Monster - Part 9

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four days before their marriage registration and 1 day after getting well.

When she woke up that day she decided to be the one who made her own breakfast.

“Yong, you’re still working?” She asks as she steps out of the bedroom. She was freshly showered and had changed into jeans, white tee, a peach cardigan and sandals. Her hair was still wet.

The smell of cherry blossoms and her warmth reaches his nostrils. As always his incisors descend. Joohyun’s scent would always drive him into his primal desire – her blood.

He clears his head and smiles at her. “Yes, I had several international meetings to attend with Minhyuk. I’ve been away too long and needed reports.”

“I understand.” She smiles and approaches him.

The scent was bearing heavily on his senses. “Joohyun….”

“Just one kiss.” She bends and kisses him quickly. “Mian for disturbing you.”

Yonghwa closes his eyes and feels the soft lips against his own. The scent of cherry blossoms surround him and without thinking he pulls her to his lap. His lips fasten on hers and he embraces her tightly. He fights for control over his vampire instincts – he wanted to kiss Joohyun as a lover, as a man.

Joohyun understood that he wouldn’t open his mouth so she contents herself with his lips against her own. Her arms go around him and she inhales the sweet clean scent that always came from his body.

“Although you would never know because of the thick curtains – good morning Jung Yonghwa.” She smiles at him.

“Good morning Joohyunah.” He looks at her.  He speaks slowly and doesn’t smile. He knew his eyes were dark and his hands were talons but he didn’t even see her flinch – her dear face continued to smile at him.

She gets off his lap and leans to give one more kiss. “I’ll go make myself some breakfast. Do you want to sit with me?”

He nods and points to the empty metal cups on his desk. “I’ll sit with you.”

She picks up the cups and heads for the kitchen.  She knew he needed sometime to compose himself – for the talons to retract, for his eyes to become golden brown again.  She busies herself in the kitchen, re-heating the prepared food.  She chose abalone porridge not wanting to offend his senses with the smell of food. She makes barley tea and was reaching for a bowl when she feels his hand on her back.

“Here let me take that for you.” He reaches and takes one the plain white bowls in the cabinet. They were white celadon bowls worth a lot of money and were considered priceless antiques. But he wanted Joohyun to eat out of the bowl – Jonghyun can just fret later. He also takes a matching white celadon cup for her tea.

“Thank you.” She gives him a bright smile. She brings out the chopsticks and puts her food on the table. Carefully ladling the porridge on the bowl and barley tea in the cup.

“Talk to me.” She tells him. She was still self-conscious about eating in front of him.

“Your hair is wet and you might get sick. Again.” He tells her.

She scowls and sighs. “Criticism isn’t one of the things I want to hear this morning.”

“I wasn’t criticizing you Joohyunah – I was merely pointing it out.” He replies in all seriousness.

 “Ara – I will dry my hair when I finish eating.” She replies. He was worried and it made her happy. She tired easily and she didn’t want to alarm him. “I’m going to cut my hair anyway.”

“Absolutely not.” Was the swift reply. “No.”

“Why not? It’s hard to dry it.” She answers back.

“I’ll dry your hair for you every night for the rest of our lives just don’t cut your hair.” He leans and looks at her in all seriousness.

Joohyun’s face registers surprise. “Why not?”

“Because.” He blinks then crosses his arms. The golden brown eyes glint. His face mirrored his irritation.

“Give me reason not just because. Besides it’s my hair.” She reasons.

“When you become a vampire your hair will remain the same length forever.” He replies. “You don’t want to be stuck with short hair forever do you?”

“That’s alright. I’ve had short hair before – when I was in high school.” She finishes her food and her tea. She couldn’t understand his objection.

Then like a woman she suddenly understands his objection – she remembers how he would run his hands on the strands of her hair when they were lying down. He would wind her tresses around his fingers and twirl the strands around. But like a woman also she wanted him to admit that was the reason for his objection to her cutting her hair.

  “Doesn’t my opinion matter to you?” He leans and puts his elbows on the marble counter. He was disturbed – he wasn’t used to not being followed.

“Of course it does but you must state your reason for objecting. Isn’t that the rational train of thought?” Joohyun stands and takes the bowl, cup and chopsticks to the sink. She needed to turn her back to him so he wouldn’t see her smile.

He makes an impatient sound. “I just think you look better with the length of hair you have now.” The thought of scissors cutting the long wavy tresses were actually painful for him.

“Thank you for your opinion. I’ll take that into consideration when I go to the hairdresser today.” She replies. She was carefully washing the cup and bowl – they looked fragile and she probably shouldn’t be using them. She made a mental note to ask Yoona about the all the items in the kitchen cabinets.

“Can you make the appointment at night so I can go with you?” He was standing next to her.

Joohyun was so surprised that she almost dropped the cup. “Yah! Don’t creep up on me like that! I almost dropped this.”

“Sorry.” He steps back. “So let me go with you to the hairdresser. Okay?”

Joohyun couldn’t help herself anymore. He sounded so concerned about her hair. It was funny. She dries her hands and faces him.

“Be honest and tell me why you don’t want me to cut my hair.” She asks.  She bit her inner cheek to keep from laughing. His face showed his discomfort and his irritation with having to explain himself. “Tell me.”

He crosses his arms and steps closer to her. He looks at her face and clears his throat. “Because I like to run my hands on your hair. I don’t want you to cut it.”

Joohyun gives him a radiant smile. She stands on tiptoe and kisses his cheek. “See that wasn’t so bad. If you love my hair then I won’t have it cut. Just maybe a bit on the ends for split ends and fix my bangs. Just a couple of inches.”

“No – 1 inch only. All around.” He replies seriously. “Promise me.”

Joohyun’s laughter echoes as she kisses him. “Alright. 1 inch. Old fashioned person.”

“That I am.” He replies and wraps his arms around her.

She sighs and rests her head on his chest, her arms around his waist, her hands laced. Happy.

“Let‘s dry your hair.” He pulls her to the bedroom.

“I can do it myself.” She replies.

He didn’t answer. He leads her to bathroom and sits her on the stool. Taking the dryer he methodically dries her hair.

Joohyun smiles at the mirror as she watches his face concentrate on drying her hair. His hands where gentle and he adjusted the heat accordingly. After making sure her hair was dry he takes the wide tooth comb to remove the tangles and then a paddle brush. He takes hair serum and runs it over her hair.

“There.” He smiles at her across the mirror.

“Did you do this to anyone before?” Joohyun asks. She was curious.

“Uhm – to myself. With Okasama’s instructions. I had long hair until the 1980’s.  I had to braid it. But then I decided to cut it and I kept my braid in a special box. All my children cut their hair too and likewise kept their hair in special boxes. Yoona had that length of hair when she turned and she’s always lamented the fact that she has short hair. This is what I meant when I said that you may regret cutting your hair as it will always remain the same length.”

“And that’s the reason – not that you love my hair?” She asks with twinkling eyes.

“Ah Joohyunah stop teasing! Don’t cut your hair because I’m an old fashioned vampire who likes his mate to have long hair so he could run his hands thru her hair. Clear enough for you?”  He exclaims and holds up his hands in exasperation.

“Thank you for your honesty Nauri.” She stands and embraces him. “Thank you for fixing my hair. I will keep it long because I want to please you. Honest enough for you?”

He shakes his head. “You are definitely feeling better.” He kisses her forehead. “Don’t forget to drink your vitamins. Jungshin has been asking if he could examine you today.”

“He can come up now.” She replies then she suddenly embraces him again. “Can we go out tonight? It’s been so long since we went out. Please.”

Yonghwa looks down at her hopeful face and his fingers gently twirls the ends of her hair. “Alright. Make a late appointment with your hairdresser. Then we can go anywhere you want.”

He was rewarded with a lovely smile and a quick hug before she steps back and beams at him. “Thank you Yong. You’re always nice to me.”

“Ah I have to remind you of that especially when you’re mad at me.” He quips. “Now I have to get back to work.”

Together they go to the living room. Yonghwa sits on his chair and turns on his laptop. Joohyun sits on the piano and starts her scales. Soon the room was filled with speckles of white light.  Yonghwa looks up and confirms his observation – the shape and size of the white light that came out from Joohyun depended on her state of mind. This morning they looked like little stars twirling around the room before disappearing into the coins in the curtains and the ancient doors. They surrounded him briefly and settled on his body but he felt no pain.

Joohyun starts playing randomly – “Summer time”, “A Time for Us”, “Evergreen” – her voice soft and low as she sang.

Yonghwa stops and listens to her play and sing.  She looks up at him and smiles. He was once again struck by how attractive she was to him. The pale face with the lightest blush on her cheeks, the expressive eyes, the pointed chin, pink smiling lips all capped by a glorious mane of brown wavy hair.

And he honestly admitted that he was irrevocably in love with this woman.

“Why are you staring at me?” She asks as she stands up from the piano.

“Nothing. You played excellently as usual. Thank you.” He smiles at her before once more looking at his laptop.

Joohyun had a small smile on her lips as she sits on the sofa and tucks her feet under her. She picks up her book and reads. One of the things she especially liked in this penthouse was Yonghwa’s diverse book collection.  Right now she was reading Nelson Mandela’s autobiography.

Then the ancient doors open to admit Jungshin.

“Nauri.” Yonghwa’s youngest bows before his Maker. Then he smiles and waves at Joohyun.

“Hyunnie annyeong!”

“Shin-nee annyeong!” Joohyun smiles and closes her book. “My you look handsome in your suit!” She stands up and walks around him.

“Ah – well I am downstairs in the office with Minhyuk and he always insists on office attire. Even Jonghyun Hyung has to comply.”

“Doesn’t he look handsome Yong?” Joohyun looks at Yonghwa.

“I suppose.” Yonghwa answers.

Joohyun smiles mischievously. Not he wasn’t handsome – Yonghwa was only in a black tee and a steel gray cardigan with his usual black pants and shoes but he looked breathtakingly beautiful in her eyes. Except that she wanted to see his reaction to her praising another man. Her heart was absurdly happy to see the look of irritation pass briefly in his eyes before he corrects himself and answers indifferently.

Jungshin and Joohyun smile at each other. They were used to Yonghwa’s attitude.  She invites him to sit down and told him to not bother with gloves.

“Wear gloves.” It was a command that Jungshin could not disobey.

He smiles at Joohyun and puts the white gloves. He carefully checks the nodules on Joohyun’s neck.  He checks her tongue, tonsils, eyes and ears. Then her pulse and blood pressure.

“Let’s check your lungs.”  Jungshin tells her. “Can you untuck your tee? Let’s stand.”

“Is that really necessary?” Yonghwa was immediately beside Joohyun.

Jungshin clears his throat. “Deh Nauri it’s necessary. With your permission –“

“Yong!” Joohyun scowls at him and untucks her tee. “Here I will hold the stethoscope.”  She takes the round portion and puts it under her tee.  She follows Jungshin’s instructions on where to put the device.

“Now the back.” Jungshin tells her.

“I will do it.” Yonghwa takes the round portion and puts it where Jungshin tells him to.

Afterwards Joohyun just looks at Yonghwa and tells Jungshin that she’ll be back after her tucks her tee. “Don’t leave Shin-nee.”

“Do you know why she wants you to stay?” Yonghwa asks his youngest.

“I don’t know Nauri.” Jungshin answers. He wanted to tease his Maker that he was being too possessive of Joohyun but he imagined the back of Jonghyun’s hand slapping his head. While he knew that Yonghwa couldn’t possible throw him out of the building since it was daytime the prospect that his Maker may throw him to the 4th basement of the building was entirely possible.

“Shin-nee.” Joohyun smiles as she comes out of the bedroom. “Can you sit and watch TV with me? Hello Counselor will be on air in just a few minutes.”

“Jungshin is working Joohyunah.” Yonghwa looks at them. He was peeved that she didn’t ask him to watch TV with her.

“Oh you’re working – never mind then. Thank you for giving me a checkup” Joohyun smiles charmingly at Jungshin.

She walks Jungshin to the door all the time aware that Yonghwa was watching them.

“How come you don’t ask me to watch your programs with you?” He narrows his eyes.

“But you don’t like them.” She tells him honestly. “Besides you’ll tell me that you’re working.”

He stands up and goes to sit on the sofa beside her. Joohyun looks at him as he slouches on the sofa and puts a pillow on his stomach. “What are you waiting for? Open the TV.”

She opens the TV and was soon engrossed in watching Hello Counselor. So far Yonghwa hadn’t made any comments yet. Despite of the spirited discussion by the hosts and guests Joohyun could feel her eyelids grow heavy.  She feels herself being pulled downwards until her head rested on the pillow in his stomach.

“I’m not sleepy.” She tells him.

“Alright –just watch TV lying down.” He leans and kisses her temple.

A few minutes later Yonghwa peeks and sees that Joohyun was asleep. He gently moves her so that she was lying down on the sofa and kisses her forehead while he tucked a blanket around her. He was smiling as he closes the TV. His laptop’s calendar was flashing – another teleconference.

An hour later, the ancient doors open silently to admit Ueno Juri. Dressed in a flowing black caftan with gold embroidery, her hair in a French chignon his Maker looked beautiful and formidable. Her silent footsteps stop in front of Joohyun. She raises her hands and passes them over Joohyun’s sleeping form.

“How is she?” Yonghwa asks.

“She is better. Did she play the piano?” Ueno Juri sits on one of the armchairs.

“Yes, the white light came out.”

“Did it hurt you?” His Maker’s worried tone made Yonghwa smile briefly.

“No they just settled on me for a while before going into the curtains and the doors. My theory was correct – the size of the white light’s manifestation depends on Joohyun’s state.  When she is agitated, angry or sad they are like white shafts of thunder and inflict pain, today - since she was in a happy mood they were like little stars. The white light protects her and inflicts pain on anyone and anything near her. She cannot control it– the one time she tried she lost consciousness.”

“Such a unique human.” His Maker murmurs. In her long life, except for herself, Ueno Juri had seldom seen magic in its natural form – for others it had to be called upon and harnessed – but the young woman sleeping across from her had magic in her cells. And it was because of the natural magic that the Void wanted Joohyun.

“Aren’t you like her?”

Ueno Juri shakes her head. “I was taught to grow and perfect the magic that I was born with. She was born with more magic than I.  Blessed or cursed – whichever way one’s sees it. She has magic in her that is raw and powerful. That in itself is what makes her so alluring – the combination of Void’s darkness and her natural power is lethal. To every natural and supernatural being.” Ueno Juri sits backs and looks at her Child. “Did Shin-nee do a physical?”

“Yes, she’s fine. She’s drinking vitamins and last night she slept without any disturbance. Now if you’ll excuse me Okasama I have to go back to my teleconference.”

Ueno Yuri waves her hand at him and she stands to get herself a cup of warmed plasma and water. She read all the latest financials on her Child’s business and she was satisfied. She was a bit irritated that it seemed like every year the Council demanded more money from Yonghwa.  He was by the far the largest contributor in their world.

“How much do they want now?” She asks Yonghwa as she sips from the metal cup.

“15% increase.” He sighs and closes his laptop. He couldn’t continue working because of his Maker’s interruptions. “Don’t worry I can cover it.”

“I’m sure you can.” Ueno Juri replies.

A pack of high living money hungry old bats!

“Careful Okasama.” Yonghwa stands up and sits on the sofa and puts Joohyun’s head on his lap. “Your thoughts are showing.”

The beautiful 22 year old face scowls. “I always am.”

“Uhm – I fell asleep.” Joohyun opens her eyes and looks up at Yonghwa. Since was facing him, she pulls herself up, putting her hands around his waist and murmurs against his chest. “Thank you for being my pillow.”

Ueno Juri smiles as Yonghwa pulls Joohyun away from him.”Okasama is here.”

Joohyun immediately sits upright and her face flushes with embarrassment. “Mianeyo Ommonim I was still asleep.”

Ueno Juri closes her eyes as the warmth of the blood and the magic pouring out of Joohyun’s body reaches her nostrils. She could very well understand the Void’s desire and she once again marveled at her Child’s restraint.

“That’s alright child. I was just here to check on you.” She smiles at the flustered young woman.

Joohyun sits up next to Yonghwa. Looking at the beautiful woman in front of her Joohyun felt that she must look awful with her face puffed up from sleep and her disheveled hair. “I must look frightful – excuse me.” She bolts out of the sofa and runs to the bedroom.

“You…” Yonghwa hears the bedroom door slam. “Don’t.” She looked adorable – warm flushed cheeks and the slumberous eyes were so attractive – if his Maker wasn’t there he would have….he shakes his head.

Ueno Juri hides her smile. Yonghwa’s children told her funny tales of how their Maker tried his best not to show them his extreme fondness for Joohyun. They told her how lovely she was not just on the outside but on the inside – as a person. She never let them feel any different from her – treating them like human beings not as monsters. Jonghyun was grateful to Joohyun for providing Yoona with what his mate missed the most – friendship.

Yonghwa and Ueno Juri both had smiles on their faces when Joohyun comes out. She had combed her hair and put a bit of powder and lip gloss on her face.

“Ommonim.” Joohyun bows before sitting on the arm chair opposite Ueno Juri.

“How are you feeling child?”

“I feel better Ommonim. There was no dream last night.”

“Good. That’s good.”

When Yonghwa told his Maker about Joohyun’s fear of falling asleep, Ueno Juri had summoned her most powerful spell in order to rid Joohyun of the recurring nightmares. It was indeed the Void’s way to make her body weak and her mind more pliant to the Void’s wishes.

“Ommonim – can I get you tea?” Joohyun stands up.

“That would be good child.”  Ueno Juri had a smile on face as Joohyun takes the metal cup and bottle of water. She knew that Joohyun would wash the cup without any trace of squeamishness that it contained warmed human blood just an hour before.

In the kitchen, Joohun carefully boils water and makes tea exactly the way Ueno Juri taught her to. As soon as the water boiled she puts in the correct amount of dragon teardrops and waits for the tea to steep.  She brings out the beautiful vintage dragon ware tea set from the cabinet and prepares the tea tray. Then she transfers the tea into the raised dragon teapot. She puts the tea tray on the coffee table and gracefully kneels on the floor. Her eyes were respectfully downcast as she pours tea for Jueno Uri and Yonghwa.  

Jueno Uri was all smiles as she takes the cup from Joohyun.  The child was bright and only had to observe her once in making Japanese tea. The tea was strong just the way she preferred it.

Yonghwa drinks his tea and looks at the interaction between his Maker and Joohyun. Ever since they met Joohyun always made it a point to please his Maker. He watches as pleasure lights up his Maker’s eyes as she nods and tells Joohyun that the tea was very good. He himself found pleasure in seeing Joohyun’s cheeks blush to a pretty shade of pink and her downcast eyes as she bows to accept his Maker’s praise.

“Joohyun and I are going out tonight.” He tells his Maker.

“That’s good – she’s been in here too long.” Ueno Juri replies. “Be sure to take the proper precautions.”

 “I will.” Yonghwa replies and stands up. “I have to get back to work.” His hand touches Joohyun’s head. She had grown even more precious to him after she got sick. He could not bear for her to be not within his reach and sight. He found comfort in touching her even briefly – he almost lost her and he would not let that happen again.

“Ommonim – do you want to watch some day time drama with me?” Joohyun asks.

Ueno Juri looks at the hopeful face. It was innocent and without guile. The young one was sincere. Her reputation as a cold blooded ruthless killer would be in tatters if anyone in their world saw how she melted at the onslaught of those clear honest eyes. “Of course child.”

Joohyun opens the TV soon they were both discussing the episode.

Yonghwa listens as Joohyun explains to his Maker the plot and couldn’t help himself when he had to step and correct her. “The leading man already found out about his hidden child.”

“How do you know? You didn’t watch.” Joohyun exclaims.

“That doesn’t mean I didn’t listen.” He replies not taking his eyes off his laptop.

Joohyun scowls at him before turning to Ueno Juri. “Anyway, Ommonim…..”

They watch 3 day time dramas before Yonghwa interrupts them and reminds Joohyun that is was way past lunch time.

wcourse Joohyun felt hungry but she was as always conscious about offending them with the smell of food.

“You have to eat child. Now, I will go downstairs and check on the other children. Eat and have a nap – you’re going somewhere tonight.” Ueno Juri smiles as Joohyun escorts her to the door.

“Deh Ommonim.” Joohyun puts her palm on the door. “Open please.”

Ueno Juri watches again in wonder as this mortal child touches the ancient magical doors with her bare hand. Unseen by Joohyun the doors always lit up when she touches it. The magic glowed and pulsed before opening.  She and Yonghwa could only command the doors to open for them – touching would be like burning themselves. Only humans could touch the doors and Joohyun was the only human she knew who could make the doors open willingly.

“Good day Ommonim.” Joohyun bows to Ueno Juri. “Kamsahamnida for visiting us.”

 She waited until the doors closed and her keen ears picks up Joohyun’s voice thanking the ancient doors. Ueno Juri had a smile on her face as she waited for the elevator doors to open.

“Madame.” The 8 armed guards on Yonghwa’s private floor bow as she steps into the elevator. She would have another story to tell her samurai.

“Have some meat Joohyunah.” Yonghwa calls out to her as she goes to the kitchen.  

“Deh.” She replies as she takes out the spicy beef stew.  She was almost out of all the tofu stew and abalone porridge – all the food she regarded as the least offensive to Yonghwa’s sense of smell. She makes herself a small pot of rice and sets up her plate, bowl and chopsticks.

While waiting for the rice she washes and dries the tea set. Her hands were careful as she placed them just the way they were in the cabinet. All of Yong’s things were ancient like him. The thought made her smile and giggle softly.

“What?”

“Nothing.” She replies.

He closes his laptop and sits down to watch her eat.  “What were you giggling about?”

“All of your things here are as ancient as you.” She replies. “The thought made me laugh.”

“Eat. Stop thinking of silly things.”

She pouts and rolls her eyes. He watches her eat and at one time, sighing and pats the sides of with a heavy embossed paper napkin. She was used to it by now – she found it sweet that he took care of her even while she was eating.

“Now go to sleep.” He tells her. “I will wash the dishes.”

“No, I don’t want you touching food. The smell would be offensive to you.” Joohyun takes the blue and white bowl and chopsticks.

He stands next to her and watches her wash and clean the bowl and chopsticks. He had a small smile on his face as she takes the left over tea and mixes Fellico water left over from his water bottle and drinks it.

“Shouldn’t waste good tea and expensive water.” She smiles at him as she rinses the Baccarat glass. “Now I will brush my teeth and go to try to have a nap – try.” She puts emphasis the word try.

When he comes into the bedroom after 20 minutes she was in bed reading one of the magazines that Yoona bought for her. 

“You said you’ll sleep.”

“I said I’ll try. Yong I think I slept so much in the last few weeks.” She tells him.

“If you don’t sleep – we don’t go out.”

“How is that fair?”

“I never said I was fair.” He smiles and sits on the bed.

“Mean old vampire.”  Joohyun slides down the bed and turns her back on him. “Go back to work.”

While he could very well put her to sleep with a few words he preferred that she sleep naturally.

He waits for 20 minutes and he was assured by her even breathing that she was asleep.

Yonghwa wakes Joohyun up as soon as the sun set. They were near Joohyun’s old apartment by 6 PM.

When they go to the small hairdresser’s shop the owner greeted Joohyun like a long lost daughter. She inquired about Joohyun’s health and lamented that she missed seeing Joohyun’s pretty face every day.

“Mrs. Kim like I told you over the phone I want the ends of my hair trimmed.” Joohyun tells the hair dresser.

“How many inches? Three?”

“No Madame 1 inch only.” Yonghwa speaks softly.

The lady looks at him then looks at Joohyun.

“Uhm my…”

“Her betrothed.” Yonghwa stands up and bows. Then he smiles and the hairdresser blinks her eyes and afterwards was all smiles and graciousness.

Joohyun hides her smile.

Who says betrothed these days? Only someone who’s 550 years old.

 “Oh you’re her Oppa. Well…you’re very lucky our Hyunah isn’t only very pretty but she’s also a good girl.”

Yonghwa just smiles and nods.

“How about layering it Hyunah? It would look very pretty on you.” The hair dresser smiles at Joohyun.

“Just 1 inch Madame, please.”  Yonghwa stands and holds up strands of Joohyun’s hair. “I only want 1 inch off her hair and no more.” The last 2 words were emphasized and followed by a beautiful smile.

“Of course, of course…1 inch it is.” The hair dresser blinks, nods and starts snipping Joohyun’s hair. She finishes quickly and refuses to take any payment from Joohyun.

“It’s nothing Hyunah – there’s so little hair on the floor. How about you? Would you like a trim?” The lady asks Yonghwa.

“Uhm thank you Madame but no.” Yonghwa shakes his head. The last time he cut his hair was in 1981 a cut by his Maker’s stylist – Vidal Sassoon in Los Angeles.

They bid the lady goodbye and when they were outside Yonghwa takes Joohyun’s hand.

“My hand too cold for you?” He asks.

“No it’s alright.” She murmurs.

They were using Yonghwa’s 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider. They spent a long time looking at all his cars and decided that the Spider was the smallest and most inconspicuous as it was black.  But when they park near Myeongdong the car still attracted attention.

“Do you think the car’s safe?” Joohyun asks Yonghwa nervously.

“It will alarm and besides it’s insured.” Yonghwa holds her hand again. There were a lot of people but as usual all the females ogled Yonghwa. He paid them no mind and casually puts his arm around her.

Joohyun had a fun time putting all sorts of accessories in Yonghwa’s hair telling him that he looked pretty. He played along and posed making the Ahjumma laugh. Joohyun bought hair clips and hair ties, the Ahjumma gives her 2 headbands as gifts.

“Yong I’m thirsty.” Joohyun tells him. He nods and tells her to just wait in front of the hat store and he would be back.

“That is one handsome man.” The store proprietor tells Joohyun. “Your Oppa.”

Joohyun smiles and nods. “Deh, he’s my Oppa.” It felt good to say that.

When Yonghwa comes back with a bottle of water the Ahjumma calls him over.

“I told her that her Oppa is very handsome.” The old lady giggles like a girl. Yonghwa just smiles and nods.

When they walk away Yonghwa looks at Joohyun. “Oppa?”

“Well I couldn’t tell her that you were my betrothed. That’s so old fashioned.” Joohyun laughs. “What do you want me to call you?”

“Nampyeon.” He tells her.

“Not Nauri?” She looks laughingly up at him.

“You call me Nauri when you’re angry with me or irritated.” He replies honestly.

“True.” She nods in agreement. “Can I just call you Yong Oppa instead? Like Jongie Oppa?”

“But I’m not like Jonghyun – I will be your Maker and your mate.  The samurai calls Okasama – Tsuma and she calls him Shujin. I will call you Anae and I will be your Nampyeon.” Yonghwa replies as he opens the bottled water and hands it to her.

“How about Yeobo? Like in the dramas?” She asks.

“Joohyunah.” He looks at her. “I’m being serious.”

“Oh.” She stops and looks at him. “Sorry. Nampyeon it is. But can I still call you Yong?”

“As long as you know you belong to me.” He leans and kisses her forehead.

“Ah don’t do that – there are a lot of people.” Joohyun ducks her head but still holds his hand.

He still had a smile on his face when they go back to the car.

“Excuse me – is this your car?” A very well dressed man comes up to them.

“Yes.” Yonghwa nods.

“I’m a car collector – are you willing to sell it?” The man asks. “I can give you top dollar for it.”

“No thanks.” Yonghwa shakes his head. He opens the door for Joohyun and was quite surprised when the man waves a card to his face.

“Can you at least consider it?” The man was persistent. “Where did you buy it?”

It was at the tip of Yonghwa’s tongue to tell the man that he bought it in Italy in 1966. “Uhm it was my father’s so sorry no I won’t sell.”

 “Ah I get that every time I take this car out.” He tells Joohyun. They look back and see that the man was closing his coat. There was a sudden chill in the air. “Let’s go home the Void is following too closely.”

Joohyun was happy as she lay down in bed that night. “Thank you for taking me out.”

“My pleasure – we’ll have years to go out together. Every night if you want to.” Yonghwa smiles and leans in to kiss her. “Goodnight sweetheart.”

“Goodnight Yong – saranghae.” Joohyun tells him.

Yonghwa smiles and kisses her hand. “Saranghae Anae.”

Three days before…..

Juri and Yoona come up to talk to Joohy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter