Chapter 19: The Lost One

I'm Not Your Cinderella

Chapter 19

The Lost One

 

The tea had gone cold in his cup and still Kevin received no confirmation from the lady of Kristian's whereabouts. As much as he wanted to ask more, he knew he wasn't in the place. After all, Limei's actions are enough for Kevin to assume that he made the right choice to ask the woman. She seemed to be thinking of what to say, contemplating if Kevin was worthy enough to be told the truth.

Another few minutes passed before Limei placed her tea on the coffee table. 

"I know that you only mean well, child. I also know that you missed him too." She started, crossing her legs and lacing her fingers together, while her elbows were propped on the armrest of the cream colored couch. "Let's say that I know where the young master is, I would still prioritize if giving him back to you was good for him or not."

Kevin's brows furrowed, inwardly questioning Limei's intentions. But before he could react, she explained herself immediately. "On your side, no one knew what happened before Kristian left home. It was horrible, Kevin. It broke him to pieces. It took years for him to get back on his feet. I won't waste them by tossing him back to the place which crushed his heart." Limei shook her head, "I don't want that for him."

Kevin saw the genuine care Limei had for his nephew. Because of this, all he could do was nod in agreement, because he only wanted what's best for Kristian.

"Are we clear about this, Kevin?" she asked.

"Yes," he said.

 

With one last breather, Limei told him the dreadful story behind Kristian disappearance, that he himself, didn't expect.

 

"Kevin, Yoora was slowly poisoning your brother from the day they got married. And Kristian only found it out a few weeks before his father died."

Kevin's heart skipped a beat. "W-What?"

"She's switching the medicines that the doctor prescribed your brother to avoid further complications with drugs that harmed him more." Limei continued. Her face shows deep regret and sadness, head bowing and eyes closing, as if trying to stop herself from remembering Kristian's empty eyes the first time she saw him after the incident.

"And it was Kristian whom Yoora was asking to deliver the medicine to his father."

Kevin, for the first time in his life, wanted to search the globe not just to find Yoora, but also kill her. How could she murder his brother like that? How could she put Kristian in the middle of her schemes? Did she even think what would his nephew feel upon realizing that somehow, he became the instrument to kill his own father?

"H-how..." Kevin asked in broken sentence, "how did you know--"

Limei raised her hand to stop him, "Let me finish Kevin..." she smiled sadly, then she continued, "I knew all of these, through Kristian's psychiatrist, Dr. Zhang."

"S-so it's true, you are the one who took him in."

"When my son Luhan, received the news that Kristian was missing, he left with his bike, and went out to find his best friend. I remember that time, my husband and I was furious as hell, but then we realized that Kristian really needed us that time, that he needed Luhan that time. We looked for Luhan and after three hours of hide and seek, we found them in the next city. All that has happened in those three hours were kept by Luhan and Kristian himself. But I believe, my son saw your nephew taking the bus, and he went with him."

 

It was all too much to take in. Kevin wished he was there for his nephew. In his age, Kristian might think that he had killed his dad. If not, he would still blame himself for not noticing it early. 

"It wasn't his fault," Kevin whispered, his throat clogging up from the threat of tears leaving his glassy eyes. "We never blamed him... We didn't even know what Yoora did, he should have told us!"

"Kevin, Kristian was just thirteen," Limei reasoned, "with a father who was sick, and a stepmother who doesn't even care about him. Without his mother, you and his grandfather by his side back then, he was bound to think the worst." 

Swallowing his tongue, Kevin formed fists with his hands. Limei was right. In the first place, Kristian was left alone without guidance. Heck, he might have harboured hatred for his father, for marrying another woman in such as short span of time after his mother died.

As if confirming what he thought, Limei continued with her story, "No one knew what was on his mind. Kristian, after we took him, closed the doors to his heart. He stopped going to school, and he stopped painting, he stopped caring about himself---he just stopped living at all."

"Damn it," he cursed catching his head in his palm.

Thinking that the man needed time for himself, Limei excused herself, telling Kevin that he'd be by the dining room if he ever needs her.

 

 

Right after Kevin gathered himself, he asked the way to the dining room to meet Limei. He was sure that he was ready whatever that was still in store. He has to, in order to understand Kristian if he was to meet him, hopefully in the future. 

Limei smiled at him upon seeing Kevin enter the dining room. She gestured for him to sit down. As he did, she took out a folder from her lap and gave it to him. 

 

"Inside here were Kristian's records and new identity that we gave him here in Korea. Included there were his diplomas and birth certificate. I trust that you only want the best for him, but I know that Kristian is now on the right age to choose the path that he will take. I trust that you wouldn't force him and let the child think and decide, Kevin."

With trembling hands, Kevin took the folder. He gave the woman one last look before opening the said thing. He prepared himself for what he'll see. Kevin had wondered many times how Kristian grew while he was away from his family. Did he go to a prominent school? Did he got a girlfriend? When? How? Did Kristian managed to be a painter like he always wanted to be? Did he become a handsome young man? 

 

All his questions were slowly answered upon laying his eyes on the profile page. Kristian Heinsworth was the little boy lost in England, but the person who was found by the Lu family had a different name and a different background. He graduated in the same high school and university with Luhan. He took up Music as his major, and graduated with flying colors. He had medical records from Dr. Zhang, clinically diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and treated for almost three years before he got better. 

Right after he graduated, he had no records of having a job, that was, until this year.

 

Kevin couldn't believe what his eyes are seeing. All this time, he's been searching, and searching. What he didn't know, that the person he was longing for to see again, was just under his nose. 

"Byun Baekhyun..."

That explains why he felt at ease with him, why he felt so nostalgic. That young man, why didn't he see the signs of him being his nephew? Did he even recognized his own uncle? He would understand if he didn't, but if he did, why did he hide the truth?

 

____

 

 

Sitting on the carpeted floor of his pad, Chanyeol was busy surfing the net, concentrated on the pages he's visiting one by one. Baekhyun, who just got out of the shower, found his lover like that. With a fond smile on his face, he took the stairs while rubbing his hair dry, "What are you doing there, Mr. Park?"

Grunting, Chanyeol creased his brows, tapping the touchpad, "Princess, I swear you're the most stubborn person I've ever met."

Chuckling, Baekhyun tossed the damp towel on the backrest of the sofa, rounding the furniture to sit beside the giant. "You can bet that," he said, as Chanyeol's arms wrapped around his waist.

"Come sit in front of me," Chanyeol said as he manoeuvred the smaller male to set him on the position that both of them will be comfortable. Once Baekhyun's back was settled against his chest, he savoured the scent of Baekhyun's shampoo and body wash. His princess smelled so good that he could hug him all day.

"Look here," he pointed at the screen. "What do you think of this model?"

 

Baekhyun's brows creased upon looking at the expensive looking house model in front of him. He found it elegant but it was quite too simple for his taste. As he told the other about his opinion, Chanyeol clicked another picture. It goes like that for several times. The CEO would ask about his thoughts, if he doesn't like it, he'd pick another picture.

"Wait a second," Baekhyun craned his neck up to look at the giant, "Why are you asking me about houses?"

Chanyeol took off his glasses, blinking his tired eyes, "Well," he chuckles, arms tightening around Baekhyun's waist, "I would like us to have our own house. We can't just stay like this, Baekhyun, you know that."

"But Chanyeol those houses--"

"Are perfect homes for us. I'll just need your opinion on the design that you would like for our first house to have."

Baekhyun was at loss of words. He stared at Chanyeol, as if he's waiting for him to laugh and tell that it was all a joke. But Chanyeol didn't. He was staring at him in a very loving way. A stare that declares everything his heart says. Baekhyun couldn't look away. They were a pair of bottomless ocean, and he's drowning in them. 

He twisted in his seat, now facing Chanyeol properly. He cupped the man's face in his hands and said, "Chanyeol, you know that you don't have to do this for me."

The said man put his hands over his, smiling, "I don't have to, but I want to." he stated, "I want to give you everything, Baek. I want to spoil you. I want this to be perfect for you."

"All I want for us to be perfect is you, Chanyeol."

Chuckling, Chanyeol leaned closer to catch his lips in a chaste kiss. "You were my princess, Baek. Now you're my queen," he whispered. "I already gave you your crown but it won't be complete until we have our own castle."

Baekhyun's lips stretched into an amused smile. Chanyeol never failed to insert his fairytale-of-an-analogy in their conversations. He rubbed their noses together, pinching him on the side that got Chanyeol jolting.

"You sappy giant man." 

"But it was true," The CEO chuckled.
"Yeah, whatever." Baekhyun stood up from his seat, remembering that he has to drink coffee. 

"You're not finished here, princess," he reminded. “Where are you going?”

"I'll be back! Sheesh, I'm just gonna make coffee." Baekhyun shook his head with a grin.

 

____

 

The Annual Book Fair was scheduled next week, and because of this, Chanyeol had been busier than usual. He didn't like how he couldn't see his princess, nor how he should stand with the people that just annoy the hell out of him. If they weren't incompetent, sometimes they are idiots. But still, he was thankful to have some who was doing their jobs right. 

But back to his princess, Chanyeol missed him so much. Within that week, they barely had time together, since he's working overtime and by the time he goes home, Baekhyun is already asleep. Chanyeol had insisted for his lover to learn how to drive so he could go home without him, but his princess, as always, declined. Baekhyun would always take the bus to go home, leaving the car to Chanyeol to take after work.

Due to these circumstances, Chanyeol's built up frustration and ual deprivation caused him to become grumpy and somehow judgmental to those people around Baekhyun.

 

The first time it happened, it was lunch break. Chanyeol just got out of another meeting as he left the lift when he saw Baekhyun on the marketing department talking with Yixing. That short span of time, he saw Baekhyun laughing with the guy, and he doesn't know if it's just him, but he saw his lover's eyes twinkling. 

But because he got a tight schedule that day and he knew Baekhyun wouldn't like it he confronts them right then and there, he just let it pass, going back to his office with an almost permanent scowl on his face.

 

The second time it happened was two days later. It was the only time that week that Chanyeol had an early out. The CEO managed to finish his paper works and heavily weaved meetings after meetings. He was honestly looking forward to the time he could spend with Baekhyun because, dammit, he missed him so much.

But all his hopes were crushed when he went to Baekhyun's office, just to see him and Sehun working on the major poster of the author's trilogy. It was decided that Sehun's series will be the one featured so Baekhyun was tasked to make a very captivating poster of the main characters.

Chanyeol still tried, though, asking if Baekhyun could come home with him that day, but Baekhyun gave him a sorry look saying, "I can't Chanyeol. I have to finish this tonight..." 

The illustrator wasn't blind to see how Chanyeol's shoulders sagged upon hearing that. 

"Fine." was Chanyeol's cold answer before walking out of the small office.

 

Sehun gave Baekhyun a look, clearly worried for the two of them. But Baekhyun isn't the one to set aside work if it could be done today. With their hectic schedule, he wanted everything to be finished as soon as possible. So he shook his head, telling the author to focus and let Chanyeol be, that the CEO would understand.

 

_____

 

 

Chanyeol wasn't blessed with long patience, but he was sure that he has enough for an average human being. He was sure that he had waited enough, that he had been understanding and considerate because of the workload he and Baekhyun both have. But then, like a candle that loses its life as it keeps on burning, Chanyeol was bound to lose it.

And boy, he did. t happened that weekend. Chanyeol thought that finally, he could have Baekhyun to himself. He asked him out, and Baekhyun, who missed spending time with the CEO himself, agreed immediately. They ate lunch together, went to malls to shop for suits that they have to wear on the Annual Book Fair. Now that they are having a break in a coffee shop, Baekhyun and Chanyeol started talking about their works. It could have been one of their normal conversations, but fate just had to challenge them today.

Baekhyun's phone rang in the middle of their conversation, halting Chanyeol from talking. The illustrator excused himself and answered it.

"Sehun? Yes?"

Chanyeol was aware that this was not the first time he got jealous over the fact that Sehun and Baekhyun spend more time together, because of their job. He knew that Sehun, despite his bratty attitude, isn't the kind of guy who flirts if they are already tied with an official lover. But even so, today was supposed to be his and Baekhyun's time. Away from work. Away from the world.

"I'll check it out later, okay, I'm with Chany--hey, wait, Chanyeol what are you doing?" Baekhyun was cut off mid-sentence when his lover snatched his phone, turned it off and shoved it in his pocket.

"We're going home," was the last thing that the CEO said before grabbing his hand, taking all of their things and dragging him out.

 

Their ride back home was accompanied with built up tension. Baekhyun couldn't stay still in his seat. His left hand was trapped in Chanyeol's much larger one. His grip was tighter than normal that Baekhyun thought that his fingers had gone numb already. When they arrived at the Chanyeol's pad, the CEO dropped all the paper bags he'd been holding before pushing Baekhyun against the door.

 

"Chanyeol--" Baekhyun started but was immediately silenced by the taller man's aggressive and hungry kiss. Their bodies, pressed against each other, were getting hotter by the minute while their lips were still locked. It was a battle between them. Baekhyun had the closest idea on why his lover was acting like this.

Knowing Chanyeol, the man could be very jealous when provoked. It wasn’t only because of people, but sometimes, he gets irritated by the fact that his main rival of Baekhyun’s attention was their work. Baekhyun was aware that because of the company’s event, they barely had time for each other so maybe, Chanyeol lost it when even in weekends, Sehun called him about work.

Well, come to think of it, it wasn’t the first time that Chanyeol became like this because of the same reason.

“Cha—mmf­­—Chanyeol wait!” Baekhyun gasped, pushing the CEO away to get some oxygen back to his lungs. Yet even as their lips detached, Chanyeol didn’t stop latching his lips on Baekhyun’s skin. His kisses crawled down to Baekhyun’s chin, down to his neck. “Chanyeol calm the down, will you!” Baekhyun used all his strength to stop the elder, shoving him off of his space and holding him on the shoulders to keep distance.

Eyes blown, and brows furrowed, the CEO gazed at Baekhyun’s dishevelled state, until Baekhyun cupped his face and said, “I know what you want and I know where it came from. So please stop acting like some deprived maniac, Yeol. You’re better than that.”

The CEO sighed and slumped against Baekhyun’s much smaller body. With his head on his shoulders, Chanyeol whined, “Sometimes… I have this thought that I should have never asked you to be Sehun’s illustrator. I should have locked you up so no one could steal your time from me.”

Baekhyun laughed at his lover’s silliness, “We’re functioning adults, giant. We have responsibilities.” He pulled away and gazed into Chanyeol’s beautiful almond shaped eyes. “It’s only for a short time, okay? After the Book Fair, we’ll take a day off and I’m all yours.”

Chanyeol somehow agreed to Baekhyun. He’s right. It’s only for now, because of their event. They’d go back to their normal routine after this. By then he’ll make sure to pamper his princess and do the things they couldn’t for now because of their schedule. However, since Chanyeol is also a man who has his needs, the CEO leaned closer to his lover’s ears and whispered how he badly needs Baekhyun tonight.

The latter couldn’t say no, after all, he felt just the same.

 

The morning after, Baekhyun woke up feeling like a truck ran over him. He could barely move his limbs and he almost fell on his bum when he tried walking to the bathroom to pee. Chanyeol, on the other hand, was sleeping like a log. They spent the long night hot, wild and sticky. He couldn’t remember what time they fell asleep, but he was sure that it wasn’t before midnight.

After a soothing warm bath, Baekhyun went down the stairs to prepare some breakfast. Well, his plan was cut short when he saw that Chanyeol’s stock had run out. Deciding that it wouldn’t take him that long to buy some ingredients, he left a note on the fridge saying he’ll be out to buy some necessities.

 

_____

 

Kevin let the week passed as he began to trace the life of Byun Baekhyun. He gathered all the information about him, even his government and health records. He searched the place where he stays, the places where he usually goes and of course, his daily routines. Within that week, Kevin was able to gather information about a controversial connection between Park Chanyeol and his nephew. He wasn’t sure, because all that was ever reported to him is that Baekhyun and Chanyeol were seen together most of the time, especially when they are going to work and when they are going home.

Normally, he wouldn’t go with his investigators. But today, as they waited for Baekhyun to leave the building where he’s staying at, Kevin decided that it was time to step in and make himself known.

He followed Baekhyun to the mini mart, where he watched him buy some raw vegetables and other foods to stock. Kevin waited for him outside and hoped that today, he’d finally have the answers to his questions.

It didn’t take long for Baekhyun to notice him when he stepped out of the mart. Before, Kevin never took time to observe how Baekhyun reacts whenever they talk, or whenever they meet. But now, his eyes were keen on the slightest change on him as they recognized each other. Baekhyun, or Kristian, as he wanted to say, was surprised to the point of jumping back upon seeing him. But it was instantly replaced with a careful and somewhat, shy smile.

“Mr. Heinsworth…”

To Baekhyun, the elder seemed odd today. Before, he would greet Baekhyun and ask how he’s been. He clearly remembered how comfortable they were with each other last time at the mall. Today though, he wasn’t sure why Kevin was giving him that look. It was unsettling, to say at least. It felt like he was being judged from head to toe.

“Uhm… as much as I wanted to chat, I have to go back early,” Baekhyun said, bowing, “It’s nice seeing you today. Uhm, happy shopping?” he said, chuckling nervously before turning on the corner.

Yet before he could even take three steps, a much larger hand grabbed him by his elbow, demanding him to stay. Whipping his head back to the taller male, Baekhyun was nailed on his spot. “I have a lot of questions to ask,” Kevin said, “And I know that this isn’t the ideal way to start it but I couldn’t help…”

There seemed to be something that clogs his throat, as Kevin stops himself from embracing the younger man. But his eyes betrayed him, obviously Baekhyun’s surprise morphed into confusion and worry. “M-Mr. Heinsworth, are you okay?”

Shaking his head, Kevin laughed bitterly, “I don’t know why are playing this game, but until when are you going to pretend that you don’t know me at all?”

Baekhyun stopped breathing.

“Until when are you going to call me Mr. Heinsworth, like I’m a complete stranger to you?” Kevin’s grip tightened on his arm. “Tell me, Kristian,

Heaven and earth has just collapsed on his shoulder. The world shrinks, and Baekhyun felt smaller than how he was before.  

“Until when are you going to hide? All of us almost lost our minds looking for you, wondering if you are still alive or if you’ve been rotting for that nine years you’ve been gone! Kristian—“

Baekhyun snatched his arm and took three steps back away from this man, his uncle who, somehow, found out about his real identity. Honestly, right now, fright is eating him inside out—he wanted to run, he wanted to go back to Chanyeol and hide in his embrace. He doesn’t want to go back to the past.

But now that the past is the one haunting him, what should he do?

Kevin waited for his answer—not the first and last, he hoped.

“Let’s talk about this somewhere else…” Baekhyun whispered, head down, voice merely a whisper. “Please…uncle.”

 

 

 

 

A.N:

Meh, just a Yeol who couldn't keep it in his pants anymore. LOL.

chanyeol is so oblivious that things are bound to get more complicated between him and his princess.

lacking time to spend with baekkie isn't even half of it hahahhaha

 

p.s. sorry no hahhaha. next time maybe? what do you think? sorry if it's boring > <