C H A P T E R N I N E

WHY WE CAN'T LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Check out the trailer in the story description!!

*three hours before*

“You need to make it public. If the public knows, its official.” Min Young’s mom said taking a sip from her iced tea and looking up at Yoon Jae smiling.

“Mrs. Park I-“

“Please, call me mother-in-law. Next month around this time, you will be my son-in-law anyways.”

“Mother.” In started but stopped to clear his throat. “Mother-in-law, I don’t think Min Young would approve of this. She clearly has not feelings for me and I don’t have any for her either.”

“Your mother told me something interesting.” Min Young’s mother grinned slyly. “As long as you get married, she will get off your back. She will give you your shares in the hospital and stop controlling your life. Don’t you think this is a win-win situation? Min Young is pretty and also has a share in the family’s companies. If you marry her, you will not only have a beautiful bride by your side, your mother will leave you alone and you will also have shares from your family and mine.”

Yoon Jae leaned back in his chair sighing heavily as he put more thought into it. He wasn’t interested in Min Young’s money. He just wanted freedom from his mother. “How do you suppose I make it public?” She arched an eye brow at him as her lips curved into a smirk.

“A kiss will seal the deal.”

*three hours later*

“Min Young.” He said again and this time, she was silently waiting to hear what he had to say. “I am sorry.” He whispered grabbing the back of her head with one hand and her wrist with another, pulling her closer to him. So close, their noses touched and their lips were inches away from brushing against each other. He shut his eyes and puckered his lips. Min Young’s eyes widened in shock. She placed her hands firmly on his chest and pushed herself away from him. “What are you doing?” she shouted making him open his eyes. “Min Young.” He said as she ripped her hand away from his.

“Have you gone mad? Did you hit your head somewhere?” she asked taking steps away from him. Her face was red and her blood was literally boiling in anger. They were now getting the attention from the people standing on the streets around them. “Who put you up to this?” she asked bitterly. “Was is my mother?” she asked with a pained expression. “You haven’t even been here long but you are already manipulated by my mom?” she asked with disbelief in her voice.

“Min Young! You don’t understand!” Yoon Jae said reaching his hand out to her.

“What do I not understand?” She asked through gritted teeth. “I already said no! I thought we agreed to stay friends. Why are you doing this now?” she asked balling her fists.

“Because WE ARE GETTING MARRIED NEXT MONTH.” he shouted and the people around them gasped and wore shocked expressions but none of them beat Min Young’s.

“What?” she asked as she felt collapsing. It seemed harder to breathe for her and her hands were shaking on her sides.

“Our parents have already set the plans in motion. Next month, around this time, you will be by my side. And I know it sounds selfish but I need this wedding to take place.”

“I am not marrying you, ever!” She said gritting her teeth angrily. She turned around, pushing people out of her way, she walked away, stomping her feet. She walked through the crowds, fighting back tears. She was going home. She wanted to be alone. She stopped a taxi and quickly got in, slamming the door shut and giving him directions.

Min Young looked out the window as the car started moving again. ‘You might as well say goodbye to your brother forever’ She remembered her mother’s words. She knew if she refused to go through with the marriage, her mother will not only threaten her with her brother but with something else that she loved. Maybe her love for dancing. She knew with the right determination, her mother could make sure she never worked with any dance studio in Korea. She or rather the money she had was that powerful. She was always a submissive to her mother. If her mother really wanted something to happen, she would use threats and get Min Young to do what she wanted her to do. Min Young would of course rebel but her rebellions would only last until her mother pulled out a powerful card against her. Her lips quivered as the tears in her eyes started to spill, running down her red cheeks, down her chin and onto her lap.

When she got to her apartment, she quickly put in the password and the door clicked open. She got in and shut the door, quickly running to her room, she pulled out a suitcase and duffel bag. If she couldn’t get out from under her mother’s thumb, she was ready to run away. She slid the door open to her closet and grabbed a handful of clothes from their hangers and threw them into her suitcase as she shouted in frustration.

‘WE ARE GETTING MARRIED NEXT MONTH. Our parents have already set the plans in motion. Next month, around this time, you will be by my side.’ His words ringing in her ears. She put her hands over her ears as her knees bent under her and she fell to the ground. Tears were flowing down her face like never ending rivers. She screamed and cried, yanking at her hair. She didn’t want this. Deep down, the idea of marrying someone she didn’t love completely sickened her. She hated it. She hated having to bend to that woman. She hated that woman so much it killed her. She was just trying to get rid of her.

She heard the beeping sound of her apartment’s password being put in. When the door click open, she knew it could only be one person, her brother. She stayed down on the ground, curled up into a ball crying and sobbing. “Min Young!” he called from her living room but she didn’t move. She just stayed there, crying. “Min Young!” he called, his voice getting closer. When he got to the room and saw Min Young crying on the ground, next to a suitcase with clothes everywhere, her rushed to her side. “Min Young.” He said worriedly as he knelt down beside her and picked her up, resting her head on his chest. “Min Young I heard what mother did. Are you okay?” he asked her wiping away her tears. Min Young shook her head as she broke into a fresh wave of bitter tears. “It’s alright, I am here. Stop crying now, huh?” he said running his hand over her hair to bring her some sort of comfort.

They sat on the floor for about thirty minutes as Min Young let it all out. She then fell asleep in her brother’s arms who then carried her and carefully placed her on her bed. He then put her clothes back on the hangers and hung them back into her closet. He started cleaning up her house. It was a complete mess. He threw all the trash out and did all her dishes. He then dusted the tables and chairs then he finished it off by vacuuming the place. When he looked down at his wrist watch when he was done, it was nearing to 8 o’clock. “Might as well have dinner from here.” He said walking to her fridge. He opened it and was greeted by junk foods, frozen pizza and cans of Soda and Beer. He sighed and rolled his eyes. “How is she not fat yet.” He said taking out his phone and making a phone call. “Yes, secretary Jang, please do some grocery shopping for me and bring it to Min Young’s apartment…..No I have nothing specific, just buy everything you can find. She has an empty fridge…yes…alright, bye.” He said hanging up and pocketing his phone. He then wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter