Monster - Never Mine (Part 2)

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I demand protection for my family.” Lee Soohyuk exclaims as he looks at the 3 vampires that were in the conference room.  They were all in neutral territory - Lee Joon’s building in Gangnam that housed the offices of Atty. Yeon Junghoon - Lead Prosecutor for Asia.

Yonghwa felt a headache coming on. “When is the Scholar coming?” He looks at Lee Joon.

“Not for a while Nauri. The Scholar has some issues with the schools that he needs to fix.”

Yonghwa nods his head.  Lee Joongi was fixing his house - several of the presidents and heads of the numerous universities and colleges in the USA were having feuds and he had to step in. And Yonghwa as Head of the  richest vampire family in Korea had to represent the Scholar and the Vampire Council.

I need another vacation!

“Nauri - let me present the case facts…” Atty. Yeon looks at Yonghwa.

“Proceed…” Yonghwa nods. It was going to be long night and he really would rather be spending it with Joohyun.

“So how was the vacation? ‘ Yoona asks Joohyun.  They were in the penthouse suite and waiting for Yonghwa to come back from his meeting with Lee Joon. Jonghyun, Minhyuk and Jungshin were still downstairs working while waiting for their Maker.

“More than I dreamed of Unnie!  Everything was so beautiful. Nauri took me to many places that weren’t in the usual tourist paths. A month is not enough! I took a lot of photos of us and I am going to make them into albums.”

“Maknae - you’ll be visiting these places more often now. “ Yoona replies as she opens yet another shopping bag that Joohyun hands her. “For me? Again? Oh, that’s so sweet of you!”

“I know that Unnie but the first time is always special.” Joohyun replies.

Yoona starts to laugh.  Their Maknae was a romantic at heart but a bit stubborn.

It had taken  Nauri close to 3 years to convince Joohyun to go abroad - to Europe. Joohyun had a very traumatic experience when she went to France before she even turned 1. Then the couple had only gone that one New Year when Joohyun was 2 to Iceland. After what happened in China, Joohyun was even more weary about meeting other vampires and was only really comfortable going to Japan. Their family understood that Joohyun was naturally very shy with newcomers and was a homebody but sometimes it didn’t work very well with their Nauri’s impatient nature.

“Why can’t you with me to Europe Seo Joohyun?” Yonghwa narrows his eyes and scowls at his Mate. “It’s only London and Paris - we will be back after a week.”

“I have things to do….” Joohyun looks at Yoona for help but her sibling looks the other way. As always when it came to Nauri - none of her siblings would  come to her defense especially when they sided with him.

Their family  constantly assured her that she would do fine on a long distance trip.  They were going in Ueno Juri’s Learjet so she wouldn’t have to be afraid of changing.

“You’re 10 years old - you can control yourself now. You’ve even gone out with Yoona to Lotte World and even to Shibuya!!”

After he says that all his other children look away they kept their mouths shut and didn’t want to comment on just how Yonghwa was restless and irritated the very first time Joohyun went out without him. While their Nauri recognized that this was something Joohyun had to learn how to do it was never the less nerve racking for Yonghwa. They saw him visibly relax only when his Mate and Yoona came back from Dongdaemun.  Joohyun of course had come and embraced Nauri asking him what he did while she was gone. Jonghyun had answered that they were working. Joohyun tried hard not to smile and asks Nauri again if he was worried - his answer was a grunt and he tells her to go and prepare plasma for him. Much to the family’s amusement, in the 10 years they had been Mated, Joohyun had only gone out without Yonghwa exactly 5 times. And all of those 5 times were either with Ueno Juri or Yoona. Plus 3 or 4 vampire guards much to the irritation of 2 female vampires.

“Are you going with me or not?” His jaw was set in a rigid line that everyone in their family knew meant that he was very displeased.

“Alright I will.” Joohyun scowls right back and heads back to her office. They turn to see a triumphant smile on their Nauri’s face. He takes out his phone and sends a message.

“Yoona - tell the secretaries I want a flight itinerary for the cities I just emailed to you and Jonghyun.  We’ll be away for a month. Jongie arrange meetings with all the banks and businesses that I need to meet with in those 8 cities. Tell them I will be available for only 1 day.  Hyukah - all the financials that need to be signed I will sign today. Jungshin - the performance ratios of the hospitals where are they?”

“Nauri when are you and Maknae leaving?” Yoona asks timidly.

“Uhm - 2 days from now.” Yonghwa replies and smiles at his children before he goes to Joohyun’s office and closes the door. The night over a video chat Joohyun told Yoon that she was very irritated with her nampyeon all the while Yoona was watching how she went about preparing Yonghwa’s clothes for the trip.

Even if the 4 of them did scramble to get everything ready for their Nauri’s trip with Joohyun at such short notice - the pictures and the messages that Joohyun sent them afterwards about how she was enjoying the trip made it all worth the while.

They were still looking at the pictures when Jonghyun calls Yoona.

“Deh, Oppa we will be right down.”

The 2 bring several more bags - Joohyun’s gifts to the secretaries, 2 bags for each of her male siblings.

“You really are very thoughtful, Maknae.” Yoona tells her as she watches Joohyun put 1 bag on each secretary’s chair. There was also a handwritten note that the gift was from her and Yonghwa. The secretaries would probably swoon over the Chanel sling bags.

“Ah Maknae - they’re really cute.”  Minhyuk smiles. She gave him enamel flower lapel pins -a  pink carnation from London, a lavender sprig from Amsterdam and a gold fleur de lis from Paris.

“Stylish - you have taste.” Jungshin brings out 2 skinny silk scarves she bought for him in Rome. Joohyun rolls her eyes.

“You shouldn’t have.” Jonghyun pats her head when he opens the bag Joohyun handed to him - silk socks that she found in Frankfurt.  He was touched that their youngest remembered that he was very fond of wearing these type of socks.

Each of her brothers got 6 linen handkerchiefs with the first letter of their names embroidered in grey silk thread from a little shop she found in Madrid.

“What are you doing?” Yonghwa comes out of the bathroom and looks at his Mate.

Joohyun was still in her bathrobe and was curled up in the armchair typing on her tablet. “Just listing down what I bought today.”

“Oh you mean these?”  He looks at the bags that were in the foyer of their  penthouse suite at the Corinthia Hotel. “I thought they were all yours.”

“Yes and no  - I’m putting them in my list. Remember I have a list of everyone we’re buying gifts for.”  She gives him a smile before returning to what she was doing.

“Didn’t you complete your list when we went to Paris?”

“Yes but there are items I want to buy here as well.”  Joohyun replies. They were on the 3rd day of their stay in London and would be heading for Amsterdam after that.

“You don't intend to buy them a present for all the 8 cities we’re going to are you Anae?”

They already finished visiting  Zurich, Frankfurt and Paris. After London and Amsterdam he would be taking her to Venice, Rome and finally to Madrid where he already had made arrangements for a portrait to be done of his Dear One.

“Hm...not everyone no…” She  replies. “I haven’t saved up that much.”

“Why?  Are you not using your card?” His brows knit as he lies down on the bed.

She shakes her head. “They’re only trinkets and small cute stuff Yong. I only use the card when I buy something for Omonim or Yoona Unnie. Oh and for the secretaries too.”

Yonghwa opens his mobile and looks at their  accounts. “Dear One - you haven’t used any of the money I transferred?”

“No I still have money from the last time…” Joohyun looks at him. “When we were in Tokyo, I only liked the little bracelets in Bulgari -   Ommonim was quite disappointed in me I know because I only bought 2 items from Faline but I have many clothes,shoes and bags - I don't need any more. It’s a waste of money.”

“That was 6 months ago!” He exclaims. “But you bought me all those office shirts and socks at Matsuka! You didn’t use your card?”

“No - I have my salary Nauri and my own card as well. Hyukah gave me raise remember? Besides, I don’t really spend any money except for books and ebooks.” Joohyun closes her tablet. “What are you getting mad for? That I don’t spend your money?”

He nods. “Okasama must have a very bad impression of me. I let my Mate spend her own money.”

“Not to worry Yong.  I explained to Omonim and Unnie - they were a bit confused because I wanted to spend the money I earned and not the money you gave me. Sensei wasn’t receptive at all.”

“What? The Samurai knows?”

“Really Yong - you’re getting angry for nothing. As I said I explained to them. Before I never had money - I scrimped and saved and lived off what I earned. You know that. You were there.”

“That’s why I give you money!” He exclaims.  He remembers the small unheated apartment, her broken bag and most of  all the thin coat she had to wear in the winter.

“Ack! You difficult old vampire!” Joohyun sits next to him on the bed and smoothes out his brow. “ Now that I earn a salary from the Finance Department - a bonafide employee of Blue Dragon - I want to buy things for you,Yong - because you were so generous to me especially when I had nothing. You understand - uhm? Nampyeon?” She kisses his brow.

“I’m from another world - a world where a man takes care of everything his wife needs.” He looks at her.

Joohyun just smiles and embraces him.  He would never understand. It gave her so much pleasure to be able to buy things for him even small things like handkerchiefs and socks because she could afford it - because she loves him.

“And I’m thankful you buy me things - even when I really don't need them.” She kisses him and opens his robe. “You want a reward for being a caring husband? Nauri?”

He nods and smiles when she removes her robe and starts kissing him.

They gather in Yonghwa’s office and Joohyun knows that the being facing them was their Nauri - Lord and Master.

Her husband was visibly upset.

By the time he finished telling them what happened during Yonghwa’s meeting at Lee Joon’s office all her siblings were just as upset as her husband.

“We all know who sells the blood Nauri - I just don't understand why the Council turns a blind eye!” Jonghyun exclaims.

“While Lee Soohyuk does not give as much money to the Vampire Council as Nauri - his contributions are significant.” Minhyuk replies.

“And that’s the reason many people have died? Young people! Students! From this street drug called Dark Angel’s Blood! Does his contributions justify those deaths? Isn’t it the same as breaking the law the states that we cannot harm humans?” Jungshin responds.  As a doctor, he knew of the recent fatalities as their hospitals had received a number of the victims.

“I never said it was right.” Minhyuk replies quietly.

“The police cannot investigate properly as many families refused to have the bodies autopsied and they also refused to bring charges.  Detectives could only chase up suspects. Lee Joon’s people gave reports to the Scholar about their findings.” Yonghwa replies and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Of course those are now also forwarded to me.”

Immediately sprinkles of light surround him and he felt his tension ease. “Thank you Dear One.” He smiles at Joohyun.

“That wily Soohyuk only sells the blood - what the dealers do with it - turning it to the street drug Dark Angel’s Blood could not be directly traced to him. But as you know  there is always a back door and that is what Lee Joon has been working on.”

“What about his clubs, Nauri?” Yoona asks. “Don’t they sell blood there too?”

“It’s very expensive  with 1 ampoule costing $500,000 KRW.  A patron is allowed to buy only 3 ampoules for the entire night for  himself and another 3 for only 1 guest. But knowing how Soohyuk works  - those parties of his. But nevertheless as per Lee Joon’s investigation reports, not one those people have died from buying the vampire blood sold in his clubs.”

“Samples have been taken from the 3 clubs and they contain  vampire blood - 0.5 ml of plasma. It is enough to make a healthy person dance  for hours or consume large amounts of alcohol before getting drunk or go for ah- for ah - 3 hours of uninterrupted ual .” Yonghwa gives an embarrassed cough when he informs them.

“Some of them have landed in the emergency rooms in hospitals surrounding Gangnam due to extreme exhaustion or alcohol poisoning but they have all recovered. But as per our contacts in the coroners offices in Seoul and Busan - the victims stomachs had - saline, animal blood, meth and very small amount of our plasma. It builds up in the human body - gradually - they died of blood poisoning.” Yonghwa adds.

“The victims they were all university students Shin-nee?” Joohyun asks.

“Yes.” He nods solemnly. “Having been in the market for 5 years - Dark Angel’s Blood first gained a lot of users from party goers however in the last 2 years more and more students started using the drug especially during midterms and finals. Vampire blood enhances one’s concentration and also a student could go for 2 days studying without sleeping or eating.”

“But somewhere along the way the formulation changed.  In order to get more users the ratio shifted to less vampire blood and more of meth and saline. So the users started to need more and more then it changed further to include animal blood. In the course of 2 weeks of steadily consuming this drug on a daily basis a human's organs will collapse - almost all at the same time so that doctors could not longer save them.”

“And Lee Soohyuk claims he had nothing to do with it?” Jonghyun’s clenched fist cracks the marble table. “ I should have killed him 400 years ago!”

“Yes I should have let you.” Yonghwa agrees. “But he was the one who asked for the meeting last night. He claims that he and his family require protection.”

“From what?”  Yoona asks. “Another vampire family that’s dirtier than his?”

“Since last month, 15 vampires in Busan, Suwon and here in Seoul have been turned to ashes. 20 humans - known drug dealers and pushers were executed and the police have been keeping quiet about how they died.” Yonghwa sits down on the sofa and pulls Joohyun to his side.

“Executed? How did they die Nauri?” Joohyun asks.  She had never seen him this shaken.

“They were beheaded.” His quiet voice echoes in the room.

“What?” Jonghyun exclaims. “With a sword?”

“For the vampires we are certain that they were beheaded or even cut in half because they’ve turned to ashes.  But based on the pictures that Lee Joon was able to get from the Busan police the cuts on the humans were clean and swift.  He is still asking his contacts for any CCTV footage of the attack on the hideouts where they discovered the bodies. The Seoul Police Commissioner has formed a special police taskforce to investigate the murders.  Clearly there are vigilantes that are killing off the drug syndicates that are dealing with Dark Angel’s Blood.”

“And these vigilantes are also killing vampires?” Minhyuk asks.

“That is what Lee Soohyuk claims.  We have confirmation from our human contacts that when the human corpses were discovered there were many ashes as well.  The police assumed that the ashes are burned drug paraphernalia and containers just before the vigilantes killed them.”

“How many vigilantes do you think are doing this Nauri? Did they tell you?” Jonghyun asks.

“It has to be more than 1 - vampires especially those under 100 years are still very strong - it would not have been easy to take them down.”

“Can a human take down a vampire?” Joohyun asks.

The idea seemed absurd to her - vampires were considered to be strongest supernatural beings on earth.  Even Nauri’s goblin bankers in Zurich and Munich bowed low to her husband. Other supernatural beings benefited from the many businesses and monies from the vampire families.  

“Maybe - if they were as special as you.” Yonghwa touches her hair.

“What do you mean Nauri? Special like Hyunnie?” Minhyuk asks.

“I’ve been thinking about it while on my way home. Though humans like Joohyun are rare it is not a far off assumption.  Except these vigilantes were trained. Another scenario would be the use of sacred artifacts. I’ve asked Okasama to look into this. There are still objects out there that are capable of destroying supernatural creatures.”

“You mean like the flaming sword that Sobo told us about? The one that killed fairies? I thought it was only a tale she told us to pass the time away. “ Jungshin replies.

“The flaming sword was real and the last fairies took it when they retreated from this world to another plane of existence. This happened very long ago possibly before there were written words.” Yonghwa replies.

“Where can I read that?” Joohyun asks.

“Nothing was ever written according to Sensei and you can ask Okasama to tell you the story.” Jonghyun tells their youngest.

“Two hours before the staff comes in - let’s freshen up and and wait for Lee Joon’s report.” Yonghwa stands up and holds it out his hand to his Mate.

When they reach the penthouse Joohyun opens the ancient doors for her husband.  She prepares their plasma and sits quietly by his side. She was 10 years old now but still struggled to perfect the stillness of the vampire. But she tried her best especially when Yonghwa had a lot on his mind. The years that she matured she finished her bachelor’s degree in Finance & Business Management, learned business from her siblings and from her Mate.  More importantly, she learned just how much responsibility and business acumen Yonghwa had in order to run Blue Dragon. She appreciated his great sense of commitment to their family, to the Vampire Council and as well all the human employees of Blue Dragon.

“Done with being still.” She announces as she leans to embrace him. Her lips kiss his brow then his lips before she stands up heads for the piano.

She smiles at him before she starts to play softly. She had been listening to many modern piano pieces and would often randomly surprise her Mate by playing the pieces for him.

“What was that?” He asks when she stands up and walks to him.

“Angel Eyes.” She leans to kiss him. “That’s what your eyes are. To me.”

“I don’t think a creature of darkness like me would have angel’s eyes.”

“That’s what you think.” She smiles and puts her arms around his neck. “Remember when I drove you  away? The look in your eyes just before you vanished. During those dark days and weeks I cried and called your name - all I could see were your eyes” She kisses his eyelids and embraces him. “I thought I would never see you again.”

“Then you got sick and let the Void almost take you.” He stands and gathers her in his arms.

“Now whose fault was that? Who ran away? Huh? Nauri? Answer!” She pulls aways and gently shakes him.

“I did! My fault! Alright!” He laughs and kisses her temple.

“You’re just  lucky that I love you so much Jung Yonghwa! Old fashioned vampire!” She kisses his neck and gently steps away.  “Time for work nampyeon. I don’t want any comments for the outfit I’ve set out today.”

“Ah, Atty. Junghoon said the suit I was wearing last night was very nice.  He said you have good taste. Lee Joon - well - he said I looked like an idol.” Yonghwa remarks.

“Well he should pay attention to Seoul Fashion week like So Min Unnie.” Joohyun quips as she leads him to their  dressing room.

He was prepared to whine but he had to smile when he sees the dark blue and  light gray striped Chanel suit. His Mate constantly surprised him with her choice of clothes for him to wear.

“Now let me help you off this coat.”  Joohyun then takes the Gucci embroidered Dragon peacoat  and hangs it.

He watches his Mate tidy up their dressing room.  He smiles when she hangs the peacoat and gently pats it before closing the door.

“So do you like it?” Her hands clasp tightly as he opens the big box.

“Is there an occasion I forgot about Dear One?” He asks. He was all to aware just how sensitive his Mate got when he forgot certain dates that Joohyun deemed as memorable.

“No occasion.” She beams at him.”I just love you.”

She didn’t even think of the cost when she saw it in the 3D World presentation of Paris Fashion Week. She told Ueno Juri that she wanted the dark blue one for Yonghwa.  When their contact said it would available in a week’s time Joohyun only looked at her mobile once before keying in her card number.

The coat, taxes and delivery charges almost zeroed out her bank account but she didn’t care. It was her first ever gift to Yonghwa from her salary.

“It’s beautiful Anae - and it fits perfectly.” Yonghwa puts the coat on and smiles at his Mate. “Want to go for a walk in park?”

“Alright.” She gives a dazzling smile.

They walked hand in hand around Cheongdam Park until 3 AM.

When he finally learned about how much the coat cost - due Jungshin’s loose lips -  Joohyun was given a stern lecture on spending by her nampyeon. She let him finish his monologue before standing up and giving him a kiss on the cheek telling him she still had work to do.

“Stubborn Dear One that’s what you are….” Yonghwa calls after her.

“I learn from the best Nauri.” She looks back at him, gives him a cheeky smile and flips her hair.

The secretaries were surprised when they heard his laughter.

“What time are you coming to work today Dear One?” Yonghwa asks.

“I have German lessons this morning. It’s such a pain.”Joohyun rolls her eyes as she walks her husband to the door. Putting her hand on the ancient wood she asks the doors to open for Yonghwa.

“I’ll come up then.” He leans to kiss her.

She gives him a smile and nods her head.

By now she could speak Japanese fluently but still needed to polish up on her Mandarin. Jongie Oppa was particularly relentless on her mastery of English as he had her translate all the meetings with their US bankers and business partners 30 minutes after the meetings ended. Right now she was learning German as per  Minhyuk’s instructions mostly because of their bankers in Germany and Switzerland. She could understand French but still had to think when engaging in conversation which usually made her very irritated with herself. To practice Yoobi Unnie and she had a video chat in French once a week.

“I’m a failure.” Joohyun moans when they exit the private Dior showing that Okasama arranged for them in Tokyo. She was going on 7 years at that time and Ueno Juri had given instructions for both Yoona and Joohyun to pick a faux fur coat each from the winter collection.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself Maknae.” Yoona replies.  “Nauri will scold you again for your impatience.”

Joohyun pouts and looks out into the night.  The French vampire - Madame Lucienne tried valiantly to hold a conversation with Joohyun however after awhile the gracious 600 year old vampire had shaken her head and talked to Joohyun in Korean instead. Before leaving the kind female vampire had gently tapped her hand and told Joohyun to practice.

“Yah - are you irritated that Madame Lucienne remarked that Deputy Jung spoke French beautifully? Don’t be - only very few knew of the relationship between her and Nauri. Remember the Scholar’s Child lives in Paris with her Maker and has contact with many of the French speaking vampires in Europe.” Yoona takes Joohyun’s hand.

Joohyun nods and gives her sibling a smile. They were going to meet their respective Mates at the Bar High Five for drinks before going to back to their suites at the Mandarin Tokyo.

“You’re too hard on yourself.” Yonghwa tells her as he gathers her in his arms. They had just finished making love and she could not resist telling her Mate about what happened.

“But you speak French beautifully, Yong. You sound very y.” She kisses him and leans back to gaze at his male beauty.

He chuckles and shakes his head.  “I learned to read and speak French from a  missionary named Brother Gaspard about 300 years ago in Japan.  I learned a lot of languages Dear One mainly because of Okasama and Sensei’s trading business. Now come here my silly Dear One and kiss me.”

The couple have their midday plasma before going back to the office.

“How was the lesson today?” He leans to look at his Mate’s face. The simple baby pink Dior shift suited his Mate perfectly - it was one of the first dresses he bought for her.

“My brain hurts.” She scowls. “Give me a kiss to make it better.” She points to the mark on her forehead and smiles when he kisses it.  Tiny sprinkles of light come out and settle on Yonghwa.

Joohyun gives her Mate a swift kiss before she hurries to a meeting  with Minhyuk. Yonghwa watches her hurry to the small office adjoining Minhyuk’s with a smile on his lips.

Two days later they gather in the conference room - Lee Joon was going to show them the CCTV tapes that his contact got from the police.

“Just one?” Yonghwa looks at the CCTV again. “Are you sure every entrance had CCTV?”

“Positive Nauri.  The intruder entered and left using only 1 entrance - the front.”

“How brave!” Yoona remarks.

“Yes very brave - there were 8 vampires there and 12 humans - 5 of which were heavily armed. Not one of them survived the attack.”

“And this was taken when?” Yonghwa asks.

“4 days ago in Mapo. A basement apartment near the university. The building has a lot of tenants mostly students from the provinces. This was just a place where they put the drug together - it’s not a lab - which by the way the police think is in Ilsan.”

Once again they look at the black clad figure - moving swiftly and entering the front of the building.

“Wait! Did he just hack the steel door?” Jungshin exclaims as Lee Joon freezes the frame.

“It’s a machete or an axe.” Yonghwa said.

“There were no bullets found in any of the crime scenes - only blood and severed heads. So the assailant uses a machete.” Lee Joon said.

“But a machete even when swung widely only hacks bodies - inflicting  severe wounds but it takes great skill and force to behead a man. The blade has to slice at the correct angle in order not to hit the neck bone or else the head would just hang….” Yonghwa stops and looks at his Mate. “Sorry Dear One. I was just…”

“It’s alright.” Joohyun nods. She’d seen enough sword fights that her Mate participated in to know that he was a very skilled swordsman.

“You mean this person can kill both vampire and human with just that machete?” Yoona asks.

“It would certainly be a sacred artifact if it could destroy a vampire. Okasama and Sensei’s contacts have been given copies of this frame and they are looking for it’s origins.” Yonghwa tells them. “We expect an answer soon.”

Ueno Juri got in touch with all of them by nightfall.  The assailant was indeed using an artifact.

“We’re still trying to ascertain the origins Musuko - it’s definitely Southeast Asian.” Ueno Juri tells them.

“It was most probably used to combat demons.” Sensei adds. “Of course it can destroy vampires as well. It’s usually used by shamans. The object is inscribed and etched with spells for casting out demons. Sacred cloths and oils used to maintain the metal’s sharp edge. A demon’s blood is highly corrosive and can burn holes into another supernatural being’s skin. In the very olden times it was said that the greatest battles fought  by the demons against the fairies was won because the demons were using swords dipped in their own blood.”

“Not the angels and demons Sensei?” Joohyun asks.

“Ah I forget you were raised by nuns.”  Sensei chuckles. “That battle was even before the world of humans began. This one was when the world was young - vampires did not even exist then.”

“Sobo - tell Hyunnie about the flaming sword.” Minhyuk tells Ueno Juri. “Nauri told us it was real.”

“Okasama said it was true so the children and I believe her.” Yonghwa replies.

“There you go filling the children’s heads with folk tales.” Sensei remarks to his Mate.

“Well I learned the story from my father - when I a human - long before I met a certain grumpy vampire.” Ueno Juri scowls at her Mate.

“Tell us the story Omonim.” Joohyun holds Yonghwa’s hand and squeezes - she was always ready for a good story. Her Mate smiles indulgently.

“It’s a real sad one Hyunnie. A demon came up to world and while on his journey he saw a beautiful fairy. She was quite young still and didn’t even know he was demon because he disguised himself as a young man. He fell in love with her and pursued her ardently however the fairy didn’t love him in return. She was born of the morning dew and destined to die early. When she disappeared from the earth the demon got angry and thought that the other fairies had hidden her. He went down to hell and forged a flaming sword that he took up to the world. He asked his brothers to come with him and they fought with the fairies for a hundred years - though fairies were just as fierce and cruel they were no match for creatures that were born out of the darkness. Backed to a corner, the fairies were played their last card - they created another dew fairy and when the demon saw her he stopped killing and asked her to go with him. She said she would but only in exchange for the flaming sword.  He gave it willingly and the fairies retreated to another plane of existence.”

“And what happened to them? The demon and the fairy?”

“They could not live as husband and wife - there was no way a fairy could come near a demon and not die from the heat of his body. He changed both of them to humans and they did live as man and wife but for only a very short time - remember she was dew fairy who was destined to die early.”

“That’s sad for the demon.” Joohyun comments.

“Ah my sweet romantic little one - a demon is not one you should waste your sadness on. They are creatures borne out of the fires of hell - that demon was beheaded by the Darkness itself and sent to live out eternity with out his head.” Sensei replies.

“Ugh! You do know how to ruin a story!” Joohyun pouts at the old samurai. “Sensei is just making that up!”

They all laugh because they know just how fond Shun Oguri was of Joohyun.

At about the same time in a 3rd rate hotel far from Cheongdamdong  Ji Won opens her eyes after 2 days.

Ji Won was tired - very tired but had to admit that what she was doing kept the headaches away.  By now the shorts, dresses and tops were discarded in garbage cans around the city. She only wore black clothes - pants, hoodies, leather face mask and occasionally shades.

She stretches uncomfortably. Her body protested and her stomach rumbled.  She couldn’t remember the last time she ate.

By now she had come to accept that the machete turned her to a different person every time she held it. The look of sheer terror on those vampires’ faces as she sliced their bodies in half was worth the heat that engulfed her body for days.  Her human victims didn’t even have time to react - their heads were cut off swiftly and their weapons hacked as well.

As long as she held the machete or kept it near her body she found that her senses became more sharper.  She was able to stalk her prey with cat like quiet and kill them without a hint of remorse. In fact she vaguely remembers that she was laughing the last time she surveyed the slaughtered humans. The redness of her face, the buzzing in her head and now the heat in her body lasted longer and longer.

She would stumble into her room and stay there for days. One time, the day manager came to tell her that her rent was due but one look at Ji Won’s red face had the man scurrying to the stairs.  From then on they left her alone and Ji Won paid her rent 3 months in advance.

“At least they get paid until I’m dead.”  She mutters as she crosses off another day in her calendar.  She had been in Korea for almost 3 months. Taking into consideration the fact that she drank less of her maintenance medicine and how she physically felt , Ji Won reckoned that she would live at least 4 more months.

“That’s just enough.” She sits to drink the last of her stash of banana milk.  Even for the FBI this assignment would have been deemed too long.

But Ji Won was getting the results she wanted - everyday the news was filled with reports of the deaths of drug dealers and pushers.  Dark Angel’s Blood was becoming a rare commodity and she heard from the streets that a lot of the users have stopped buying fearing that they would the next targets.

“Better and better.” She sighs and decides to take a shower before going out.  She would head for Ilsan as soon as the heat in her body goes down. Nowadays she didn’t even need to shower in hot water - the heat from her body became steam when she washes.

Her family called - a lot. Ji Won was getting tired of her brother’s whining. He always needed money and got it from the flower shop and their Omma always gave into his demands. She was tired of getting angry with him.

Right now her phone was ringing. At least they didn’t call when she was out killing vampires and humans so she guessed that her family knew when to time their calls.

“Omma?!” .

“Unnie it’s me….”

“Oh, Min Young - anything wrong? Omma?”

“No- nothing is wrong - except -”

“Why are you crying? Did he hit you again?”

“He was drunk and got in an argument with Omonim so I was in the middle - he said he didn’t mean it.”

“Min Young listen to me - when I die - I want you to divorce him and put Omma in a home. Leave him - he’s my brother but he’s no good. Live for yourself. Jin Ae would want you to do that.”

“Unnie - I’m calling you from Omonim’s phone because he smashed mine.  I called the police and he’s in the station. I’m going to give a statement soon.  Omonim is mad at me.”

“Nevermind if Omma is mad at you. Just bear it. I’ll have someone contact you soon.”

It took her an hour before her hand was warm enough to hold the mobile again. The last mobile had melted when she answered a call from her brother.

“Stanley it’s Ji Won - hey is your brother still with the branch in LA? His wife is an attorney isn’t she? Domestic violence? Can you do me a favor and call her? My sister in law needs an attorney. I know - it’s hard for my mother and myself given that Jin Ae died just this year. I’ll send you her name and contact number.  Please help her. Thanks so much Stanley.”

After that Ji Won felt so much better. She takes as shower and opens her laptop.  She was watching the news when she gasps and holds the laptop closer.

“What?” She stares at the dead woman on the screen. “Hanah?”

The reporter was pointing at an alleyway where the body of a young woman was found. She had been brutally assaulted and left to die.  It was deemed as an isolated case and took the spotlight from the usual gory reports about Dark Angel’s Blood.

Ji Won looks up the alley where Hanah’s body was found. It was 2 blocks down the club that she was working.

From the time Hanah ran away from Ji Won - she gave the young woman 2 weeks before showing up again. By that time Ji Won told Hanah the real story of why she was in Korea but it was a diluted version - only that Ji Won wanted to know how her niece Jin Ae died. But the young woman was tight lipped and didn't want to disclose anything about the club for Ji Won’s safety and mostly because Hanah was really terrified of her employer.

Ji Won constantly urged the young woman to leave the club but Hanah didn’t want to to.  The pay was very high and enabled the young woman to support herself without relying too much on her parents.  After careful prodding, the young woman finally told Ji Won that she lost her scholarship but didn’t want to tell her parents about it that was why she was working in the club.

They did meet but only in the daylight hours - for a few hours in a week Ji Won was a normal woman walking around shopping centers and parks with her friend Hanah.  They even had meals in the restaurant that her parents owned.

“Why? Why? Why would they kill her?” Ji Won’s heart ached. There were no signs of robbery the police said as her bag was intact.  Ji Won decides not to go to Ilsan that day. She wasn’t going anywhere until she knew why Hanah was murdered.

That same day Joohyun receives a video call from one of the older girls that she knew when she worked in the rice-soup shop.

“Unnie! “ Joohyun looks at the face of her friend.  

For all intents and purposes - her co-workers, the rice-soup owners and the nuns-  all knew that Joohyun lived in Japan with Yonghwa. She was still too young to mask the vampire aura that surrounded her and needed an older vampire to do it for her. Twice she had gone with Yonghwa to visit the nuns - when the mother superior died and when one of the oldest nuns died.  She had panicked when one of the nuns commented that she still looked like she was in her 20s. But her nampyeon calmed her with his hand and had smoothly said that Joohyun was young looking because he took care of her very well.

“Hyunnie - did you watch the news today? Ah you couldn’t have - you’re in Japan! We had to close shop today - Boss Park - Boss Park…” The woman once again succumbs to tears.

“Did something happen to Boss Park? Mrs. Park?” Joohyun’s former employers were getting old and she sometimes requested Jungshin to have one of the doctors that worked in one of the hospitals that their family owned to visit the rice-soup restaurant as well as the orphanage.

“Hanah is dead! Murdered! The young woman in the news - that’s Hanah! The police came early this morning to tell them. It’s horrible Hyunnie - they’re both in the hospital and Hanah’s body is in the coroner’s morgue waiting for her parents to identify her.”

Joohyun felt her eyes and chest hurt.  Hanah was the only child of her former employers.  They had her late in life and always treated her like a princess. Last time Joohyun heard that Hanah had moved out of her parents’ home, got a scholarship and was working part time while in university. Her parents were proud of their daughter and would always show pictures of her to Joohyun whenever they had a video chat.

“If you could - Hyunnie - try to call them up.  It would mean a lot to them - the other girls and I -  we’ll run the restaurant while Boss is in the hospital.”

Joohyun was relieved to know that the couple were taken by an ambulance that belonged to one their hospitals. She hurries to tell Jungshin.

“Shin-nee!” She looks on and sees that he had already seen the news. He was talking on the phone and motioned for her to sit down.

“Deh, kamsahamnida Director Lee. We appreciate your acceptance of our request. We will be waiting.”

Joohyun knew that Jungshin just finished talking to one of his descendants - the Director of the National Forensics Services.

“They will let us know the findings as soon as. Has Boss Park called you?”

“They’re both in the hospital Shin-nee. They were taken by one of our ambulances. Can you check on them?”

Jungshin nods and calls the Hospital Director’s office. His voice was authoritative and clipped - very far from the laughing and joking tone of voice he always had when they were playing RPG games.

Of all her siblings, Jungshin was the most playful one - laughing, carefree and the one who got into the most trouble with Nauri but he was the most spoiled and all of them indulged him a lot because he was very charming. To see his serious face and his flashing eyes was quite a new thing for Joohyun.

“I gave instructions to put them in the VIP suites. Boss Park’s blood pressure is very high and I’m having them observe him closely in case he has a .  Mrs. Park is just resting. Maybe tomorrow she can go and identify Hanah.” Jungshin’s voice broke a little when he said the girl’s name. He was fond of Hanah when she was little.  Mrs. Park would tell her that she should marry someone like Jungshin when she grew up. The little girl would nod and at one time asked Jungshin for wait for her to grow up.

Three days later the coroner’s report was released. Park Hanah was assaulted - brutally and left for dead. Her legs and arms were broken and she had internal bleeding  - blood pooled in her stomach. She was cleared for drug usage and the press had a field day when it was leaked that she worked for one of the clubs that sold Dark Angel’s Blood to its patrons.

“Tell Lee Soohyuk that if he wants to live he needs to close his clubs.” Yonghwa told Atty. Junghoon.

After a few minutes the attorney called up and told Yonghwa that Park Hanah was not employed in any of the 3 clubs that Lee Soohyuk owned.

“How convenient.” Joohyun murmurs. “I’m going to see him Yong.”

“Dear One - no!”

“He’s lying - the girls in the soup restaurant  they told me that Hanah works there except her parents didn’t know it. He has to tell me what he knows - if he killed her - “ Joohyun’s eyes turn black and shards of Light come out of her hair. “I’m going even if you don't want me to! “

She felt the familiar twist in her stomach but she was determined.  She was dressed minutes later in a figure hugging hammered silver dress, silver shoes, makeup and her hair falling like a living thing. She was going clubbing and she would be wrapping the Light around Lee Soohyuk’s neck and getting the truth from that dirty evil vampire.

She tells the vampire guards to bring up one of Nauri’s cars.

“Which one Agassi?”

“Any. You pick.”

“We’re going with you.” It was statement not a question. Nauri's orders.

“Uhm maybe in another car - I don't know if Nauri is coming with me.” Joohyun looks at the deserted lobby.  Her stomach throbbed painfully so she knew that her Mate was mad at her.

When she sees the Aston Martin come up the driveway, Joohyun had to bite her lip.  It was one of her nampyeon’s more expensive cars - she should have just said that she would use the Mercedes.

She was about to tell Security to change the car when Yonghwa gets out from the driver’s side and her face breaks out into a radiant smile.

“Let’s go.” He inclined his head and had to watch as all 6 of the vampire guards stare at his smiling Mate. Joohyun as usual was totally unaware of her impact on males - vampires or humans.

She thanks the vampire guard who opens the passenger side of the car.  As soon as the door closes she leans to kiss her Mate’s cheek thanking him for going with her.

When they reach their destination Joohyun looks at her Mate.“Why are we  going to the back of the building, Yong?”

“Vampires do not visit the club Anae - the entrances in front are only for humans.” Yonghwa replies.

“Oh then I totally wasted this outfit then.” She looks at her silver dress and shoes.

“Why? I saw it - so it’s not totally wasted.” Yonghwa looks at her and laughs when she nods her head and agrees with him.

When the vampire guards recognize Yonghwa they scramble to inform their Head.

“Nauri - forgive us we were not informed of your visit.” The burly vampire bows.

“We come unannounced. “ Yonghwa replies. “Tell your Master that I am here to see him.”

“At once Nauri.”

Yonghwa takes Joohyun’s hand and they walk past 2 rows of bowing vampires.

A female vampire wearing a skin tight velvet gown bows and presses the elevator. She holds the elevator open before bowing again. Her eyes respectfully downcast.

“Kamsahamnida.” Joohyun tells her just before the elevator closes.

The attendant’s face mirrors surprise before she bows once again.

“Yong - do they really bow until the elevator closes?”

“Yes.” Her Mate replies.

“Why?”

“Because I am Nauri.” He replies simply.

Based on his bloodline Yonghwa was technically a “wangja” or “daegun” but even the Scholar could not force him to accept any title except “nauri” meaning “sir” or ‘ my lord”.

They were whisked up to the top floor where another female vampire bows and leads them an office.

“Nauri - ah and Lady Jung.” Lee Soohyuk smiles and stands up to bow to Yonghwa and incline his head respectfully to Joohyun.

“My apologies I was just on the phone with your Eldest - my ears are still ringing from his curses.” The handsome vampire replies. “Ah your eyes flash Lady Jung - not to worry Lee Jonghyun and I go a long way - we’re related.”

“He was the one who tried to kill Jonghyun.” Yonghwa looks at his Mate. “Don’t ever let your let your guard down with him Anae.”

“Now - now - I thought we had forgotten that little episode with my lunatic sister.” Soohyuk waves his hand dismissively. “To what do I owe the pleasure of Lord and Lady Jung’s visit? Clubbing?”

“Park Hanah.” Joohyun looks at him.

“Who?”

“The girl who was murdered in an alley near your club- her name is Park Hanah. She worked as a bartender.”

“Lady Jung - I can’t know every human employed in the 3 clubs my family runs.  Every club has a Boss assigned to it. Let me just…..”

They all turn when a female vampire comes out of the elevator clutching at what was an empty socket where her arm used to be.

“Mas- mas-master….downstairs….” She was clearly very weakened and fell down on her knees.

Soohyuk immediately opens the wall of TVs on his left.

“What in the name of the Darkness is that?” He asks as he gets his mobile. “Nam Joon - hello? What is happening in the club?!”

They watch as a lone black figure wielded a machete on the vampire guards. Everyone - vampire and human - ran for their lives.

“Laughter….he’s laughing….” Soohyuk exclaims. “He’s killing my children and he’s laughing.”

“Too high pitched…” Yonghwa shakes his head. “That’s a woman.”

“Hurry! Seal the elevators!” Soohyuk tells his guards. “Get in front of me! Don’t let that...that thing near me...I command you!”

They watch as the black clad figure grabs one of the vampires.

“Nam Joon!” Soohyuk exclaims. “He- he’s the Boss of -”

The black figure drags the struggling vampire by his hair.  Right in front of the CCTV camera they watch as the machete swung and beheads the vampire in one fell swoop.

“Yong!” Joohyun gasps and turns to grab Yonghwa - the sight was so terrible that she d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter