Monster - Part 7 (On the way to a 1,000 years)

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun’s eyes open and she felt disoriented.

“Oh you’re awake.”  A soft feminine voice exclaims. “I will call Sensei.”

Before Joohyun could even turn her head the voice was gone and only the sound of a closing door was heard.

“Where am I?” She murmurs as a wave of dizziness hits her.  Carefully she sits up to look around her. The room was very simple – bed, side tables, lamp, 2 chairs, a table and a very beautiful Japanese screen of flying cranes. Very modern, very minimalist and very Japanese. All Joohyun could remember was being irritated with Yonghwa’s stubbornness then everything went dark.

She looks at herself – she was no longer in her party dress but in a simple soft pink silk kimono with tiny white flowers almost a twin to the kimono that she always wore when she lived with Yonghwa. She rubs the fabric with her fingers – it was real she wasn’t dreaming. She holds her hair – it was braided to one side.

“What happened to me?” She moves to the end of the bed and was in the process of standing when the door opens and a man dressed in a dark blue Japanese robe comes in with a young woman also dressed in dark blue.

“Ah you’re awake,” He smiles at her. “Disorientation is quite a natural when you come out of a spell.” He spoke in Japanese and smiles.

“Sensei said being disoriented is natural after being put under a spell.” The young woman tells Joohyun.

“What do you want from me?” Joohyun looks at the man.

The young woman was about to translate when the man holds his hand up. “Didn’t you want to become one of us?”

Even before the young woman finishes translating Joohyun was shaking her head furiously. “You have no right to kidnap me. I only want to be with Yonghwa – he is the reason. I only want to become like him.”

The young woman translates and Joohyun sees the man become angry. He paces the floor and the young woman looks nervously at Joohyun,

“Sensei said that you must be aware how important it that that you become one of us so that the Void can become powerless. If Daimyo doesn’t want to turn you despite of your willingness then Sensei will present you with several candidates who wold be more than willing to turn you.” These words the young woman said with downcast eyes.

Joohyun felt as if ice water was poured over her. Her heart beats faster and she was very scared. She manages to gather her courage and stand straight. “I think you misunderstand me – I only want to be with Yonghwa. I don’t want anyone else.” She felt her hands tremble so she quickly puts them behind her back.

The young woman looked very scared as she translates Joohyun’s words.

“Clearly you are a stubborn as he is but you may change your mind when you see them. Prepare her! We don’t have much time.” The man leaves the room.

The two women close their eyes as the door slams shut.

Joohyun runs to the windows and throws it open – the clear moonlit night showed a peaceful garden and in the far end she could see the Void rushing at the gates.

“The entire mansion has a containment spell over it that is why it cannot follow you. It’s been rushing the gates since you came here.” The young woman tells Joohyun. “I am Minami.”

“Are you….?” Joohyun looks at the young woman who looked not a day over 16. Her pale beautiful face was set with lines of concern.

“Deh, I am a vampire. My father was Japanese and my mother was Korean hence I know Hangul.”

“How old are you?”

“Only 100 so I am still lacking in skills.”

“Do you know Yonghwa?”

“Of course Daimyo is the child of Lady Ueno Juri.  The Lady is the mate of Sensei. Daimyo has always been a source of conflict between the Lady and Sensei.”  Minami stammers when she says this.

“So you know who I am?”

“You are the woman who is followed by the darkness. Daimyo was told by the Council to make you his mate before your 25th birthday but Daimyo has repeatedly refused to turn you.”

“Where am I?”

“You are in Japan. This is the mansion of Sensei and the Lady.”

“But I was just talking to Yong! How can I be in Japan? “

“You were taken by Sensei yesterday. It does not matter how you got here. Now I must prepare you.”

“Prepare me for what?” Joohyun moves away.

The young woman sighs. “Agassi – please cooperate or I will be in real trouble – young ladies cannot meet gentlemen in a house kimono. I will just dress you in a more formal kimono.”

“No thank you. My dress will be sufficient.” Joohyun tells her.

The young woman was clearly torn between Joohyun’s stubbornness and her fear of her master.

“You won’t get into trouble tell him I insisted.” Joohyun tells her. “I’m not afraid of him.”

Joohyun bathed and dressed under the watchful eye of Minami.  Her dress was freshly laundered and pressed and Minami was adamant that Joohyun put on makeup and fix her hair.  An hour later Joohyun and Minami step out of the room – Minami’s stockinged feet and Joohyun’s slippers hardly making a sound on the shiny wooden floors.

“Child! Why isn’t she dressed properly?” Shun Oguri’s voice rises when Joohyun and Minami enter the spacious living room.

“Sensei – I-“Minami bows.

“I told her I wanted to use my own clothes.” Joohyun looks at him defiantly.

Shun Oguri’s eyebrows shoot up and he takes in the two bright pink spots on joohyun’s cheeks and her glaring eyes. This one was spirited and he saw both fear and determination in her eyes. She would not back down easily.

“Sit down then.” He gestures towards the high backed chairs. “Stand next to her, Minami – I will deal with you later.”

Just then a man comes running and bows to Shun Oguri. “Sensei – the gates – they can’t hold out anymore without the Lady. The entrance that I made in order for the 3 guests to come in has weakened the spell. The Lady she might punish me for –“

“I will deal with my mate when she comes home right now the more important matter is for you to hold the spell together.”

The man bows and leaves the room. Shun Oguri gives a hard look at Joohyun before leaving the room.

Jung Yonghwa why aren’t you here yet? This man terrifies me!

Joohyun’s heart ached at the thought that maybe he wouldn’t come.

Three young men come to the living room –all tall, unbelievably handsome and well dressed.  They line up in front of Joohyun. They view her with interest which made her skin crawl.

If that old vampire doesn’t come soon, I’ll never forgive him!

“So, young miss, here are 3 vampires you can choose from. Anyone of them can turn you into a vampire.” Shun Oguri tells Joohyun.

Even before Minami can finish the translation Joohyun was shaking her head. “No! I only want Yonghwa.”

At the mention of Yonghwa’s name Shun Oguri’s becomes angry. “That head strong brat! He doesn’t want to turn you – how can you still want him?”

Joohyun takes a deep breath to steady herself. “I will choose my fate I know that much. You cannot force me to do what you want to do.”

“You would choose the void?” One of the young men looks at her. “You would let your race be overcome by the dead?”

“Of course not! I chose Yonghwa – I want to be with him.” Joohyun replies.

“Ah my manners – my name is Aaron Yan. I am from Taiwan.” The vampire nearest to Joohyun bows.

“I am George Hu. I am originally from Taiwan but now live in New York.” The 2nd vampire bows.

“Miura Hiruma.” The 3rd vampire doesn’t bow but merely looks at Joohyun. “You’re wondering how we could speak Korean perfectly – we’ve gone there many times in many life times.  Jung Nauri knows us well.”

“Well, have her choose!” Shun Oguri looks at the 3 young vampires.

“Miss Seo – Sensei is a really impatient vampire because he’s really old. Not having the Lady here further adds to his distress.” George takes a step towards Joohyun but steps back when Joohyun gasps and turns her face away.

“Choosing one of us as your Maker will be easier than choosing Nauri as a Mate.  The conversion is shall we say less gory.” Andrew Yan had a smirk on his face.

“I don’t understand.” Joohyun looks up and stammers.

“Simple – if one of turns you by biting you within an inch of your life then you will become a child. One of us will be your Master forever. “Miura Hiruma inclines his head and looks at Joohyun.

 “As for becoming a mate –“George Hu began but wasn’t able to finish as he was suddenly smashed against the wall.

“I think what you’ve told her is enough.” The doors open and Yonghwa walks into the room. “None of you are qualified to talk about taking a mate since none of you have one.”

“Nauri.” Aron and Miura bow while George was dropped to the ground.

“Leave while you still can.” Yonghwa tells them.

“We were invited here because you didn’t want to do your duty.” Miura Hiruma spat out.

Yonghwa changed then – his eyes become black, his incisors lengthened and his hands become like talons – he was only a blur as he catches the younger vampire by the neck and squeezes so hard that blood was coming out his eyes and ears.

Joohyun was terrified. She’d never seen Yonghwa fully change before – she’d never seen him this angry but she didn’t even think as she ran and back hugged him.

“No Yong – please stop! Don’t do this – you’re scaring me!” She sobs against his back.

Every vampire was shocked with what she did. No one ever came near Yonghwa when he changed not even Shun Oguri. Yonghwa was considered as one of the most ruthless when it came to battles – Ueno Juri’s magic in his blood made him almost invincible. But they even more shocked when a white light surrounds Joohyun and Yonghwa.

Thru the red haze Yonghwa could faintly hear Joohyun’s voice, he felt warm arms around him, saw two hands linked together holding him fast. He saw light shining out of her linked hands.

“Please – please!” Joohyun was sobbing hard. “Yong!” She only holds him tighter calling his name repeatedly.

Yonghwa flings Miura to the floor.  His talons retract and his facial features become normal. Breathing heavily he turns and gathers Joohyun in his arms. “Are you alright? Did they hurt you? You must tell me.”

“No they didn’t.” Joohyun stammers. She felt weak as she leans her head on Yonghwa’s chest.

“Minami!” Yonghwa looks at the young female vampire.

“I took care of her Nauri.” Minami answers.

“What took you so long bastard Lord?” Shun Oguri asks. “I was just asking the young lady who she wanted as her Maker since you didn’t want to do it yourself.”

“Yong let’s just go home. Don’t fight anymore.” Joohyun whispers against Yonghwa’s chest. Her hands clutched at the edges of his leather jacket. “Take me home please.” Joohyun felt very nauseous and her head was pounding. She felt again the numbing feeling that she felt when she was unconscious.  She closes her eyes and goes limp.

 Yonghwa picks Joohyun up. “You used the disappearing spell on her, didn’t you? You know very well the adverse effects it has on humans! Does Lady Ueno know?” Yonghwa looks at Minami.

“Ah – Nauri…“She looks at her Sensei.

“I told Sosuke to do the spell. I am responsible! I did all of this so that you’ll come to your senses and do the right thing! Do you know where your Okasama is right now? She’s been summoned by the Head of the Council – she’s being considered as a candidate for the next Head of the Council. A great honor but it will not mean anything if her own child is the most stubborn vampire on the planet!”

“And if something happens to Joohyun because of that spell - no matter what Okasama does to me – I will tear you to pieces!” Yonghwa snarls at samurai. He walks out with Joohyun in his arms. “Minami!”

“Nauri!” The young woman starts to run after him.

“Call Sosuke! I want him to examine Joohyun! Now!” Yonghwa’s angry voice echoes along the corridor. “I’ll kill every one of you if something happens to her.”

“That brat!” Shun Oguri fumes and looks at the 3 young male vampires. “I would tell you to leave but as it is the containment spell would be weakened again. One of the maidens will lead you to the guest house – make yourselves at home. When the Lady Ueno comes I will summon you.”

“Did you see the light that came out of her when she embraced Nauri? “ Aron looks at his companions.

“I heard it comes from –“George replies.

“Silence!” Their Sensei snaps. “Help him up.”

“Sensei – will the gates hold until the Lady comes?” Aaron asks.

“It must.” Shun Oguri replies.

“How did Daimyo come here?” George asks.

“He is the Lady’s child – her blood is in him – it is easy for him to travel thru space.” Miura tells him as he wipes the blood on his face.

“That’s why he’s such a bastard! I don’t know how my mate puts up with him.” Shun Oguri’s anger against his mate’s child was very evident in his voice.

The three younger vampires look ever where else except at their Sensei.  They actually found Yonghwa more tolerable than Shun Oguri. Despite of his great power, Yonghwa was low key and kept to himself. But then again Sensei was an old vampire and as such commanded respect.

A young female vampire comes up and bows. “The guest house is ready Sensei.”

“Alright Masako – please our guests.” Sensei nods and walks towards the windows. This was a signal of dismissal.

He was agitated and very angry at Yonghwa but he promised his mate that he wouldn’t tell her child the real reason that the Lady wasn’t in residence.  It was supposed to be a meeting that turned into a hostage situation. His mate was in France and under house arrest. The Council held her responsible for Yonghwa’s refusal to turn Joohyun.

“Ah Lady you ask too much of me! This old warrior is having trouble keeping his word.”  Shun Oguri views the Void kept rushing at the gates. Without the Lady even the combined magic of Sosuke and himself would not be able to keep the integrity of the containment spell.

Meanwhile…..

The door opens violently as Yonghwa enters the bedroom. His anger was palpable as the glass and vases along the corridors were shaking as he passes by. Minami had to push back them so that they wouldn’t shatter on the floor.

In his Okasama’s residence Yonghwa’s magic becomes stronger which wasn’t really a good thing for the young vampire that was trailing behind and even worst for the Lady’s assistant Sosuke who conjured the disappearing spell used on Joohyun.

“Why isn’t Sosuke here? I told you to call him!” Yonghwa looks at Minami.

“He’s coming Daimyo.  He just had to reinforce the containment spell.” Minami answers. She dared not look at Yonghwa.

The Lady’s only child was aloof and preferred to be left alone whenever he visited his Maker. His last visit was still fresh in their minds – it had caused the Lady much anguish and pain not to mention constant tension with Sensei. Minami had been terrified when Yonghwa fully turned while he was shackled.

But had hung open when Yonghwa gathered the human female in his arms. His words were soft and caring. Daimyo cared to the woman. What Minami could not understand was his refusal to turn her when he cared so much for her.

Daimyo has always been strange.

“Minami – get me a change of clothes for Joohyun.” Yonghwa tells her in Korean.

“I can prepare her Nauri.” She offers.

“No – no one touches her. “ Yonghwa replies as he places Joohyun on the bed. He adjusts the pillow on her head and was turning her to her side when he notices that Minami was still in the room. “Why are you still here?”

“Mianeyo Nauri. I am going.” Minami bows and quickly leaves the room to get the kimono. She was very perplexed - the way Nauri was undressing the human woman like he had already done it before.

She comes back with a peach colored kimono and silently hands it to Yonghwa.

“Stand outside and stay there.  Announce Sosuke when he comes.” Yonghwa hardly spares a glance at the young vampire.

As soon as Minami closes the door Yonghwa undresses Joohyun, carefully removing her dress and her bra. He dresses her in the kimono – wrapping the silken robe around the luminous skin, briefly glancing at the pink s and feeling his incisors lengthen. He was angry at everyone and at himself for making Joohyun this way.

When she suddenly disappeared he’d been frantic. Fearing what Shun Oguri would do to her. He called Jonghyun to follow him to Japan with Minhyuk, Jungshin and Yoona.  Then he tells his security to get his Ducati Desmosedici – the fastest of 5 motorcycles he owned. Quickly changing into his black leather outfit Yonghwa sped out of his basement and out of Seoul in under 25 minutes. His destination was Mount Bukhansan.

Of course Shun Oguri had a helicopter and a private jet in order get himself and Joohyun to Japan. He was angry that his Maker would resort to this abduction in order to get him to do what she wanted him to do.

His mobile vibrates. “Deh?”

“Nauri, we’ve been unable to find any private jets leaving for Japan.” Jungshin tells Yonghwa.

“Never mind – get yourselves to Okasama’s mansion as soon as you can.” Yonghwa replies.

“And how will you get to Japan Nauri?”

“The way my Maker taught me.” Yonghwa closes his mobile.

His bike was built for speed and it was past midnight when he reaches the mountain. Gunning his motorcycle to maximum speed he takes it to the top of the mountain. He calls his head of Security and gives him directions on where he would leave his motorbike.

 He walks to peak and feels the moonlight wash over him. He was going to do something he hadn’t done for a long time. The disappearing spell was a spell that Ueno Juri painstakingly taught him hundreds of years ago when he was a new vampire. This spell enabled him to be with Shin Hye on the week that she died. The last time he used this spell was to take a newly turned Yoona from Shanghai to Japan to present her to his Maker.

His begins to murmur the chanting spell picturing the mansion that his Maker lived in.  It took him 3 tries to successfully chant the spell. He felt himself being pulled towards a darkness that had no sight and sound – he could not even feel his own self.  The travel itself was frightening and the arrival even more so.  One did not always arrive at one’s expected destination.  Yonghwa did arrive in Japan but it was a long way off from his Maker’s mansion in the mountains. Unable to travel due to daylight he had to stay in a small country inn before purchasing another motorcycle and heading for his destination.

When he arrives, Yonghwa watches the Void hurl itself against the protected gates. He very tired and physically needed to have blood but he had to call on the disappearing spell on more time in order to get inside the mansion.

 He was taken out of his reverie when Joohyun’s teeth started chattering. This was another after effect of the spell.  Yonghwa turns the room upside down looking for a blanket before shouting at Minami to get a blanket.

“You’re so….angry….Yong….” Joohyun whispers. “I’m so cold….why am I so cold?”

“Joohyunah – “Yonghwa sits on the bed and holds her. “Wait a while the blanket is coming.”

Minami and Sosuke enter the bedroom. She hands Yonghwa the blanket and both of them watch as he tenderly wraps Joohyun with it.

When he stands up and looks at Sosuke his eyes were already black. “You know how bad the effects of the disappearing spell are on humans yet you still did this.”

“Daimyo – I had no choice when the Lady left she told me to follow whatever Sensei told me to do.” The apprentice bows.

“Where is Okasama exactly?” Yonghwa asks.

“She is in Europe – in a chateau in France.  I believe the Head of the Council called her.” Sosuke kept his eyes to the floor.

“What are you not telling me?” Yonghwa comes closer.

Sosuke closes his eyes. It was a mistake to come here. The Daimyo was his Lady’s child and as such held as much authority over Sosuke as the Sensei. Everything Sosuke knew about maigc Yonghwa had mastered 300 years before.

“The Lady she is –“Sosuke looks up right before the door opens and Shun Oguri comes in.

“Get out of this room!” Yonghwa rushes at him.

“You may not want to tear me to pieces after you hear what I have to say.” The samurai looks at Yonghwa.

“Daimyo! She’s shaking violently!” Minami rushes to Joohyun. But before she could even come near Joohyun a white light envelopes her shaking body. Minami felt intense pain when she tries to hold Joohyun. Pulling her hand back Minami grimaces in pain and retreats to the far corner of the room.

“This is her natural power protecting her.” Yonghwa tells them. “I told you before that the disappearing spell has different effects on humans and animals that is why it cannot be done without consequences. With Joohyun I don’t think her light will allow us to go near her until the spell is gone from her body.”

“My apologies Daimyo – I will search the books for a spell for her.” Sosuke bows and leaves the room.

It was at the tip of Yonghwa’s tongue to tell the apprentice to check on the tranquility spell but he stops himself – there was another more important thing that Yonghwa wanted to do - he wanted Shun Oguri out of the room.

“Tell me where Okasama is.” Yonghwa looks at his Maker’s mate.

“She told me not to tell you.” The samurai replies.

“That has never stopped you before.” Yonghwa willed himself to be calm. “I believe you find pleasure in making me angry.”

“True but this time I did promise my mate not to tell you but I will break my promise. It is not a usual occurrence for me.” The samurai opens the curtains and looks at the Void. “It’s getting bigger isn’t? I was very surprised when it was here just right after we materialized.”

“Of course – Joohyun was weakened by the disappearance spell and until she gets better it will continue to be get bigger.” Yonghwa stands next to the samurai. “Only someone as mental as you wouldn’t think of the consequences of such a powerful spell on a human. Specially a human as unique as Joohyun.”

“I have my reasons bastard Lord.” Shun Oguri’s own eyes turn black. “My mate is in danger! And it’s all because of you!” He grabs Yonghwa’s neck and pushes him against the glass.

“I never understood just how much my mate has affection for you until this time. Even when she knew it would be a trap she still went to France. The Council is holding my mate responsible for your continued refusal to turn this human! Do you understand my frustration? Do you?” Shun Oguri hands turn to talons piercing Yonghwa’s neck.

But as soon as he did this Shun Oguri felt intense pain as the white light wraps itself around Yonghwa’s neck. He screams in pain and tries to withdraw his hands but he was unable to as the white light continued to extend to his wrists holding him fast until every puncture wound on Yonghwa’s neck close. They both turn to look at Joohyun – she was still surrounded by white light although it was faint.

“Let go of me!  She needs the light for protecting herself!” Yonghwa pushes the older vampire away.

Then the white light shone again on Joohyun – her shaking stopped but she was in pain.

“Joohyun!” Yonghwa rushes to the bed and without thinking he embraces her. He was prepared for the pain of the white light but he closes his eyes and gather her to his arms. “Joohyun – I am here!”

“The strange light didn’t harm you.” Minami approaches the bed again.  She was still flexing her hand – the pain that the white light inflicted was still there.

The white light was still outlined around Joohyun but it had no effect on Yonghwa.

“After seeing this and knowing that your Maker is danger do you still believe that this human should not be turned? The Lady has seen this in her dreams and this is your fate!” Shun Oguri shouts at Yonghwa.

“Call them – I will talk to them.” Yonghwa looks at Shun Oguri.

“And what? Try to buy for time? Ueno Juri is in danger and I will kill you if they kill her!” Shun Oguri shouts at Yonghwa.

“I’ll tell them I’ll do it!” He shouts right back. “I’ll do it!”

Yonghwa was very worried because Joohyun kept in pain. The disappearing spell played havoc on a human’s metabolic state sometimes causing organs to fail, blindness or mental breakdown.  He just hoped that her natural power would help her to heal.

Shun Oguri looks at Yonghwa – never in this child’s existence did he see Yonghwa this distraught. He was always cold and aloof to everyone except for his family and Ueno Juri. The vast wealth he accumulated only isolated Yonghwa more even from the company of his own kind. Looking at him cradling t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter