Sixteen

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"No one is allowed to leave the building!" Taehyung screamed boisterously, holding up his hand to warn them that this situation was serious. His stern look and police badge were intimidating enough to make them freeze in their position. Luckily, they cooperated and got back to their seats in orderly manner. Some of them were deeply terrified, and some of the others were obviously irritated that they were stuck in this unfortunate event. The restaurant was fully packed since it's Saturday. Unluckily for us, that would make narrowing down the suspects much harder.

While Taehyung were organizing the crowd, I crouched down alongside the man lying down on the floor. I touched his neck, attempting to find his pulse even if I knew that he was no longer breathing. I just did it to confirm his death. As expected, I couldn't find his pulse and instead, I smelled an almond fragrant from him when I inclined closer. That could only mean one thing.

"Detective Kim!" It had been a long time since I addressed him with the right title that it left a weird taste in my mouth. "Call for reinforcements! It's a murder by poisoning! And seal the building!"

"Right on it!" he shouted by the entrance of the restaurant, blocking the way so no one could escape. He took his cellphone from his pocket and dialed a number which must have been Inspector Kim's.

When I was scanning my surroundings, I caught a girl crying right in front of me, crouching next to the body from the opposite side. She looked so miserable that I thought she must have been his girlfriend. When she reached out her hand to touch his cheeks, I halted her in midair. She looked at me in denial, demanding for explanation. I searched my brain for decent words that wouldn't offend her.

"I'm sorry for your lost, but you're not allowed to touch the body while it's still being investigated," I said as polite as possible.

A middle-aged couple approached us. I guessed they were the parents of the victim or the girl because I saw them sitting at the same table earlier. It looked like they were having a family lunch which ended up as a horrible disaster. The mother walked closer to the girl and hugged her, crying along with her.

The father came to me and asked in despair, "What happened to our son?"

"Poisoning," I answered, noting the fact that the couple was the victim's parents. "We'll be able to know the details after the forensic team arrives. I hope you'll cooperate with us in our investigation to find the suspect."

"You mean someone killed him?" he asked in disbelief.

I nodded. "Yes, I'm afraid so."

"Detective Lee!" I heard someone called me and I turned to find the source of the sound. My eyes caught Detective Jeon coming out from the kitchen.

"Detective Jeon!" I called back. "We need your help!"

He walked towards me, still wearing his kitchen uniform. His eyes moved from the customers to the man lying down lifelessly next to me. A hint of confusion showed in his expression. "What's going on?"

"A murder by poisoning, possibly by ammonium cyanide considering the almond fragrant from the body."

He looked even more perplexed. "Detective Lee, I'm in the kidnapping division. I'm certainly not capable to help you in any way."

Geez. How could I forget that? Being assigned in the same team for a mission made me lose track of the fact that we're from different division. "Sorry, Detective Jeon. I mean, can you please watch the family and the body for a while? So that they won't do anything suspicious and ruin the crime scene? I need to get back to my friends, explaining the situation."

"Of course, leave that to me."

After thanking Detective Jeon for his help, I went back to my table where Baekhyun, Jimin, and Joohyun were waiting for us. Since Taehyung couldn't leave his spot, I supposed at least I had to tell them something. They deserved that much.

"Sorry, guys. You won't be able to leave here," I said as I took my seat, gulping my drink. "Maybe until we can find the suspect."

"Take your time." Baekhyun leaned back on his chair, not looking anxious at all.

"Seriously, Baekhyun?" Jimin almost shouted, losing his cool. "She's a freaking cop!"

"So, you're not a student, Hyerin?" Joohyun asked me, partly in disbelief and partly confused.

I nodded, feeling guilty that I had been deceiving them the whole time. "Sorry, Joohyun. I'll explain everything later. I have to go back to work. Wait for us here."

Just in time, the reinforcements arrived. The police together with the forensic team stomped into the restaurant. I jogged back to where the victim lying down lifelessly. Taehyung walked along with them and we ended up circling the body. A few police officers stood guard by the entrance and a few others put up the yellow police tape around the restaurant that said 'Police Line Do Not Cross' as a warning that an investigation was on going. Meanwhile, the forensic team started taking photos and searching for every clue they could find from the deceased.

"Detective Lee, tell me the details," Inspector Kim demanded.

I told him how the incident happened while we're eating, not leaving a single detail. From when we heard the scream until when the reinforcement got here. Inspector Ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter