Chapter 24: Almost There

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 24

Almost There

 

Overnight, Kevin thought about his conversation with Luhan. He didn't even have a blink of sleep as he stayed by the hospital's lounge, with a can of cold coffee in hand. He was the one who witnessed Kristian and Chanyeol five years ago, lost and broken in each other's arms. He should have known by then that Kristian was clearly broken-hearted from what happened between the two families. 

Being the one who witnessed his nephew's pain all these years, he should have convinced his father to let the younger go. But instead of doing this, for Kristian's sake, he kept his mouth shut and watched in the background. It was disgusting to think that he let something bad to happen to his nephew first before he realized the things he could have prevented if he had acted beforehand.

Luhan might not be related to Kristian by blood, but he knew that he was the one who witnessed his worst state in the past, and also the one who helped him get back to his feet as Byun Baekhyun. If Luhan says that Chanyeol was the only person who could heal Kristian's wounds then so be it. Kayne's wishes be damned. It was obvious that it will never make Kristian's life any better. 

 

So he came up with the best but also the hardest decision in the end. 

 

=====

 

"Baek, here, you have to eat at least this soup. You haven't eaten yesterday and you need nutrients to get better." Luhan sighed for the nth time, trying to feed Baekhyun at least five spoonful of soup. But Baekhyun didn't budge. He kept his eyes outside, staring into nothing, unblinking and lost in his thoughts. Luhan hated the fact that he's seeing him in this state again. If Baekhyun took years to get back before, when and how will he recover from this state this time?

Luhan heard the door opening so he turned around, seeing Kevin enter the room. The elder silently asked him through his gaze if there was any improvement but Luhan shook his head, putting the bowl of mushroom soup on the tray.

"How are you feeling Kristian?" Kevin asked as he walked closer. The said male merely gave him a blank glance before turning his gaze back outside.

Kevin and Luhan shared a knowing look before the former sat on the edge of the bed, by Baekhyun's feet and just beside Luhan. 

"I know that you will forever hate me for not being the best uncle I used to be." Kevin started, head bowing low, "All we caused you is pain and everytime you're home, you're unhappy." 

It might not look like it but Baekhyun was listening. His walls high and sturdy as to prevent anyone seeing through him. 

"We stole your smile, Kristian," Kevin's voice cracked, "We stole it and no one can bring it back but Chanyeol." This time, Baekhyun's brows furrowed. His lips formed into a thin line as he heard his lover's name. "I should have done this years ago but here," Kevin reached out an envelope to him, which Baekhyun took hesitantly with his fragile hands. He gazed up at Kevin, who smiled at him despite the unshed tears in his eyes. 

"Go back to where your heart belongs, Kristian--ah, no..." Kevin chuckled, "Go back home Baekhyun."

The said male opened the envelope and there, he saw two First Class tickets to Korea. His eyes widened, looking up at Kevin. "Be happy and promise me that you'll call or visit here from time to time, okay?"

 

Even when he was muted all the time Kevin was talking, deep inside, Baekhyun's heart was pounding. The moment he heard that he can go back to Seoul, everything became blurry and soon enough, tears of relief and joy somehow found their way out, lapping his cheeks and dropping on his hands. Luhan suddenly hugged him, so happy that Baekhyun would come home. Luhan looked back at Kevin with a thankful smile, and Kevin witnessed how that simple gift, how that simple ticket could brought back hope and light in Baekhyun's eyes. 

Compared to it, luxury and status were nothing.

He turned his back to the two, giving them their privacy and chance to talk about their flight when Baekhyun, for the first time in years, called him the way he used to, when Kevin was still his favorite uncle and elder brother.

"Uncle Kev," he said, voice soft and tender unlike the way he's been talking to him lately.

Kevin stopped on his tracks and turned around. What he saw was worth the pain he felt knowing that Baekhyun will leave in a few days. His nephew smiled at him. A pure, honest smile along with joyful tears as he said the words worth gold to Kevin. 

"Thank you."

 

 

=====

 

"Aren't you the one back in the cafe?" the man bellowed before him. Xiao Rin jumped on her feet because of the intensity of the man's voice. She could feel the chills it brought on her spine. "What are you doing here," he hissed. 

"I-I..." Xiao Rin's lower lips trembled, so she decided to skip the alibi and tell him the truth, "I-I'm sorry, I'm Yun Xiao Rin from Seoullite Magazine and I- I am here to ask you M-Mr. Park if we could feature Blue Palace in our magazine in next release?"

The Chairman, Clyde Park, was a very handsome man, that, she can't deny. But came with the physical perfection was the icy cold stare and rude personality. 

"By disguising as one of our staff?" he pointed out, looking at her from head to toe like she's some kind of crazy woman from mental hospital. Xiao Rin scowled as Clyde smirked, making a beeline to his seat.

"I could call my guards to drag you out, but then I'll give you a chance to walk out silently, return that uniform and forget about taking advantage of Blue Palace's name."

"It's not about taking advantage," she denied, well maybe, somehow it was, but she shrugged it off, "Seoullite is a magazine that features every "best" in Seoul, and Blue Palace is one of them. A-Aren't you proud that you get this offer?"

"I'm proud of nothing but my hard work in building Blue Palace." Clyde said, "So, while I still have a bit of my patience, I suggest you get out of my office before I call the security."

Xiao Rin shivered at Clyde's dark gaze before doing as she was told. 

 

=====

 

Sitting in the First Class section of the plane a week later, Baekhyun watched the clouds through the window. It's only a matter of hours before he's back in Seoul. Beside him was Luhan who just woke up from his nap. "Baek, are you okay?" he asked him. Baekhyun nodded wordlessly, taking a deep breath. 

"Y-You know," his friend started, "I have to tell you, something about Chanyeol."

This caught his attention, so he turned his head to him, eyes searching his. Luhan bit his lower lip and sighed, "I... We... we don't have any news from Chanyeol."

When all Baekhyun gave him was a confused stare, he added, "A few weeks after you left Korea, he's gone missing."

"...What...?"

Luhan blinked away, "We tried our best to find him, Sehun and I. Jongin and Kyungsoo joined as well but," he shook his head, "Up until now, we don't know where he is, or how he's been, Baek."

The said man swallowed the lump forming in his throat. He must have hurt him so badly for Chanyeol to disappear just like that. For whatever reason, he knew that he's the root--he and their family's issue. 

Luhan lost count on how many seconds has passed before Baekhyun reacted. Reserved as expected, Baekhyun bobbed his head in understanding, although the voice that came out his lips was already strained and on the edge of cracking.

"It's okay," he said, "I...I'll look for him. I'll try, in my own way."

Luhan smiled, but Baekhyun didn't see that. He just felt a hand that squeezed his, before he closed his eyes and prayed that Chanyeol is doing fine wherever he was.

 

 

=====

 

It’s almost a week since Luhan left and Xiao Rin was still sulking about the incident with Clyde Park, the man behind the success of Blue Palace. She called in and asked the EIC for more time for Blue Palace’s feedback since she would never tell them how she embarrassed herself in front of the chairman himself by disguising as a maintenance staff. Xiao Rin made an alibi and since Blue Palace is an iconic company, the team understood that making appointments with them is quite a handful.

She wanted to let out her frustration regarding her task, but her cousin was overseas, who knows why and she’s unsure of when he’ll be back. What her Aunt Limei said was that an emergency happened and Luhan was needed in London.

Take note of that. London. London!

Why would Luhan go to London? What’s he going to do there? Was it because of work? But as far as she knows, Luhan’s job doesn’t have a description of traveling for business affairs.

“Be patient, Xiao Rin, your cousin will be back before you know it,” her auntie said.

So she waited, until one morning she got a call from her saying that Luhan is back. He just stopped by his parent’s house and now he’s on his way back to Seoul. Giddy, Xiao Rin waited in her pad, situated just a floor below Luhan’s and Sehun’s. It’s a 3-hour ride so they’ll be here around noon. It was perfect for she’d talk to him during their lunch.

When noon strikes, she went up to his cousin’s place but paused before ringing the bell. She saw luggages and boxes outside the last vacant suit on the floor. There were two men in black taking the said things inside. Blinking, she turned to ring the bell but the door suddenly opened, revealing Sehun in his PJ’s.

“Oh? Sunbae?”

“Ah, hi Rin. Come in, I just have to bring these to Luhan,” he said, showing her a plastic of cereals.

Confused, she asked, “Why would you bring cereals to gege? And where is he anyway? I need to talk to him.” But as she bombarded him with questions, Sehun slipped out in front of her, taking a beeline towards the other door. Xiao Rin followed, excusing herself from the men in black. When she stepped inside, her jaws dropped from seeing the luxurious design of the place, more spacious than the couple’s and definitely one of the first class rooms.

She heard Sehun call Luhan, taking her back to reality. Xiao Rin saw them by the kitchen, with Luhan taking the cereals and preparing them with fruits and honey.

“Lu-ge, what’s happening?”

Luhan looked up from what he’s doing while Sehun jogged outside and took some of the boxes himself. “Oh, Xiao Rin, I’m sorry, can you give me a second. You can wait in the living room or in our place if you want. I’ll be quick.” He said, putting some slices of apple on top of the cereal bowl.

“Is someone you know moving here?”

“Yes, my best friend. I’ll introduce you to him later, but he’s not really feeling well.” He said. Xiao Rin nodded, looking around.

“He’s quite rich to afford this place. Isn’t this one of the first class?” she asked.

Luhan chuckled, “This is one of the Diamond Suits. And yes, he’s quite a highborn. Okay, his food is done, I’ll be back.” He said, taking the tray of food. Xiao Rin frowned at that, feeling like Luhan is this ‘highborn’ guy’s maid.

“Why are you making his food? Can’t he make his own lunch?” she scowled.

Luhan threw a glare at his cousin for bad mouthing his best friend. "You don't know him enough for you to talk like that about him, brat. You know, you should just wait in our place if you can't control your mouth." 

Rolling her eyes, Xiao Rin made a zipping gesture on . Before Luhan could make his way upstairs and bring the food to Baekhyun's room, the said man was already by the edge of the stairs looking down at them. 

Xiao Rin noticed his presence so she looked up. There, she saw an undeniably beautiful man. His chocolate eyes were small and droopy, roofed with trimmed brows. The slope of his nose was perfect and the thin shaped lips were naturally cherry. His skin is milky and dewy, putting any woman to shame. It made her feel something unpleasant in her stomach. 

"Baek! I thought you wouldn't go down. I made cereals for you." 

Baekhyun's eyes looked at the food with a scowl which Luhan found funny. "Yah, don't you dare waste this, huh? You have eat at least half of it. And," he emphasized, glaring at the younger, "Eat all the fruits."

Baekhyun's shoulder sagged but he took the tray, “Alright, if you insist.”

Luhan followed his friend with watchful eyes as the latter walked downstairs, passing Xiao Rin as if she wasn’t even there. Baekhyun took the tray in the living room, sitting on the soft cream couch. He took the prepared spoon and started eating bits of the oatmeal.

“Remember, the doctor said you should eat light foods first until you get accustomed in having something in your stomach again. You have appointment with Dr. Zhang every Saturday at 9 am and—“

“—and take the vitamins every after meal.”

Luhan nodded, “Good,” he said. He looked up when one of the men asked him where to put the boxes. When he asked them to bring them upstairs, Baekhyun interrupted and told them to put them on the further side of the room, next to the glass window.

“What are those things?” Luhan asked. Baekhyun chewed the apple slowly, swallowing first before satisfying Luhan’s curiosity.

“Easel, canvases and all of my stuff. I want to set them up by the window.” Baekhyun put the utensil down when he noticed the girl from earlier. Luhan realized that he hasn’t introduced the two to each other and stumbled with his words when he does.

“Oh, right, uhm, Baek, this is Xiao Rin, she’s my cousin and she’s living on the lower floor. Xiao Rin, this is Baekhyun, my childhood best friend.”

Baekhyun dipped his chin and Xiao Rin mirrored the gesture. Somehow, Baekhyun felt that the girl didn’t like him very much but he let it pass. It’s not a big deal anyway. When all of them are done putting his things inside, he dismissed the two guys. Luhan and Sehun also bid their temporary goodbyes as they would leave him to his privacy. Baekhyun walked them to the door, with Sehun looking back at him, smiling.

“Maybe, it wasn’t really meant for us to find Chanyeol hyung.” He chuckled, “No one can find a person who doesn’t want to be found. But I think if it’s you, Baekhyun hyung, I’m sure with just one call, however and whenever…” Sehun took a deep breath of relief, “Chanyeol will surely come.”

Luhan felt warm when he saw Baekhyun’s smile. It was rare sight these days but it was better than not seeing it at all. He’s looking forward to see the bubbly and sarcastic Byun Baekhyun back.

“Stop saying sappy things, Sehun.” Baekhyun whined with a chuckle.

“I’m saying the truth! Anyway, we won’t keep you any longer, just ring us if you need anything else, okay?”

“Okay,” Baekhyun smiled, waving at them before closing the door. He turned around and scanned the room. It’s time to unpack.

 

 

On his first weekend, Baekhyun lazed around the house, watching movies, sleeping all day, and probably forgot to take bath.

But that Sunday, when he woke up, he got a perfect idea for another painting, Baekhyun immediately sketched the new image on another 30x40 canvas. He loved working on big spaces so the tendency of this was emptying the tubes of paint earlier than normal. When he decided on the palette he’s going to use, he realized that he’s missing some of the essential colors.

“Damn,” he muttered, scratching his head before taking his key, leaving the house in his jeans, sneakers and painting tops (a stained ash sweater because he doesn’t want the other shirts to be dirtied as well).

 

=====

 

 

It was already late morning when Chanyeol woke up. Buried in fluffy pillows and thick duvet, he took his cellphone by the night stand to check the time. 10:38 AM. Groaning, he unlocked it and checked for any important messages and upon seeing nothing, he sighed in relief. As the screen showed his home, the wallpaper, as always, gave him a boost for the day. After all, it reminds him why he’s waking up each day, why he’s working hard, and why he didn’t give up.

It reminds him of the warmest feeling, the unbeatable joy and unforgettable memories. Who else would it be other than Byun Baekhyun?

In the picture of his screen was the two of them. Chanyeol was behind the smaller male, an arm securely around the latter. Both of them are wearing scarfs and thick coats. Their smile at the camera was so wide and their eyes were twinkling. Chanyeol smiled upon remembering that time when Baekhyun asked him to take a selca with the Cibeles Fountain in the background. Chanyeol was hesitant at first but look, it became his favorite picture. Why? Because it clearly shows how the two of them belonged to each other.

The hand that Chanyeol put on Baekhyun’s shoulder in the front was the one wearing their wedding band. And Baekhyun, who clutched on Chanyeol’s looping arm, was also caught in the camera, with him wearing the matching ring on his left hand.

Suddenly, Chanyeol was overwhelmed with longing. He traced Baekhyun’s face through the image, wondering if anything changed within the years that they haven’t seen each other. Is  Baekhyun doing well? Is he eating properly? Where could he be today or is he thinking about him too? Chanyeol thought about the same things every single day.

Even with all of this, Chanyeol never once thought of giving up. With that in mind, he got up and started his off by taking a shower.

 

 

 

Walking around the district, Chanyeol towered the crowd as he searched for the specific café where he and Baekhyun used to go to. He always stays there, relaxing, drinking Baekhyun’s favourite latte, and probably waste his times there unless he’ll get an emergency call or emails about work.

He was enjoying his daily dose of latte, ignoring the squealing girls that passed him by, when he suddenly caught a familiar build among the crowd. He thought he was seeing things but when he blinked, even at a distance, he was sure with the way this person walked and with his side profile, Chanyeol caught sight of Baekhyun.

His eyes went wide, his heart paused before he went out of the café.

It was him. It was Baekhyun right? He wasn’t sure but he saw him on his way to Blue Palace Mall. It’s been five years, yes, but even with differences, he’d know Baekhyun.

Chanyeol tried not to lose sight of him, he memorized what he saw. Gray sweatshirt, faded ripped jeans and reddish hair. However with all the people going to the mall during Sundays, Chanyeol was stuck by the entrance for a minute.

By the time he got inside the mall, there was no redhead guy in gray shirt in sight.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

ahhahhaha i know RIGHT? the end of this chapter is like : OMYGAWWD, WAEE?!! ***flips the table***throws cellphone***shutthePC*

i didn't get the nickname BadAnj from my bffs for nothing XD

Hey guys did you check the trailer?! It was made by ImInLoveWithKyungsoo (well I hope I got the uname right) hahaahha I love it and  I hope you will visit it in the Foreword. 

Thanks for reading! til next update!

PS. COMMENTS ARE GOLD!

 

Note: Cibeles Fountain is in Madrid, you can google it.

Remember the Five days in Chapter 18? HAHAHAAH. Spain. Madrid. Wedding Bands. You get what I mean?