him until I couldn't see his body anymore, a sob crashed out of my throat as I fell to my knees, tears streaming down my cheeks.

-

After what happened yesterday, everything started going downhill. I miss Daniel badly and I'm scared. Why he leave me? Did I do something wrong to hurt his feeling? I don’t believe it when he said our love is lies or he doesn’t love me. I could never fall asleep at night without crying my eyes out for half an hour unless I had my mom by my side.

With every passing day, things only got harder. Daniel keeps avoiding me and Myungsoo keep bugging me. Today I can’t take it anymore. I need to see Daniel. I need his explanation. I need to know why. So I make my way to his house.

Something was weighing on my chest, though. It seems like 5 minutes I wait and the door is open by Daniel’s mom. She smiled at me and welcomes me with a pitiful face.

“Sungyeol-ah comes inside. I will call Daniel for you.” Mrs. Chae goes upstairs’ and calls for Daniel.

“Sungyeol, What are you doing here?” asked Daniel.

“Daniel, bear-  we need to talk.” I began, looking at him.

"There's nothing to talk about Yeol. We’re done. “Daniel said with an unreadable look on his face.

“Daniel. Please don’t do this to me, you promise me, Daniel. You promise that you will never leave me. You promise you will love me until your last breath. But now, you leave me. Where's your promise, Daniel? WHERE!!!” I scream, bawling my eyes out.

“Sung- Sungyeol-“ Daniel doesn't know what to say.

“Where's your promise, Daniel? I love you; I love you so much it hurts.”

“Promises are meant to be broken Yeol. Please go home now. We’re done.” Daniel said without looking at me.

“You're cruel. I hate you.” With that last word, I run from his house. Those words hurt me beyond belief.

 

DANIEL POV

“Son- why did you lie?” my mom said.

“I didn’t mom. I was just being honest.” I said and look out of the window.

“Don’t lie to your mom Daniel. You love him, don’t you?”

“There’s no such thing. I don’t love him.” I said.

“Daniel, why did you have to lie? You love Sungyeol so much; I can see it in your eyes. I’m your mother, you can’t lie to me. ” My mom said firmly.

“Yes, mom. I love him. I love him so much, but what can I do mom, I'm not strong enough. I'm weak, my heart is a weak mom." I broke down in front of my mom. My mom just hugs me and calmed me down.

“So what do you want me to do? Tell him the truth?” I paused and I look at my mom before continuing.

“Even you can’t face the truth after knowing everything. How will he bear it mom? What do I do mom? What do I say?” I broke down once again. I just want to be happy. But why did all this have to happen?

Why now?

“How do I say that for the first time this heart is beating for someone,” I said and pointed at my heart. “Is breathing someone’s name, for the first time this heart has loved someone” I let go of everything that my heart wanted to say, for the first time.

“How do I say, Sungyeol the love from this heart for you is very strong, but the heart itself is very weak.” I keep smacking my chest, my mom trying to stop me and hold me. Crying with me.

“Everything will be alright son. I’m telling you everything will be alright.” My mom hushed me.

“I love him, mom.”

“I know son.”

“I love him so much, mom. I love him.” I was wailing hardly, clingy tightly around my mom.

“I promise to never hurt him, but in the end, he was hurting.”

“You have a reason, he understands.”

“He won’t”

----------------------------

Some scene was inspired by movie from kal ho na ho