Monster - Part 10 (Sometimes the Way to a 1,000 years has bumps)

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Flow?” Joohyun looks at Yoon and Ueno Juri. “Uhm – you mean my period?”

The 2 female vampires nod.  Ueno Juri was on video call with Yoona and Joohyun. Yonghwa was downstairs in the office.

“When did you last have it Unnie?” Yoona asks.

“I don’t really remember.” Joohyun replies.  The past months since seeing Yonghwa again and the events that followed made her forget.

“Think child. It’s important.” Ueno Juri tells her.

“I believe it’s a week before my – er - abduction.” Joohyun blushes profusely as soon she said that. “I’m almost sure.” When Disappearing spell was cast on her by Ueno Juri’s Apprentice on Shun Oguri’s order.

“Sobo – she’s been sick after that.” Yoona nods.

Ueno Juri felt her irritation with her mate rise up yet again.  It was good thing the samurai was in the garden or else she would have hurled something at him.

“Child – before you and Yonghwa perform the conversion ceremony your body must be clean. The moon flow shouldn’t be in your body. I’m afraid we will have to wait until you have your flow before we can commence the conversion and it has to time with the full moon.”

Joohyun bit her lower lip – her disappointment showing. She never really paid attention. She never needed to. It came every month and that was that.

From her monitor, Ueno Juri could see the young woman’s disappointment. 

“Unnie – we can ask Jungshin-ah what to do.” Yoona holds Joohyun’s hand. “He’s a physician he can give us advice.”

“Unnie he’s a guy.” Joohyun looks at Yoona.

“He practices medicine.” Yoona insisted. “Sobo we’ll talk first to Jungshin-ah and we’ll let you know.”

After they’ve ended the video call Ueno Juri sat back on her chair.  If she knew her Child – Yonghwa would be offended that Joohyun sought advice from another male. But then again, the children were of a younger generation – maybe she was just old fashioned.

“Minami!” She calls out to her servant. “Where is Sensei?”

She was mad at her mate again and pondered what spell to cast on him as punishment for making Joohyun sick. Or maybe she should make her Apprentice, Sosuke re-read all the spell books again as a punishment because the spell he cast on Joohyun was lousy.

“Oh, what do I owe the pleasure?” Jungshin looks up from his computer as Yoona and Joohyun enter his office. “Does Nauri know you are here?”

“Uhm no.” Joohyun shakes her head. “I – I mean – we – have something we need your advice on.”

“As a physician.” Yoona adds.

“Is something wrong Hyunnie? Do you hurt anywhere?” Jungshin immediately got up and walks over to where Joohyun was sitting. “Tell me.”

“Uhm – it’s a personal matter and since you’re the only doctor I know and you’ve been taking care of me since I got sick –“Joohyun’s hands twist and rub against each other, she felt her face start to heat up.

“Your face is getting red – are you sick? Fever?” Jungshin walks to the cabinet and takes out the huge medicine box. Ever since Joohyun got sick the first time, Jungshin already prepared everything that he would need in order to cure her.  His Maker had specified that he didn’t want Joohyun to go to any of the hospitals that they owned – she must be always treated at his home.

“Ah – I’m fine Shin-nee.” Joohyun tells him as he was pulling out the stethoscope. “No fever – really.”

“Ah – can you let us explain first?” Yoona stands and puts the stethoscope back. “When is Nauri’s meeting finishing?”

“I don’t know let me ask his Secretary.” Jungshin was already calling Secretary Hong. “Alright – meeting will be done in 20 minutes.”

Joohyun takes a deep breath. “I need to ask you about monthly periods.”

Jungshin looks at Joohyun and Yoona blankly.  “Uhm – OB GYN isn’t really my specialty – I trained as a General Surgeon.”

“But you must have some knowledge of the female anatomy.” Yoona exclaims. “You took care of me when I was –“Then she stops and swallows.

“Stop.” Jungshin glares at her. “Don’t continue. Not unless you want Jonghyun Hyung to get really, really mad at you and at me.”

Yoona throat convulses but she nods. “Anyway – please let Hyunnie ask you a question.”

Joohyun blinks and gathers her composure. While she was hugely embarrassed about what she was going to ask Jungshin she was also very bothered by the exchange between Yoona and Jungshin. She made a mental note to ask Yonghwa about it.

“Well?” Jungshin stands in front Yoona and Joohyun. “Tell me – we have less than 20 minutes before Nauri comes out from his meeting. Knowing Nauri he would have sensed your presence from the time you came in here.”

“Uhm – I haven’t had my period since I was taken to Japan.” Joohyun says it in a rush.

“It’s understandable Hynnie – your body was subjected to the after effects of the spell. It would take time to heal and become healthy before you –“Then he stops midway and looks at her again.

Joohyun nods – glad that he understood the reason for her question. “Ommonim said I – we - can’t have the ceremony until I have my period. So the full moon for this month is completely out of the picture and we will have to wait next month. But I need to be assured that I would have my period by next month.”

“Hyunnie – I can’t assure you of that. Not even if a female physician examines you – we are dealing with the after effects of a magic spell. There’s a reason that Nauri does not let up in making me take your vitals every other day – the reason why I am still here in Seoul. You are the only human in 2 centuries that we have ever seen that has survived that spell.”

“Am I supposed to be happy with that?” Joohyun tucks her hair behind her ears. She was frustrated.

“Yes – because if you had died - then there was no telling what Nauri would have done to Sobo and Sensei. Or the Apprentice that cast the spell.  Or everyone in that mansion. We haven’t seen him turn violent since the vampire wars in the 1970s. Believe me – there would have no stopping him or us in ending them.”

“What?” Joohyun pales.

“Jungshin-ah! Stop you are scaring Hyunnie!” Yoona holds Joohyun’s hands.

Joohyun shakes her head and breathes deeply.  She knew just how much control Yonghwa exerted over his natural violent nature. “I’m fine Unnie – really. “

“Sobo said they couldn’t have the conversion ceremony until Hyunnie has her monthly flow. So is there a way to hasten it?” Yoona asks Jungshin.

“No – it must happen naturally.” Jungshin crosses his arms and shakes his head.

“Will a human doctor say the same thing? I mean if she goes to a hospital – one that we own – and has a private meeting with a female doctor.” Yoona asks.

“We need Nauri’s permission to do that! Hyeongsunim! I don’t wish to be thrown across the Han River again!” Jungshin exclaims.

“What needs my permission?”  Yonghwa asks as he steps into the room.  “Why are you here Joohyun? Are you not feeling well?” His hand immediately goes to her forehead then to her wrist – checking her pulse.

“I’m fine Yong.” Joohyun replies. “I was down here to ask Shin-nee something.”

“Your pulse is fast. What are you not telling me?” He looks at her then at Yoona and Jungshin. “What is she not telling me?”

Joohyun closes her eyes. Yoona and Jungshin would be compelled to tell Yonghwa because he was their Maker.

“Can we just go to your office Yong?” She stands up and holds his hand. “I will tell you there.”

“No we’re going upstairs. I don’t have any more meetings today. And it’s almost time for you to eat.” Yonghwa takes her hand.  Joohyun gives Yoona and Jungshin her best reassuring smile and a small wave.

They go back to the penthouse in silence. Yonghwa notices Joohyun’s worried face. As soon as the ancient doors close he puts his hands on her shoulders and just looks at her.

Joohyun sighs and she lowers her eyes. Yonghwa could be very intimidating if he wanted to be.

“Ommonim said we can’t have our ceremony until I have my period. And since it’s almost the full moon this month – we’d have to wait until next month.” Joohyun tells him.

“What were you and those 2 children of mine talking about in relation to our ceremony?” Yonghwa asks her.

“Uhm – I was going to ask if there was a way I could have my period already.” Joohyun looks past his shoulders. It was embarrassing really – wanting a person so much.

Yonghwa wanted to smile but he couldn’t.  Joohyun was embarrassed enough in asking Jungshin about it.

“And?” He looks at her flushed cheeks and downcast eyes. He was very pleased that she wanted their conversion ceremony as much as he did.

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” She suddenly looks at him and scowls. She tries to step back but she couldn’t.

“What did Jungshin say?” He asks.

“That it had to come naturally because of what happened to me. The Disappearing spell after effects.” She looks straight at his chest. She didn’t want to see his face. She was acutely embarrassed and irritated all at the same time. With him.

“Why are you angry at me?” He tilts her face up.

“Because!” She turns her face away. “You’re not in a hurry like I am. And – and it’s embarrassing that I am this way. There are you happy?”

Yonghwa’s laughter echoes in the foyer as he takes her in his arms and kisses her forehead. “You want me as much as I want you. I’m supremely happy about that.”

“Tsk! Only a really old person would say supremely happy. “Joohyun mutters against his shirt front.

“Yes an old person who loves you. So much.” Yonghwa kisses her cheek and pulls away. “Now let’s have lunch Joohyunah.”

She heats up her food while he heats up a cup of blood.  And because she always commented that the bottled water was expensive and Yonghwa would not drink any other brand – Joohyun splits the Fellico water between the 2 of them.

“So tell me what you three were talking about. You still haven’t answered me why you need my permission.” Yonghwa sips the warmed blood.

“Yoona Unnie and I were suggesting that a female doctor examine me to check and see if I can have period before the full moon of next month comes.” Joohyun puts down her chopsticks and looks at her husband.

“Eat. Or I won’t answer.” He replies. “We will talk after you’ve eaten.”

She scowls at him and continues eating. She knew that it was a compulsion for male vampires to make sure that their mates are fed. In her case, Yonghwa made sure that she ate a full 3 meals a day and got 8 to 10 hours of sleep.

“At this rate I’ll be fat by next month.” She mumbles as she drinks her water.

“You’ve only gained 4 pounds since you recovered.” He looks at her. “You’re as slim as when I first met you.”

She pouts and stands up to put her used dishes in the sink. “Drink your water so I can wash your cup.” She starts to wash the dishes when he back hugs her.

“Cup?” She turns to look at him. And in a second the cup was on the counter – she never felt him move. “Uhm – thanks. Now how can I wash if you are hugging me?”

“Simple don’t wash the dishes now. Let’s talk.” He whispers in her ear.

“I – I - have to finish washing.” She felt the hairs on her forearms rise and her skin tingle.

How can he say simple sentences and make them sound so y?

Yonghwa closes his eyes and once again feels his vampire nature rear its ugly head. He could see the main artery on her neck beat against the fragrant skin- she smelled of cherry blossoms as always. His lips kiss her neck and his hold on her loosens.

When his hold slackens Joohyun turns her head and looks at him. He was struggling again with his desire to her blood. She felt burdened by her human nature – she wanted to give him what he needed from her but knowing Yonghwa he would resist.

“Alright let’s talk.” She tells him – her eyes once again reflecting her regret that she wasn’t able to fulfill his need.

He gives her a beautiful smile and they sit on the sofa – Joohyun’s feet tucked under her, her head on his shoulder, their hands entwined, Yonghwa’s lips on her temple. This was where Joohyun wanted to be – this close to him – forever.

“Yong – if I saw a lady doctor – she may be able to help me. That’s why we need your permission for Shin-nee to take me to one of the hospitals you own and have an appointment – get examined and have someone help me have my period before the next full moon. Isn’t it simple?” She tells this to him with her hands holding his face. She was well aware of his cautious nature – she wanted to convey her sincerity. “Can I? Please.”

His innate responsibility for his mate’s well-being came to the fore. Having lived 550 years made him feel distrustful of any medical practitioner other than Jungshin.  And like Jungshin he wanted Joohyun’s body to recover – naturally without any medical help. But like her he wanted their conversion ceremony as soon as possible.

“Alright you can tell Jungshin to set up an appointment with a female doctor of his choice.” Yonghwa replies.

Joohyun’s smile was radiant as she kisses his lips and cheeks. “Thank you Yong!”

Yonghwa enjoys the light feathering kisses on his face and the tight hug that followed. He had an indulgent smile on his face and he found pleasure in looking at the sparkling eyes, the smiling lips and pink cheeks of his lovely still-human mate.

“I will call him.” Joohyun reaches for her mobile. Nowadays her phone list had expanded to include the numbers of Yonghwa’s children. She also had video calls with Ommonim on an almost daily basis. She finally belonged and for that Joohyun was always happy.

“Shin-nee! Yong said I can have an appointment with an OB GYN of your choice. Please set it up for me! Thank you so much.” Joohyun was still smiling when she closes her mobile.

Once again she embraces Yonghwa and kisses his cheek.

“How about taking a nap?” He looks at her. He still had 3 teleconferences to attend downstairs.

“Can I not be 6 anymore? You always make me take naps after meals!” Joohyun pouts and rolls her eyes. “It’s so that I don’t interrupt your work isn’t it?”

“Oh-ho what a see-saw personality you have! One minute I am the best ever then I’m scowled at and accused of negligence.” Yonghwa shakes his head and folds his arms.

“Did I say that?” She scowls and folds her arms like him. “All I said was I don’t want to take a nap.”

“Joohyunah…” He sighs.

“Don’t take that tone with me – I’m not 6!” She snaps at him.

“You’re behaving like you’re 6!” Yonghwa turns and leans to kiss her.

“Yong!” She whines. “Can I not have nap? Please.”

“Don’t push your luck – I already agreed to one of your requests.” He tells her. “Rest. Take a nap.”

“No!” She stands and sits on the arm chair. “You can’t make me.”

“Believe me when I say I can make you.” He stands up and bends to carry her to the room.

Joohyun refuses to look at him as he tucks her in. He was immovable about silly things like sleep and food. While she understood the compulsion it didn’t mean that she liked it.

“Joohyunah – look at me.” He sits on the bed. When she refuses to turn her face, he tenderly puts his hands on her face and makes her look at him. “I want you to sleep as often as you for as long as you still can. When you become a vampire – sleep will be a luxury to you. Vampires almost never sleep – we sleep only when we are grievously wounded.”

“You could have explained it earlier.” She mutters. Looking at his beautiful face Joohyun felt embarrassed about acting like a brat about sleeping. “I would have understood.”

“I’m not used to explaining myself.” He replies. “I’m used to being followed. Without question.”

Joohyun closes her eyes and sighs. He was 550 years old and really set on his ways. She knew how difficult it must have been for him going against his nature and having a relationship with her. “If you would explain things to me then I would try my best to understand.”

“So will you take a nap?” He leans his face closer to hers.

“I said I would try to understand. That doesn’t mean I will follow.” Joohyun blinks. “Don’t put on your vampire wiles….” She moves and sits up. “I will read a book or a magazine. You can go work. I’m fine here by myself.”

“Are you sure?” Yonghwa stands up and looks down at her.  Joohyun’s face was flushed and she refuses to look at him.

“I am sure and don’t send Yoona Unnie down to accompany me. I’m not sick anymore I don’t need babysitting.” She gives him a swift look and turns her eyes away.

“Alright. I’ll get going then.” He replies and leaves the room.

When Yonghwa leaves Joohyun throws the two pillows at the door. “Mean old vampire! Didn’t even kiss me goodbye!”

She gets her book and spends 5 minutes looking at the same page. She stands up and goes to the living room to watch TV – even the afternoon dramas could not entertain her. Sighing once again she goes and takes out her piano sheets. Riffling thru the sheets she pulls out 5 pieces that were long and hard to play.

“Might as well challenge myself.” She mutters as she sits down on the piano stool. She starts with Chopin Opus 66 Fantaisie Impromptu. Her hands fly across the keys – the piece was winding and by the time she finishes it her wrists ached.

She moves her shoulders and wrings her hands. Another Chopin piece – Valse 64 No. 1 – a favorite of hers even if it was difficult. When she finishes her brow was sweating and she hastily goes to the bathroom to get a small towel.

“Something newer.” She whispers to herself as she starts to play Song 91 Watchtower JW but she got bored and switched over to Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 the intricate movements making her smile. Her body moves in time with the music as the piece accelerates and she laughs softly as the piece ends.

“I really love old things.” She giggles as she segues to Flight of the Bumble Bee. “Last piece.” She pants. Her hands and wrists hurt but she was determined to finish the piece.

“Hah!” She closes the piano and leans her head against her arms.  Playing the piano always made her feel better. Counting the breaks Joohyun played for 2 hours.

“Well that’s better than a nap.” She goes and drinks an entire bottle of Fellico water by herself as a treat.

She gets her book from the bedroom and settles down to read on the arm chair. She was in a better frame of mind if very tired. She as asleep in under five minutes.

When Yonghwa gets back from his meeting he was surprised that the ancient doors would not open for him.

“Did the Agassi go out?” Yonghwa asks the armed guards.

“Aniy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter