Twelve

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The fear that had been overwhelming me for the whole ten years finally emerged again, making me even more terrified than I ever had. This news was supposed to be a good news. The answer of the question that had confused the police force for a long time. This information was supposed to be the best information we could ever get after being in the dark place, knowing nothing. But, I still couldn't accept it that well. My body was trembling hard. I could hardly stand on my own feet. I had to balance myself by leaning against the wall.

From what I witnessed, neither could Taehyung. He froze in place and clenched his fists. His eyes were wavering. I couldn't tell whether he's terribly afraid or greatly excited. What I knew for sure, both of us didn't expect this coming.

We found out the organization that had killed our parents.

"So," Superintendent Oh drew back our attention, "since Shadow has given Detective Lee and Detective Kim a deep scar in their past, I decided to drop them out of this team. Any objections?"

"No way!" Taehyung protested. "Let me in! I can't stand watching them roaming around freely and committing crimes here and there, especially after what they did to our parents!"

Superintendent Oh laughed. "I know you'll say that, Detective Kim."

Then he looked at me, as if he's waiting for me to protest too, following Taehyung. But I simply said, "I'm in."

"If you both decided to join the investigation, I'll accept you. But, your safety is our top priority. We'll protect you, since you're still in the Witness Protection Program. It hasn't passed the statute of limitations yet. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir!" Taehyung and I answered sternly.

Superintendent Oh took a quick glance at his wristwatch. "It's late. You both should go back home. You need to go to school tomorrow, right?"

"Well then, please excuse us." Taehyung made a quick bow and stepped out of the interrogation room.

"Call us after the interrogation ends," I said before I bowed and took my leave.

 

"Taehyung, can you drop me at Byun Hospital?" I asked as we entered our car.

Actually, I wanted to avoid Taehyung for now. I didn't know how to act in front of him, especially after knowing that he liked me. Well, he didn't tell me that directly, but somehow I got that feeling. So, I didn't know whether I had to reply him by confessing my feelings or not. But, I guessed I didn't need to, since he didn't exactly confess to me. And also, I was still confused with my own feelings. I wasn't sure about how I felt for him. It wouldn't be wise if I replied him that I felt the same when I didn't. So, I decided to organize my feelings first.

"What were you doing with Baekhyun earlier?" He didn't answer me. Instead, he asked another question.

I almost forgot that he caught us at a very embarrassing moment back in the hospital room. I couldn't hide my blush, so I looked away. "Nothing." I didn't know how to explain either. He didn't like me getting close to Baekhyun. What actually happened was I asked Baekhyun's phone number. Surely that would upset Taehyung. So, I decided that wasn't something important to tell.

I was sure that Taehyung caught me lying and he would pester me, demanding answer. However, it was totally the opposite. He didn't say anything and accepted my answer. He always knew when I lied. It felt weird. It seemed like I didn't know him that well anymore. He seemed distant and unfamiliar.

After a moment of complete silence, which never happened before when we were together, Taehyung suddenly said, "I'll drop you at the hospital."

I couldn't say anthing besides "thanks". And the silence continued until we arrived at Byun Hospital. I got off the car and he drove away almost instantly without saying goodbye.  At that moment, I knew Taehyung was angry. He had never been that cold to me.

I dashed  to the VIP section and went into Baekhyun's room, ignoring the police officers greeting me outside.

Baekhyun was there on his bed, looking bored. "What took you so long?"

Ignoring Baekhyun, I bursted into tears as soon as I got inside. My legs failed me and I slid down to sit on the floor, leaning against the door. I cried my heart out, sobbing like I never did before. In fact, I didn't know why I cried. Maybe it's because I was in shock with Taehyung's cold behavior to me. He had never treated me like that since I knew him. Had I disappointed him? Did he hate me? I didn't want to lose him. He's the best friend I ever had.

A box of tissue was shoved into my face. I looked to my side and Baekhyun was there, sitting on the floor next to me. When did he come here? He must have walked to me earlier when I had come in, dragging his IV drip stand with him. His other hand was holding the tissue box.

"How long are you intending to make me hold this tissue?" Ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter