One

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cool breeze which I breathed in swayed my hair, tickling me as strands of it covered my face. People around me were rushing to enter the building ahead of me while I was standing still between the bustle. It's winter and I was in the airplane field, not even bothering to get into the airport to look for warmth. Everyone would see me as a strange girl but I couldn't care less. There's nothing wrong with feeling the nature after being on the plane for more than fourteen hours. Moreover, when I missed this country a lot. Being overseas for a month made me feel homesick.

It's good to be home. I smiled.

Someone draped a coat over my shoulders and brought me back from my thoughts. A quick glance at the white coat told me it was familiar. It was mine. I looked back to see who that was, despite knowing very well the only person who would have done that.

"Careless girl who left her own coat on the plane." Taehyung shook his head. "What can you do without me?"

"Thanks, Taehyung. What can I do without you?" I rolled my eyes at his ridiculous question. He had been nagging about this since forever. But, I admitted it wasn't totally wrong.

Kim Taehyung was my best friend, probably the only friend I had, the only friend that I could fully trust. We practically had been together since we were very young, at about eight if I didn't remember it wrong. Our first meeting was at the police headquarters, surrounded by dozens of police officers. As if the coincidence wasn't weird enough, our parents were the victims of the same serial murder case that happened ten years ago. Yeah, that was a freak and scary coincidence. Despite that, we got along well, maybe because we went through the same ill fate together. We both lost our parents in that horrible case. With our own eyes, we witnessed the death of our families.

Ever since that incident, we had been living in the police headquarters, precisely at the spare bedroom which was supposed to be police's rest area. They arranged a homeschooling program for us so we didn't need to go to school. They also offered us the Witness Protection Program, which we agreed on directly. We were so terrified back then and were also kids without families, so we thought that we would be safe under the 24-hour police protection. Unfortunately, the criminals hadn't been caught yet. The psychotic murderers roaming around freely was the reason we were still under protection. And that's also the reason why we became police detectives. They had trained us to be the best, the youngest police detectives ever.

"I'll go get our baggages. Go find Inspector Kim." Taehyung tapped my right shoulder and went past me towards the airport. I didn't realize we were the only ones left in the airplane field.

I quickly tailed him. "Inspector Kim Seokjin? He's the one who picks us up? Why?" This didn't sound right. Inspector Kim never picked us up himself when we came back from working overseas. Our superior usually only sent a police officer for that trivial duty.

Taehyung shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe there's another case he wants us to work on?"

"We just came back from solving a case." I sighed.

"I said maybe. Or perhaps, he misses us?" Taehyung let out a chuckle.

I gave him a light smack on the back of his head. "You wish."

"Ouch," Taehyung yelped, rubbing the source of the pain. "I'll catch up with you later."

With that said, Taehyung went to the opposite direction from me, to the baggage claim area. Meanwhile, I headed towards the exit in the left side. My eyes darted around, looking for Inspector Kim. As I approached the automatic glass door, I spotted him waiting for us, leaning against the wall. He wore his usual work outfit, the stylish gray suit with a long black coat.

"Inspector Kim!" I greeted him when I was close enough for him to hear me. We didn't want the citizens to know we're from the police force and cause useless havoc. They would probably panic if they knew we're police inspector and police detective from Seoul Metropolitan Police Department's homicide division. Of course, we wouldn't let that happen.

"Detective Lee! How was New York?" Inspector Kim held out his hand, offering a handshake. He smiled warmly at me. His smile had always been something that I liked. For a police inspector, he's too gorgeous and too handsome. He's also a single man in his mid-twenties, so I was sure he had many girls craving for him.

I shook his hand and smiled. "It's quite fancy, but no place is better than Seoul."

"Welcome home."

"It's nice to be back. But, is it okay for you to pick us up here? Aren't you busy working?"

Inspector Kim's expression suddenly became serious. "Actually, Superintendent Oh personally ordered me to come get you two. He wants to meet you. Both of you."

If the police chief summoned us then it must have been really serious. "Did he tell you what it is about?"

Inspector Kim shook his head. "Whatever it is, it must be important."

"Obviously."

A coffee shop attracted my eyes as I scanned around for Taehyung. Warm coffee would be perfect on a cold day like this. "I'll get us some coffee."

There were three persons lining up before me. It didn't take long until it's my turn to order. Right when I got to the counter, a boy shoved me away and cut in line. "Hey!" I yelled in annoyance.

He didn't budge, keeping his place which should have been mine. He had a handsome face which made me sure he would have been an idol if he chose to. His appearance was so fashionable and luxurious with his branded leather coat. Sadly, his rotten manner had given me the worst imp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter