Nineteen

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung scoffed at Baekhyun's request. "You? Want to have a talk with me?"

Baekhyun didn't answer, which left Taehyung in disbelief of his seriousness. Both of them were sitting under the dim light, saying nothing for a few minutes. I cringed at the awkward air around them, hoping they would start talking soon since the curiosity killed me. I leaned closer to my laptop, trying to get a better view of them despite the darkness of the footage.

"Fine then," Taehyung said finally after the uncomfortable silence. "What do you want to talk about?"

"You know very well what I want to talk about." Baekhyun twisted the words, making me even more curious. And I found myself holding back the urge to barge into the apartment to ask them myself.

Taehyung sighed. "Her?" he guessed. It's hard to look in the dark but I could faintly see his expression turned grim. 

Surprisingly, Baekhyun nodded, telling that he understood who Taehyung meant with 'her'. "I know it's a disguise."

Folding his arms, Taehyung leaned back on the couch. "So?"

"You're a good friend, but I want to declare a war. I'll fight you fair and square."

Taehyung laughed bitterly. "For what? You've won this fight. Since the very beginning."

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun frowned.

"You're the one she wants, not me."

"Don't get me the wrong idea by getting my hopes up with a reassuring lie."

"Believe me. I've been living with her for more than ten years. I know her more than I know myself."

"Even so, you're okay with it?"

"What can I do? The only thing I want is her happiness. Which means, I won't interfere with her love life if I'm not the one she's in love with."

"Then, you're rooting for me?"

Taehyung pointed his finger towards Baekhyun as a warning. "I won't let you hurt her."

"So, you're rooting for me as long as I don't hurt her?" 

Taehyung snorted as Baekhyun was being stubborn. "Suit yourself."

Baekhyun punched Taehyung's shoulder slightly with excitement. "You know? You're a nice guy. I kinda like you," he said with a cheerful laugh, quite a rare view of him that I almost didn't believe my own eyes. Believing my own ears was even more difficult for me. Was all of this really happening? I didn't realize that I held my breath while watching the footage until I felt the lack of oxygen.

"Sorry, man. I'm not interested in guys," Taehyung teased, a smile lit up his face. "But honestly, you're decent. And yes, it's a compliment."

It always amazed me that boys could be bestfriends in a short time after being rivals. They had looked like they would get into a fight any seconds, but now, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly went out to eat together.

Forget about that, I got my own feelings to think of. From their conversation and Joohyun's statement, I could conclude that the one I liked was Baekhyun, which I didn't know it myself. Being inexperienced in this field really made me confused with a lot of things. I couldn't even recognize my own feelings for someone. It was rather severe. I had hurt the ones involved in my complicated love story.

Taehyung's ringing phone brought me back from my deep thought. He answered the call and his expression became serious. After a few "Yes, Sir", he hung up.

"It's Inspector Kim. He summoned us to the headquarters. There must be something important. I have to wake Hyerin up," Taehyung explained. "Well, I'm off."

Without waiting for Baekhyun to answer him, Taehyung dashed outside and headed to my apartment. I realized a bit late that he's about to come in and wake me up, also the fact that I should have been asleep. Quickly I closed the lid of my laptop and left it on the dining table, then I ran to the couch and lied down on it, pretending to sleep.

The beep sound of him sliding the key card - the extra key card of my apartment that I had given him when we had first moved in - into the machine nearly made me jump. I heard the sound of his footsteps approaching me. I could feel his breath brush my face, which meant he crouched down and leaned closer to see me better. He waited for a few seconds. I guessed he hesitated whether to wake me up or not.

"Hyerin," he called me softly, not wanting to startle me in my sleep.

To make it more natural, I rubbed my eye and hummed, "Hmm?"

"Sorry to wake you up this late. Inspector Kim called. He wants us to be there, in the headquarters. Apparently, there's something he needs to tell us. Do you want to-" he paused. "Nevermind, I'll just go by myself."

When he's about to turn back and leave, I rapidly grabbed his wrist. "I'm going with you."

 

"You haven't told me," I started as soon as we got into the car.

"Huh?" Taehyung asked, his hands gripping the wheel, his foot stepping the gas pedal. The car hit the road, away from the apartment.

"I mean about what you're doing when you weren't home for more than a day."

Fixing his eyes on the road, he answered, "I've told you about that. I was at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter