Chapter 7: Cinderella Next Door

I'm Not Your Cinderella

CHAPTER 7

Cinderella Next Door

 

To sum all that happened that morning right after Baekhyun entered the building, he had been introduced to the Creative Department and to say that they were happy to meet him was a huge irony. He could feel their heated gaze and scrutinizing looks. But despite that Baekhyun held his head high and acted professional. He shook their hands and greeted them. Moments later, the head of Creative Department, Irene, took him to the Editorial Department to meet Sehun’s editor, Kyungsoo.

Irene kept jumping on her feet when they were in the lift and it made him chuckle. “Are you… are you okay?” he softly asked.

“Well…” Irene chuckled nervously. “I’m not sure…we’re going to meet The Do Kyungsoo, how should I react to that rather than be nervous?”

Baekhyun’s brows creased, “Why is everyone scared of him,” he mumbled to himself. Irene wasn’t able to answer him since the elevator opened. The head led him to the last rows of cubicles and there, on the far right corner, was a man who was almost in the same height as him.

Do Kyungsoo had fair skin, dark hair and full heart shaped lips. His eyes were sclera rich that made him looked innocent. But the moment he talked to them, his voice was soft, baritone and very smooth, a little cold-toned, yes, but Baekhyun was, in fact, intrigued by this man.

“Who’s this?”

“Kyungsoo-ssi, this is Byun Baekhyun, the illustrator you and Sehun would be working with for the upcoming books. Baekhyun-ssi, this is Do Kyungsoo, Sehun’s editor,” Irene introduced rather stiffly, and carefully.

Baekhyun reached out a hand with a smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Do. I didn’t know the person who contributes to Mr. Oh’s masterpiece would be someone as cuddly and squishy as you.”

Kyungsoo frowned, “I’m neither squishy nor cuddly, Mr. Byun,” he eyed the waiting hand sceptically, but Baekhyun wriggled his hand and Kyungsoo cleared his throat. To Irene’s surprise, Kyungsoo shook Baekhyun’s hand, which made the latter, delighted.  “I hope you’re not like that brat. I hate missing deadlines.” The illustrator didn’t know why, but when Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, possibly threatening him, he could still see nothing but Hedwig.

Baekhyun squeezed the other’s hands firmly, chuckling. “So they say. But don’t worry Kyungsoo-ssi, I’ll do my best for my first job.”

 

----------

 

Irene took him back to the floor where they came from. Baekhyun noted that this was the same floor where Luhan was, and where the CEO’s office was. He wasn’t sure where the head was taking him, but he opted to follow her, without complains.

They passed the hallway to the Chanyeol’s office, with Baekhyun slightly hiding beside Irene in fear of being seen by the annoying giant. True, Park Chanyeol was his boss, his employer—he was practically the person who gave him this job. He was supposed to be grateful—yes he was. But sometimes, regardless of someone’s status, people tend to be idiots, or… jerks in Chanyeol’s case.

Baekhyun didn’t want to deal with jerks, particularly in the office. He didn’t want his own horns and tails to come out. If by chance, Chanyeol would appear and annoy the hell out of him today, he would be leaving him with more than just a jab on his chest this time.

“Baekhyun-ssi?”

The said man blinked, coming out from his day dreams. Irene was smiling at him as they stood in front of a small room, about the size of his studio apartment back then, but a little smaller. Floor was carpeted with dark gray, and there was wall-sized glass window just like in Chanyeol’s office, giving him a good view of Seoul below. Beside it was an L-desk, a Macintosh computer installed, a swiveling chair and a pen-tab. To the other side of the desk was a pile of papers, drawing pencils and other art materials, obviously branded and new.

As Baekhyun stepped inside the room, Irene told him one of the craziest s he’d ever heard this month.

“This room was Mr. Park’s small recreational room before. When he’s tired from work he stays here and sleeps here instead of going home in ungodly hours. We’re kind of surprised when the maintenance staff started renovating this into an office,” Irene smiled.

Baekhyun’s head whipped back at her in confusion. “Then—this…”

“This is your office Mr. Byun. All illustrators were given their privacy to work with their artworks in this company, but sadly we have no more room left in our floor. We’re not particularly hiring so…” she shrugged and bit her lower lips. “You’re kind of unexpected.”

“But why must Mr. Park’s room must be turned into an office for me to have a room—“

Irene chuckled, “That, is what I don’t know. Maybe because you’re working with Sehun, and Sehun is always in this floor to meet the CEO. It would be a convenience to him to visit you when he comes here.”

The head of the creative department taught him how to use the pen-tab, since Baekhyun was a traditional illustrator she needed to guide him in the digital part. Surprisingly, Baekhyun was a fast-learner, and he deemed that everything was just the same. In fact, digital painting was easier than traditional. You can undo things when you didn’t like it, but in the other one, once it was done, you could never go back.

He’d get some tutorials for the upcoming days with Irene on how to use the other software, but for now, he was given a break time enough to check the things out in his office. But because Baekhyun was bored, he grabbed one of the sketchpads and pencils, and began creating a portrait.

 

----------

 

Around three in the afternoon, Baekhyun was about to finish a color pencil drawing of a kid in a room, playing with his imaginary friend when a knock abruptly halted him from it. When he looked up, he saw the last person he wanted to see that day.

“Hello princess,” Chanyeol smirked. He was standing by the door, leaning against it, actually with his hands in his front pockets. Baekhyun slammed the pencil down on the desk, ears already red in irritation.

“Rule number three—Mr. Park—don’t call me princess when we’re at work,” he hissed.

“And fact number one—I am your employer, I get to do what I want.” Chanyeol closed the door and slumped on the couch in front of the illustrator’s desk. “How’s your first day?”

Baekhyun faked a smile. “It’s great. Until an annoying walking ears decided to barge in my safe haven.”

Chanyeol sat up straight and his grin dropped upon receiving the not-so-harmful insult on his ears. He slammed a hand on the desk, startling the smaller male—“Yah, you make fun of my ears again, you’ll regret it, princess.”

“And what will Mr. Park do? Do the Yoda dance to make me purge my lunch?” Baekhyun felt he was on top of the world from seeing different reactions on Chanyeol’s face. It was like he wasn’t talking to the son of the owner of this company, it was as if, when they’re alone, they could be just… Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

In the end, Chanyeol did his version of Yoda dance, and Baekhyun was thrown into fits of laughter from watching the all limbs giant try to impress him with his steps. Chanyeol on the other hand, felt all the stress from meetings and works from that morning evaporate into thin air when Baekhyun’s laughter seemed to be recorded at the back of his head. And even if he looked silly, he still danced for Baekhyun.

It looked like Baekhyun needed a good laugh too.

 

----------

 

“If I was a brat of an employee, I would have recorded that and spill it in SNS,” Baekhyun grinned, taking a gulp of water from his stainless container. Chanyeol was back on his seat, his tie loosened with a -eating grin on his face. “Oh I know you wouldn’t do that princess. For all I know, you’d rather keep these moments of us behind closed doors.”

Baekhyun raised a brow. “Maybe… but why should I?” He capped back the jug, putting it beside him.

Chanyeol lifted his shoulders, crossing his legs. “It’s precious.  The time you and I spent together,” his teasing tone decreased, replaced by the sudden seriousness “Alone…”

Baekhyun pressed his lips in a thin line, his cheek burning up with Chanyeol’s words and gaze alone. He cleared his throat, closing the sketchpad and putting back the color pencils in their box. The CEO chuckled at his attempt to brush off the topic, and opted to glance at his Rolex instead. “It’s almost three-thirty. We could grab some snack in the cafeteria…”

“Uhm… nope,” Baekhyun popped the ‘p’. “Can’t risk being seen with you,” he shrugged. Chanyeol’s bright eyes dimmed and his smile faded.

Was this how they’re going to be? They would act as if they were the closest behind closed doors but outside, they had to pretend like it was nothing? Why? Because of Chanyeol’s status? Because he was the employer?

Somehow, Chanyeol thought about his selfish intention to get Baekhyun into the company. He wanted to be closer to him, to know him better. But now… it seemed like Baekhyun was beside him, yet he was still so far away.

Baekhyun seemed to sense the other’s sudden deflation. Chanyeol was looking outside, through the glass window with his jaws locked in place.  He didn’t mean to be rude, but he didn’t want people to talk about things that weren’t true. Rumors could spread in a matter of seconds, and rumors could ruin someone’s life and career. Chanyeol had a name to protect. Baekhyun’s sudden appearance as Sehun’s illustrator was a question already, since he never applied to be one. In fact, it was Chanyeol who went to him, and asked him to be.

Chanyeol had done a lot for him. But why was it so hard for him to return it?

“After working hours,” he said, almost inaudible. Baekhyun turned his chair to face the other side, turning on the Mac. He could see through his peripheral vision that Chanyeol’s head whipped back to him. His hands played with the stylus of the pen tab, while waiting for the Adobe software to open.

“What?” Chanyeol asked, confused.

“After working hours,” he repeated with a sigh, leaning against the backrest. “We could grab some coffee and snacks…” his voice faded at the end. In the back of his mind, he was screaming at himself—why are you doing this Byun! You’re going to regret this—you’re going to regret drawing a path closer to him—

“Really?” When Baekhyun saw how Chanyeol’s grin could almost touch his ears, he told himself, one time wouldn’t hurt. Besides, this was the first time he saw a genuine happiness from the man’s eyes, sparkling, glinting like million stars.

His head bobbed twice, lips stretching into a small smile, “Really.” Then Baekhyun’s smile dropped as if he remembered something. He slammed his palm on the desk and clicked his fingers together—“And I’ll pay for my own coffee—you understand?” he warned the CEO. Chanyeol chuckled at this as he stood up from his seat in haste. He rounded the smaller man’s desk and turned his chair around.

“You’re the best princess! I’ll see you after five in the parking lot.” He leaned closer, his large hands propping his gigantic figure against the armrest of Baekhyun’s chair. “My princess gets to pay his coffee, but I get to drive him, deal?”

“What—“

Chanyeol leaned closer and stole a kiss on the man’s right cheek, pulling away immediately with a teasing grin. “I’m sure you know my car by now. See you later princess!” He waved and trotted out of the office, leaving Baekhyun red on his seat, still trying to rewind what just the CEO did to him—for the second time around.

Trembling hands tentatively reached out to touch his heated cheeks. Baekhyun whined and slammed his head on the desk, his heart pounding loudly in his ribcage.

 

-----------

 

The ride to the coffee shop was supposed to be awkward, Baekhyun expected it to be. But the moment he went in, Chanyeol never made it like that. He started conversations and Baekhyun talked to him until that feeling was gone. It was as if Chanyeol didn’t do anything odd a while ago. They went to the coffee shop, with Chanyeol ordering a Café Americano and Baekhyun settled for a latte.

They were waiting for their order as they sat beside the glass wall of the store, watching people passed by here and there. Baekhyun propped his chin on his hand watching an advertisement on one of the displayed screens in the streets, unaware of the CEO’s fond gaze on him.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called for his attention. Baekhyun glanced at him, putting down his hand back on the table.

“Yes?”

“What made you change your mind?” the employer asked. Baekhyun was at lost for a moment, but he thought that maybe Chanyeol was talking about the offer. He pursed his lips and thought about it for a moment. What made him change his mind?

Give it a shot.

That was right. Chanyeol’s voice rang repeatedly whenever he was on the verge of giving up. It was funny to think that someone like Chanyeol who didn’t know anything about him had the power to pushed him to his limits. But then maybe, that was what he needed. Someone who didn’t know anything—someone who would look at him for what he was right now, for who he was—and judged him by how he was, right now, without looking back at his past.

“Your annoying face keeps on bothering my dreams, saying ‘Give it a shot’ one thousand times everynight.” He snorted.

Chanyeol brushed off the insult and laughed instead, their orders were now delivered to their table. As the lady put their coffees in front of them, Chanyeol said, “I feel special,” with a mocking grin.

Baekhyun snatched a tissue paper beside him and threw it at the giant.

“Shut up, a-hole.” He snapped, ignoring the taller man’s chuckle.

 

-----------

 

Baekhyun insisted that he’d take the bus back home, but Chanyeol was stubborn. Of course, the CEO couldn’t think of any reasonable excuses for Baekhyun to take the bus, since they were living in the same building. Baekhyun lost this time, and he was back to the passenger’s seat with another round of take-out latte, Chanyeol’s treat, he said.

“I told you I get to pay for my coffee,” Baekhyun scowled while fastening his seatbelt. Chanyeol chuckled as he started the engine. “You did, didn’t you? But you didn’t tell me that I couldn’t treat you one.” Chanyeol held onto Baekhyun’s seat and looked behind while maneuvering his car out of the parking slot.

When they were in the road, steady on the right lane, Chanyeol asked, “How did you get a room in Elizabeth? Wait, don’t think I am asking because I think you can’t, but… I know the owner, and it’s a lot of process to have one…”

“Elizabeth?” Baekhyun echoed. “Oh, the condominium building?” He took a sip from his latte, “Luhan got me one. He said he also knows the owner and he pulled some strings… he even paid for my first month.”

“Really?” Chanyeol chuckled. “Told you, he’s your fairy god mother, princess.”

Baekhyun pinched the CEO’s thigh, drawing a yelp from him. “Don’t start, or I’m going to spill you this coffee this time.”

Chanyeol left his car for valet parking, walking inside the building with Baekhyun in tow. When he noticed that the smaller male was wandering and checking out the building he didn’t get to that morning, he grabbed his hand and guided him to the elevator. The gesture had the latter flushing, and it happened before already. Baekhyun remembered that time Chanyeol was also dragging him to the elevator in the company building.

They arrived at the floor earlier than they expected. Baekhyun bid Chanyeol goodbye but the taller male left the lift with him, much to his surprise.

“Why—“

“I’m taking you home,” Chanyeol simply said.

“I am home, it’s just a few walks—“ Chanyeol was already ahead of him, looking for his room. Baekhyun scratched his head and lead the way to his pad. “You’re impossible you know that?”

Baekhyun took his key card from his wallet, but before he could even swiped it, a hand grabbed his arm, turning him around suddenly without warning. Before he knew it, he was already against the wall, his lips sealed with Chanyeol’s soft and warm ones.

The kiss was unexpected, but it lasted long. Chanyeol’s lips were gentle yet demanding, it wss tasting, it was him. His tongue prodded the slit of his petal, asking for entrance.  Baekhyun gasped in the middle of their lip lock, granting the CEO the access to his cavern. Chanyeol had his hands on the man’s waist while Baekhyun’s were flat against his chest.

Chanyeol could feel it. Baekhyun’s desire, his unspoken emotions by how the smaller man responded to the kiss. It reassured him… it brought him hope—because this wasn’t one sided. What he felt for him wasn’t one-sided…

But it was as if his dream came to an end, Baekhyun suddenly pulled away, pushing him with a gasped. His lips were swollen, slicked with their spit and red. Chanyeol was left hanging, confused. Why was Baekhyun untangling himself from him?

“What’s wrong, Baek?”

“No…” Baekhyun whispered. He ran a hand through his brunette locks. “This isn’t right—we can’t… you can’t…” he panted.

“Baekhyun what is it—“ He took a step forward but Baekhyun stepped back with a hand up, stopping the CEO from touching him. “Chanyeol, we—we can’t do this. Stop doing things like this to me—this is wrong,” he said, panting. “Forget about the kiss—I…” Baekhyun turned around and swiped the key card in haste. “Thank you for the coffee, goodnight.”

Chanyeol was left there in front of Baekhyun’s door. Suddenly all his wishful thinking dissolved in less than a minute…

I know you feel the same, princess…why are you holding back?

 

 

-beta-

5.6.16