Twenty Four

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Thank goodness, you all survived. You guys took so long that I decided to come here and check up on you." Seokjin paused when his eyes found Detective Do. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Long story. Look, we need to get out of here first." Detective Do cocked his head towards the unconscious boy beside him - Taehyung. "Or he won't survive."

Seokjin looked surprise when his eyes landed on Taehyung. It seemed that he hadn't realized he's here with us. His expression turned to worry all of sudden.

"Get to the car!" Seokjin ran ahead of us, gesturing us to follow him.

Even though I was exhausted, I tried my best to run. Taehyung needed treatment fast. While I was passing lots of boxes, a knife slashed my left arm, making me halt my movement due to the extreme pain. Blood streamed down from the wound, dropping to the ground. I held my injured arm to check how bad it was. But, it hurt so much that I kept wincing and whimpering.

The culprit was about to hit my face when my reflex helped me to dodge. There's no end to this. There were still so many of them. We were badly outnumbered. I observed the man in front of me. He was ready to attack again with his knife. We had no time for this. Taehyung was dying. I was thinking to finish this fight quickly when I realized I couldn't. My head was throbbing that I couldn't even stand firmly. I was in no condition for a combat at this stance.

When I was in doubt, Seokjin came to my side and gave me the car key. "The chopper is ready by the Han River. Just go straight from here. I'll take care of this," he said in a rush.

I was going to argue that it's dangerous and he's outnumbered, but I knew this was the only choice we had. "Thanks a lot, Seokjin. Be safe."

The four of us left the abandoned factory, leaving Seokjin to head towards the car. I took the driver's seat since the three of them needed to lay Taehyung down on the back seat. Luckily, my left arm was the one injured so I still could drive the car with my right hand. As soon as I started the car engine, I sped straight to the bank of Han River. I could see the helicopter which was parked there.

Detective Jeon was already waiting beside the chopper. When he spotted us getting off the car, he called a few of the medics to help us move Taehyung to the stretcher. They quickly took him to the helicopter. Detective Jeon and I followed behind them.

I stopped Baekhyun before he got on the chopper, giving him my guns. "Go help Seokjin!"

"But-", he protested.

I yelled, cutting his words, "Now!"

I must have been crazy. I just shouted at my own boyfriend. He looked hurt as he closed the chopper door and walked towards the car together with Detective Do. I didn't even glance at him when the chopper took off. But, I couldn't care less about that right now. My gaze was fixed on the unconscious boy before me. My mind was full of him. I held his hand and kept praying for his safety.

He was my best friend. No. He's even more than that. He's a family, the only family I had left. He was the most important person to me.

We landed on the rooftop of Byun Hospital in less than five minutes. A hospital bed was already there along with a few nurses. Together they moved Taehyung from the stretcher to the bed and rushed to the elevator. They brought him to the emergency room directly. A doctor followed right behind them.  I shook my head when a nurse offered to treat my injured head and arm. After the rush, Detective Jeon and I were left waiting outside the emergency room. 

"Mind telling me what happened?" Detective Jeon asked me cautiously, as if a word from him could make me break down into tears.

I took a deep breath before I started telling everything, since we had arrived there in the first place. At the mention of Inspector Jung, his eyes widened in disbelief. She was his superior afterall. I would have been shocked too if Seokjin had betrayed us. Even so, he kept quiet and prompted me to continue the story. He didn't know Detective Do well so he showed no reaction when I told him he was a double agent, which still was a surprising news for me.

"He'll be okay," Detective Jeon reassured me. I didn't realize I was staring intensely at the doors the whole time until he said that.

I replied him with a smile. "Thanks for staying with me."

There was a few minutes of awkward silence before he broke the quietness.

"He loves you a lot, you know," he said suddenly.

"Huh?" I frowned, unable to understand what he was talking about.

He chuckled. "I saw it from the first time we met. His eyes were telling me 'Stay away from her'. I must admit, I was afraid back then."

"Oh, that? I don't know. He never tells me." I knew he tried to strike a conversation with me, but why about this? It made me feel guilty that I actually had a boyfriend now and my boyfriend was not Taehyung.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter