Chapter 25: Glass shoes

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 25

Glass Shoes

 

It was one of the worst feelings he had ever known. A sudden spark of hope and then it will die down like a candle blown by a mere whisper of the wind. Chanyeol ran his hand through his hair, taking a deep breath to calm himself down. Surrounded by strangers, in the middle of the Blue Palace, Chanyeol lost his princess once again.

“I’m not giving up,” Chanyeol told himself, closing his eyes while re-mapping the blurred features he just saw earlier. “Not now that I know you’re near…” he said with determination.

Chanyeol walked out of the mall with large strides. He went back to the café with a new plan in mind. And while he finished the latte with his MacBook on the table, Chanyeol’s right hand fingers kept playing with the two bands on his left hand.

One placed on his ring finger and one on his pinky.

 

====

 

With a paper bag in hand, Baekhyun went back home as fast as he could. His hands are twitching and itching to take the brush and spend the day until midnight to trace the canvas. It was a concept, he thought.

Making sure the easel was sturdy enough, he put the canvas on it and locked it in place. Baekhyun rotated his neck and shoulders before dragging the high table to his side. Jars of water, used color palettes and different shaped brushes ready, Baekhyun took a deep breath and let the wind by the open window relax his mind.

He started with a of yellow, a bright color which reminds him of Chanyeol’s playful demeanour. It was the soul of Chanyeol’s eyes. For Baekhyun, he was the sun that gave light to his world when he thought it was falling apart. He was Baekhyun’s dawn and dusk.

Chanyeol might not know, or he might have not notice, but Baekhyun loved how he . He loved how he kept on pushing Baekhyun’s limits until he would get hit by Baekhyun’s elbow or stomped by his feet. Maybe it was a routine that will never be erased between the two of them. Chanyeol, after all, was a jerk in Baekhyun’s opinion.

Baekhyun didn’t finish the first canvas that day, but he fell asleep with a smile on his face. The next time he worked on it though, was two days after. He added the shades of red and orange. While working, Baekhyun let the stereo play some classical music in the background.

 

 

 

An expected visitor invited himself in his place. Baekhyun hurriedly helped Luhan take the bags of groceries into the kitchen.

“What are these?” Baekhyun gasped, taking the vegetables and meat from one of the bags. Luhan rolled his eyes, opening the fridge to put the eggs on the rack.

“Food, in case you forgot how they are called since you never left your house since you came back two weeks ago. Sheesh, what are you, Baek? A hermit—ow!”

Baekhyun chose the perfect time to hit Luhan’s head with the biggest eggplant he got. “I have to work on my paintings, in case you forgot,” he said mocking Luhan’s words, “I don’t think I can find Chanyeol if I won’t do it this way.” Baekhyun said putting the veggies in the crisper.

Pouting, Luhan rubbed his head while he kept putting the other eggs, “How can you be so sure that Chanyeol will come around with your paintings? They are all stuck here in your house!”

“For the mean time yes!” Baekhyun raised his voice, annoyed, but deep inside Luhan was all giddy upon pulling the younger’s bratty attitude back. Baekhyun’s life is slowly coming back even in his peaceful solitude. He doesn’t know how it happened, but whenever he’s visiting him, (which by the way is every day), he sometimes catches Baekhyun eating while painting or seeing unwashed dishes in the sink. It only means that even in his concentration, Baekhyun was doing his best to bring himself back on his feet.

“In a month or so, I think I’ll be able to hold an exhibit.”

Luhan’s eyes widened, “Exhibit?! Was that your plan all along?”

Baekhyun nodded, leaning against the kitchen island as he pondered over his plan. “Yes, I’ve been wanting to hold one but I’m still thinking about the perfect venue and the date. But aside from that, my works falls in one concept which, I know, might call Chanyeol’s attention.”

Baekhyun walked towards his working place, with Luhan in tow. The latter’s eyes fell on the finished masterpiece and he couldn’t believe the hard work Baekhyun had put in every single piece. In different sizes of canvas and frames, were everything related to a certain fairy tale. But what Luhan admired the most was the unfinished image that Baekhyun was doing right now.

“This…” he said in awe. Baekhyun looked at the said image and smiled. He crossed his arms over his chest and put his weight on one side as he stood, jutting his right hips out. “You like it?”

Luhan hovered his hands over the lines and splashes of colors. “It’s not yet finished but Baekhyun,” he shook his head in disbelief, “The details are remarkable.”

“It will be a four-pieced canvas, portraying one image.” Baekhyun said.

“All in this size?” Luhan asked, amazed. With Baekhyun’s nod, he glanced back at the other paintings. “Would this be your last painting?”

“For this concept, yes. This one,” Baekhyun gestured at the unfinished image on the easel, “Will be the best of the highlights.

 

====

 


The aroma of brewed coffee and the smell of beef stew had Chanyeol walking to the kitchen, greeting one of his maids before he saw Mrs. Lee, his cook and head servant.

"My mouth is watering from the smell, Mrs. Lee." he chuckled. The elder woman in her late fifties chuckled as she prepared the master's lunch.

"I am happy to know that my cooking matches your taste, Mr. Clyde." she said, ordering one of the maids to start putting the foods on the table. Chanyeol sat on his seat, watching as they put the bowl of stew and a plate of rice before him. There's also the side dish and fruits served, complete with his favorite coffee, even at noon.

While he was eating, Chanyeol noticed how fondly the elder woman was looking at him. Curious, he dabbed a napkin on his lips before asking her.

"What is it Mrs. Lee? I know I'm handsome but I know you love your husband too much to have your eyes on me." He asked with a smug smirk.

The elder woman chuckled, "Silly. I just noticed how bright you are today, Mr. Clyde. I haven’t seen you like this since I started working for you.”

Chanyeol leaned his back against his seat, pondering over how his life was for the past few years had been. It’s dead, he would admit. Without Baekhyun, everything is black and white. Life is bland and nothing but a cycle he had to face every day.

However, ever since his (almost) encounter with whom he believed was Baekhyun, he remembered his purpose why he’s here. He remembered why he became Clyde Park, and why he chose to turn his back on his previous life.

It was all because of his other half.

 

====

 

Chanyeol walked past his secretary’s office and went directly to his table. Taking off his dark blue coat and tossing it on one of his couches, he rolled up his sleeves and took his seat. A number of folders are waiting for him, various reports and proposals to be approved. Before he started his work though, he took the remote in one of his drawers and the player on the other side of the room, a soft classical music started to play.

An hour or so in his office, Chanyeol received a call from his secretary, reporting that someone with the name of John Seo was insisting on meeting the Chairman.

His heart drummed in both anxiety and excitement when he let the person in. A few moments later, a young man in grey coat and dark jeans entered.

Chanyeol leaned back on his seat, crossing his legs under the table. He waited for the man to say something until he placed a brown envelope on his table. He wordlessly took it, glancing at the man first before taking out its contents. Chanyeol reviewed them carefully, before taking a look on the other.

John took this time to explain what he brought.

“There was no record of Kristian Heinsworth other than his flight here a few weeks ago. But this Byun Baekhyun… I got some of information about him.” John took a seat, “He’s living in Crown Tower on the 33th floor taking one of the Diamond suites. There’s also his bank account information which has a couple hundred millions of dollars, and a record of his credit card which was only used in bookstores and groceries.”

Chanyeol nodded and took a sealed white envelope in return, giving it to the young man. “I’m impressed. Thank you for your hard work John.”

The said man bowed his head, still with a straight face, before leaving.

 

When Chanyeol was left alone, he stared at the papers on his hand with a wide grin. He was torn in between leaving the office to see Baekhyun right then and there, but he couldn’t risk it. He doesn’t want anyone to know his whereabouts yet. Chanyeol planned to take Baekhyun back behind prying eyes and watchful media. With this, just in case his identity was revealed with a scandal in tow, they wouldn’t be able to separate him and Baekhyun again.

It might be confusing to everyone as to why he suddenly disappeared without any form of contact. Why he didn’t tell that he’s back in Korea, why he didn’t get in touch with them after he studied in America. The answer is—his parents know Sehun and Kai, they would contact them or have someone to follow them to look for their son, Park Chanyeol. If it happens they will do everything to force Chanyeol back in the publishing company. He wouldn’t be surprised if they had someone to investigate about Baekhyun. They might think he had something to do in his disappearance.

But since Park Chanyeol is now under the shadow of Clyde Park, they wouldn’t know that he was doing everything behind the curtains.

Until everything is settled between him and Baek, Not even Park Chanyeol or Clyde Park will appear to anyone.

 

====

 

Chewing his bottom lips, Baekhyun waited for the Operation’s Manager in the small office. Finally, he had finished all of his paintings and after a week of searching for a perfect venue, he found a perfect spot in Blue Palace ground floor to hold his exhibit in. He’s a little bit nervous when he was being interviewed earlier.

He just hopes that they will approve.

The lady came in moments later, holding a folder which she gave to him. Baekhyun watched her sit before him and say, “Your request has been approved, Mr. Byun Baekhyun. In here is the list Agreement and Policies that you should know and sign after. Please make sure that the following information is correct.”

Baekhyun read the paper, checking everything, even the amount he has to pay for a week of renting the space. It’s expensive, honestly, but nothing he can’t afford. He understands that Blue Palace is a popular place so it will be worth it. He had requested a lot of advertisement so the extra amount was for it.

At the end of the paper, Baekhyun signed his name and the date. With a smile he shook his hand with the manager.

“We’ll be happy to have you here in Blue Palace next week, Mr. Byun.”

“Thank you.”

 

=====

 

As Baekhyun was busy with the floor plan of his exhibit, talking with the mall representatives and staffs who were tasked to help him, he was unaware that there was a pair of longing eyes watching him at a distance. The venue would be on the ground floor, however on the highest floor of the mall was no other than Chanyeol. He received a notice and also an invitation for the exhibit from Baekhyun himself as a courtesy and thank you for approving his proposal. But of course, since his name nowadays is Clyde Park, his ignorant little princess didn't know that.

He was glad that Baekhyun was doing well, he looks fine and he's doing the things he loved. But some questions still linger in his mind, eating his guts from inside out.

If Baekhyun came back here and stayed in Seoul for a while now, why isn't he trying to look for Chanyeol? Did he forget him already? Did he give up? Was he, somehow, mad that Chanyeol didn't get to fight for him and take him all these time that they are apart?

Well, Chanyeol couldn't blame him if he does hate him.

But everyone knows that when it comes to Baekhyun, Chanyeol isn't the one to give up. He will win his heart back. He will court him again if he has to. Because there isn't anyone for him other than the man whom he married five years ago.

 

====

 

"You what?!" Luhan coughed and tried to breathe, wincing as the his nose burned when the water went through the wrong pipe. He didn't hear it wrong right. Baekhyun just rented a space in Blue Palace? Blue Palace? For real? He knew Baekhyun is one hell of a rich man but damn, that was uncalled for. Even Xiao Rin didn't get an approval of her request from the company. Take note that she even went to the main office.

Baekhyun blinked at his friend before going back to his meal. Luhan invited him over to have dinner with him, Sehun and Xiao Rin. He didn't want to disappoint his friend or waste his favorite mushroom steak meatballs that Luhan cooked for him. When Luhan asked why he seemed so busy these days, he just told him the truth.

He had already reserved a space in Blue Palace for his 1 week exhibit.

Little did he know that Xiao Rin beside Luhan was frozen on her seat.

"I went there and showed my proposal. Of course they asked me somethings, it felt like an interview. They said the price and I figured that, it's worth it so I agreed."

"Then they accepted you?"

"Yes, they approved." Baekhyun said after swallowing the tender meatball.

 

Sehun chuckled, "You're really something Baekhyun hyung."

The said man sent a wink to the author. "You know me," he chuckled.

Xiao Rin went back eating with a little force of her utensils against the ceramic plate. All of them glanced at her and Luhan mouthed to his friend not to pay attention to her. Well, Baekhyun would never waste his time over some petty envy from an immature brat.

That was until she opened .

"Or maybe you just bribed whoever that person was to maybe your little prick in exchange.”

Luhan snapped his head to his cousin, shocked and completely baffled by her sudden behaviour. “Xiao Rin!” he reprimanded. Baekhyun and Sehun chewed slowly, the young author was watching the three of them while Baekhyun continuously listening while taking a look at his plate.

“What’s with you, huh? Apologize to Baekhyun! Right now!”

Xiao Rin glared at him, “Why would I apologize to that ? What I said is real, it’s obvious that he did whoever that person is some favor to say yes—“

“Look,” Baekhyun interrupted, putting down his fork, “I don’t really get why you hate my guts, but I’m not taking away your liberty to do so.” He shrugged, “And I don’t really care if you think that I…” he raised his brows motioning his crotch with his two hands, “got a from that pretty lady—“ Xiao Rin scoffed but Baekhyun brushed it off “---because I am gay.”

Sehun blinked at Baekhyun and Luhan shook his head in defeat.

“So, Xiao Rin, I would really appreciate it if you mind your own business.” Baekhyun wiped his lips with a napkin before standing up. “I suggest that if you have a proposal for any company, try not to sneak in, with cosplay in front of the chairman.” He smiled, “Luhan, thank you for the meal, I really enjoyed the meatballs. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Luhan glared at her cousin one last time before he stood to walk his friend out. “Okay, Baek. How ‘bout I go visit you tomorrow and help?”

“Oh right, it’s Saturday, sure you can. But I’ll be there 4PM onwards. I have to sleep in, you know.” Baekhyun chuckled as they went out.

Luhan snorted, “Okay, I will be there around five or six.”

 

====

Sleeping in had become Baekhyun’s habit. With all the work he has to put in setting up his exhibit, he found solace in between fluffy pillows and thick duvet. But of course, it was still cold and incomplete. Something was still missing and Baekhyun was doing his best to look for that missing piece.

But for some reason, his plan to wake up at noon was interrupted by nonstop ringing of his doorbell. With a grunt, he left his haven to see who it was. His hair was sticking out in every direction and he wore nothing but off white sweats and shorts. Baekhyun opened the door with scowl, because if it’s Luhan he’ll probably hit him for disturbing his sleep.

“Who the hell—“ Baekhyun was cut off when he saw a huge bouquet of perfectly arranged flowers in the hand of a man in his mid-thirties.

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun?” he asked. When Baekhyun dumbly nodded, the man gave him the bouquet and had him signed. He tipped his cap as a greeting and left to the direction of the elevator.

Baekhyun went back inside, confused and looking for anything that’s in the beautiful bouquet. He saw an envelope with it and he wasted no time opening it. Inside was his invitation for his exhibit. An exquisite scented paper with a logo of his concept that he himself made—a fine feminine silver lines forming an outline of a shoes. A pair of glass shoes.  Baekhyun had used his screen name as “Ella” for the invitation as the artist in spotlight. But what was it doing here.

Baekhyun found the answer at the back of it.

I miss you princess.

 

 

 

A/N: HAHAHA. how is it? Drop some comments below. How do you like this chapter? What do you think will happen next chap? See ya guys. :D

P.S. Idek why the title is glass shoes. XD