Chapter 16: Kristian

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 16:

Kristian

 

When they got back from Jeju, things had changed for the two of them. To Chanyeol, Baekhyun became bolder in his actions. He no longer suppressed his desires if he wanted to hold his hand, or brush something off from his face. He no longer tensed whenever Chanyeol would guide him with a hand on his lower back or when he intertwined their hands together. In fact, he was the one reaching out to hold his hand. Those minimal changes were so obvious for the CEO not to notice in a short span of time.

That Sunday night, Chanyeol insisted on staying over Baekhyun's pad. To his surprise, his princess didn't argue but told him that Chanyeol needed to bring his own pillow. But in the end, Chanyeol came to his pad with nothing but his things to bring and wear for tomorrow, saying that his pillow would be Baekhyun anyway.

 

 

If it wasn't for the fact that the alarm was so damn loud, Baekhyun would rather snuggle close to the heat enveloping his body. But then he only turns the alarm on weekdays.

Meaning, he has to go to work.

Groaning, Baekhyun tried to untangle himself from the long limbs caging him. He reached out to the night stand to take his phone, shifting his weight to his side. When he finally swiped his thumb on the screen to shut the thing up, he realized that it was already five thirty in the morning and he has to get up and prepare breakfast.

 

Baekhyun turned around to find Chanyeol still sound asleep, despite of the noise the alarm made. The giant's arms were still secured around his torso, limbs locked with his. Baekhyun cupped the giant's face and leaned closer, pecking him on the nose. "Wake up, Chanyeol. We've got to get ready for work."

The CEO made a grumbling noise as he pulled Baekhyun closer, whining for 10 more minutes. Baekhyun sighed, snuggling close so that his lips hovered over Chanyeol's ears. "Yeol, I need to make breakfast, you can stay on the bed until the food is ready."

 

Chanyeol sighed, trying to open his eyes and meet his lover's droopy ones. He didn't think that he'd wake up one day beside Baekhyun, warm and cozy. Why did Monday come this early? He'd like to stay like this all day without thinking about work.

Baekhyun's face was too close and he was one second away from kissing him when the other pushed two fingers on his lips. "No kisses until you brush your teeth." Baekhyun snickered as he pulled away, stretching his back muscles. He felt the elder shift on the bed, which by the way, was a little bit small to fit the two of them. Taking his clothes that scattered on the floor, he began to dress himself. Taking a detour around the bed, he went downstairs, chuckling when Chanyeol dragged out his name, asking him to come back to bed.

Being the stubborn man that he was, he ignored his boyfriend and prepared fried rice, sunny side up eggs and bacon for their breakfast. 

 

Chanyeol, on the other hand, rolled to the side where Baekhyun was earlier, pushing his face deeper on the pillow that smelled a lot like Baekhyun. After a while, when he smelled the aroma of coffee and the delicious scent of breakfast, he quickly got up, and put nothing but his black boxers. He met Baekhyun's gaze as he went to the kitchen, smirking upon seeing the rose tint on his cheeks. He was not faring better than him, for the image of his lover in oversized tee with only boxers underneath is a torture for the first day of the week.

 

When Baekhyun noticed how Chanyeol was ogling his legs, he clicked his tongue and scowled, "Sit, Chanyeol." he ordered.

The CEO chuckled, doing as he was told. Baekhyun served the spoon and fork before sitting in front of the giant. Chanyeol hummed as he tasted the fried rice, wondering what seasonings Baekhyun must have added for the flavor to burst in his mouth like heaven. They showered together too, much to Baekhyun's protest. Thankfully Chanyeol kept his promise to behave and did nothing but place some innocent kisses here and there.

 

By the time Chanyeol was dressing up in his suit, Baekhyun voiced out his idea that's been bugging him since they showered. "Chanyeol, I think we shouldn't go together with your car." 

The CEO frowned as he finished fixing his tie, "What? Why not?"

"I'll just take the bus," Baekhyun explained, checking out his face in the mirror hung in the living room. "That way, no one will be suspicious." 

Chanyeol wanted to argue. He didn't ask Baekhyun out to hide him from the public. He didn't want to make it like he only needed him during cold nights. He wanted Baekhyun and he isn't ashamed of what they have, regardless of what people would say. However, he knew that Baekhyun was just thinking about what's good for both of them. He knew that all his boyfriend wanted was a simple relationship behind the prying eyes of strangers. So even when he doesn't really approve of Baekhyun hiding his true meaning in Chanyeol's life, he agreed to this arrangement.

"But the catch is,” Chanyeol suddenly said just as they got in the lift. “I will follow whichever bus you take. That means I will never leave before you do" Baekhyun opened his mouth to argue but Chanyeol's stern gaze shut him up.

"Fine," Baekhyun sighed, it seems like a fair trade.

 

 

_____

 

That was the start of the love blooming behind the curtains. They were like a moonflower, closing their beautiful petals when the sun rises, but graces the night with their pure and deep passion for each other. At work, they act like nothing is going on between them, just their usual bickering if ever Chanyeol spends his lunch in Baekhyun's office. Sometimes, subtle glances were there if you squint hard enough, and then if ever they crossed paths, pretending to talk to the person with them? You wouldn’t even notice how their knuckles and arms would brush against each other, filling their lips with a smile for the rest of the day.

Given with their circumstances, their usual dinner dates didn't stop. Chanyeol made it a point to wait for Baekhyun in the parking basement, and the latter would always appear 10-15 minutes later.

They also planned to switch where to stay every week. Chanyeol stayed in Baekhyun's pad for the first one, then it was Baekhyun's turn to stay at Chanyeol's the next week. In less than one month, they both have things in each other's pad. They leave half and half of their belongings in each other’s closet so wherever they decided to stay, they have the necessities.

 

 

_____

 

 

“Princess,” Chanyeol called the other who was sitting in front of him, back against his chest with a bowl of popcorn on his lap. They were watching an action movie that Friday night, staying up since they are off for tomorrow when Chanyeol remembered that he has an appointment scheduled after lunch. When Baekhyun paused the movie to look at him, asking why, he told him the reason. He apologized thinking that Baekhyun would be disappointed that they weren’t going to spend the Saturday together.

To his surprise, Baekhyun was an understanding lover. He didn’t mind his busy schedule and completely respects that he had responsibilities. Realizing this, Chanyeol tightened his hold around his lover’s waist, kissing the lights out of him until the movie was forgotten and the bowl of popcorn was left half emptied on the night stand.

 

Baekhyun used the time alone by going around Seoul. He ended up in a mall, checking out some trending items and pampering himself with things he thought he wouldn’t be able to buy. As it turns out, more than luxuries, Baekhyun found his heaven and solitude with art materials.

He had bought a new set of canvas and oil paint when he passed by a music store. The glass grand piano that was displayed caught his eyes. He was so mesmerized that his feet brought him there automatically. All of a sudden he was hit with waves of memories, of his mother, his father, and himself. Baekhyun wondered if they didn’t die, what could’ve happened to him? Will he meet Chanyeol? Will he love him?

Baekhyun wondered, if he never had to be Baekhyun and lived as Kristian Heinsworth, will he be happy as he was right now? If Chanyeol founds out that he was Kristian that Kevin was looking for, what will happen to them?

Deep inside, he was torn in between choosing his family and the man who managed to squeeze in his heart, taking a large space in it. But then, seeing Kevin after so many years, searching for him, had made him miss the life he was supposed to have.

“Hello, sir.” The sales man talks to him with a smile. “This piano is 85% made of glass, and so far, there’s only few of it in Korea.”

Baekhyun smiled at him, fingers hovering over the keys, “Can I touch it?”

“Of course sir,” The man made space for him, also offering the chair for him to sit. Baekhyun carefully touched the piano. It was so beautiful but he only has one chance to play it. He couldn’t afford to have a luxurious thing like this. Everything about music makes him remember his mother, and it was the only thing that connects him to her.

He pressed a few keys, trying it out. With the sales man’s permission, he thought one song wouldn’t hurt.

 

____

 

There’s one thing that Kevin hates about malls—they are too crowded. But today must have been one of the oddest days he had. As he was looking for a new coat for the upcoming autumn and winter, his ears caught a familiar tune playing in the background. He almost didn’t recognize it at first since the piece has always been played in string instrument. But now that he heard a part of it, it was, no doubt, Chaehyun’s Castle of Sand.

Forgetting the coat, Kevin looked for the source of the music. There was a small crowd in front of ahead of him. He slowly squeezed in them, trying to get a look at the man behind the perfect melody only his sister in law could create.

What Kevin saw caught him by surprise. It was Baekhyun, Sehun’s illustrator, who was playing the glass piano. He looked like he belonged there. His fingers moved like an expert on the keys, eyes closed and drowning in his own thoughts.

 

When the song ended, Baekhyun’s eyes opened in surprise upon seeing a small circle of audience clapping at him. He smiled and bowed to them as they walked away after.  It was then that they caught each other’s gazes, “Mr. Heinsworth,” Baekhyun greeted with a nervous smile. “What a surprise.”

“Yeah,” Kevin chuckled, “It is a surprise to see you play the piano.”

Baekhyun laughed nervously, “I haven’t played in a long time, and it was really beautiful… I mean that piano,” he looked at it with a smile.

“How did you learn to play that piece,” Kevin asked as they walked side by side. His eyes were fondly fixed on the shorter mail and he couldn’t help but feel nostalgic like this.

“I uhm, studied music,” Baekhyun said, “and before I picked an instrument to major in, we were taught how to play the piano first. I really love that song, so I studied how to play it in piano.”

They talked about random things, and through this, Kevin learned a lot from the illustrator. He couldn’t pinpoint it, but it feels like he found a little brother in him. He treated him an ice cream, and found out that the younger loves strawberry flavor. Baekhyun also loved to joke around and he found himself laughing a lot with his jokes.

“Say, Baekhyun.” He started as they went out of the mall, “Are you close with Chanyeol?”

The said man paused, blinking at him before pressing his lips into thin line, “Why are you asking?”

Kevin thought about it for a second, before shaking his head, “No, I just remembered the time when we first met. Just, don’t mind it,” he chuckled.

Checking the time, Kevin was reminded that he has to meet his father today. His old man was going to arrive in an hour. "Baekhyun, it was really fun meeting you today, but I really have to go. I'll see you sometime." 

Baekhyun smiled at the elder, waving as he watched him approach the black Mercedes which just parked in front of them. "I'll treat you next time, Mr. Heinsworth,"

Kevin chuckled, waving back, "Just call me Kevin," he said before getting in.

Following the car with his gaze, Baekhyun wondered why his uncle kept on looking for him, when he could just spend his time looking for someone to spend the rest of his life with. Date a girl, have a family. He's not getting any younger. Kevin should think more of himself rather than worrying about him. In fact, "Kristian" should have been declared dead. It has been what, nine years since he was missing. And up until now, he had no intentions of going back, despite of his what ifs.

Kevin should move on because he will no longer see his favourite nephew.

 

Baekhyun was lost in his thoughts when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Fishing it out, he quickly answered the call upon seeing Chanyeol's name.

"Hey," he greeted with a smile, walking his way out of the mall's premises.

"Hey yourself," Chanyeol chuckled from the other line, "How's your day, princess?"

"I'm perfectly fine, Chanyeol." Baekhyun chuckled, "I just went out for today and bought some things. I'm on my way back home."

"Have you eaten lunch yet?"

"Yes, have you?"

"Not yet," Chanyeol laughed, "But I will right after our meeting. We're just on ten minutes break." 

"How long are you gonna be there?" Baekhyun whined as he waited for the bus to arrive. 

"I don't know, but I'll come home as soon as we're done. I miss you already."

Baekhyun rode the bus with a wide grin pasted on his face. He took the seat on the farthest corner, his phone still pressed against his ears. "It hasn't been 24 hours, Park."

"Still," Chanyeol chuckled. "I'll see you later princess."

"Take care." Baekhyun said before ending the call.

 

______

 

 

The flight Kevin was waiting finally arrived after being delayed for about 30 minutes. If it wasn't for the fact that it was his father, he would have ditched him already.

For another couple of minutes, Kevin waited until he saw his father's figure, dressed in dark coat, pants and leather shoes, walking out together with his personal guards. He may look old but the physique of a noble and the fierceness of his face was still as intimidating as he was in his youth.

 

Kevin approached the old man, bowing his head as a greeting. The person before him should not be underestimated. Being the head of a noble family, Kayne Heinsworth owns a lot of properties and companies. He has place in the government and also a very influential person. 

"It's good to see you, Kevin," he greeted him. 

"How was your trip, father?" he said, leading the way where their car was parked.

"I was getting impatient, actually." The chauffeur greeted them and opened the door of the car. Kevin rounded and went through the other side, locking the door. His father, holding his cane, supported himself as he sat. Thick brows furrowing upon seeing the time displayed in front of the car. 

Kevin didn't know what to say so he left the conversation hanging. They left the airport soon and were now on their way to their villa in Gangnam. He thought the elder man wouldn’t say anything during the trip but it hasn’t been five minutes when the man spoke. And Kevin wasn’t surprised on the topic he chose.

“Have you got any information about your nephew?”

Kevin’s shoulders sagged. As much as he wanted to deliver good news to him, he couldn’t. He himself wanted to find his nephew as soon as possible, but without a trace and evidence of his whereabouts, it was impossible to find a person who doesn’t want to be found. “No,” he said, voice almost cracking. “I talked to Chanyeol, and he was sure that Yoora didn’t take Kristian with her. He was there when she left.”

As Kevin turned to his father, the old man’s jaws squared as his dark brown eyes subtly turning glassy. His grip on his cane tightened and it was obvious that he is not taking the news so well.

“But I will do my best to find him,” he promised. “Kristian didn’t deserve this.”

“That grandson of mine,” the old man started, “had never once complained, even when it was obvious that he was suffering.” Tears ran down the old man’s face as he reminisced the days when he watch Kristian take care of his sick mother even to the point of having no sleep. Before Chaehyun died, it was Kristian who remained beside her, attend to her simple needs instead of going to school. “I was there when Chaehyun died and not a single tear was shed from his empty eyes as his mother took her last breath.” He shakily continued, “Kristian was just ten, and he lost her mother already, right in front of him.”

Kevin placed his hand on the elder’s shoulder, squeezing it for comfort. “I shouldn’t have let Karlile remarry; I didn’t know that she would be the one to destroy that family instead of mending it.”

There was fire in his father’s eyes, a reflection of pure hatred to Yoora and her family. He watched him take something from the inside pocket of his coat. Taking a piece of old, folded paper from his wallet, Kevin recognized it as the letter left in Kristian’s room.

Dear Grandpa,

I’m sorry I have failed you. I have failed to be the grandson you wanted me to be. I couldn’t face you, and everyone else. I have no power to… I didn’t know what happened, I am young and I am lost…but I’m not dumb not to know that as the only son of your eldest, I failed to be a Heinsworth.

It’s too late grandpa and I am ashamed of myself. Please forget about me, for I am not worthy of my name.

I love you.

 

“I never forgot him Kevin. How could he blame himself for what happened? He has to know that he was innocent. He was just a kid and he shouldn’t have taken it so deep. I don’t care if we lost properties and billions of money because of his step mother. Kristian should have ran to me and ask for help… not ran away.”

“I know, father.” Kevin said, “And I am not stopping until we found him.”

The old man nodded, blinking his tears away. “Please Kevin. I am old and I want a reassurance that half of my properties, my money will be his before I die. I want Kristian to take what should have been his father’s.”

Kevin nodded, “I understand.”

 

_____

 

 

Chanyeol came home around six in the evening, tired and worn out. If it was any other day, he would have gone straight to the bedroom and sleep. But tonight is different, because what he saw upon entering his pad was Baekhyun lying on his couch, with a laptop on his lap, in nothing but simple tee and navy blue pajamas. With his boyfriend’s back facing him, Baekhyun, who was immersed on what he was doing didn’t notice his lover’s presence.

Smiling, the CEO made a beeline towards the sofa, sliding his fingers against Baekhyun’s hair. The latter jumped from the sudden touch but sighed when he saw that it was just Chanyeol. Leaning down, the CEO placed a kiss on his cheeks. “I’m home.”

Baekhyun laughed, “How’s your meeting?”

Groaning, the elder threw himself beside him, pressing their bodies together. “A headache, as always.” Chanyeol wrapped his arms around the smaller, eyes falling on the laptop screen he was holding. To his surprise, it was open on a page about the Heinsworth Family.

“Princess, why are you—“

Baekhyun, knowing what Chanyeol was pertaining to, quickly closed the laptop and put it on the nearby table. “Oh, it’s nothing, I was just… curious about them.” He turned to Chanyeol and honestly said about him meeting Kevin earlier at the mall.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun sighed, seeing how the CEO’s face darkened, “I don’t know what is your problem with Kevin but he’s a nice a guy—“

“So you two are on first name basis now.” Chanyeol said between gritted teeth. Baekhyun crossed his arms, huffing in disbelief.

“You know what? I’m not having this conversation.” Baekhyun shook his head, “Dinner’s in the kitchen, I pre-heated it for you. I’m gonna take a shower.” Before he could even hop off the couch, Chanyeol caught his wrist nailing him on his spot.

“Baekhyun, I don’t want you talking to him next time.” Chanyeol spat. “He’s not just anybody. He could be using you against me.”

“For what, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun scowled, “No one knows about us yet. And I didn’t tell him for Pete’s sakes. From what I see earlier, and what I observe, Kevin is a decent man. Until the time you tell me what’s going on between you and him for me to understand why you are acting like this, do not tell me what and what not to do and whom I should and shouldn't be talking with.”

Baekhyun’s plan on showering ended up in his own pad because he’s so goddamned frustrated with Chanyeol’s reaction. He didn’t ask him about the deal between him and his uncle because he didn’t want to repeat what happened in the office the first time he asked. What he didn’t like is for Chanyeol to dictate things like that without telling him the reason.

Especially around the people he should be calling family.

Not that anyone knew that.

 

_____

 

 

Sehun and Baekhyun have been talking about their next project for almost two hours. While Sehun was asking his illustrator to make drafts, the door suddenly opened after a couple of knocks revealing Seulgi.

“Mr. Oh, Mr. Park has a guest waiting for him in his office but we couldn’t disturb him right now, he’s in the middle of a board meeting. She requests for your company instead.”

Raising his brows, Sehun glanced at Baekhyun who shrugged, before saying, “Who’s this guest?”

“It’s Miss Jennie, Mr. Oh.”

Sehun immediately excused himself and went out. As he opened the door to Chanyeol’s office, he found her sitting shamelessly on Chanyeol’s seat. Clad in formal cream dress and cashmere coat, Jennie removed her sunglass with a smirk, batting her beautiful lash once at him.

“It’s good to see you Sehun.” She said.

The author’s face visibly hardened. “You’re one shameless .”

Giggling, Jennie bit the tip of her sunglasses, crossing her legs, “You’re there when I told Yeol that I’ll be back.” she shrugged, "Here I am..."

 

_____

 

 

Scattered files and papers filled Kevin’s table for the past days. Since his father arrived, he spent more time investigating, searching for his nephew. He hired a number of private investigators already to help him, but all efforts were in vain.

With a deep sigh, he reclined his back against the backrest, rotating his neck. He thought of brewing some coffee when his phone rang.

“What is it?” he asked as soon as he took the call.

“Sir, with all the information you have given me, I have found someone that might help us.”

Given a new ray of hope, Kevin sat straight as he focused on the PI’s words. “You did? Who did you find?”

“Limei, Lady Chaehyun’s best friend. She’s out in the province right now. But her son is working under Mr. Park. He might know something.”

“Are you sure about this?” Kevin felt his heart might burst.

“Yes, sir. Lu Han is the only friend Young Master Kristian has ever since childhood.”

 

 

 

 

A.N.

 

Annyeong! Hey guys, thank you for subscribing to this story and for those who upvoted it, many many many thank you for you all!

I know I should have been updating TCH but since ChanBaek is happening, I couldn't help but write. Please tell me what you think? Shoot me some comments I love reading your thoughts!

'Til next time!

-Love lots, An Jae