Chapter 20: When Midnight Strikes

I'm Not Your Cinderella

a.n.: okay first of all sorry for the delay > < i got busy with life, yeah what's new lmao. anyway, i gotta warn you guys with this chapter. honestly, what happened here is a spur of a moment thing. i thought i should stop with dilly dallying the turning point of the story. so yep, i hope this is not rushed for you guys, and i hope you are all prepared. (*but i think i prepared u guys enufff >3<) .

p.s. oh if this is a cliffhanger then, you should get used to it by now. hehe >:D (excuse my grammar mistakes, this is unbeta-ed)

disclaimer: (*i know so little about social status in England, so please excuse me if I'm wrong, it's fiction, so let's just assume)

 

 

Chapter 20

When Midnight Strikes

 

Because they both wanted privacy without worrying about watchful eyes and keen ears, Kevin asked his driver to drive the both of them by the Han River. He asked him to leave them alone so they could talk. Throughout the ride, Kristian didn't utter a word. He simply went inside the car with him, fiddle with his phone a bit, before escaping into his own world.

Not even the silence could break the wall the Kristian instantly built between them. All of the previous fun and memories they had, even in a short time, seemed to disappear as if it didn't exist at all. The friendship that could have stayed between Baekhyun and Kevin was shattered by the cruel reality.

It took a couple of minutes before Kevin decided to break the silence, figuring that Kristian wouldn't start a conversation anyway. They sat side by side at the back of the car, but Kevin felt like his nephew was still miles away from him. Truth to be told, he felt closer to him when the truth was still hidden inside the identity of Byun Baekhyun.

"Please talk to me, Kristian." Kevin said softly, but what came out from the younger's lips weren't expected at all.

"If you want to talk to me, don't call me by that name." his voice sharp and hard. 

Kevin winced a bit, swallowing the lump forming on his throat. "Okay," he sighed, "But I think you owe me an explanation why you didn't tell me that you're my nephew, when you recognized me in the first place."

Baekhyun took time to answer, and through it, he never once looked at the elder male. "I left with the purpose of not coming back again." 

"You shouldn't have ran away in the first place," Kevin said, trying to get the younger to look at him, but Baekhyun was stubborn. He kept his eyes on the back of the passenger's seat. "You just--you just disappeared, without a word, without saying goodbye, without anything. I don't want to scold you, I don't intend to, but I just want you to know that you could have told us. You should have depended on us." 

 

 

Baekhyun never thought that he would lose his composure. But with all of the feelings mixing at once, and the thoughts swimming inside his head, he knew himself that he doesn't have to explain why he left. He doesn't have to relive the memories he chose to forget and no one has the right to tell him what he should have done.

"I might have been young back then, but I am not stupid," Baekhyun hissed, "You don't know how I felt when mother died. I felt so hollow. And you know what's worse? Dad remarried without asking me if I am fine with it. He just did it, thinking it's the best for me." 

With tears threatening to fall, he looked at his uncle for the first time since they started talking. And that time Kevin couldn't look away from those glassy orbs. They him in, they are screaming at him. How ironic it was, for Baekhyun remained soft-spoken, albeit the fact that in every word that left his tongue wasn't short with hatred, sadness, and loneliness of an abandoned child.

"Where were you that time uncle? Where is grandpa?" Baekhyun asked, his eyes red, and now streaming with crystalline tears. "When I needed someone to be there for me, were you there? When mother died, did you come back to see if I'm doing fine?" Shaking his head, Baekhyun said between gritted teeth, "Not even your shadow was seen in those times. I didn't even get a call from you. How could you ask me to depend on you, when you didn't even let me feel that you were behind me to catch me when I fall?"

 

Kevin wanted to reach out to the younger, tell him he's sorry. He wanted to explain how much he regretted not being there. As much as he desired to do so, he stopped himself, for he knew it wouldn't be enough. It won't wash away his nephew's pain, it won't erase things that happened and it won't change the past. The only thing that he was able to say, was the word that would only be uttered when everything is too late. 

"I'm sorry..." Kevin said. "I'm sorry Kristian..."

 

Baekhyun sobbed, covering his mouth to muffle his cries as he shook his head. He doesn't want to hear those words because it only brings him painful memories. It reminds him of the hate he harboured for his Dad and the regret that came after he realized he lost him before he could say sorry. He remembered the last time he was with him, how he screamed at him saying that he hates him for choosing that hateful woman to be his second mother--

"She will never be my mom! I only have one mother!"

"Watch your words, young man!" 

"I hate you! I wish you were the one who died instead!" 

 

"I don't need your sorry. It's useless, uncle. Just as useless as the apologies that I chanted like a prayer when Dad died. Yes, I've had my own share of suffering and you felt bad, but I think that it's just right for me because I'm not as innocent as you think I am--"

"Why?" Kevin interjected, having the idea of what Baekhyun was thinking, "Because of the fact that Yoora used you to kill my brother?" 

Baekhyun's blood had gone cold. His eyes widened and his body froze mid-act. The elder realized that he might have taken that the wrong way, so he grabbed Baekhyun's shoulders, locked their eyes and said, "You didn't kill him, Kristian. You are innocent. You didn't know what Yoora was doing, and thus you were just used."

Baekhyun shook his head, "N-no...I-I was the one who--"

"It doesn't mean that if you're the one handing it to your father, you're the one killing him. You didn't know Kristian! You're oblivious to the fact that Yoora was changing his medications." 

 

It must have been the trigger why Kristian thought that he should leave. It was one thing that he felt abandoned. But the fact that he blamed himself for his father's death is another. And then Yoora just have to steal all that should have been his, Kristian felt even more useless.

"Look at me, Kristian," Kevin whispered, cupping the younger's cheeks, "you are not responsible for what happened. And I am sorry, if we made you feel alone in those times. I'm sorry, if I wasn't there when you needed me. I'm sorry Kristian, I know I'm at fault."

Kevin wiped the salty tears as his nephew sobbed on his hands. "I'm sorry if I just found you today, I'm sorry I'm late..."

The elder didn't know that he'd be able to embrace his lost nephew after nine longing years. But now that he's back in his arms, he was willing to give him everything that he deserves. He'd be his father, his mother, his brother and even his friend if he has to. He wanted to make up with the lost time they have been apart. Because Kevin didn't have a family of his own, Kristian became his main priority, like he was his own son. 

"Just tell me anything, I'd do it for you, just please, come back home..." Kevin nuzzled close to his nephews soft locks. "Come back to us." 

 

__

 

 

It has been almost an hour since Baekhyun left, and Chanyeol couldn't even reach him in his phone. He knew that Baekhyun went to the market, but he knows it wouldn't take his lover that long to buy food. He's ready to leave to check where Baekhyun might have gone, dressed in casual jeans and tees when the door of his pad opened. Baekhyun was carrying two bags of groceries, face oddly bloated while his eyes and nose were puffy and red.

"What happened?" was Chanyeol's first words to him. Baekhyun looked, surprised to see Chanyeol awake. Ah, he must have taken quite a time and the giant got worried. But even when Chanyeol's brows were creased, when his hair is unmade, he's still handsome and his presence brought him the feeling of safety. 

Seeing him after all that has happened earlier somehow soothes the wound that Kevin reordered.

"You're awake, I'm sorry I took longer than usual--"

Chanyeol cut him off by cupping his chin, tilting it up to look at his face, "Have you been crying?" he asked in worry.

"No--I--" Baekhyun sighed, "Yes, I was." 

"Why? Tell me what happened" Chanyeol took the bags from his hands, taking it to the kitchen counter in few but big strides. As Baekhyun sat on the sofa, he went back to him and put his arms around his shoulders. Chanyeol rubbed his hands up and down on Baekhyun’s shoulder’s, waiting for him to start.

It took time before Baekhyun speaks. It’s as if, he’s finding the right words to say and the right way to begin. “Did you ever wonder about my family, Chanyeol?” he asked, tilting his head up to face the elder. “I mean, when you went to my previous house, you clearly curious why I’m alone. Have you ever wondered about my parents?”

Humming, Chanyeol nodded once. “Of course I did. I honestly was waiting for you to open up about them, but you never did.” Chanyeol met Baekhyun’s gaze and leaned closer, pressing a kiss against his temple. “I thought that maybe it’s a very sensitive topic for you. I mean,” Chanyeol shrugged, “You wouldn’t live alone in that small apartment if you didn’t have any problems with your folks.”

Baekhyun grinned at Chanyeol, “That’s quite thoughtful of my giant,” he giggled and pinched the elder’s nose. “But yes,” Baekhyun confirmed, “It’s very sensitive. But I thought I should tell you. At least the background of it…”

It took time before Baekhyun could start, and Chanyeol wished that he could wipe those unshed tears away from his lover’s used to be strong-willed and smiling eyes.

 

"I saw my uncle today," Baekhyun finally said, after a couple of minutes, thinking if he should at least give the man something. At least, an explanation, if he couldn't tell him every single detail of his encounter with Kevin. "He used to be my favorite person, you know. He's the only uncle I had, but I felt him more as an elder brother." Baekhyun continued with a sad smile on his face. He met Chanyeol's serious gaze, and because the CEO remained tight-lipped, he took it as a cue to continue.

"I told you that "family" is a sensitive topic for me right?" Baekhyun tilted his head at the CEO and the latter nodded, entwining their fingers while holding his hand, "that's because I was orphaned at the age of thirteen." 

This time, Chanyeol couldn't hide the shock on his face. Baekhyun squeezed his hand as reassurance that he's fine. "I lost my mom when I was ten, she died from heart complications. Honestly speaking, I was a mama's boy." Baekhyun giggled upon remembering the old days. "I'm attached to her hip from dawn to dusk. They say that I couldn't sleep without her tucking me in and singing a lullaby to me," he looked at his lover and said, "It's such a shame to say goodbye to her that early."

"I-I'm sorry princess, I didn't know that you--"

"It's okay," Baekhyun shook his head, "There's nothing to be sorry about. All I want you to do is to listen, Chanyeol. You've chosen me as your other half, and it's just right for me to let you know about myself. Even just a background of it..." Baekhyun paused when he realized that he's not being completely honest at all, so he added, "for now..."

 

Chanyeol thought that his princess was so brave and strong to talk about this. Though there's evidence of unshed tears in his eyes, Baekhyun kept on smiling. He loved his mother too much, he realized. Even for a short time they spent together, Baekhyun seemed to realize her importance in his life. 

For a ten years old? Of course losing a mother is vital.

"Then, a year after, my dad remarried," Baekhyun whispered. "And he told me about it after he and his new woman planned the wedding." Baekhyun bit his lower lip as one bead of tears traced his left cheek. "They did it purposely so I couldn't object anymore." he scoffed, "It wouldn't even make a difference if I did. I'm just a kid."

"Don't say that," Chanyeol frowned, "It's your right to have a say in it."

"But they didn't respect that, did they?" Baekhyun said. "So ever since then," he took a breather, "I loathed my father."

 

For the first time in six months of knowing Baekhyun, he had never seen his face darkened like this. His eyes turning sharp as the edge of a knife, his lips thinned into a line, and his jaws clenching. Chanyeol didn't like it one bit. He would rather have Baekhyun laughing or smiling. He had seen him once in a neutral state, he had seen him cry or be insensitive. But this, Baekhyun's anger, is different. Chanyeol wouldn't want to get to that side of his lover.

"I hated him for a long time. I cursed at him silently, I-I wished...for him to die." he croaked, "I swear, Chanyeol, I became my own demon back then." With all his strength, Baekhyun carried on, “I am such an ungrateful bastard.”

“You’re not Baekhyun. Do not say that,” Chanyeol interrupted. “Whatever you might have felt back then, it was just a proof that you are human and we are allowed to feel. You might be regretful of what you might have wished, or done, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’ve been hurt enough to push you on that point. You were young. And when we’re young, we are not in our right minds. We’re not mature enough to think what’s right and what’s wrong. We let our emotions guide us to what we do. And that is a part of growing Baekhyun.” Chanyeol pulled his lover in his arms, tucking his head under his chin, with his frame being the wings that brought comfort to the younger. “I hope you understand that…”

Baekhyun couldn’t fight his tears anymore. He let himself be cradled as rivers of saline beads wet his lover’s tee. He murmured his apologies, not only to Chanyeol, but also to the person who should have heard it before everything was too late.

I’m sorry Dad.

I’m sorry for the words I’ve said. You were the only one left yet I wished for your death. I am sorry… I never wanted you gone. I shouldn’t have said that, I am sorry…

I don’t deserve your name. I don’t deserve to be called your son.

Baekhyun shut his eyes tight. “I am sorry…”

 

It took days to coax his lover out of his zone. He was clearly out of it, but to Chanyeol, who taught that work was something that limit their time together, was the number one medicine to his lover who needed time to re-stitch his gaping wounds. Seeing him busy himself in drawing, making plates, talking with his co-illustrators, was better than seeing him cry and be miserable.

He could only hope that Baekhyun would understand that it wasn’t his fault.

 

_____

 

 

The event that the public waited for another 365 days has come. The venue was decorated with gold and silver, from the entrance, up to the shelves and tables where the auctioned and featured books were displayed. The theme was like classic ballroom, where there is a huge clock with pendulum in the middle of the room.

It was one hour before midnight, and guests started coming in their formal yet designer dresses and suits. Most of them were known identities in the society. Authors and illustrators of the night were given a round of applause as they entered the event, receiving thousands of praises and acknowledgement.

Oh Sehun, the most awaited ‘celebrity’ of the night, surprised not only the people in the event, but also the public through the media present in the place. He brought a date, who, was later on introduced as his boyfriend.

It was no other than Lu Han.

As Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s limo was waiting to reach the start of the red carpet, the former couldn’t keep his hands steady. He was nervous, for Pete’s sakes. And the fact that he and Chanyeol will walk on the carpet together—he was sure as hell that it would create a ing scene.

“Chanyeol, I told you this was a bad idea.” He whined, opening and closing his fists. The CEO chuckled and held his left hand, intertwining their fingers as he put them on his lap.

“Relax, princess. I’m here.” Chanyeol, in his handsome glory, said. When they first saw each other in their respective suits, he admitted that his lover was obviously a walking perfection. His body was hugged perfectly by his suit, hair done up, showcasing his prominent forehead and brows, and last but not the least, was the fact that he accented it with fresh looking rose boutonnière on the left lapel of his tuxedo.

“If I threw up because of anxiousness, Chanyeol, I’m so gonna kill you.” He threatened the other. It only received a nonchalant shrug.

It was their turn, and someone opened the door on Chanyeol’s side. The CEO went out first, greeting the media, and of course, the guests. But it didn’t take long before he offered his hand for the princess waiting inside their lift.

Chanyeol smiled upon seeing those slender fingers on top of his palm. With a proud smile, he watched Baekhyun’s stylishly tousled ash blonde hair come out first together with his slim legs. The next thing happened in slow motion, when Baekhyun lifted his body off of the passenger seat and left the limo. His silver tux accented his pale skin. His eyes, standing out like a pair of crystals with black wings because of his dark eye shadow, and those rosy lips—they look so inviting.

They walked with Baekhyun’s arms clinging on Chanyeol’s elbow. Though in their car, Baekhyun looked like a kid wanting to cry on his first day of school, now Chanyeol was escorting a man who held his head high and walked with grace and poise.

He wondered how Baekhyun could change in a whim.

One moment, he was just any other simple man but a special one that he fell in love with. And the next—well, like right now? He was like a royal blood from a different world.

 

Though they’ve been the target of reporters, Chanyeol managed to dodge them right before the actual event starts. And when it did, somehow the public’s attention was diverted to the program itself.

That was, until Baekhyun met the Chairman’s wife—in other words—Chanyeol’s mother.

“So, you’re the infamous Byun Baekhyun, I suppose?” She asked, raising a trimmed brow at him. Baekhyun gave her a small smile.

“Yes, I am. I hope you are enjoying the event.”

The woman hummed, and she doesn’t look friendly to him. “I’ll get to my point, Baekhyun-ssi, for I did not waste my time here just to talk to the likes of you.” Baekhyun knew what was coming—he already prepared for it.

“I’ve heard that you are dating my son,” she started, voice loud enough to gather attention, “and I don’t like it. As far as I know, you’re just using him to climb up here. But this place,” she gestured the event, “is not the place where you belong.” Mrs. Park sneered at him. People started whispering, looking at Baekhyun with dirty eyes. Her dark gaze dug holes in Baekhyun’s face, “So I am asking you now—Byun Baekhyun, to break up with my son and resign in this company.” She declared.

 

If Baekhyun felt anything from what she said, he didn’t show it. His face remained stoic, but inside, he was boiling. He knew he was nothing. If it wasn’t for Chanyeol, he’d not be here. He knew that he owed him a lot. But what he felt for him was true. He didn’t use Chanyeol for profit. In fact, it took quite a lot for him to accept his offer, and Chanyeol knew that.

Baekhyun dread for this day to come—for his true relationship with Chanyeol to be revealed, for his identity be stomped on because—who is he anyway? He’s just a bum who luckily found a job because of a wallet sized miniature painting of his best friend. He’s a penniless guy who lived in a rundown apartment—someone who grew up without parents.

He wasn’t ashamed of it but he will never let anyone look down on him because of his status.

Damn the public, damn the media, damn what people may think, but Baekhyun has one treasure that he wouldn’t let to be tarnished by anyone.

And that was his pride.

 

“It’s true that Chanyeol might have helped me to get this job, but I am 100% sure that I gave him justice by being one of the assets of the company.” He calmly stated. “It was given that Sehun was a celebrity author and many people are dying to buy his books—even without me in the picture.” Baekhyun crossed his arms, “But let me tell you one thing, Mrs. Park.”

The woman raised a brow, challenging him, “Sehun wouldn’t have launched his best-selling trilogy if it wasn’t for the fact that I accepted his proposal of being his illustrator.” Baekhyun tilted his head, the corner of his lips tilting, “and your company wouldn’t have earned the money and fame you are boasting on my face, if it wasn’t for our team work.”

Baekhyun looked at the crowd who was now circling them. He saw Chanyeol who was watching him with a proud smile, and Luhan who was mouthing that he’s such a diva, and the rest of the employees who had been his acquaintances in the past six months.

“Don’t forget that most of the people working in your company doesn’t have a name in the industry, nor a title and a famous family background like you do. But they are the reason why you have your money, and a company to be proud of. Without them, this company is nothing.”

Baekhyun sighed, “And as for being your son’s lover, I am not going to break up with him just because you said so.” He determinedly added afterwards, “I already vowed and I’m not breaking any of it.”

Mrs. Park couldn’t hold her anger that she grabbed the first thing she got, which was a glass of champagne, and splashed it on Baekhyun. Startled, the latter gasped and shut his eyes. Chanyeol ran past through the crowd and took the glass from his mother, putting himself in between the two.

“That’s enough!” he roared.

“Chanyeol!” Mrs. Park reprimanded. “Stay out of this son!”

“No! And I won’t let you step over Baekhyun anymore!” he growled. “He doesn’t deserve this! And you have no right to do this to him!”

“He’s a pest in this company! Didn’t you hear what he said to me? He’s a disrespectful piece of trash---!”

“Mother--!”

“And that disrespectful piece of trash you’re talking about is my grandson.” A husky voice of a man came up from somewhere, halting commotion happening. His Korean was heavily accented, but perfect in grammar nonetheless.

Baekhyun stood there motionless, and like the loud gong of the pendulum as midnight approached right then and there, his heart galloped in anxiety.

Split in half, people maid way for the elder man with a black cane. He was accompanied by his personal guards, and he was obviously a foreigner to them, with his physical features and all.

“You—and your family,” the old man started with an undertone of a growl, “is not even worthy to be graced with the presence of his shadow.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes were locked on the man whom he never thought of meeting in person. He knew him—basically from all the studies he had done from their family. Chanyeol saw him in pictures, verified his identity through research. It wasn’t because he’s interested—but because he just wanted to know the man behind why his sister had to leave the country.

Kayne Heinsworth—an elite member of society in England and the head of the noble family which was known to hold the title of Earl for generations back in the Peerage of 1700s.

The elder man, wearing a hard expression on his face, looked passed at him. As Chanyeol turned his head to look at his lover, he tried to answer the question that started to form in his head.

“Baekhyun?” he called breathlessly.

 

The said man was petrified on his spot, pale and soaking wet.

As Chanyeol waited for his response, he thought if the fairytale was over.

Was it time to go back to reality?

Baekhyun is not ready.

He will never be.

 

 

 

***drop comments below please <3 thank you!