Monster - Part 18 (The Letter J) - Part 1

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Please help him – the Light, the monster –“Joohyun’s body shook as she held Yonghwa tightly. Her chest felt like it would burst any minute.

They were both covered with so much blood. She couldn’t even remember how it happened.

“Minhyuk tell the pilot to take the jet into the hangar – right now. Deal with customs – bribe them, pay them – do everything possible to get Nauri out of here!” Jonghyun exclaims.

“Let me thru…” Jungshin comes rushing in with a huge medical bag. “Back away – let me…”

“Shine-neya I might…” Joohyun tries to move away but her arms still held Yonghwa.

“Hyunnie … you won’t hurt me. Now please let go of Nauri. I must stitch his wounds as fast as I can.  Sobo – feed him now!”

“Young One – come- let Sensei help you up.” The Samurai comes near the distraught young vampire.

“Sensei – I didn’t mean…” Joohyun’s arms let go of Yonghwa – the Samurai’s wiles were very strong.

The floor was slippery with blood as they made their way to the titanium casket.

“I – I should go in – shouldn’t I – Sensei?” The red rimmed eyes reflected so much pain. “I might hurt everyone else.” Her voice drops to a whisper.

“We’ll take care of Nauri, Young One. Don’t worry.” The Samurai lifts her up easily and puts her inside the casket. “Tsuma!”

The Lady’s lips move softly calling on the Sleep Spell all the while her wrist was pressed tightly against Yonghwa’s mouth. Her hand moves slowly on his neck – helping him swallow her blood.

Shun Oguri held his blade one hand while his other hand held Joohyun’s. He willed her to succumb to sleep because if she suddenly changes he had no recourse but to kill her.

Jonghyun and Yoona seal the casket.

“Sobo – let me.” Jonghyun kneels next to Ueno Juri and gently removes her wrist. He tears his own wrist and presses it on his Maker’s mouth.

“Drink Nauri – chaebal. If you die we will have to kill Joohyun and you won’t want that.” He murmurs. “Wake up Nauri.”

“I’m done closing his wounds but we must be very careful or the wounds might open again. I’ve called the ground crew in the hangar and they will have a gurney waiting for us.”

Carefully Jungshin lifts Yonghwa. Balancing his Maker carefully so that his wounds wouldn’t open.

“Careful Shin-neeyah.” Jonghyun cautions his youngest Brother.

“For all the times Nauri has carried me during battles – this is a small gesture.” Jungshin replies. “Yoona bring the medical bag.”

Jonghyun and Shun Oguri push the titanium casket towards the plane’s exit and they all step out to the darkened hangar.

“Quickly – we must head home.” Jonghyun instructs Minhyuk.  “Hyuk-ah take the casket directly to the 3rd basement and leave it there. Lock the door firmly behind you and no matter what you hear no one can open it.  Is that understood? Station vampire guards and inform the human security team that the 3rd basement is of limits to everyone.”

Minhyuk nods silently as they watch the  casket being loaded into the F450 truck.

The vampire guards tried their best not to stare at the unconscious vampire that Jungshin carried in his arms.

“Nauri will be fine – not to worry.” Jonghyun assures them.

They walk to the waiting helicopters. The dying sun was painful on their skin but they could not wait for the night – their Master was more important than their skin.

“Thank you Lee Joon.” Ueno Juri closes her mobile. “There will be no traffic on the way home Hyuk-ah. Lee Joon’s people have arranged the traffic patterns.”

“All cleared for takeoff Director Lee.” The helicopter pilot bows to Jonghyun.

Jungshin holds Yonghwa carefully as he sits on the helicopter.  Yoona covers Yonghwa’s ears before taking the opposite seat. She nods at her Mate, Ueno Juri and Sensei before the helicopter doors close.

The 2nd helicopter quickly follows.

Jungshin felt the wetness on his lap. “His wounds have opened again.”

Yoona takes off her jacket and puts it under Jungshin’s lap.

As soon as the helicopter lands Jungshin was out and striding towards the opened doors.  He barely said a word to the guards who assist them to the makeshift operating table in their living quarters.

“Is there anything else we can do Doctor Lee?” The vampire Head Guard asks Jungshin.

“Nothing for now. Just make sure the casket is placed in the secure place as instructed by our Eldest. Oh, and make sure our  family gets plasma and water especially the Lady. We are all tired from the trip.”

“Of course Doctor. I will personally prepare the plasma and drinks. One of the guards will deliver nourishment to you and Yoona Agassi  as soon as possible.”

Without saying anything – Jungshin and Yoona strip Yonghwa of his tattered clothes.

“How vicious she is!” Jungshin mutters for the 10th time. They were stitching up Yonghwa for the 2nd time.

“Yah – you’re talking about Hyunnie!” Yoona scowls. “It’s not like she wanted this Doctor Lee! This wouldn’t have happened if they let her be presented after a year not 3 months after turning. The bastards!”

“I know it’s not Hyunnie.” Jungshin sighs. “But wounds made by magic are the hardest to close. It’s like the titanium threads melt away when we move Nauri.”

“Time to feed him again.” Yoona looks at Jungshin.

Their Maknae slices his wrist and holds it firmly against his Maker’s mouth. Like Ueno Juri his hand gently massages Yonghwa’s neck.

“Enough Shin-neeyah.” Yoona taps at his wrist. “There’s only so much that a dormant vampire can absorb.”

“I taught you that.” Jungshin looks at her before his wrist. “Many battles ago.”

They take turns in feeding him and time and again but  his wounds start to open again even if they didn’t move him.

After many hours Ueno Juri looks at Yonghwa’s tired children.

“It’s time to wake up Hyunnie. She’s the only one that can save him. The wounds – some of them were inflicted by the Light so only the Light can truly seal them – no matter how much blood we give him he will die.”

“And so will Hyunnie.” Yoona whispers.

“Yes and so will the Young One  because she cannot live without him.” Sensei stands up and holds out his hand to his Mate. “Shall we go Tsuma?”

“No one is to follow.” The Lady looks at Yonghwa’s children. “Keep watch over your Maker.”

“But Sobo…”Jonghyun takes a step forward but that was all he could take.

“You must stay here Jongie – as the Eldest you need to stay.” She tells them quietly then they leave the room.

“She might kill us when she wakes up – have you considered that Tsuma?” Shun Oguri looks at the serene profile of his Mate.

“Always Shujin.” She answers softly. “My Child’s Mate was born with a supernatural power that is raw and untamed. It is always a possibility.” She gives him a sweet smile.

“But you are not worried?” He asks.

“I am not because you are with me.” She holds the cuff of his kimono sleeve.

The 3rd basement had 10 vampire guards. They all bow as the Lady and Sensei approach the closed metal door.

“When we enter the room all of you are instructed to step away. No one is to go inside no matter what happens. Is that clear?” Sensei looks at the vampire guards. “We wouldn’t want to give a disappointing report to Nauri when he wakes up.”

The guards were still bowing when the 3rd basement’s door closes.

The pair approach the titanium casket.

“She’s still asleep.” Ueno Juri tells her Mate. “But I feel her overwhelming sadness.”

“Who? Hyunnie or the monster?”

“Shujin! You’ve become like Hyunnie! They are one being.” Ueno Juri exclaims impatiently.

“Tell that to the monster.” He mutters softly. “Our Hyunnie would not have done this.”

“You’re not helping! Now – let’s open it.”

Ueno Juri whispers the  necessary words to unlock the casket -  the locks unhinge and the Samurai carefully lifts the lid. They find Joohyun still asleep. The Lady moves her lips and they see her eyelids flicker.

Shun Oguri’s sword was unsheathed when Joohyun opens her eyes. She stands up slowly and her eyes focus on the 2 vampires that were slowly backing away.

Joohyun bites her lower lip. She was a menace to everyone she knew. She heard roaring in her ears. Her nails lengthen as her hands ball into tight fists – it barely registered in her consciousness  that her hands were bleeding.

“Joohyunah – you’re awake Young One.” Ueno Juri calls out. “I want you to concentrate on calming yourself.”

“Calm.” Joohyun’s repeats the word softly. “Calm.” She shakes her head as if to clear her mind. She sighs and closes her eyes.

She goes inside herself – in the dark place where the Light shone like a beacon, the monster was bound up in chains. They face each other and for once the monster was not snarling at her. She realizes that the monster  knew that Yonghwa was gravely wounded.

“We mustn’t let him die because if Nauri dies – if my husband dies -  I will make sure that you and I will die with him.” Joohyun looks the monster.

“Joohyunah! Joohyunah! Child!” Ueno Juri’s voice brings Joohyun back from the dark place. “Come back – you must save my Child! Your Mate is badly wounded.”

Joohyun looks at them and nods. She recognizes them and makes a clumsy effort to climb out of the casket.

Swiftly, she was lifted up by Sensei.

“As much as it terrifies you to close your eyes Joohyunah – I must ask you to do that.” The Lady holds her hand and stands next to Sensei.

Joohyun knew what was coming but it didn’t lessen the dread she felt. Once again she felt the cold dark void surround her. The journey into nothingness that seemed endless. She gasps and tucks her head against the Samurai’s chest. Her hand grips Ueno Juri’s tighter.

They materialize in the living quarters a few feet away from the operating table where Yonghwa lay. Blood was pooling on the floor.

Jungshin and Minhyuk were kneeling on the floor. Their hands held bloody towels and many more towels were piled up on the floor. Yoona’s hands were shaking as she carefully inserted the titanium thread  into the titanium needle that Jonghyun held.

“I couldn’t stitch him up faster Sobo.” Jungshin’s voice was full of anguish.

“Shin-neeyah.” Minhyuk pulls him up. “We’ll save him. Hyunnie is here.”

“Open your eyes Young One.” Shun Oguri’s soft voice floods Joohyun’s mind. He sets her down in front of the operating table.

Joohyun’s eyes open and she gasps when she sees Yonghwa’s ashen face then she looks at the blood that was  dripping down to the floor.

“No…” She chokes out the word. “No…no… this can’t be.” Her hands rip off the sheet that covered his body. The sight of blood oozing out of his many wounds shocked her.

“Hyunnie…Child…call on the Light.” Ueno Juri’s hands hold the young woman’s shoulders. “You are his Mate – it is your duty of save him.”

The monster howled and strained against the Light’s chains. Ever protective, ever vindictive. The Light shines even brighter and closes in on the monster.

Joohyun’s eyes flash with anger and she hits her chest. “Stupid beast! You did this! We did this!”

“Calm Joohyunah – calm – you can’t save him this way. Call the Light!”

“But who will hold the monster down?” Her lips trembled.

“You will Child. You will. Now concentrate.” Ueno Juri tells her.

Joohyun closes her eyes. She felt her hands become warm then steadily hotter.  She presses against Yonghwa’s chest then she opens her eyes. Her incisors descend and her fingers become talons.

Yonghwa’s children reacted when they see her change. But Ueno Juri shakes her head and puts out her hand to stop them.

She will not hurt him.

The Lady’s calm voice floods their minds.

Slowly Joohyun’s  palms cover his wounds – moving with utmost care over each one. By now the ends of her hair were raised and shafts of light flew across the room and undulated on the ceiling. Not a single vampire dared to move.

“Yong!” Her lips whisper his name over and over. She heard the monster scream inside her head. It was hungry and wanted blood.

“Nampyeon. Open your eyes. “Her face leans close to his. “Nampyeon. It’s me Joohyunah. Wake up, Yong.”

She slices her wrist and puts it against his lips – holding his mouth open and letting the glowing blood drip. “Receive the Light – Nampyeon.”

The vampires watch as Yonghwa’s body slowly starts to glow. More  shards of light come out from Joohyun’s hair and  swirl across the room hovering  over the couple.

“Wake up – Jung Yonghwa. Jaebal.” Joohyun was trembling from hunger and thirst. It took all of her willpower to hold off the monster. “Wake up – NOW!”

Her palms hit his chest with one forceful blow then Joohyun’s knees buckle. She slumps to the floor grabbing at Yonghwa’s hand. She was beyond tired, beyond thirst and beyond hunger. She held on – her hot hands covering his cold one - his name on her lips.

“Please wake up – Yong!” She whispers over and over. “Jaebal – don’t leave me. You promised. Nampyeon!”

Yonghwa heard her from the thick fog he was in. Then there were bursts of light  and he felt he could move again. His eyes flicker open and he blinks at the ceiling light. His hands clench and he felt warmth.

“Yong!” Joohyun pulls herself off the floor the moment she felt his fingers move.

“Joohyunah.” He whispers. “Are you alright?”

She nods and felt the pain on her chest. “I am fine. You’re the one with all the wounds.”

He turns his head and looks at the faces of his Maker, his children and Sensei. “You must leave….”

He was acutely aware of Joohyun’s hunger and  was afraid that his Mate  wouldn’t be able to stop herself from changing.

The Light intensifies and surrounds the couple. Inside the monster screams in pain and hunger, tearing at the Light. It was only after  the door closes that the Light disperses and once again circles the room.

“You must be hungry.” His hand gently holds her cheek.

“You’re the one who needs to be fed not me.” She tells him. She offers her wrist and wasn’t really surprised when he doesn’t open his mouth.

“Then I won’t feed on you – Nauri.” She tells him as her insides constricted very painfully. She wills herself to stand still and hold herself without visibly trembling.

“Help me up.”

“Only if you feed.” Joohyun tells him. It was a testament of his weakened state that she didn’t feel the usual pain in her stomach when she disobeyed him.

“Ara – ara – I will feed. Stubborn that’s what you are.” He lets out a groan when she helps him sit up.

“No - that’s what you are.” She holds him in securely in her arms. Her body starting to shake as well but she ignores this as she slashes her wrist with her incisors.

He fed briefly and shook his head when she urged him to feed some more.

“Now feed on me.” He tells her.

Joohyun’s mouth latches on his wrist. Carefully even as the monster inside her went wild with anticipation.  She felt the tension in her body and mind ease as she swallows his blood. She felt the monster quiet down. As gently as she could she removes her incisors from his wrist.

“You didn’t take very much.” He tells her as he watches her close the wound on his wrist.

“Later. As you always say to me – we have all the time in the world.” She looks at him and gives him a brief smile.

“That’s a sad smile.” He tucks her hair behind her ear.  

“I hurt you a lot – I – I don’t know what to say.” She moves away from him. “I almost killed you. What kind of Mate does that?”

“Joohyunah – come.” He holds his hand out and looks at her. “Closer.”

Joohyun couldn’t deny the compulsion to follow his command.

Husband and Master.

The love of her life.

“You were the kind of Mate that was under the Morbid Spell. It backfired on us. It was the reason I out – not because of you. The casket started having dents – it meant you were struggling to wake up – I opened it and you held onto me – you didn’t want to go to sleep – you bit my wrist but vomited again and again. Then as a last recourse I let you bite my neck and I felt myself blacking out.”

“I don’t remember anything.” She shudders. “I only remember holding you in my arms – you were so pale and blood was everywhere.”

He holds her closer to him – huddled on top of the operating table. She told him what happened up to the time Sensei put her back in the casket and the Lady put a Sleep Spell on her.

“Are you alright?” He cuddles her and kisses her brow. “You must have been so scared.”

“I was. Everyone was. I thought – everyone thought we were going to lose you. They tried to revive you – you see that pool of blood on the floor – that was the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes.  Shin-nee wiping the floor and saying that he couldn’t close you fast enough.” Her arms go around him and she felt herself shaking.

“Sshh… enough. It is over. I am here. There is nothing to be afraid of.” He holds her tight as he looks at the undulating shards of light that floated on the ceiling.

“Let me look at your wounds.” She pulls out of their embrace and makes him lie down. She looks at his body – gently passing her fingers over the freshly covered wounds.  Just then the floating shards of light become sparkling dust and settle on his body.

Yonghwa felt the warmth surround him then it gradually became cold as  the Light vanishes back into Joohyun’s fingertips.

“That basement room – is that where where I am going to stay?” She asks timidly. She remembered the stark cold room with only the casket.

“That is where we will stay.” He runs his hand over the long shining hair. “You think I’ll let you stay there by yourself. What kind of husband do you think I am?”

“The kind that has a monster for a wife.” She looks at his eyes honestly.

“I’m also a monster – didn’t I tell you that long ago? You weren’t scared of me then so why should I be scared of you now?” He leans to kiss the down turned lips. She looked adorable despite of all the blood that covered her coat.

“Because – she’s dangerous and vicious.” Joohyun wanted to add some harsher words but suddenly remembers those black eyes that flickered with something akin to fear. “But the monster – it knew – it knew that you were gravely wounded – it’s eyes – those dark pools – I saw – I saw fear in them.”

Yonghwa embraces her – now was not the time to remind his Mate that the monster was also her.

“Both of us – we were afraid of losing you.” She holds him tightly.

“Ah – ah – your husband is still recovering.” Yonghwa mutters as he felt his spine being crushed. As usual his Mate  could not control her own strength.

“Mian – mian.” She lets go of him abruptly. “When will this strength go away?”

“When you’ve mastered your inner monster. Then everything will fall into place.”

“Don’t try to sound like Yoda.” Joohyun scowls at him. “I’m no Jedi.”

Yonghwa starts to laugh as he gathers her in his arms. “You’re such a funny one – Anae.”

Joohyun holds him lightly and closes her eyes.

There was a soft knock on the door. Yonghwa motions Joohyun to go to the end of the room.

“Why are you walking ?” She calls out to him.

“It’s only Jonghyun with our clothes.” He looks at her. “Besides you love looking at my body don’t you?”

Joohyun scowls and bites back a retort.  She was very sure Jongie Oppa heard what Yonghwa said.

He opens the door and steps aside so that Jonghyun could come in.

“Ommonim do you feel anything about her?” Joohyun looks at Ueno Juri. They were in Yonghwa’s office for afternoon tea.

“Whatever do you mean Young One?” The Japanese vampire looks at her Child’s Mate.

“ I get this feeling every time I look at her and I don’t understand why.” Joohyun frowns.

Ueno Juri could not answer. Her Child’s Mate was still sensitive. She was all of 3 years old and no longer relied on her Mate for her sole feeding. Yet Joohyun was still considered New Born until she turns 5.

The older vampire acknowledges just how magnificent the younger one looked. Even in a simple velvet shift dress of moss green Seo Joohyun was captivating. The long wavy hair had a life of its own – it curled and bounced when the young vampire walked or even turned her head. She radiated the animal like uality that would accompany her until she turns 10. Not that Joohyun worked on it – in fact it was the opposite.  Like Yoona, Joohyun didn’t want too much attention.  So far Jung Nauri’s Mate had only gone out twice and that was to visit The Scholar and Yoobi. Both times Joohyun and Yonghwa left early because there were other vampires invited as well. Despite of her Mate’s assurances, Joohyun could still not take the curious eyes or the questions. She could barely answer and spent the entire time clutching at her Mate’s hand. Shy when she was human, their Joohyun was even more shy so now that she was vampire especially since Yoobi told her that every vampire family knew how badly she was treated by the Vampire Council. The story of how Joohyun saved every vampire in the chateau because of her Light was discussed at length in their world.

Besides, Joohyun and Yoona had very possessive mates much like her own Samurai. Ueno Juri was very much aware of Nauri and his Eldest Child’s watchful eyes. Jonghyun and Yoona were well established as a couple but Yonghwa and Joohyun were fairly new. It still surprised her how much her aloof and distant Child could turn into a very jealous lover when it was about Joohyun. Her Child thoroughly enjoyed his Mate’s dependence on him.

“Residual feelings and memories are not uncommon between Mates.” Ueno Yuri puts her hand over Joohyun’s. “Nauri is much older than you Young One.”

Joohyun nods but still she felt disturbed.

A young woman walks in with a tea tray.  She was quietly beautiful.  Her hair was tied back neatly, make up to a minimum, her blouse and skirt were basic. Her actions were graceful and calm as she laid down the porcelain Sevres cups filled with hot Tieguanyin tea.

“Kamsahamnida Secretary Yoo.” Joohyun murmurs and gives a brief smile to her Mate’s newest assistant.

The young woman smiles ever so slightly and bows. “Please let me know if you need anything else Agassi.”

“What time will Nauri finish his teleconference?” Ueno Juri asks.

“In approximately 20 minutes Samonim.” The young woman replies.

Ueno Juri hand makes a dismissive gesture and the young woman once again bows.

“How is work Hyunah?” The older woman sees Joohyun’s eyes follow the young woman leaving the room.

“Ah – it’s fine Ommonim.” Joohyun replies. “I believe I am of help to Hyukie now. The courses I am taking are paying off.”

“Do you really mean to get an accountancy diploma? You really don’t need to do that, Child.”

“Studying keeps me busy Ommonim. Besides I can request for a special Board exam according to Jongie Oppa.”

“And your music?”

“I still play Ommonim – every day for Yong.” She answers. “It makes him less stressed.”

Joohyun would like to believe that for the past 3 years she’d gained a modicum of control over the monster inside her. The Light was also easier to control now although Joohyun knew that the Light was not above overriding her authority especially when it perceived danger to her life or Yonghwa’s. By now, the Light considered Yonghwa an extension of Joohyun. It was supernatural force that she was born with and as such she would have to live with it. Correction - their family would have to live with it including Ueno Juri and Sensei.

“Hyunnie –“Ueno Juri looks at Joohyun. “What is it?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter