Chapter 17: In his Blood

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 17

In his Blood

 

Pacing back and forth in the hotel room, Kevin studied the files sent to him last night about the Lu family. Limei was indeed, a close friend of his late sister in law. Based on her records, she was Chaehyun's classmate since elementary when the latter went to Beijing to study. And when they decided to take their tertiary in England, both of them applied in Julliard. 

Even when the two of them had a family of their own, they never failed to hang out together. When Luhan and Kristian were born, they played together and grew like they were real brothers. As much as Limei loved her son, she never treated Kristian any less and vice versa. 

Luhan and Kristian went in the same school. They were glued to each other's hips and no wonder why in each class picture, the two of them would always sit or stand beside one another.

 

Taking a deep breath, Kevin put the files down and sat on the beige couch. It really is possible that after the incident, Kristian went to Limei and his son for help. They became his second family and if Kristian, by then, has no courage to come to his grandfather, no doubt that he would look for the Lu's. 

Kevin would only have to make sure to convince Luhan or perhaps his mother, to tell him the truth just in case they really know Kristian's whereabouts.

He only hoped for the best. 

 

____

 

 

Coming from another meeting for today, Chanyeol only wanted to rest, at least, for an hour inside his office, alone, or better yet, alone with his lover. But what he didn't ask for was another personification of stress--

Chanyeol, right after recovering from the initial shock, made a beeline towards the woman sitting on his chair. She even had the courage to mischievously grin at him, probably from the satisfaction of catching him off guard.

"Jennie."

It wasn't even an acknowledgement of her presence, but a sigh of exasperation with the underlying tone of warning. Chanyeol wasn't in the mood to face anyone right now, let alone this woman, whom he thought would never appear again. 

Jennie hopped off the leather seat with a bounce, rounding the table with his newly manicured fingers drumming on the surface of the wood. 

"Why are you not happy to see me, Yeol?" Jennie pouts, reaching out for Chanyeol's tie to play with it. "I said that I'll be back right?"

Chanyeol caught her fragile wrists in his large hands, yanking it away from him. "Honestly, I wasn't waiting, and I don't care."

Smirking, she tilted her head and sighed, "This is what I love about you, Yeol. You're a heartless man." She took her hand back, crossing her arms on her chest. "And I am lucky enough to be affianced to a man like you. What would people say? That I, Jennie Kim, managed to melt the one and only Park Chanyeol. I would be a goddess in public's eyes." She giggled.

"For one last time, Jennie," Chanyeol closed his eyes in frustration, "the engagement is not valid because I didn't approve of it."

"But our fathers did," Jennie smiled, "And you don't want to disappoint your father right?" 

 

Jennie was right. Chanyeol never wanted to disappoint his father. But it doesn't mean that he would sacrifice his happiness for him. He let them rule his life, even to the career he was going to take after he finished school. Chanyeol had done enough for the family. If he's going to marry somebody, it has to be the person he chose for himself. And he couldn't see anyone aside from Baekhyun taking that place in his life.

"Father might not approve, but I still get to choose whom I want to spend the rest of my life with. And that..." Chanyeol narrowed his eyes, "is never going to be you."

 

Jennie hates losing. She always makes sure that she would always have the advantage in every situation. That is why when Chanyeol deliberately embarrassed her she showed him that she was not yet done. Jennie pulled the CEO with his necktie, pulling him down to latch their lips together. 

To Chanyeol's misfortune, just before he could even push her away, the door to his office opened after a few knocks, revealing Baekhyun who, after realizing what he just saw, dropped his gaze and excused himself.

 

____

 

 

Baekhyun was used to being chased if it comes to Chanyeol. Ever since, it was Chanyeol who makes the first move to make it up to him. But he knew that it shouldn't be like that. When he walked out from him last night, they haven't talked properly about what happened. Baekhyun wasn't expecting Chanyeol to disregard his work just to talk to him first so he understood why the CEO didn't come to him that morning.

When Seulgi told Sehun that Chanyeol has a guest, he didn't really pay much attention to it. However, it has been an hour since it happened and he thought that they are probably done by now. In fact, it's already time for them to go home. 

During the days when Chanyeol has to work overtime like today, it became a habit for Baekhyun to tell him that he'd be waiting in the car. But as soon as he opened the door after knocking, he felt his whole body froze as he saw Chanyeol with a woman.

Kissing him.

It was one of the longest five seconds of his life. Baekhyun was totally shaken from what he saw that he couldn't bear to stay there any longer. He knew that he doesn't have the right to react like that and it would be suspicious for whoever that girl was. But deep inside, he knew  Chanyeol would get why  he left like that.

Soon enough, just as he presumed, he heard Chanyeol calling his name as he ran towards the elevator. It's quite funny to think that they always chase each other, and each of those times, they ended up in elevator. 

"Baekhyun, wait for me. Let me explain," Chanyeol's voice reverberated in the hallway but it was too late as Baekhyun managed to get in the lift, and it closed before Chanyeol could even stop it. He might not saw his princess' face but he had a glimpse of his glassy eyes. That was the first time Chanyeol wanted to punch himself so bad.

 

 

Right after Baekhyun sat in the farthest seat of the bus, he got a call from Luhan. He made sure to clear his throat first so Luhan wouldn't notice him crying but all his effort were in vain when his friend asked him if he was okay.

"I saw you walking out of the building, crying. What happened, Baek?"

Baekhyun fought a sniffle, blinking away the new batch of tears. "I-I don't want to talk about it."

He knew how Luhan was overprotective of him and he didn't want him to know what happened. He was sure that Luhan will oversee that Chanyeol was his boss if it comes to private things like this. But he should've known that the elder will not let it go until Baekhyun spill the beans.

"That's it. I'm going home early for today. You'll stay with me tonight."

"Luhan I am fine. I can handle myself." he insisted, though the world to Baekhyun started to shrink for him.

"Do not argue with me," Luhan reprimanded, taking his things and using the elevator since the lift was full. He passed through the crowd, hoping to get out of the building just in time. "You know the way to my place right? Go straight there and wait for me, I'll be quick."

"Luhan--"

"Do as I say, Kristian!"

Baekhyun felt like his lungs were squeezed. He couldn't breathe and the image of Chanyeol kissing that woman replays over and over like a ing broken disc. It was the same back then, seeing how his father kissed another woman in front of the altar. It was so painful, it's burning and he just wanted to scream.

Trembling, Baekhyun braced himself, wrapping his arms around him as if he's going to shatter any time soon. When he closed his eyes, taking deep breaths and long exhales, he tried to remember Dr. Zhang's advice if he ever experienced a sudden panic attack.

 

____

 

Luhan asked for valet parking so he could get inside the building as soon as possible. He got scared when Baekhyun suddenly ended the call and ignored him when he tried to call him back. He had only released the air he didn't know he was holding when he saw him sitting in the lobby, earphones on and obviously exhausted.

Baekhyun had this distant look in his unblinking eyes while he was preoccupied with music. His ashen face had traces of tears, lips swollen probably from constant nipping. Luhan took long strides towards him, reaching out to feel his forehead.

“Baek,” he called the other, realizing that he was burning up. “Baek, come on let’s go to my place.” Luhan took his hand in his, pulling him up. But Baekhyun suddenly came back to his senses, snatching his hand back. He noticed Luhan beside him, as if he only just saw him now when in fact, Luhan was there a couple of seconds ago.

“H-Hey,” Baekhyun’s voice cracked. Taking off his earphones, the younger stood, pushing his hair up with a hand, “I just came to tell you that I am fine.”

Luhan frowned, searching the younger’s eyes. Before, he could always see what’s bothering him just by looking at them, but now, Luhan couldn’t even pinpoint what he was thinking. “Baek, you are burning up. At least stay the night here.”

Baekhyun tried to weigh the situation for a second. If he stays with Luhan tonight then he’d have the space he secretly seeks. He didn’t want to see Chanyeol for now and he was sure that the CEO would not let him get away. Baekhyun knows that he needed a break. Maybe the idea wasn’t so bad at all.

“Okay,” Baekhyun smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. “Just for tonight.”

 

_____

 

Instead of going to the 21st floor like he normally does whenever he visits Chanyeol, Sehun stepped out of the lift in the 7th. On his right hand was a paper bag of brandies he brought from his own stash. A few hours ago, Chanyeol called him and ranted about what happened with Jennie. Sehun knew that would cause trouble. Of course, he tried his best chasing her out before Chanyeol arrives but she didn't listen. It was just so unfortunate for his hyung to be pushed in the edge when Baekhyun accidentally witnessed the scene he wasn't supposed to see.

But technically speaking, Chanyeol was bound to tell him sooner or later. He chose Baekhyun to be his other half. And for them to work out, Chanyeol should tell him the truth about Jennie.

He found the door to Baekhyun's pad. His friend chose to stay there instead, hoping for his lover to come home. What he didn't know, Luhan had already talked to him on the phone, telling him that Baekhyun will stay with him. Sehun clearly remembered his boyfriend asking him to talk to Chanyeol, because Baekhyun was really upset and they needed to talk soon.

 

Ringing the bell, Sehun waited for the elder to open the door. What greeted him was Chanyeol's dishevelled look. Buttons undone, no tie, and hair sticking to every direction. Sehun sighed, placing the paper bag on the coffee table. "Hyung, staying here won't help you. Baekhyun will be at Luhan's place tonight."

Chanyeol's sigh was too audible not to notice. His shoulders sagged upon receiving the news. Thinking that nothing will happen even if he begged his princess to come home, Chanyeol decided to just sit by the sofa and open the Black Label Sehun brought for him. 

The younger sat beside him right after getting some wine glass from the kitchen. It was ridiculous to drink inside Baekhyun's pad but Chanyeol insisted. He said that he wanted to sleep on Baekhyun's bed. Good for him, Baekhyun got him an extra key card. 

After a few sips, Chanyeol took another deep breath, leaning against the foot of the sofa. "Jennie is using father against me." he said, "She's still confident about his promise of marrying me to her."

Sehun scoffed, "Conceited ."

"I know," Chanyeol chuckled bitterly. "I am tired Sehun. I've done everything to please them. Why do they want to control every part of my life?"

Sehun felt sorry for Chanyeol. He never knew such burden because his parents never forced him to anything like how the elder's folks do. But he thinks that Chanyeol has the right to fight for his right. Ever since a child, in everything he does, he did it for his parents. Now, he was old enough for him to choose what he wanted for his life, specifically, whom he wanted to be with.

"Hyung, I know it's unfair. But nothing will happen if you won't talk to uncle. As far as I know, auntie is okay with anyone you like as long as she will get a grandchild."

Chanyeol poured himself another half a glass of the drink, "Mother wants a grandchild, and father wanted someone with special background, or with social status. Baekhyun has neither of them as far as I know. He's a simple man with talent, sassy tongue and big heart." Chanyeol said while thinking about his princess, "Yet compared to any diamonds out there, he shines the brightest. He's warmer than fire, he's tender like an angel, but he's also as fragile as glass." the CEO looked at his friend with exhausted gaze, "I love him Sehun. I don't want anyone but him."

The younger nodded. He knows, he understands, and he will help the elder through this. But before that, Chanyeol has to help himself if he wanted to stay with Baekhyun.

"You know, in order for you to have him, you'll have to sacrifice a lot." Sehun said, "Your family, once they knew about you and him, they will do any means to break you apart. If you are serious with Baekhyun, you'll have to protect him from Jennie and from your parents, especially from uncle. There's also this threat that you might lose the company. Uncle could use it against you. Do you understand how serious this is?"

Of course, he knew. But how could he stop himself from loving the younger? He breathes him. Chanyeol would go crazy if Baekhyun leaves him.

As he confirmed Sehun's question, the younger added another burden on his shoulders. 

"Then you'll also have to talk to him. Baekhyun deserves the truth about Jennie's identity. He deserves to know about your situation too."

"I think Baekhyun already knows about the consequences in choosing us. He considered everything before saying yes to me. I just owe him an explanation about what happened with Jennie."

Sehun sighed, "You do that, hyung. I'm sure he'll understand."

"But what about the thing with Kevin? I think he was still upset over it."

"Hyung, it won't hurt to tell him the truth. If you're uncomfortable with it then just say that Kevin betrayed your trust. Isn't that the truth anyway? You'll just leave the details behind."

Chanyeol considered Sehun's suggestion. He was right. He’ll just have to wait for Baekhyun and find the right time to talk to him.

 

____

 

Taking care of Baekhyun in his fragile state brought back unwanted memories from the past. Luhan and Baekhyun might be born in the same year, but he has always been the "elder" between the two. They were like twins, as Luhan would like to pretend to be when they are younger. They learned to crawl together, learned to speak their first words together, they grew up side by side. Even when they were born from different womb, the bond they have is not just between friends, but brothers.

As Luhan sat beside an unconscious Baekhyun, making sure that the towel on his forehead was changed every ten minutes, his mind wandered elsewhere. It started from their escapades when they were kids. Being with Baekhyun, with Kristian, was like an everyday adventure. Kristian was an outgoing kid, despite of his hobby to paint. Everyone likes him because he's kind and he's smart. But it came with naughtiness that no one could bear to hate. 

When Kristian's mother was diagnosed with heart complication, he was one of the witnesses on how his once bright eyes dimmed and his sweet smile turns into bitterness. Even as Kristian tried to pretend he was fine, in his early age 10, his best friend already lost his shine. 

On the last month before his Aunt Chaehyun died, Kristian didn't go to school. Luhan made sure to visit him at least twice a week. But because he was busy with his mom, or he was asleep beside her bed, Luhan never had a chance to talk to him.

And then the time came when his Aunt Chaehyun has to go. Kristian wreaked havoc, screaming and calling for his mother. They chased him out of her room, disregarding the feelings of a son wanting to see his mother one last time.

Since then, Kristian became a walking doll—barely alive and just living for nothing. His only solitude was his room, his canvas and his paints. No one could separate him from them. This is the age where Kristian's talent bloomed. 

It was like a flower that lived from loneliness and tears.

 

When they turned eleven, Luhan remembered his Uncle Karlile remarrying. He couldn't remember the woman, because by then, he and his mother barely visit the Heinsworth Manor anymore. He and Kristian would and could only meet at school. Even so, he was aware that Kristian was having a hard time, though the younger was not talking about it. 

He was still mourning over his mother's death. And yet his father didn't think twice choosing another woman to marry.

 

 

Luhan listened to the story earlier while they were eating dinner. Baekhyun talked about the woman he saw in Chanyeol's office and how he caught them kissing. If it was any other man, he was sure that he would have already given the guy a piece of him. But Chanyeol was his boss and as much as he hated him for what happened, he chose to call Sehun to talk to his friend.

Maybe Baekhyun relived the past seeing the two of them. Maybe, what he felt was the same as what he felt back then, causing him to have such a bad reaction. 

He felt so sorry for the younger and hated himself for not being able to help him right now. 

 

Putting the basin of cold water aside, Luhan took the other side of the bed, lying beside him. He took Baekhyun's warm hands under the duvet, wishing him good night and sweet dreams.

 

The next time he opened his eyes, he found himself alone in the bedroom. He thought Baekhyun left without saying goodbye, but the sound of the utensils from his kitchen said otherwise. When he went out of his room, still yawning and rubbing his eyes, his friend has already prepared fried rice and omelette.

“Why didn’t you wake me up,” Luhan pouted, taking one of the high stools to sit by the kitchen island.

Baekhyun chuckled, his eyes lighting up as he placed two glasses of orange juice on the counter. Unlike yesterday, he’s so full of life and color. It’s as if nothing happened. “Well, you’re drooling on your pillow, I wouldn’t want to disturb you.” Baekhyun winked at him.

“I wasn’t drooling!” Luhan exclaimed, but checked the corners of his mouth anyway to see if he did. Baekhyun laughed at him, much to his annoyance. Yet even though they bickered a lot while they ate their breakfast, Luhan would prefer Baekhyun like this every day.

 

_____

 

Baekhyun assumed that Chanyeol would spend the night in his pad. But what he didn’t expect were the empty bottles of alcohol on the coffee table. With a sigh, Baekhyun dropped his bag on the couch, taking the stairs to see if the other was sleeping on the bed. He wasn’t wrong. The CEO was sprawled on the mattress, still wearing his office clothes yesterday.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Baekhyun took another deep breath, reaching out to caress Chanyeol’s face. Even in his sleep, he could see the frustration of the elder. Was he worried about him? Was he upset that he didn’t come home? Why did he drink? Why did he sleep here?

It was as if Chanyeol sensed his presence, the CEO stirred from his sleep, mumbling Baekhyun’s name. It made him smile, albeit deep inside Baekhyun felt a pinch of pain.

He decided to make a hangover soup for Chanyeol. It’s still early so he’ll have a few hours of preparing it.

 

 

When Chanyeol woke up, it was almost eleven in the morning. His head hurts like hell, and his body ached from the awkward position he had when sleeping. Although, what greeted him in the kitchen wasn’t even in the list of consideration before he fell asleep.

Baekhyun was there, tasting something from the casserole using the wooden spatula. He was still in jeans and sweatshirt, with a beige apron tied around his waist. As he turned around, meeting his gaze, Baekhyun didn’t seem surprised. He pointed at the dining table asking him to sit while he prepared a bowl for him.

The soup was still hot when it was served. Though a part of him wanted to eat already, he was more preoccupied with Baekhyun’s presence in the room. He didn’t look so upset anymore, but Chanyeol learned that the younger was too damn good hiding his feelings like this.

He couldn’t trust what he sees.

Instead of taking a sip, Chanyeol used the spoon by constantly mixing and stirring the soup in the bowl, eyes fixed on the vegetables in it. “After what happened, you still cooked this for me.” He whispered. “I would understand if you kicked me out in my pathetic state.”

Baekhyun pursed his lips as he leaned against the chair’s backrest. He was sitting in front of the elder, watching him play with the food. “Eat Chanyeol, it’s going to get cold.”

“Please hear me out, princess,” Chanyeol plead, letting go of the spoon. He cupped his own face in frustration, head still aching from too much drinking. “It’s not what it looks like. Believe me…”

Baekhyun’s gaze was breath-taking, as far as Chanyeol observes. When he met his eyes, Chanyeol felt like staring at it forever. But it holds the mystery of his thoughts, the CEO couldn’t tell what is in his mind. Yet when he spoke, it took him by surprise.

“You don’t have to explain things to me, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun stated calmly, “I may not know who she is, or who she was to you, but I think I got a hint of her place in your life.” Baekhyun leaned forward, lacing his fingers together as his hands clasped. “She’s someone your parents expect to have as their daughter in law, am I right?” he smiled a bit.

Chanyeol opened his mouth to ask how he knew but Baekhyun beat him to it. “I kind of figured it out myself. It’s not surprising, in fact. You’re wealthy, famous and…desirable. People will expect a lot from you, especially your folks.”

“Baekhyun—“

“Chanyeol, before I agreed to be with you I already considered this to happen. That is why I wasn’t good with the idea of us coming out to the public.” Baekhyun interrupted once again. “I just didn’t think that it would happen this early…”

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun blinked his pretty lashes, trying to hide the tears that he already saw. “I would understand if…if you would end things between us, I mean—“

“No.” he quickly said, “I don’t have any intention of ending us.” Chanyeol stated, catching Baekhyun off guard. Chanyeol’s eyes darkened as he spoke, “Nor will I let you do it for me.”

“But Chanyeol—“

“Since you already know who she is, I will cut what I have to say to the part where I will tell my parents that I am not going to do as they please.” Chanyeol stood and walked towards him, dragging Baekhyun’s chair to face him before kneeling. The CEO took his hand in his larger ones, tilting his chin up to meet his gaze once more. “Baekhyun, they can throw anyone on my face, but I will always have my eyes on you.”

Baekhyun bit his lower lip, trying hard to stop it from trembling. “They can ruin my life, take my inheritance, remove me from the company, I won’t give a , because princess, It’s you whom I only want. I don’t want anything—“ Chanyeol bowed his head, watching as how their hands fit so good together, “—anyone, other than you.” He continued, “So don’t give up on me…” Chanyeol whispered, “Please don’t walk away from me, princess.”

Baekhyun took his hands back, scaring Chanyeol for a second until he felt those warm hands cupping his face. He once again met Baekhyun’s glassy eyes, and it was like gravity that pulled him closer to it, “Chanyeol, I don’t want to be the reason why you will defy your parents,”

“Baek, if what I will have from disobeying them is you, I don’t ing care.” Chanyeol insisted. “You’re my happiness, you don’t know how much color you gave in my life. Baekhyun please understand.” Chanyeol brought his hands to his lips, kissing it, blessing it with his tears. “Please understand that I am willing to fight for you. That I am not ashamed of being with you. They can talk all they want, for all I care, but in the end, it’s my life. It’s our life.”

Baekhyun wiped his tears, disliking Chanyeol’s crestfallen state already. “I love you, Baekhyun and I love you deeper each day. You don’t know how much feelings I’ve invested…” Chanyeol cried. “I am just a man, Baek…and I’m begging you, to please…” Chanyeol surrendered as Baekhyun wrapped his arms around him and pulled him in his embrace, “Please fight for me too…”

 

Baekhyun fought hard not to cry, but it was so hard when Chanyeol told him those things. He apologized over and over, kissing the crown of Chanyeol’s head as he promised that he will not leave him.

Yes, it would be unfair for Chanyeol if he’ll leave him just because Baekhyun thought it was the right thing to do. He should consider his feelings, he should consider their happiness.

 If Baekhyun could handle the pain of losing Chanyeol just to make things “right”, then Chanyeol could not. His strength is Baekhyun, and if the latter would fight with him, then he’s not afraid to go against the world—to go against the norms.

Who cares about what they think of him? So what if he’s just Byun Baekhyun, Oh Sehun’s illustrator who, without Chanyeol’s help, would not be able to be in this place? So what if he’s not the person people expected Chanyeol to choose? Who are they to judge him?

They are just two hearts that beat as one. They are just human, who has their own flaws.

Baekhyun hugged Chanyeol tenderly, opening his eyes as he gathered himself.

He will not let Chanyeol go. No, he’ll not be afraid if they stepped on him, if they mocked his status in life. They could call him names, call him pathetic, social climber, seducer, or whatever it is that’s in stock after they find out he’s Park Chanyeol’s.

Baekhyun knows that he’s more than that.

It runs in his blood.