Monster - Part Two

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa felt he was dying all over again. Shredding his body to pieces. He was being into a dark void and it was killing him.

But more than that – much more than that was the pain he felt in chest. Joohyun’s words hurt much more than what he was going thru.

She told him to leave her – and it felt like she was sentencing him to death.

But he had planned that.

He wanted her to hate him and make him leave.

But wanting and feeling were 2 different things.

Just as he felt like he couldn’t bear the pain anymore he was thrown against a wall.

Yonghwa felt the room was spinning and he couldn’t stand up. He tries to crawl – on his hands and knees – to reach the wall so he could stand up.

Then he feels arms around him lifting him up.

“Nauri.”

Yonghwa eyelids move and he opens his eyes with difficulty.

“Nauri.”

He tries to answer but no words could come out of his mouth.

 “Nauri.” It was another voice. Feminine.

“Leave us.” The male voice said.

“But Nauri…” The female voice protested.

“LEAVE! NOW!” This time the male voice shouted.

Yonghwa closes his eyes and lets the darkness overtake him.

He wakes up after 2 days – his hands and feet bound in chains – not just ordinary chains – but binding chains with a powerful prayer – he would be unable to leave the room he was in.

The door opens and a woman dressed in a beautiful kimono enters. Her soft white hands hold a tray bearing a bowl of dark red liquid. Her movements were graceful and quiet. She places the tray on the low wooden table and sits on the pillow – gracefully tucking her white stockinged feet under her.

“Please Daimyo – drink.” Her voice was soft and melodious.

He wanted to refuse but he felt the chains tighten viciously. The pain was intense. He sits himself down and looks at her. Holding the bowl in his hands – Yonghwa drinks the warmed blood not stopping until the last drop. He feels the chains loosen – just enough for his wrists to move.

“Arigatou gozaimazu.” He bows and looks at her.

His Maker. Ueno Juri – the most famous geisha of her time. Her beauty was even more enhanced by being a vampire. She was 700 years old and did not look a day over 22 years.

“I’m sorry about the chains.” Her eyes were downcast. “But you are a danger to yourself right now.”

 “You should not have snatched me from the void.” He stands and turns his back to her.

“Daimyo –I know you better than yourself – you failed on purpose.” Her eyes never left the floor and her voice was still soft. But there was steel in her tone.

“You do not know me – you are my Maker but you do not know me.” He tried to keep his voice civil. The woman was the closest thing to a mother for him in 550 years. “I want to end it.”

“You cannot end it.” She looks up and her eyes flash before she looks down on the floor again. “You know the consequences yet you do this. This your fate Daimyo and it is also Joo-.”

“Do not even speak her name. I forbid you.” Yonghwa turns and takes the bowl – smashing it against the wall. “This is not her fate.”

“I will take my leave now – you are being unreasonable again.” She stands up and takes the tray.

 “Okasama.” Yonghwa sighs. “Let me be.”

“I cannot.” She bows deeply. ”Daimyo – you will only be fed one bowl every 7 days until you agree to do what the council is asking of you. It will be painful and I do not want this for you. I who have stood as your mother for hundreds of years cannot protect you this time. This is your fate and her fate – you must do this.”

“I cannot turn her – she has a life to live – she deserves to finish school, meet a man, get married, have children, grow old and die. I cannot deprive her of this.” His chest hurt so much – it was a curse that vampires could not cry.

“This is not her destiny. From the day she was born the darkness waited for her. She is the last of a line of powerful shamans.  Though unschooled in her talent nevertheless it lies dormant in her body.  When she turns 25 and remains a , the darkness will possess her – and the dead will walk the earth. Mankind will be no more and we will be no more because there will be no living blood to sustain us. Do you want this?” Ueno Juri knelt once more, her face was as close to floor as she could get, her hands were spread out in supplication. “Please, as your mother I beg you to reconsider.”

“Okasama – how could you ask this of me?” Yonghwa eyes swirl and become red, his fangs come out and his nails become pointed like knives. He was angry – very angry. He picks her up from the floor and his hand closes on . “I could kill you.”

“You call me mother and then you threaten to kill me.  Make up your mind Jung Yonghwa.  Either way, it will not change anything. I can die right now and I can assure you that the next Elder will not be as kind as I am.”   Her face was calm.

His chains did not tighten – she did not use her magic on him. He puts her down and stands as far away from her as he can in that tiny room.

“I will leave you now to think things over.” She calmly picks up the tray and steps out of the room.

Yonghwa lies down on the floor and his mind goes back to the past.

When he met Seo Kang Joon, he was 25 years old. Yonghwa’s accountant – a special breed of humans whose families had served the vampires since the Joseon dynasty.  Like his father, grandfather and great grandfather before him – Kang Joon served Yonghwa.  He took care of Yonghwa’s businesses and in time they became friends. There was something about Seo Kang Joon that attracted Yonghwa’s attention - the man was kind and had a simple honesty that kept Yonghwa’s faith in the goodness of men.

He was present when Seo Kang Joon married a very young Kim Young Ah. She was 18 and he was already 35. An arranged marriage by his parents. Their traditional marriage was the best that Seo Kang Joon could afford despite of Yonghwa’s offer for a grander wedding.

The wedding day was the first time he laid eyes on Kim Young Ah and from the start both of them knew what the other was.

Yonghwa had to admire the young woman – she was remarkably composed about having vampires present in her wedding ceremony. He wished her long life and happiness and she bowed graciously.

“Nauri - I know what you are and you know what I am.” She looks at him. “I see specters, shadows and the darkness receding when you came – yet it waits for me as I am a still. It is my faith to be married to Seo Kang Joon and my fate to have his child. I pray every night that my child be a son so that this curse will end. “

“I will keep your child safe.” Yonghwa bows to her.

“I hope that promise is not given lightly as I will hold you to that promise Nauri.” She murmurs then as if she sensed something, she pales and momentarily sways.  Yonghwa reaches out to steady her.

“Are you alright?” He peers down at her ashen face.

“I am fine Nauri. Please enjoy the party.” She bows and goes to her parents.

Yonghwa watches mother and daughter embrace and for a moment they are bathed in light.  An energy that only supernatural creatures like him could see. Mother and daughter bow to him and he bows in return.

After 2 years of marriage Kang Joon told him that his wife was pregnant.  Yonghwa was happy for his friend.  Every month Yonghwa would ask about the pregnancy and Kang Joon would say that Young Ah was healthy and doing well.

On the day of the child’s birth – Yonghwa receives a telephone call from Kang Joon. His wife was having a hard time giving birth and if Yonghwa could come to the hospital.

If there was one place that he could not abide - it was in a hospital. Yonghwa had to clamp his jaws shut as he entered the maternity hospital. But he felt it as soon as he was near the birthing room – a void shimmering at the end of the floor near the windows – while it receded as he came nearer it did not disappear entirely.

Kang Joon welcomes Yonghwa and gratefully accepts the fruit basket he brought for them.  On the bed he sees a very pale young woman.  The birth had been hard for her and she lost a lot of blood. Yonghwa knew why Seo Kang Joon called him.

“Nauri – I know it is too much to ask but if you could save my wife – our baby is just born and it is pitiful that our daughter not have a mother.” Kang Joon was weeping.

“Hush, Yeobo – do not ask that from Nauri.” The young woman raises her hand.

“Why? He can save you. Our child can grow up with a mother.” Kang Joon holds her hand in his. “Please let Nauri help you.”

“Kang Joon – she is different – if she takes my blood the darkness will possess her and she will die.” Yonghwa tells them. “Or I drain her of all her blood and she will become a vampire – I cannot do that.”

“Yeobo – I am very sorry that I can’t be here for our daughter. My body has always been weak and having our child-“ She starts to tremble and her husband holds her in his arms.

Her life was ebbing away and Yonghwa could only watch.

“Then why did call you Nauri if you don’t want to be saved?” Kand Joon asks his wife.

“He made me a promise on our wedding day – and he has to honor that promise. Yeobo, please call the nurse and bring the baby to me.” Young Ah was holding on to the last of her strength.

For the few minutes they were alone, she and Yonghwa look at each other.

“Nauri – keep my child safe.  She is the last of our line and there is no one to teach her how to use her power. I myself did not learn. She must live.”  Young Ah’s eyes were flooded with tears. “For you.”

“Me?” Yonghwa asks.

“I only know what my mother told me on her death bed. I must entrust my daughter to you. I promised my mother.” Tears run down her pale face.

Just then Kang Joon comes back to the room with the baby. Holding the infant, he tenderly puts her in her mother’s arms.

“She’s so lovely.” Young Ah wipes her tears as she holds her daughter in her arms. “Seo Joohyun – my lovely one. Omma loves you so much.”

The young woman holds her daughter close and starts to murmur words that only Yonghwa could hear. It was an incantation he knew that shamans used to transfer power to another. He saw Young Ah glow and as her lips touch the infant’s forehead the glow became brighter. She was giving all her energy to her daughter – protecting her and keeping her safe.

To Kang Joon it only looked like his wife was kissing their daughter good night – to Yonghwa it was a dying mother giving her final protection to her child. The mark would always show on child’s forehead – for all supernatural creatures to see.

“Yeobo – you can return her to the nursery now. I am tired.” Young Ah gives the child back to Kang Joon.

When they were once again alone – Young Ah calls Yonghwa to come closer.

“Nauri – I am unschooled in being a shaman and I regret it now. The power I leave my daughter is pure and untrained and it will only last for a while – maybe until she is young girl. After that she will have own natural energy – I pray that she will hold on and live as normal a life as she can. Please help her become a normal child. As she grows older the darkness will be attracted to her light and will seek her out – at that time, in the future, I hope you will be there for her.”

“But her father…” Yonghwa murmurs.

“I cannot see into the future as that is not our clan’s gift – I know my husband will do his best but promise me, promise me Nauri – you will be there.” Her hand holds on to his sleeve and her eyes beseeched him.

“I will try my best to help Kang Joon with your daughter.” Yonghwa replies.

The next day, Yonghwa learns that in the early hours of the morning Young Ah dies from hemorrhaging – nothing that the doctors did could save her.

He comforts the grieving Kang Joon and 6 months later calls him to his office.

“Kang Joon – I’ve set aside money for your daughter – to help you with her upbringing. I know you are still grieving for your wife and the money will help your mother take care of the little one.”

Kang Joon murmurs his thanks. These days he could barely look at his child – she was looking more and more like Young Ah every day. His mother told him that the little girl showed interest in playing the piano. He was thankful that his work kept him busy and took him away for business frequently.

Yonghwa, himself was bothered by Kang Joon’s indifference to his own child.  He often called the child’s grandmother to ask about the baby’s progress. The older woman told him that Joohyun was growing well and they both worried about Kang Joon’s indifference.

Five years after Joohyun was born – Kang Joon and his mother met a fatal accident on the highway.  They were on their way home from buying Joohyun her first piano. When Yonghwa got to the hospital, Kang Joon was in the ICU and his mother was pronounced dead on arrival.

Yonghwa gave Kang Joon his blood for the next five days but despite of that, his injuries were massive and after 2 weeks he died from complications.

Yonghwa entrusts his staff to put all of Kang Joon’s affairs in order. All the insurance money and Yonghwa’s money gift to the child were channeled to a convent run by nuns.  He watched from a distance as one of his employees placed the little girl in the hands of the Mother Superior.

The nuns had strict instructions to take care of the child.  Every year, monies would be deposited to the convent’s account to help the nuns take care of not just Joohyun but all the little girls that lived with her.  Yonghwa made sure that all the donations and the monies spent could not be traced to him.

While he never saw her grow up – Yonghwa always made sure that she never lacked for anything. The nuns did not approve of lavish gifts but instead accepted the yearly trips to the amusement park as well as the upkeep of the grand piano that was delivered to the convent as soon as the child came to the convent.

Yonghwa conveniently forgot about her.  As long as the monthly reports came and they were good – he was satisfied. One of his human staff would visit the convent di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter