Chapter 18: Mysterious Five Days Effect

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Sorry for the delay, but I was writing this together with Deleted CB epilogue. But because I finished this first, i'm going to post it now.

Thank you guys for supporting this fic! And gosh INYC reached 100+ upvotes! Thank you all so much! I may not be answering to your comments but I read them all. Your encouragement and wonderful feedbacks keeps me motivated, so I hope you'll like this chapter.

You may ask why is the title like this, believe me, you'll think about the "five days" when you read this chapter.

But I know you guys are smart. If you finish this chapter realizing what happened--- I'd say you have already read a lot of my fics to read between the lines. :D

Enjoy guys~

 

 

 

Chapter 18

Mysterious Five Days Effect

 

“Hello, Seulgi? Any news from them yet?”

“I’m sorry Mr. Oh, but I haven’t received any call or message from the CEO. Before he left, he strictly forbids any form of disturbance until he contacts me again.” the lady on the other line explained dejectedly. As much as she wanted to help, her hands were tied.

“It’s okay, I understand that you’re just doing your job. His private number isn’t on anyway. I’ll see you later in the office Seulgi.”

“Anytime, Mr. Oh.”

 

Luhan shook his head upon seeing Sehun ending the call. “Five days, Hun. They’re gone for five ing days—“

“Hey, easy there tiger,” Sehun chuckled, taking his spot beside his lover. “I’m sure the two of them are fine. Chanyeol is with him, I’m sure of that. And hyung will not let anything happen to Baekhyun.”

His lover wasn’t convinced. Crossing his arms and blowing his adorable cheeks with a pout, Luhan muttered curses and threats against Chanyeol once he knew that he hurt his best friend again. This time he’ll not let it pass. The last time he and Baekhyun saw each other was when the younger was in his pad, recovering from what he just saw in the office that clearly, broke the illustrator’s heart.

Sehun’s comforting hands against his waist brought him back to reality, as the author placed a kiss on the crown of his head. “Don’t worry so much Lu. Chanyeol’s doing his best for Baekhyun.”

“He better be.” Luhan exhaled.

 

_____

 

“Remember, when you are speaking, always make eye contact. Do not let them inside your head. Always maintain your posture and your elegance. If they ever say degrading things to you, you must never raise your voice or start a fight. Offer a small smile, and that alone, my child, is enough to get back on your feet.”

“Straighten your back! Chin up, my dear.”

“Stop slouching,”

“Is that the proper way of holding your teacup?”

“Three books on your head, two on both of your hands. Now, raise your one foot and balance.”

“You’re not yet done, young master.”

 

“Baek…”

“Again!”

“Baekhyun!”

Jumping from his seat, Baekhyun turned to the man beside him who sported a teasing smirk from his reaction. Chanyeol snickered at him, but he jolted just the same when Baekhyun poked his side. “Stop laughing, you annoying giant.” Baekhyun scowled at him. Chanyeol, with a permanent grin on his face, leaned closer, cornering the shorter man by the window. His arm was fencing the younger, giving no space for Baekhyun to escape.

“Chanyeol, we are in public.” Baekhyun whispered, eyes looking everywhere to see if someone managed to witness Chanyeol’s bold actions.

“So?” Chanyeol tilted his head, attempting to kiss the strawberry lips that Baekhyun has.

Baekhyun raised his hand and covered Chanyeol’s lower face, nudging him off of his private space. “So keep your hands and lips to your face.”

Smirking, Chanyeol shook his head but did as he was told anyway. He leaned his back against the backrest, eyes still on the face of the man beside him. When he tried to intertwine their hands, Baekhyun didn’t move away. Content and at peace, Chanyeol adjusted himself before laying his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“I don’t want to go back yet,” Chanyeol said in a hushed voice, loud enough for Baekhyun to hear. Baekhyun on the other hand, brought their hands on his lap, his thumb caressing his lover’s skin.

“We could always go back next time.”

Whining, Chanyeol buried his face on the younger’s neck, earning a hearty laugh from Baekhyun. “Yah, you already have the time of your life for the past five days, Mr. Park. It’s time to go back to your responsibilities.”

Chanyeol raised his head; chin propping on the younger’s shoulders. “I’ll stay in your pad this week okay?”

“Why mine?”

Chanyeol stole a kiss from his cheeks, “Because your place is cozy.”

Baekhyun shook his head. When they heard the announcement of safety demonstration, he took his attention off of the giant and listened. It will be a long flight back home.

 

_____

 

 

The day is yet to start when the buzz around the office finally reached Luhan’s ears. They said that the CEO is back and they should do their tasks diligently. But that’s just one of the reasons why Luhan was stomping his way towards his best friend’s office. As expected, Byun Baekhyun is now on his table, starting his day with a cup of take-out latte and opening his Mac.

“Byun,” Luhan almost slammed the door shut. He stomped closer to the younger, ready to scold him for not notifying him of his absence. Heck, Luhan couldn’t contact him! All he wanted to ask from him is a simple call or message to tell him he’d be gone for a while so he wouldn’t go crazy looking for him here and there. If it wasn’t for Sehun telling him that Chanyeol and Baekhyun are together, he’d probably be driving to the police station by the second day of his disappearance.

But the second he realized the difference on his best friend, Luhan’s rant died down on his throat and all he could croak out was a baffled, “What happened to your hair?”

 

Baekhyun blinked twice at him. To be honest he was shocked to find Luhan in his office since the elder barely visits him here. Seeing him here was new to him. Baekhyun also expected this to happen—aka—Where the have you been, why didn’t you call me you insolent brat—because, well, it’s Luhan we’re talking about here. But not in the first thing in the morning, and also not in his office.

“Hi doll face.” Baekhyun grinned.

“You—“ Luhan reached out and pulled Baekhyun’s ears, causing the younger to stumble off of his chair and somehow, follow Luhan’s hands so his ear won’t fall off. “Ow- oww, Luhan—my ears, ow!”

When they are now face to face, without the table between them, Luhan released the younger’s ears and started his outburst, just as Baekhyun predicted. When he was done, Baekhyun was still massaging his ears with a pout.

“Byun Baekhyun!”

“I am sorry, okay?” Baekhyun sighed, “I didn’t have time since Chanyeol decided to leave the country immediately. By the time we got into the airport, I tried texting you, but he said no phones allowed. So he took my phone and turned it off. He just gave it back to me last night.”

Luhan narrowed his eyes at him with his hands on his hips.

“I’m saying the truth!” Baekhyun raised his both hands in surrender. “I swear to God!”

“Fine!” Luhan dropped the topic, now eyeing his newly dyed hair. “And that? What happened to you hair?”

Baekhyun reached out to his now, light ash blonde hair, with some undertones of light gold. “This happened accidentally. We passed this Salon, and they have this make over event and Chanyeol pushed me inside. When I went out, he was also shocked by the new hairdo.”

As much as Luhan questions the hair, the elder couldn’t deny how Baekhyun looked different with it. It’s as if he’s a Seoulite. But honestly, it’s a good different. Not to mention that Baekhyun looked like a K-Idol runaway.

Besides, there’s something new about his friend that he couldn’t pinpoint. Was it an after-glow? No, Baekhyun always have an after-glow ever since he and Chanyeol became official. Luhan raked his eyes from Baekhyun’s head to his toe. What is it, he thought. Was it his light make up? No, he always have that too ever since he started working here.

There’s an accent right now but Luhan couldn’t point it out.

“Mr. Lu Han, I appreciate the ogling, but you might want to go back to your cubicle before someone reports you.” Baekhyun grinned at him.

Luhan rolled his eyes at him, “We’re not yet done! I want full details on those five days you’ve been gone or else—“

“Yes mom, I get it.” Baekhyun shooed him away, chuckling to himself.

 

Luhan was already on his seat, halfway to his first queue of work when he realized that “accent”. It was barely visible since Baekhyun was wearing a sweatshirt but he was sure he saw a thin chain of white gold around his neck.

“Baekhyun never wears jewelry.” He said to himself. “But wasn’t that a necklace?”

 

_____

 

 

Chanyeol was greeted by his secretary the moment he got off the lift. As they walked towards his office, Seulgi briefed him of their sales status, plus his new schedule for this week. One particular thing caught the CEO's attention though, it's about the Annual Book Fair. He almost forgot about it. 

As Chanyeol listened to Seulgi, his keen eyes caught sight of a certain blonde on the other side of the floor, having a chat with Kyungsoo. It was as if there was gravity between them, Baekhyun managed to return his gaze.

And in that short five seconds of eye contact, Chanyeol managed to wink and smirk at his lover and Baekhyun playfully darted his tongue at him.

 

Of course, this certain phenomenon didn't escape some watchful eyes. But since they were not sure if it really was Oh Sehun's illustrator whom the CEO winked at that time, they didn't pay too much attention on it.

 

A couple of weeks have passed with a certain routine. Everyone was busy with the upcoming book fair. They have arranged several meetings for the books they should exhibit, for the ones they are going to auction, and of course for the guests invited in the said event. 

Not a single worker had time to dilly dally. Every second counts every day. Yet even with this kind of schedule, Baekhyun and Chanyeol would always find their way to show their care for each other.

Sometimes, when Baekhyun would go to the cafeteria, he would always buy an extra meal for take-out. He would leave it on Chanyeol's table if he's not around. But when he was working in his office and Baekhyun has time to spare, the latter would eat there with him, making sure that Chanyeol will finish his meal.

If it's Baekhyun who's busy and Chanyeol has no schedule, it was the CEO who would bring meals to his lover's office, or even buy a cup of latte if Baekhyun rings him. Baekhyun on the other hand, would give his giant a quick kiss as a form of thank you before going back to work. Of course, Chanyeol was more than satisfied with that.

 

Upon thinking how they really are perfect for each other, busy or not, Chanyeol found himself smiling as he waits for Baekhyun in the car, a soft ballad playing in the background. The times spent in their short vacation in Spain had him chuckling. It was one of the most perfect days of his life. 

 

Baekhyun caught the CEO staring at his right hand when he got into the parking basement. Chanyeol was too lost in his thoughts that he didn't see him hovering over the window of the passenger seat until he knocked on it. Surprised, the CEO unlocked the door and welcomed Baekhyun with a stolen kiss on his cheeks.

"Done with your drafts?" Chanyeol asked, starting the engine.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna start adding details later." Baekhyun said, fastening his seatbelt. 

“Alright, time to go home,” Chanyeol said as they went out of the building. Throughout their ride, his right hand and Baekhyun’s left hand were intertwined. Baekhyun fell asleep in the middle of their rode and he doesn’t have a heart to disturb his lover.

 

_____

 

“Miss Jennie, please. Mr. Park’s schedule is packed for today and it was a direct order not to accept any guest for today. The company is at the critical working week, so if you want, you may come back next week, or whenever Mr. Park is available. I highly suggest that you make an appointment first before—“

“I am his fiancé and I don’t have to make an appointment to meet Chanyeol.” Jennie insisted, raising her trimmed brow at Seulgi. The secretary wasn’t able to do anything when Jennie passed her by, walking towards the familiar pathway to Chanyeol’s office.

Even when Seulgi followed her and asked her not to enter, she opened the door without even knocking. Both of them saw how Chanyeol’s face morphed into an unpleased expression because of the disturbance.

“I’m sorry Mr. Park. Ms. Kim insists on meeting you today.”

Chanyeol took off his reading glasses with his brows furrowed. “It’s fine, Seulgi. Go back to your work.”

The secretary bowed and left, receiving a winning smirk from Jennie, who thought that she was too special for Park Chanyeol to resist. But that thought flew away when Chanyeol didn’t even stood from his seat, but instead, took the other folder on his table, scanning the reports of sale for the past six months.

“Aren’t you going to invite me to sit or even acknowledge my presence?” Jennie scoffed.

Chanyeol turned the page saying, “You’re not invited here, Jennie, why would I?”

The lady huffed but sat in front of Chanyeol’s table anyway, crossing her legs. “It’s been weeks, Yeol, and not even once did you return my calls or messages.”

“I’m not obliged.” The CEO flatly said.

“You are. You’re my fiancé. Don’t you think it’s rude letting the girl in this relationship wait that long for a date?” she exclaimed. “Be thankful that I’m saving your from Dad, or else he would call uncle and complain on how you treat me.”

What made Jennie snap that time was the fact that Chanyeol was not even bothered by her threat. Plus, the CEO wasn’t even listening to her. His eyes were glued to those boring papers. She did not come all the way here for this!

“Park Chanyeol!” she cried out.

Chanyeol slammed the folder down on his table, startling the lady. She knew how scary Chanyeol could be if he’s angry, but this is the first time that this anger was directed to her. If it wasn’t for the incoming call for CEO, maybe he would have yelled at her and she would have embarrassed herself right then and there.

Chanyeol spared one last glare at Jennie before snatching his phone. Baekhyun’s angelic smile on his contact photo eased his anger. He wasted no time and answered the call despite of Jennie’s presence.

“Hey princess,” he deliberately said, hoping that Jennie would some catch that Park Chanyeol is not interested in a like her. He didn’t fail for Jennie’s eyes narrowed when she heard the endearment. As far as she knows, Chanyeol never used any.

“I heard that your lovely fiancé is at your office right now, should I just put your food in my table so you could grab it there later? I’m having a meeting with Sehun at 1:30” Baekhyun’s teasing voice rang from the other line.

“What?” Chanyeol’s let out an amused laugh. “No, bring it here. How did you know about that?”

“Walls here have eyes and ears, Mr. Park. News fly fast.”

“I should announce a salary deduction for gossipers in the building.” Chanyeol smirked, ignoring Jennie’s questioning gaze.

“I haven’t fully paid you yet with the Armani I ruined, mister. Don’t you dare.”

“I can do whatever I want.” Chanyeol grinned. “Hurry up, I’m starving here. What did you get for me anyway?”

“I went out actually. Bought some chicken and pasta? Do you mind? I’m almost there. Are you sure that you want me to go inside your office with your girl inside?” Baekhyun chuckled, “I swear Park, if she ever starts with me, I won’t back down.”

“I love chicken. I’ll be waiting.” Chanyeol said not answering the rhetorical question. When the call ended, Jennie immediately asked him what he was expecting.

“Princess?” Jennie huffed, “So that is why,” She crossed her arms over her chest, standing up, “You are seeing someone behind me.”

Chanyeol put his papers aside, preparing his table for his lunch. “Like I said Jennie,” he started, “If I’m going to choose someone to stand by my side and to spend the rest of my life with, it will never be you. So I suggest that you leave now, the door is right there.” He gestured at the double doors, “… and if you want to call Uncle right now go ahead. If you want to call my dad, I’ll even give you his number.”

Jennie’s ears are red in anger as Chanyeol mocked her, “I don’t give a .” The CEO hissed. “Coz Jennie, you can’t just barge in here and dictate what I should do with my life because clearly, you’re not even a part of it.”

 

“That’s too rude,” Chanyeol heard his lover’s voice from the door. They were too immersed in their conversation that he didn’t notice his presence at all. Jennie turned around to see the owner of that voice. She knew that Chanyeol was expecting whoever he was seeing right now. The way he talked to that person over the phone clearly states that it was the CEO’s lover. But she didn’t expect to see a man in a button up denim shirt and tight white jeans to walk in the office.

He walked towards them with a hint of elegance, his head held high, shoulder’s squared properly and a small smile not forced but not to showy either. He stopped right beside her, dropping the paper bag of take-out food on the CEO’s table.

“Here’s your lunch, Mr. Park. Enjoy your meal.” He said, tilting his head.

Chanyeol chuckled, “Thank you. You should go now. I know you have many things to do.”

Baekhyun turned around, and as he did, he spared Jennie a glance before walking out of the office. Jennie could only look at Chanyeol disbelievingly before following the guy who just walked out. She found him in the hallway, and because she doesn’t know his name, Jennie ran to him and grabbed his arm with a tight grip.

Baekhyun, startled from the sudden contact, turned to face Chanyeol’s guest who was already fuming at him.

“You…” Jennie hissed.

“Yes?” Baekhyun completely faced her, snatching his arm from her grip. If someone was there right now, they would feel the chills on their spine on how thick the tension was between the two. Baekhyun was surprisingly calm, sporting a blank face, while Jennie was one step away from causing a ruckus.

“I couldn’t believe that Chanyeol would pick someone like you over me,” Jennie shook his head. “But I am sure you’re just using him for money. You seduced my fiancé so you could take him for granted.”

Baekhyun took a breather, crossing his arms over his chest. “What a very bold accusation Ms. Kim,” he started, “But to my defense, I never seduced Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said confidently. “And what we have right now is clearly none of your business. You are free to think whatever you want but I know to myself that they are not true. Besides,” Baekhyun tilted his head, a gesture that Jennie didn’t like, “Chanyeol was never your fiancé, Jennie. You can’t hold on to any promise given by someone else and not the person himself.”

Jennie was surprised that this guy already knows the story behind her and Chanyeol. When she asked how, Baekhyun simply said that Chanyeol told him. But these things barely nudge the lady.

“You two might be lovers for now, but I assure you, whoever you are you filthy rat, you’ll go back to the sewers where you came from. Chanyeol will marry me and he’ll set you aside. He might not marry me for love, but he’ll marry me because he needs me. This company needs my family therefore he is bound to marry me.” Jennie smirked. “Enjoy your days with my man because at the end of the day, he’ll be mine.

On her way towards the elevator, Jennie stopped in the middle when that guy called her again. She turned around and saw her smiling at her. A smile that was half genuine and half sardonic.

“Before your delusional mind eats you rotten, Jennie Kim,” Baekhyun stated calmly, lacing his voice with a bit of poison as his eyes fixed on hers, “Mark my words today,” he said, “Unless Chanyeol and I decided to break things off between us, nothing but death can do us apart.”

 

_____

 

 

Chanyeol was halfway on his meal when the door to his office opened again, revealing Baekhyun’s head. “Hey giant, you’re not sleeping beside me tonight. Take the couch.”

“What—“ Chanyeol choked on his food, “W-Why?!”

“Just because I said so!” Baekhyun slammed the door shut.

“Princess!” Chanyeol called but Baekhyun didn’t come back anymore. A few seconds later and Chanyeol was chuckling to himself, shaking his head. Why does everytime Baekhyun is pissed off, he’s so freaking cute that he couldn’t resist him?

Maybe he should be thankful to Jennie because a jealous Byun is rare to see.

Chanyeol shook his head, eyes fondly looking at the white gold band on his right pinky finger.

 

_____

 

 

They weren’t expecting visitors that Saturday morning, so when someone rang the doorbell, the Lu couple looked at each other in confusion. It was only when they opened the door to see who their guest was that Limei realized that it wasn’t just any visitor, but someone whom she expected to meet soon.

She didn’t know him personally, but she has seen him a couple of times. He was just a teenager the last time she saw him but now, he was one handsome young man. She wouldn’t be able to forget his resemblance to Karlile, so upon recognizing him, Limei’s heart drummed against her chest in anxiousness.

“Kevin…”

The said man bowed for a greeting, “It’s been a long time, Limei…” he said, “Do you mind if…I take some of your time. It’s pretty important.”

Limei dread for this day to come. But as the old saying says, no secrets will remain untold.

“It’s about Kristian…” Kevin started, “I am looking for him… and I was wondering if you know his whereabouts?”

Clearing , the elder woman invited him inside. Her husband left the two of them in their privacy as they sat on the sofa set. Limei asked her servants to serve some tea. A couple of seconds passed with nothing but silence before Limei started.

“If I know where Kristian is right now,” she said, “What would you do Kevin? What would you tell that child?”

Kevin swallowed thick thorns, looking everywhere but the woman’s eyes.

“Father needs him back, Aunt Mei. His grandfather is dying and his only wish is for him to come back home.”

 

 

P.S.

unbeta-ed.