Chapter 21: Bittersweet Lullaby

I'm Not Your Cinderella

a.n. okay sorry for this. > < here's a crappy update, i'm really sorry OTL

 

 

 

Chapter 21

Bittersweet Lullaby 

 

“What is…the meaning of this?” Mrs. Park muttered as her eyes alternately moved from the uninvited guest towards his son’s lover, Byun Baekhyun. It was obvious to the latter that he didn’t expect Kayne Heinsworth today, nor the fact that the man will suddenly claim him as his grandson. But there was something in those eyes that says he knew, and he recognized the nobleman.

Chanyeol on the other hand, was speechless to the point that he couldn’t even ask Baekhyun what is true and what is not. He stared at him, watch him step back at a time, shake his head and finally, dash through the crowd and disappear.

Before he could follow him, Kayne reprimanded him to do so. “Do not go near my grandson again, young man.” He inwardly growled. “I will talk to him, and by the time we’ll see each other again, it will be inside the court.” He warned. Kayne walked slowly to face the mother and her son. “I wonder…” he sneered, “How will all of you kneel before us, begging to spare your firstborn from the cruel life behind bars.”

Kayne turned his back on them, “But I assure you, with what Park Yoora did to my eldest, she will not see the outside world once he was sentenced by the law.”

 

 

_____

 

 

Baekhyun was shaking on the corner of his sofa set by the time Chanyeol reached Elizabeth two hours later. He hoped Baekhyun was in there and thankfully he was. Because they’ll need to talk—he has a lot of questions and he won’t leave Baekhyun’s room until he gets everything out of the other.

“Would you care to explain what just happened?” Chanyeol started as he slammed the door shut. Panting, he put his hands on his hips, closing his eyes in frustration and waited for the answer that never came. All he heard were sniffles and muffled cries. It breaks his heart, yes, but he doesn’t need it right now. He needed answers! He needed explanation because—for the love of heavens—Chanyeol couldn’t just stand here, and accept what he heard.

That what? Baekhyun was Kayne’s grandson? That Baekhyun, of all people, was related to the family who swore to hunt his sister down and make her life miserable? Chanyeol knew his sister—and she couldn’t do whatever they are accusing her. She had been Chanyeol’s second mother, while their parents were away and busying themselves with their companies. Yoora is not a bad person—he knew that.

“Baekhyun, ing answer me!” he cried out. “Stop crying for a while and explain to me,” Chanyeol groaned, “Please Baekhyun, I’m going crazy—“

“It’s true,” the other said, loud enough for him to hear. His cries died down, but he was still sniffling and hiccupping. Baekhyun’s back was him, shoulders sagged and who knows how bloated his face right now, eyes puffy and red from how hard he had been crying. “It’s true that I’m his grandson… I am… a Heinsworth, Chanyeol.”

The said man caught his breath, his world stilling for that very second.

“Y-you lied to me then?” Chanyeol asked in hushed whisper. “You lied about yourself?”

“I didn’t lie!” Baekhyun turned around, in his pathetic state, disheveled and torn from the inside. “I never lied about myself, Chanyeol. I just didn’t tell you the whole truth about my identity.”

“Then why hide it, Baek? Are you using me to get into my family, so yours can destroy mine for good?! Did you purposely do it so you could ruin our lives as your grandfather threatens us like this?!”

Baekhyun couldn’t stop himself that after he took a couple of strides toward Chanyeol, he swung his palm on the elder’s right cheek. It hit Chanyeol hard that he stumbled back.

“I didn’t even know why you hate Heinsworths this much. But remember when I tried to ask you why, you told me it wasn’t my business, Chanyeol. I never asked you again because I respect your privacy!”

“But you still hid this vital part from me Baekhyun!” Chanyeol fought back, “You never told me who you really are! Are you even real?! Or your identity is just a lie as well? Just tell me Baek, is this marriage a lie?!”

“I married you Chanyeol because I love you!” Baekhyun defended himself. “If you are worried about my identity, and the name of the person you married being a lie, I’m telling you right now that it isn’t. Byun Baekhyun is ing real and he is standing before you, Park Chanyeol! I lived my life in this name for nine ing years! My identity is not lie! As much as I am a Heinsworth, I am also a Byun. My mother had a name and I took it when I ran away from home!”

Chanyeol let his tears fell as the truth slowly showed itself. Baekhyun was breaking. The man who had a radiant smile and adorable laugh was turning into this mess, shredding the remaining shells of his fragile little heart he tried to protect.

“I’m the same man you married, Chanyeol…” Baekhyun cried, “But if the truth about my family, and my blood turned your affection for me into hatred then I will not stop you from filing a divorce…” Baekhyun whispered.

Chanyeol’s brows creased. No, he doesn’t want that.

“But first let me understand everything first,” Baekhyun choked on his sob. “Why you hate my family, and why mine hates yours.” He shook his head. “We can’t go on like this without learning the truth.”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol called but Baekhyun shook his head. He wiped his face with his palm, and took a deep breath. “I’ll take a leave, a week perhaps. I’ll be back by weekend, and by then, please make sure you know the side of your family, as I’ll ask for mine.”

Baekhyun walked passed Chanyeol but the latter caught his arm, taking him back on the spot before the CEO. Chanyeol didn’t waste time and captured Baekhyun’s lips on his, and the younger kissed him back. Sweet, loving and at the same time, bitter. Chanyeol muttered thousands of apologies between kisses, wrapping his arms around his lover’s waist. Baekhyun sobbed while it happened, and Chanyeol promised that whatever happens, he will not let Baekhyun go.

 

___

 

Two days later, Chanyeol received a call from his father that his elder sister, Yoora, has gone back from Paris. He doesn't know if this was because of the Heinsworths or if Yoora was forced by their parents to settle this mess on her own. Whatever the reason was, Chanyeol did not care because an hour later, he was gone and already on the road.

This was his chance to know the truth from her.

Being the busy person that he was, it was rare for him to visit the house where he grew up. Most of the time, he'd only come back here during holidays or if it was needed. Chanyeol's heart drummed in anxiety when he passed the gigantic gates of their estate. He rounded the fountain of their front yard, parking his car a little bit on the right before the main porch.

Taking longer strides than usual, Chanyeol went inside the manor with a sole purpose of having his sister alone in a private room. And after nine years of not seeing her, the younger Park noticed the changes on her.

Thinner than how she used to be, Park Yoora sat on their sofa set, talking with their parents in her knee-length carnation yellow dress. Her short hair was now dyed brown and parted on the side. Still beautiful, yes, Chanyeol admitted that when their eyes met, but he could tell the tiniest difference.

Yoora smiled at him and stood, welcoming him with a warm hug.

"Chanyeol-ah! You've grown taller!" she giggled.

Chanyeol returned it with a small smile that didn't reach his eyes. "It's good to see you, noona." he said when they parted.

If Chanyeol saw how her eyes dimmed upon receiving a cold greeting, he didn't show it and turned his attention to their parents.

"I'd like to talk to her alone,"

"Whatever you want to say to her, you have to say it in front of us." Their father said, "After all, this is a family matter, Chanyeol."

"I'm aware." he said in a cold tone, "But it's not only a family matter to me, father." he continued with clenched teeth and tight jaws. "This doesn't just affect our family, but it affected my relationship with Baekhyun as well."

"Don't you dare speak of that scum in front of us." his mother hissed.

"I'm sure that you and I both know that he's more than just a scum, mother." Chanyeol inwardly growled.

"I beg to differ."

"Who is Baekhyun?" Yoora interrupted.

Chanyeol turned to her with a blank expression. "I need to talk to you privately."

"Chanyeol--"

"It's okay, Dad." Yoora smiled at their father. "I'm sure Chanyeol has reasons why he wanted to talk to me alone."

"I sure have," he muttered.

"Let's go?" Yoora s her arms around Chanyeol's elbow, leading the way to one of their study room.

 

Once alone with his sister, Chanyeol asked her to sit in front of him as they sat on the couch by the shelf. Yoora must have noticed his reluctance to start because she did it for him.

"It's okay to ask Chanyeol, I've seen this coming, and you are old enough to ask." she smiled.

Brows creased into a frown, Chanyeol leaned forward with his elbows propped on his knees, fingers laced together when he started.

"Why..." Chanyeol pursed his lips, "Why did you marry Karlile noona?" he asked away, "Why did you suddenly choose him when you've been with Kevin for years?"

Yoora's smile slowly faded away, replaced with blank stare and parted lips.

"So...this is about that, huh?" she laughed bitterly. "Well, I--" Yoora took a deep breath, pausing for a second, "I loved Kevin, Chanyeol. He's all my first... But things changed and I had to make a choice. And I chose Karlile."

"What are those things, noona? What made you choose a man that was too old for you, whom you only met for a couple of months, over someone you, as you said it yourself, loved?"

Yoora bowed her head, feeling the prickle in his eyes. Even so, Chanyeol probed further.

"Did you fall out of love?"

Yoora shook her head.

"Did Karlile ask you to marry him instead of his brother?"

Again, she shook her head, now her shoulders shaking as she started to sob.

"Did you...did you choose him because of money?" This time Yoora looked up at Chanyeol with tear stained cheeks, guilty red eyes.

Chanyeol nodded, taking it as a yes. There was a moment of silence between them, and Chanyeol remembered the last time Kevin talked to him in his office

“She chose him for money,” Kevin huffed, “I was hurt at first, but then I realized how lucky I was that I didn’t end up with a woman like your sister. And how unfortunate my brother was to fall into her trap,”

He was ing right about it.

 

"Do you have an idea, what’s happening right now?” Chanyeol asked, voice trembling because God knows how much he’s trying to stop himself from breaking down. It’s too much—the truth hurts a lot, and if he could just do it, he wished to believe all the lies and tell himself that his sister is innocent. But his heart was refused so.

Because half of it was aching for his lover too.

“Noona, do you have a ing clue how I felt when I received the news that Heinsworths filed a murder case against you?!” Chanyeol exclaimed, now unable to control his emotions. “I couldn’t believe it at first—I thought all you did was steal from them, like what Kevin kept on telling me, and how you took his nephew with you. But all of a sudden, I will hear that you have murdered Karlile?”

Yoora finally broke down, wailing in front of her brother because all those years she’s been haunted by her sins. Every night, after she left the country nine years ago, Karlile’s face haunted her in even when she closed her eyes. She was blinded by greed that time. Before she knew it she had done a grave sin.

“But I want to hear it from you, noona, please, or so help me,” Chanyeol panted, “Because I am going crazy, putting all the puzzle pieces that all of you guys left me with.” His lower lips trembled, “Is it true?” he asked. Chanyeol almost whined, “Is it true that you poisoned Karlile to death?”

Yoora took Chanyeol’s fisted hand in her trembling pair. She couldn’t even look at him in guilt when she uttered a series of I’m sorry’s.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol. I… am sorry I failed you…”

And that was all it took for Chanyeol to understand.

“I overheard dad and mom talking sometime back then, and they…and they have decided to give you the company once you graduated, Chanyeol. They didn’t choose me because they don’t believe in me, in my ability. Did you know, when you were younger, and while both of us were still studying, no matter how flawless my grades are in school, and no matter how many achievements I earned for them to be proud at me, they never once glanced on my side and praised me.” Yoora smiled bitterly. “They have favoured you more than me. But don’t get me wrong,” she chuckled bitterly, “You were a perfect son for them, Yeollie, and I am a proud sister.” Yoora shook her head, “but I just wished that they could have shown me they were proud of me too…”

Chanyeol looked at her sister’s broken state. He never knew the pain of his elder sister, and Yoora hid it well. But now that everything is becoming clearer, he finally understood why she has been so desperate.

“They will not leave anything for me, I guessed. That’s why I—“ Yoora cried, “I became greedy. I didn’t want to be left with nothing, when all my life I dedicated everything for them.”

“And you thought stealing would save you from having nothing?” Chanyeol asked. “You thought that seducing Karlile would give you security?” he laughed bitterly. “Have you ever thought that even if mom and dad will give me everything, I will give you half of it, noona? Did you think that I will let that happen?” Chanyeol shook his head with a humourless laugh, “Truth to be told, I never wanted the company. I never wanted to be the CEO, nor have I any desire to have it. If you have been here when they gave this full of responsibility on my shoulder, and if I have known that you wanted to lead it, I will not bat an eyelash before I give it to you.”

“Chanyeol…” Yoora whimpered.

“You know what I wanted right?” The younger Park asked, “You know me more than they do, and you knew what my dream was. And it wasn’t to be the man I am right now.” Chanyeol shook his head. “If you had trusted me, that I will not let you down and I will not turn my back on you, then maybe you could have been a successful chairman of Park Publishing for years. You could’ve had your dream and I could’ve had mine.”

“I’m sorry…” Yoora chanted like a prayer. Chanyeol took a deep breath as he too, cried in hopelessness.

“I’m sorry too,” Chanyeol shook his head, “Because I cannot protect you from your crime, noona.”

“I know,” she whispered, “My guilt is killing me for years and I decided to pay for my sins.” Yoora smiled bitterly. “That’s why I came back here, Chanyeol. I wanted to bring justice for the family I’ve ruined.”

Chanyeol saw the sincerity of his sister and he smiled at her. It’s painful, but they have to face the consequences of the things they have done. Yoora was also just a human. They sin, they make mistakes, but even when she had done a serious crime, Chanyeol was proud of her now that she’s going to face the past rather than ran away from it. She’s ready to pay in the name of law.

He hugged her tight, comforting her and telling her that everything will be alright. Chanyeol will not leave her. If the time comes when Yoora started her new life behind the bars, Chanyeol will make sure to visit her. She would not be alone. Chanyeol will be there.

 

_____

 

At first, Baekhyun wanted to curse fate for playing with him. He wanted scream and cry. He was ripped inside because of the mixed emotions he was feeling upon knowing the truth behind this war between his family and Chanyeol’s.

Park Yoora, was Chanyeol’s elder sister.

The woman who slowly took his father away from him, shares the same blood with the man he loves, and the man he married.

The world spun when his grandfather told him the truth when he met him in the hotel he’s staying at. Kevin was also there, and they gave him the evidences of everything they are telling him.

Baekhyun was damn tired of crying. He had been doing that for days. Since he didn’t want to go back to his pad and risk seeing Chanyeol, he spent the remaining nights of his leave in Luhan’s place. His best friend listened to everything, he comforted him and he stayed with him. If it wasn’t for him, Baekhyun might have gone crazy or worse.

He should have hated Chanyeol, but then he realized it wasn’t his fault. Maybe he didn’t know, but if he does, it’s natural for him to take his sister’s side. She’s his family. But nonetheless, it wasn’t Chanyeol who sinned against him—against his family. It wasn’t him who killed his father.

But it doesn’t mean it hurts any less.

Needless to say that Baekhyun was drained with everything. Adding to his frustration was the fact that the first hearing in the court will take place on Monday. There, he was required to attend and be a witness. There, he’ll see his step-mother again. There, he’ll see her with Chanyeol beside her.

Baekhyun was sure that it was killing Chanyeol as much as it kills him. He wondered if Chanyeol would hate him forever. How would he accept that the man he married was the one who will put his sister to jail?

How fair is that?

How fair is it for both of them?

 

 

The question was still hanging in the air, and probably will not be answered. But even so, Baekhyun dragged himself back to his pad that Sunday night. He was tired and he just wanted to close his eyes and forget reality. He wished not to feel because he was tired of it.

To his surprise, when he opened the door, he found Chanyeol on his living room. He was sitting there silently, staring at a distance in his dishevelled state. The circle under his eyes meant he fared no better than him.

When he clicked the door close, Chanyeol raised his head to meet his eyes. Baekhyun could only offer a sad smile and a soft, “Hi…”

Chanyeol didn’t move, but he followed him with his gaze. As Baekhyun removed his shoes, he dropped his backpack on the floor and walked towards Chanyeol’s direction. He was a couple of feet away when Chanyeol asked, “Have you eaten already?”

Baekhyun was surprised. He was expecting anything but that. “I… I haven’t, I don’t have the appetite. You?”

Chanyeol’s lips stretched a bit, “Same.”

The elder raised his hand and took his, pulling him to his lap. Baekhyun straddled him and put his hands on his shoulders. They stared at each other for a while, and it felt strange, at the same time, it was scary.

Scary because, it’s as if they’re memorizing each other’s face.

“I take it that you already knew the truth?” Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol’s jaws tightened. Upon seeing that, Baekhyun swallowed thorns and apologized. But Chanyeol quickly shook his head, reaching out to trace his lover’s face, “I should be the one to apologize…for being a clueless dumb.”

Baekhyun’s lips trembled, “Chanyeol, I’m going to send your sister to prison.” He said as a lone tear fell, drawing a glistening line on his flawless cheeks. “You should hate me.”

Chanyeol chuckled hopelessly, “Was that as cruel as murdering your father? Because I am wondering why you’re not throwing up as I’m touching you right now.”

“It wasn’t your fault Chanyeol…”

“And it wasn’t yours either…” he whispered. Chanyeol fixed his gaze on his princess. “It was just fate’s cruel little game.”

Baekhyun reached out to wipe the elder’s saline beads, “Do you hate me, Chanyeol?” The said man leaned against the palm cupping his face, muttering a soft, determined no. Baekhyun’s heart broke for it was followed by a series of sobs. Chanyeol’s arms fell around his waist, tightening around it like Chanyeol was so afraid to let him go.

“I don’t hate you…” Chanyeol cried against his chest, “I can never hate you…princess.”

Baekhyun bit his lower lip, tasting his own tears on it. His fingers were entwined with Chanyeol’s dark locks when he pulled him closer, tighter. “Chanyeol…” he softly wept, resting his forehead on the elder’s crown. “What have we done wrong, Chanyeol?” he asked, “What have we done to suffer like this?”

Chanyeol couldn’t bear it anymore that he stole Baekhyun’s lips with his. He kissed him feverishly, tasting both of their tears in it. He did it not only once, not only twice, but repeatedly. Everytime Baekhyun tried to speak, he’s sealing it with his lips.

“We just—“ Baekhyun whimpered when Chanyeol ripped the back of the sweatshirt he was wearing, tearing it apart to feel his skin underneath. “—wanted to love—“

Chanyeol suffocated themselves, stealing both of their breaths away. His hands flew in every part of Baekhyun, he stripped him, he touched him, he worshipped him. Baekhyun sang his name, he hugged him, he kissed him, he loved him.

“Chanyeol—“ Baekhyun clawed on his back, marking his territory. Chanyeol planted his blues on his lover’s neck, shoulders, his chest and even his thighs.

“Nothing is wrong,” Chanyeol whispered against his ear. Baekhyun broke down upon hearing that. He sobbed on Chanyeol’s shoulders, his name. Chanyeol buried himself in him, kissing the crown of his head as he felt every drop of Chanyeol’s tears on his scalp.

“Nothing is wrong princess.” He said again.

 

____

Limbs tangled together, they lied skin to skin on the small space the sofa could give them. Covered with each other’s warmth, secured in each other’s arms, they spent the night close to each other.

Chanyeol’s arms served as Baekhyun’s pillow while he played with the white gold ring hanging on the chain around his princess’ neck.

“Those five days in Spain was unforgettable, Baek.” He whispered with a smile. “The best days of my life.”

Baekhyun hummed, looking up at him, “Let me see my ring,” he said and Chanyeol held up his right hand, the band on his pinky finger was hilarious but it pulled their heartstrings. Chanyeol smiled while Baekhyun played with it with his finger, “It was your idea to switch it.”

“It’s boring if I wear mine and you wear yours.” Baekhyun pouted. “This way, we carry each other wherever we go, right?”

“Right,” Chanyeol whispered. “No matter where we are,”

Baekhyun leaned up to kiss Chanyeol, cupping his face with a hand.

 

They let sleep take over them, cradled by each other, listening to each other’s heartbeat. No matter how they try to break them apart, no matter how people wanted to make them suffer, they would not break. If tomorrow might be the intersection and they have to part ways then so be it.

They didn’t know and they will never know the truth between the two of them.

But if one day it reveals itself, it will be too late anyway.

Because Baekhyun will always be Chanyeol’s just as Chanyeol will always be Baekhyun’s.

 

 

 

 

a.n.#2:

drop comments below please! ahahhhahaha thanks for waiting for this UD. > < 

 

 

 

 

P.S. im not yet done *evil laugh* #ifuknowwhatimean