Five

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don't panic. I kept repeating those two words inside my head.

The paper Baekhyun had given me almost made me drop my guard and lose my cool. I kept worrying if I had blown our cover and he already knew who we really were. But actually, the words that he had written didn't exactly mean something. What if he had just been bluffing? He was indeed a boy with a rotten behavior. But, there's also a possibility that it wasn't a bluff. Whatever it was, I wouldn't know without having a proper talk with him and ask what he's up to.

I ripped a piece of paper from my notebook and scribbled on it.

Break time. At the park.

After folding the paper, I quickly dropped it on the desk behind me without looking back. I didn't want to make another eye contact with him, because this time I was sure that he would recognize the uneasiness on my face. If he had really found out who we were, then he had a very good sense. I'd better be careful.

Thank goodness, Taehyung didn't seem to realize what was going on. I didn't think I needed to tell him about this until I made sure of what Baekhyun knew. Not that I intended to hide something from him, but I just didn't want to make him worry for nothing, if Baekhyun was only deceiving me. I could only hope that Taehyung wouldn't notice my unease. It seemed pointless, though. He could read my mind anyway.

 

"I didn't think you would come," I said when I saw Baekhyun approaching me.

We were now standing in the middle of the school park, near the huge statue of Aphrodite, goddess of love. The park was much bigger than I had expected. This was the first time I came to this park. I just randomly scribbled at the park earlier because I couldn't think of another place. And I didn't know why, but there were many students circling us, watching us closely, although they weren't close enough to hear anything we said. They looked like they were anticipating something from us. Wait, is this supposed to be a famous romantic place or something like that? Is that the reason why the goddess of love is here? Oh my God, did I just choose the wrong place? Okay, let's just ignore them and get it over with.

"What? Do you want to confess?" Baekhyun looked bored. It seemed like he went through this a lot, being called by a girl here and forced to hear her love confession. Of course, I wasn't one of that girls. I didn't like the way he judged people without thinking much. As expected from him, being mannerless was his specialty. And afterall, everyone in our class knew that Taehyung was my boyfriend. Obviously, I didn't come here to confess.

"Sorry to disappoint you. As you know, I already have a boyfriend. I'm here to talk about the paper you gave me," I said, ignoring his rude words. "Just spit it out."

"Oh, that? It's obvious that you're not just an ordinary transfer student. You smelled like my father."

"What do you mean?"

"When you got back at the first period, you smelled like my father's disgusting perfume. Which means, you went to meet him. And no student has ever met the CEO, except me obviously."

Indeed, he was suspicious of me. But, he still didn't know who I really was. That's a relief. "I don't know what you're talking about. I was just taken into some kind of a meeting room. Maybe your father's perfume is lingering there," I lied.

"Maybe," Baekhyun said, but he totally wasn't convinced of my lie. He stepped a few steps forward until our faces were only inches apart and made me gulp nervously. "Whatever you're hiding, I will find it out. I'll be watching you."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I acted tough and stood at my current position sternly.

"Really?" Baekhyun leaned in closer to my face until I could feel his warm breath brushing my nose. "Also. You and Taehyung. I don't believe that you're lovers."

I was speechless. Nothing I could say to reply his statement. Standing as still as a statue, I watched him walk away from me without looking back. The crowd started to disperse. They seemed disappointed, maybe the spectacle wasn't as they expected. The only one stayed behind was Taehyung, who looked at me anxiously. I owed him an explanation.

I approached Taehyung. "I'm sorry," I said while looking down. The feeling was awful as if I had been found stealing other's wallet. I felt guilty because I didn't tell him anything about this and we promised not to keep secrets between each other. I had broken that promise.

"It's okay." Taehyung smiled and patted my head. I looked up, meeting his eyes. All I could see was his worried face and warm gaze. It seemed like he tried to cheer me up. Did that mean he already knew? He just kept silent and waited for me to tell him?

I rested my head on his chest, gripping his coat with my hands. My body began to shake terribly and I started sobbing. "He's suspicious of us. I just blew our cover. I'm a failure. I'm sorry," I said between my tears.

He wrapped his arms around me. "Don't worry. It's not your fault."

I met his eyes again. "But-"

"Shh," he interrupted me and wiped my tears with his thumb. "You can explain later." He took off his coat and draped it over my shoulders. "You always forget your coat."

I just realized that I had left my coat at class and come outside. That's why I had been feeling cold since earlier. "But,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter