Twenty Three

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cold sweats were trickling down to my chin, mixing with blood from my injured head. From the time displayed on the bomb, we approximately had ten minutes left. I tried hard not to panic, but I failed as I was sure my tensed expression on my face was exposing my nervousness. I thought if I panicked, Baekhyun would be more scared. To my surprise, he was really calm as if nothing had happened. Strangely, instead of running away from the bomb as how ordinary people reacted, he approached it to take a closer look.

"They're planning to kill the three of us," he said, still calm. "That's not going to happen. We're lucky. It's an IED. My specialty."

I didn't even understand what he's talking about. "What?"

"Improvised Explosive Device. It's a type of homemade time bomb." He got up and walked towards where the wine bottles were.

I widened my eyes. "How do you know about this?"

"Just think of it as a hobby of mine." He started breaking the bottle and grabbed a shard of the glass before he cursed under his breath. "Damn, these handcuffs are annoying." He looked up to me. "Hello? I need a help here."

I snapped out of my daze. "Hobby? You want to blow something up?" Even if I was still confused, I came to help him anyway. "What are you going to do with this?"

When I was about to touch the shards, he pushed my hands away. "Don't touch it! Go get the blanket!"

Even at times like this, he was still worried about me getting hurt. I went to pick up a blanket and gave it to him. He tried to slice the blanket with the shard to get a small piece of the fabric. It's a hard thing to do while having your hands bound together. So I helped him with holding the blanket while he was cutting.

"So, what are you doing?" I asked again since he didn't answer my previous question.

He rolled his eyes. "Making a knife of course."

"You're going to defuse the bomb?" Unconsciously, I retracted my hands from the blanket out of surprise.

"Hold the blanket. We need to be fast. The time is ticking," he said in a very serious tone that I decided not to ask any questions again.

After cutting the blanket, he asked me to wrap the bottom half of the shard with the fabric - as the handhold of the knife. When we finished making the knife, we rushed back to the time bomb. It showed that we had only five minutes left. I inhaled and exhaled, trying to calm myself down. My heart was beating so fast, the fastest pace ever.

Contrary from me, Baekhyun seemed fine. He crouched down, calmly held the red wire, and started cutting it. I clasped my hands, hoping he wouldn't cut the wrong wire and set it off. Unfortunately, the shard wasn't sharp enough so he had a hard time trying to cut the wire. It wasn't long until I saw his hands bleeding. But he didn't care about the pain and kept cutting it. It took a bit long before finally he succeeded cutting a wire. The second wire was the blue one. He cut it faster than the first one since he put more strength in it. I watched him worriedly as his blood was pooling on the floor. We had only one minute left when we moved on the third and the last wire, the yellow one.

It was too dark to distinguish the yellow and the green ones. He was debating which to choose as he hovered between both wires. He swore in frustration as the time kept ticking.

"I believe in you," I said suddenly. I wanted him to believe in himself so I thought by saying that, he would be confident in his choice.

He smiled to me and used his instinct to choose the yellow one. I really thought I was going to die. I closed my eyes since I was too nervous to see the time.

Seconds passed. Minutes passed. Nothing happened.

I gathered my courage to open my eyes and I saw the time shown on the display was 00:01. It stopped ticking. I couldn't believe it. It's only one second away from explosion. And I was still alive.

"Oh my gosh, you did it, Baekhyun!" I shouted happily and tried to hug him, but since my hands were cuffed, I kissed his cheek instead to show how happy and thankful I was. "Thanks for saving my life. You're amazing."

He looked frozen for a while after I gave a kiss on his cheek. But then, he showed me a grin and the next thing I knew, my lips were touching his. He kissed me on the lips. I widened my eyes in shock. I totally hadn't seen this coming. It's my first kiss.

After our lips met, I sensed the metallic taste of his blood. It made me remember that his lips were injured by the slap. But, it didn't even bother him, judging that he didn't pull back.

I could feel my body temperature was getting higher. My cheeks were getting hot. I was sure my face would look like a tomato right now. No need to mention my heartbeat, it's going even faster than it had been when it's seconds before the explosion.

His kiss was sweet and romantic. The whole world seemed to stop for a while. I didn't even recognize where we were anymore. I could only see the invisible butterflies surrounding us. Weirdly, only by the kiss, I could feel how much he treasured me. How special I was to him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter