Two

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You know him?" Taehyung's question pulled my attention away from the photo. I didn't realize he was looking at my expression closely, waiting for me to tell if I recognized the son or not. And from the way he looked at me, I knew my expression changed after I saw Baekhyun.

"The rich brat from the coffee shop," I answered, thinking it's no use to keep something from my childhood friend. He would certainly know if I tried to hide anything.

"You met him?" Superintendent Oh asked. There's a hint of discontented expression on his face. I got the feeling that it would have been better if I hadn't met him.

"Yes, Sir. I coincidentally met him at the airport. But, I'm sure he didn't even see me."

"Good. I want both of you to infiltrate his school as fellow high school students. It's an undercover mission, so it will be better if no one knows who you are, including Baekhyun himself. Your secret can't be revealed. And I'm sure you know very well why."

"To prevent alerting the kidnappers about our plan to interfere their kidnapping. It'll be harder for us if they have their guard up," I said, agreeing with the police chief.

"That's why you said we're the most suitable for this mission. It's because of our age. We can easily disguise as high school students without attracting attention." Taehyung finally realized why we're needed for this duty.

"Exactly." Superintendent Oh looked satisfied. "You'll be backed up by two other police. No need to worry."

"What do you mean?"

"Fortunately, the school is owned by Byun Group, so it's easier for us to infiltrate. Inspector Kim Seokjin will disguise as one of the teachers. Detective Do Kyungsoo will also help."

The latter was unfamiliar. I'd never heard about this police detective. "Who is Detective Do?"

"Ah, you were in New York when I recruited him. He's a police detective from homicide division, like both of you. When I was searching for a police detective to help you in the undercover mission, he volunteered."

He volunteered? Somehow it didn't feel right. Something was suspicious about that new guy. He appeared from nowhere and suddenly joined the mission, as if it had been his main purpose since the first time he had joined the force. I needed to be careful around him.

Superintendent Oh gave us another file. This one had nothing written on its cover. "Your new identities. I also put your apartment key cards and car key in. CEO Byun made his son live in an apartment for safety purpose. He thinks the only reason the kidnappers want to kidnap Baekhyun is because of him, so he wants his child to be away from him. That's why he lent us the apartments next to Baekhyun's. He wants his son to get 24-hour protection from the police."

"Don't tell me the apartment building and the car are his too," Taehyung said.

"If those are not his, then how did I get my hands on them?"

Taehyung shook his head in amazement. "Is it possible for someone to be that rich?"

Superintendent Oh ignored him and continued explaining. "Everything you need is already provided in the apartment. You can check it by yourselves later. If you need something else, you can just tell me. I need to go back to the investigation of the kidnappers."

"Our luggages?" I asked, suddenly remembered about our belongings.

"I asked the driver to put them at your apartments."

"We'll be going then," I said and bowed. Taehyung did the same.

"I'll call you if we know something."

We took our leave from the superintendent's office, heading straight to the basement level by elevator. As I thought, the car that we're going to use had been placed there. It's freshly bought from the store. A brand new black Porsche sport car was staring at us from where it's parked. CEO Byun was generous to let us use this amazing car.

"Whoa!" Taehyung shouted happily. "I'll drive."

We both got our driving licenses early this year. Inspector Kim told us to take the driving license exam right after our birthdays. He said being able to drive would help with our investigation. Our birthdays were only two weeks apart with him being older than me. Mine was March 15th and his was March 1st. So by now, the end of the year, we had quite many driving experiences. Although, he loved driving so much that I rarely had the chance to drive when I was with him.

Taehyung took the car key from the file and rushed to the driver's seat. I laughed, watching him excited at the new thing. Sport cars had always been his favorite. I remembered seeing dozens of sport car miniatures at his room back in the headquarters. He's like a kid that was taken to an amusement park. He couldn't stop grinning widely since we spotted the car. I took the only seat left, the passenger seat beside him. The interior of the car impressed me even more. Suddenly I could understand why he loved sport cars that much. Obviously, it's far better than our usual patrol cars.

"Here we go." Taehyung started the engine and the car sped away from the headquarters in an incredible speed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter