Chapter 22: Frostbite

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 22

Frostbite

 

Five years later

Seoul, South Korea

 

"Yah, aren't you finished yet? You've been circling that section for almost an hour Xiao Rin!" snapping at his younger cousin, Luhan checked his watched, frowning at the amount of time wasted on his oh so precious day off. As much as possible, he wanted to spend each second of his weekends productively, but to his dismay, he went home to his parents yesterday finding Yun Xiao Rin sitting in their living room.

He wasn't really against the idea when his mom said that Xiao Rin will be staying with them for a while. The thing is, she is a spoiled brat who liked to annoy the hell out of him because 'Lu-ge is cute when he's angry~' she says.

What annoys Luhan the most? It's the fact that they are so much alike that they clash. They have similar personalities, both stubborn, loudmouth and spoiled. From time to time (read: every time) they banter, they argue, and they speak like they resent each other so much. But that wasn't really the truth. They care for each other. That's just the type of relationship they have since they were kids.

"These are incredible, ge! Every designer brands are in this mall! Not to mention that Blue Palace is also competing against them." The young lady said in awe, eyeing the beautiful make-up products on the table she's been gawking at for God knows how long. 

Luhan shook his head, taking a deep breath while crossing his arms over his chest. Though annoyed, he agrees with the younger's opinion. 

Blue Palace--people will make fun of you if you don't know this name, that's how popular it is. It's a trademark and it's very popular nowadays. It's not just one product because Blue Palace has its own fashion line, make-up and jewelry brand. But before all of that, Blue Palace became famous as one of the newly established mall in Gangnam. It caught the public's attention because of its post-modern architecture. Inside the mall, aside from a variety of designer stores was a small theme park for kids. There's a mini Ferris wheel, train tour, animal mounts, and of course, the mini castle built for young girls to play in. Because of its popularity, a few branches of the said mall were built. It also became a hotspot for foreigners and it helped the country's economy and tourism. 

But enough of this, Luhan shook his head upon realizing he's zoning out again. With a last warning to his cousin, he turned around and opted to wait for her on the bench just outside the store they were at. 

 

It was already late in the afternoon when they arrived home. Well, it's Luhan's and Sehun's home actually. He just insisted that Xiao Rin should stay the night. Sehun isn't a stranger to her, because apparently, the author was Xiao Rin's senior back in college days. 

They found Sehun in his casual shorts and tees on the couch with a Mac Book on his lap. He seemed to be concentrated on whatever it was on his screen that Luhan didn't bother him anymore. He was sure that he was either concentrated on his new novel or something was bothering his lover. And for the past years, he only knows one thing that could put Sehun so much on edge like this.

It’s his hyung.

Park Chanyeol.

Luhan told Xiao Rin not to ask questions for now. His cousin got the signal and left to stay in the guest room where she could try out the clothes she bought. When the young lady was gone, Luhan sat beside the author wordlessly, waiting for Sehun to talk if he wanted to. It didn’t take long though. Sehun shut his mac a few moments later and laid his head on Luhan’s small shoulders.

“This is so ing stressful…” he groaned. Luhan held his hand and squeezed it, smiling sympathetically at his lover’s whines though the author couldn’t see it.

“What is?” he asked him.

“Jongin and I tried our best to look for hyung but until now, there’s no news of him.” Sehun sighed. Luhan pressed his lips in a thin line as the issue about Chanyeol’s disappearance five years ago was put on the surface. They never really talked about it, but it was left hanging in the air.

Yes it’s true. Chanyeol disappeared five years ago. At first, they thought he was on another vacation leave. But after two weeks of his absence, people started to get worried. It was unclear until the Chairman appointed a new CEO leaving the details of Chanyeol’s whereabouts behind. But Sehun didn’t stop there. He went to their residence and asked Mrs. Park himself what happened.

And there, they confirmed about Yoora’s case, and Yoora’s connection to Baekhyun, who was apparently the lost child of Heinsworths. Chanyeol didn’t accept it well when Baekhyun was forcibly taken away from him by his own family, and the fact that he’d never see his lover again. He didn’t like the fact that his family was against their relationship either. And so he started his rebellion of not going to work and doing his responsibilities as their company’s CEO.

Then one day, they just woke up without Chanyeol in the house.

And Chanyeol took some of his clothes, and then all of his important documents disappeared.

 

Sehun was so pissed because he never knew anything. How could he say that he was Chanyeol’s friend when he couldn’t even be there when Chanyeol needed someone? He didn’t even know that Chanyeol’s sister was imprisoned, heck, by Baekhyun’s family, of all the people. And Yoora was Baekhyun’s stepmother? How small this world could be? And if Yoora was proven guilty of what she was accused of, how did Chanyeol take all of this on his own?

“Up until now, I still couldn’t believe how Chanyeol hyung managed to take all of that pain by himself,” Sehun sighed. “He’s strong and capable but, a man could only handle much. I believe he’s more than just…broken, Luhan. It’s irritating cause I didn’t even get a chance to help.”

His lover hummed as he let his head lean against Sehun’s. “I used to think the same when it comes to Baekhyun. But you know Sehun, sometimes, leaving them in their privacy is the best help you could offer. Not all people would want their loved ones to see their weak sides. I’m sure Chanyeol didn’t want to bother you, so he decided not to let you know. Besides, he’s an adult. He knows what he’s doing.”

“But still…” Sehun’s face darkened, “He should have told us where he’s going.”

Luhan couldn’t say it but, he was sure Chanyeol’s not that far from them.

 

 

_____

 

 

“For Seoullite’s third anniversary, we decided to feature the Blue Palace. I’m sure that our magazine will be sold out in no time if we succeed to get their permission. Since this is a vital task, I have to leave it in capable hands.” The editor in chief says in their meeting. Xiao Rin’s eyes almost bulged out of her sockets when the EIC said her name.

“I will entrust you this assignment. I hope you’ll make our dream possible, Xiao Rin.”

Overwhelmed yet also proud, she stood and bowed at her team who was cheering for her. Xiao Rin would do her best to get Blue Palace’s approval.

She brought this news to his cousin when she called him on her break. Luhan was so happy for her that he almost forgot that he’s in his cubicle and people around him are doing their respective jobs while he’s taking a call. When he squealed, he got a look from Yixing who was seated beside him. Luhan smiled sheepishly and mouthed a sorry, which Yixing just replied with an amused chuckle.

“That is a big news, Rin! Congratulations!”

“Don’t congratulate me yet, ge! I have yet to get the yes. I just hope that I could do it. No other magazine has tried to get them on their pages and it was rumoured that they haven’t been featured in any social media. If we succeed then it will be big for our magazine and for our team.”

“I know,” Luhan chuckled, “I hope you realize how your success depends on your hands right now.”

“Of course I do! I am enthusiastic about this. So tomorrow morning, I would definitely ditch the office and start this mission.”

“Good luck, girl.” Luhan cheered.

 

As Luhan ended the call, his home screen pops out and his smile was wiped off of his face. His wallpaper was none other than the painting Baekhyun did for him years ago. It was the image of Luhan as an angel—the same image which brought Baekhyun to Park Publishing.

Without Baekhyun, life is dull and Luhan is incomplete. When his mother called him telling that Baekhyun was taken back to England, he felt a chunk of his heart was carved out. That only meant two things—

He’ll not see Baekhyun for a long time.

And Baekhyun will be, once again, a bird in a golden cage.

He’s afraid that Baekhyun would return to a person whose eyes had gone dull and whose smiles had gone bitter and forced. He’s afraid that the sarcastic yet honest words from Baekhyun’s heart will be concealed. Luhan’s afraid to see him break once more.

Because he couldn’t do anything for Baekhyun that time up until now, Luhan would only do what he could and that is to pray for him. He would also send him messages from time to time even when overseas rate is expensive. This way, he wanted Baekhyun to know that wherever he was, he was not alone.

Luhan took a deep breath.

He just missed his best friend after all.

 

____

 

Heading to Blue Palace’s corporate office was hard for Xiao Rin. She’s only been in Seoul for a year and she’s not yet familiar with shortcuts around the city. She’s trying to chase time since it’s almost lunch. If she didn’t get there on time, she’ll have to wait until they entertain her request. As if they would prioritize her, right? Of course before they could even appoint her to the right person to talk to, she’d have to wait for minutes or worse—hours.

Just her luck, she was trapped in a red light and it’s another minute wasted for her. Xiao Rin waited until the light turned green before stomping on the accelerator. She managed to get there thirty minutes before noon—but she still has to park her white car. Could this day get any worse?

Accepting her defeat, Xiao Rin left the car on the parking lot reserved for guests. She wouldn’t make it anyway so she chose to grab a snack first on a nearby café.

The scent of coffee and pastries invaded her sense of smell and boy, her stomach suddenly grumbled in return. She quickly ordered a frappe and blue berry cheesecake before taking a sit on one of the vacant couches by the glass walls.

While waiting for her order, Xiao Rin examined the place and smiled at its interior design. The walls were painted with cream on upper half and designed with wooden tiles on the lower half. The pillars were decorated with typographies and quotes. There was also a wall dedicated probably to the café’s regular customers. In the background, a playlist of latest songs were played softly, giving a calming yet modern ambiance to the place.

As her eyes examined almost every part of the place, they found a certain spot on the café where she noticed a man in the corner. He’s tall, probably towering every single person in this place if he stands. He had his dark hair swept back and his eyes framed with dark sunglasses. She couldn’t help but swallow when she noticed how toned the man’s arms were, perfectly hugged by the sleeves of his navy blue sweatshirt and how long his legs are underneath the table. The man was busy on his laptop, reminding her of her sunbae, Sehun, who was probably glued to it 24/7.

Xiao Rin got distracted when a crew came to her serving her orders. She thanked her and proceeded to taste the cake with a hum. Her doll like eyes went back to the man on the corner. She watched him like he’s an eye candy. This time she saw him take his phone over his ears, and from her spot she heard his deep voice that got her spine shivering.

“What?” she heard him say—or more like snarled, “They won’t allow you? Did you tell them what I told you to say? Pass them the phone,” he paused for moment, before answering in a voice higher than the previous one.

“Is this the manager? Yes, it’s me. I suggest that you let my men enter the unit right now before I go there myself and have you fired.” He said, and Xiao Rin almost cowered on how icy his tone was. “The key was given to me by the previous owner himself and that was a proof. His property is also my property and I’ll have you know that I am the one paying for that unit for years.”

The man ripped off his sunglasses in irritation and Xiao Rin met a pair of dark orbs glaring her way. She was stunned for a moment before looking away in shame. But that didn’t stop her from overhearing the one-sided conversation.

“You better be,” he growled. From her peripheral, he noticed that the man shut his laptop and stood. She was right about his height and that made him more intimidating in her eyes. Xiao Rin couldn’t even look straight at him for she was caught eavesdropping. As the man left the café, Xiao Rin was left intrigued by his identity.

_____

 

Spread out on his bed, Kai mostly spends his time at the top floor of Elizabeth Condos which he already owns. Since he was one of those spoiled youngest child of the family, Kai wasn't required to handle a huge responsibility on his shoulder and he tend to spend his time sleeping. Lucky, right? But lately, he hasn’t been able to slack off because he and Sehun were using their spare time trying to find Chanyeol. Since Sehun was still working on his novels, it was him who would update the younger on any news they might get from their connections.

That day was just like any other day to him before Kai received a call from the manager of the building. Upon confirming that someone apparently accessed the place where Chanyeol used to stay, he jumped off of the bed and left his and Kyungsoo’s place.

He had no time to wait for the lift so Kai quickly took the emergency stairs. While taking double steps at a time, he took his phone and sped dialled Sehun.

“Yes, hyung?” Sehun’s hopeful tone made his heart drum in anxiety.

“Sehun,” Kai started, “I think Chanyeol is in Elizabeth right now. I got a call that someone accessed his room and they are checking the CCTV as we speak right now.”

“What? Are you serious? I will go there right now—“

“You have to finish your manuscript, let me handle this. And if Chanyeol is really here, I’ll give you a ring, okay?”

“Fine, I’ll be waiting.”

Kai finally arrived on the 21st floor right in time the call ended. Panting, he jogged towards his friend’s unit and found a couple of people outside. Frowning, he approached a man who wore a plain white polo and black slacks.

“Excuse me, but what’s happening here?”

The man eyed him first before clearing his throat, “We were tasked to take Mr. Park’s personal things out of this place. He’s terminating his contract, I think.”

“Terminating? Well—where is he?” Kai asked. The man pursed his lips and bowed his head, “I’m sorry sir, Mr. Park strictly forbid us to tell his whereabouts to anyone.”

“I’m Kim Kai, his friend. You can even call him right now and verify that I know him personally.” He insisted.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kim. We’re just following his orders.”

Kai ran his fingers through his dark locks, taking a deep breath. “Then maybe you can give me his contact number? Anything. Any means of communication.”

The man shook his head, and Kai cursed under his breath before calling Sehun back to tell him what is happening.

 

 

Unknown to Kai, the person he was looking for wasn’t too far. In fact he was also in the same place, but at the same he’s not. The person they were searching for doesn’t want to be found. Instead, he too, wanted to look for a missing person, the person who took the smile from his lips, the spark in his eyes and the emotions from his heart. He was left alone—cornered, helpless and deeply hurt. Thus he ran away to find a way to get back on his feet.

Taking careful steps on the golden tiled floor, the man made his way in front of the familiar door. The people whom he asked to open the place were now waiting for him outside to give him the key card. He took it and they disappeared from his sight.

The small yet cozy place has so many memories. As he stepped inside, he let his eyes wander to every corner of the pad, going back in time where there used to be a small brunette pacing around the place—from the living room, to the kitchen, and even on that stairs that led to his bed. It brought him back to the time where he pushed his way inside, drunk and wasted, begging for him to take him back. He remembered their first time in this place. He remembered a lot that it pains him so much more than it’s supposed to.

 

His presence is stranger to this place. Because Baekhyun’s pad was stuck in time while he—as the man who had to be both stone and ice to survive—had changed over the time. He was no longer the CEO of his family’s company, stuck in everyday office life and only getting his inspiration from the illustrator next door. He was no longer his family’s heir and certainly not their son. Instead—he became a renowned personality. A person who boomed from nothing—a man whose face was hidden from the public but has a name worth of a rare diamond.

The owner and chairman of Blue Palace—Clyde Park.

Chanyeol was buried in the past—but he was still the same man whose heart burns and yearns for a certain person’s warmth and love. He was the same man whose world was destroyed, but chose to take baby steps to rise up again.

He did those things full of effort. When Chanyeol left everyone behind, he chased his goal. He needed to rise from dirt—from the slums where they threw him at. Chanyeol sought knowledge and looked for the right person to ask for help.

He went to America and approached his elder cousin, Junmyeon. The said man was a successful businessman himself and also, one of his closest relatives. He asked for help and help he got.

For two years, Chanyeol took advance classes in the field he really wanted to pursue as a child. He studied pure Architecture subjects. His background in business gave him the idea of building Blue Palace. He borrowed a lot of money from Junmyeon, who generously gave him because he believed that Chanyeol could pull it through. Junmyeon believed in his ability.

With his own design, Blue Palace Mall was built in Gangnam and gained a lot of praises and attention. With Junmyeon’s influence, many designer stores asked for a slot in it and gradually, Chanyeol managed to pay Junmyeon back with all the things he had done for him.

“I couldn’t believe that you’ll be this successful Chanyeol—“

“Clyde,” he interrupted. He never wanted to hear that name from anyone else until he find his missing person.

Junmyeon smiled sympathetically but obliged, “I’m proud of you Clyde.”

“It’s all thanks to you.”

“It’s your determination, and talent. You don’t owe me anything anymore. You gave back all the money I spent on you with interest.” Junmyeon had chuckled back then. “From here on, the whole profit is yours.”

With a winning smirk, Clyde Park bid goodbye to the elder and left America for good.

 

“Five years,” he whispered to himself, finger tracking the backrest of the sofa set in the living room. “Five years and I’m dying to see you, Baek…” he murmured. He brought up one hand to his chest, fingers barely touching the white gold band hanging around his neck. With his eyes closed, Clyde took a deep breath.

“I’m going to take your things out of here princess.” He said to wind, “I’m going to take them home.”

Clyde turned his heels around, catching his reflection on the mirror hanging on one of the pillars. He gazed at his own pair of eyes, coated by gray contact lenses. He matured overtime, but many people still says that he didn’t look like thirty years old.

Light was reflected on the necklace he was wearing. Because of his navy blue sweatshirt, it stood out more than it should. It was the only thing that could soften him. The only reminder of the love he shared with Baekhyun.

And as he left the place with a soft click of the door’s lock, he bid goodbye to the past and opted to continue searching for his lost half.

 

 

_____

 

London, England

“Young master, please, you have to eat,” begged the muffled voice outside the luxurious room. However, the person on the other side turned his ears deaf by ignoring her, like almost every day. All they received was silence, and once again, the tray of food they prepared for him was left cold and untouched by the feet of the bedroom’s door.

Meanwhile, inside, the said young master was too engrossed in his activity to care about his rumbling stomach and heed their maid’s pleas. With paint stained hands he held the brush firmly between his fingers, applying the final touches on the 30x40 inches canvas he’s working on. The light color which served as the last highlights of his new painting created the life on the hyperrealism art.

When he was done, he admired the picture of the golden carriage under the moonlight. He was satisfied after a month of creating it.

He put down the brush before taking a smaller one. He dipped its tip on the pure white paint before signing on the lower corner.

Ella.

Just then, the door of the room slammed open, but it didn’t even startle the owner anymore. He expected his uncle’s arrival since he missed lunch for the third time that week.

“Kristian, are you trying to kill yourself?” he started. Lifting his chin, the said man met the elder’s worried yet angry gaze. Kevin felt the chills crawl in his every bone.

“No, I’m not.” His nephew said in flat note. He then turned his head away, looking at his masterpiece without another word.

It left Kevin no choice but to leave the room before frostbites starts forming on his fingers.