Monster - Never Mine (Part 5)

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ha Ji-won just stared at the man who came with Atty. Junghoon. From his robes to the top knot on his head - he looked just like the actors in the historical dramas she sometimes glimpsed her Omma watching.

“A pleasant evening  Miss Ha Ji-won.” The handsome man smiles and bows to her.

Perfect English - not even a trace of the accent that she found so charming. Ji Won returns his bow wordlessly.

“I am Lee Joon Gi.”

“You are the one they call the Scholar.” Ji-won said thru stiff lips. The vampire who would decide how long she would live.

He nods his head. “Would you like us to converse in English or Korean? Which would be more comfortable for you?”

“Either one is fine. Where is Nauri?”

“He has declined the invitation tonight. However - with your permission Atty. Junghoon and I have invited another visitor via  video teleconference.”

Ji-won nods her head. She felt very much alone - Atty. Junghoon hardly talked to her except to ask questions - he was always professional. Lee Joon - the one they called Daegam had a stern countenance and always deferred to Nauri.

Jung Yonghwa, Lee Jungshin, Kang Minhyuk, Seo Joohyun, Im Yoona.  She wished that at least one of them was with her now. She felt her heartbeat once again accelerate. She must remain calm.

“Seonsaengnim if I may come in.” Jungshin steps into the room. “I have to keep an eye on the monitor.”

“I understand.” The Scholar nods. He was very much aware that Nauri’s Child was trying to prolong the young woman’s life so that he could talk to her. He was also quick to notice how the woman visibly relaxed when Jungshin stepped into the room.

“I ask a favor...”

“You don’t need to ask -  I would have done it even if you didn't ask.”

“Nauri might  get angry with you.”

“Ara.”

“Shinee-yah.”

“I have to go Hyukah - Seonsaengnim just arrived.”

“Kamsahamnida dongsaeng.”

“Uhm.”

Ji-won felt her entire body relax.  She leans back and looks at the Scholar. “Are there any more questions I need to answer?”

“Miss Ha Ji-won is here to answer any questions you may still have, Head Elder.”  Lee Joon Gi asks the question in Mandarin and looks at the laptop.

Ji-won repeats her question - this time in Mandarin.

“Let me see her.” Viktor tells Joon Gi.

Separated by 866 kilometers, one in Shanghai the other in Seoul - Ji-won and Viktor Huang look at each other.

Ji-won sees a handsome Chinese man in a business suit with the windows  showing the night sky.

Viktor sees a woman dressed in a hospital gown with a monitor beeping in the background. She looked frail and thin but that did not detract from the delicate bone structure and the pink flushed cheeks. Ha Ji-won was sick yet she still managed to look  pretty despite her very steely gaze. Formidable was the word that came to Viktor’s mind.

For the next  hour Viktor Huang, the Scholar and Ha Ji-won spoke in Mandarin. She answered their questions as precisely as she could - holding on to her temper because she was basically repeating everything she told Jung Yonghwa and Atty. Junghoon days before.

“Calm.” Jungshin looks at her.

“There is nothing that I’ve told you that I did not say previously to Nauri and Atty. Junghoon. As you can see, I need to catch my breath. Were you expecting that I would change my story because I am getting tired?”

“That was not our intention Miss Ha Ji-won.” Viktor looks at her.

Ji-won gives a very unladylike snort and  leans back on her bed. “In my past line of work - interrogation was my speciality - believe me when I tell you that I’ve already said all that there is to say, everything that I did and all my intentions. There is nothing more I can add.”

The monitor starts beeping.

“Elder Huang, Seonsaengnim, Atty. Junghoon - I will have to ask  -”

“That’s alright Dr. Lee  - don't make them leave. I just need to -” Ji-won takes a deep breath. “I can manage. I’m not dying - at least not tonight.”

“Patient Ha Ji-won!” Jungshin exclaims.

Ji-won just smiles at him before turning to cast a stern look at the other vampires.

“I can’t die - no - I won’t die until you accept my reasons for those killings! Your Vampire Council wants to execute me - fine! Do that! But what about all those who died because of  Dark Angel’s Blood? What about those humans and vampires alike who spread this poison? Like me they must be punished by execution as well!”

Ji-won clutches her chest. It hurt so much. She loses consciousness.

“Everyone leave please!” Jungshin looks at the vampires. “If you want her to live one more day - “

The vampires stand back as the nurses and residents come in with a crash cart. They leave silently.

“Nauri - she has gone into cardiac arrest.” Atty. Junghoon tells Yonghwa over the phone. “The Scholar wants you to come to the hospital. Deh, algesseumnida - I will call Daegam.”

Less than 30 minutes later Yonghwa arrives with Joohyun and Minhyuk.  

“Nauri.” Lee Joon bows.

“Daegam.” Joohyun and Minhyuk bow to Lee Joon.

“Do you have the reports ready Lee Joon ?  I’m sure Seonsaengnim will want to hear both the police reports and your own report.  Elder Huang immediately called me when Miss Ha Ji-won lost consciousness. He will be coming here on his private jet - make sure there are no delays with the airport authorities and arrange the transport.  He wants to personally meet Miss Ha Ji-won.” Yonghwa tells him.

“Huh? But Nauri aren’t you the -”

“Just arrange everything, Lee Joon. I have a massive headache right now.” Yonghwa answers. As soon as Yonghwa said this he starts glowing.

“It was a figure of speech Dear One.” He glances at his Mate as the private elevator closes.

“The Light doesn’t think so -” Joohyun replies and holds the cuff of his coat tightly.  Her Mate had been distracted since the news of the arrival of Lee Joon Gi Seonsaengnim.

“Nauri.” The Scholar and Atty. Junghoon were waiting by the elevator and bow to Yonghwa.

Yonghwa acknowledges their greetings and looks on as his Children bow to their elders. “Has Jungshin come out yet?”

“Not yet Nauri but the humans were instructed by Dr. Lee to leave.” Atty. Junghoon replies.

Just then Jungshin comes out. “Nauri! She is stable but for some reason her temperature is rising. With your permission may I ask Joohyun to come in - the Light….”

Yonghwa’s hand was held tightly and he looks at the eyes of his Mate. Her eyes implore him to agree. He nods his head and watches her hurry inside. Then he looks at Minhyuk and they move to the end of the corridor.

“I can feel your anxiety Child and I’m sure the Scholar and Atty. Junghoon could feel it as well.” Yonghwa looks at Minhyuk. “You did not heed my warning.”

“I apologize Nauri.” Minhyuk eyes were cast down and his hands were clasped tightly behind his back.

“Ka! “ Yonghwa said softly and inclines his head towards the hospital suite.

“Kamsahamnida Nauri.” Minhyuk bows.

Meanwhile inside the room….

As soon as the door closes shards of Light go out of Joohyun and into Ji-won’s body.

“I hope she wakes up.” Joohyun murmurs. “Hyukah! What are you doing here?”

“Nauri said he’ll explain to Seonsaengnim.” Minhyuk  was going to stand near the bed when Joohyun pulls him away.

“Don’t. The Light does not like anyone of standing near Ji-won Unnie when it enters her body. Don’t ask me why - it wouldn’t tell me either...” Joohyun looks at him.

They watch as the monitor starts registering changes in Ji-won’s body.  Her system slowly stabilizes. As soon as her temperature reaches to her normal  100 degrees Fahrenheit Jungshin presses a button so that the report could be recorded.

The Light goes out of the unconscious woman’s body and circles the room.

“Can I?” Jungshin looks at Joohyun.

Joohyun looks at the Light then looks at her sibling. “Uhm - it’s okay to go near her.”

“Ah - that was close one! “ Jungshin remarks after examining Ji-won. He removes his stethoscope and looks at his siblings. “I thought she would really die this time.”

“Shin-nee is that her normal temperature?” Joohyun looks at the monitor.

“Yes - her temperature will always be slightly elevated than normal and because of that she will always have pink cheeks.” Jungshin tells them. “Alright let’s go and let her rest first.”

“I’ll stay here.” Minhyuk replies.

“Wah - are you Kang Minhyuk? Nauri’s most obedient child?” Jungshin smirks.

“Better than you - Nauri’s most disobedient child .” Minhyuk’s eyes flash as he sits on the chair nearest the bed.

“Ah- stop or else Nauri might punish us all! Let’s go Shin-nee-yah. Hyukah look after her.” Joohyun holds up her hands ready for the Light to go back to her.

But the Light just hovers above the hospital bed - softly buzzing.

“Oh, it’s never done that.” Joohyun looks at the Light. “I have to tell Nauri.” She hurries to tell her Mate about the Light’s behaviour.

Minutes later Yonghwa steps into the room with Joohyun, the Scholar, Lee Joon and Atty. Junghoon.

“Hold up your hand again Joohyunah. Make the Light to go back inside you.” Yonghwa tells his Mate.

Joohyun holds both her hands up and whispers the words the Revered One taught her. Other than buzzing louder the Light just undulated over the unconscious woman’s bed.

“Do not go near it  - do not go near her - no matter what happens Child. Heed my words.” Yonghwa looks at Minhyuk. “Better yet let’s all  step outside - everyone.”

“Young One - why do you think the Light is staying with Miss Ha Ji-won?”  The Scholar asks.

“I have no idea Songsaengnim - the Light is wilful…” Joohyun clasps her hands tightly. “Mianhaeyo.”

Yonghwa covers her hands with his own. “The Light is an entity that lives in you Dear One - it has its own reasons. We will find out sooner or later.”

Every 30 minutes Joohyun would go inside and hold up her hands but the Light  only buzzes and continues to hover over the hospital bed.

“The Light senses something we cannot.” Joohyun tells her Mate and the other vampires.

True enough, two hours later Ji-won has another seizure and the Light embeds itself once again inside her body.  The vampires rush in to find her several inches off the bed - the buzzing was so loud that they had to cover their ears. It went on for almost an hour so Jungshin had to go out and give instructions to the medical staff to isolate the hospital wing until further notice.

Then the Light lowers Ji-won’s  body on the bed and after circling the room twice the shards go back inside Joohyun’s  outstretched hands.

“Nauri, Seonsaengnim - Elder Huang’s jet just landed.”  Lee Joon said as he closes his mobile. “They will be here in an hour’s time.”

“Good - Elder Huang needs to see this.” The Scholar replies.

4 hours later….

Ji-won once again feels like she was drowning.  She struggles to regain consciousness her hand unconsciously tightening on the hand that held her hand.

“Ji-won-shi...Ji-won-shi...” A soft gentle voice reaches her ears and her eyelids flutter.

Ji-won opens her eyes and sees Minhyuk’s face looking down at her. She takes in the concerned eyes, belatedly thinking how cold his hand was. When he tries to remove his hand she tightens her hold.

“Ji-won-shi.” Jungshin stands on the opposite side of the bed. “Let me examine you. Do you hurt anywhere?”

She shakes her head. “How long was it this time?”

“ 4 hours.” Jungshin looks at her. “You know the blackouts will become more frequent if you continue to stress yourself out.”

“Ara.” She nods her head. “Please raise the bed. Kamsahamnida for your hand Minhyuk-shi.” She releases his hand and gives him a smile before turning to Jungshin.

“Are they still here?”

“Yes - both Nauri and Elder Huang are also here.” Jungshin tells her. “They can come back -”

“I can meet them. I wouldn’t want to waste Mr. Huang’s trip.” Ji Won’s remark was sarcastic then she looks at Jungshin and Minhyuk. “Mianhae I’ve been told that I have a dreadful personality.”

“Ji-won-shi...” Jungshin’s voice held a warning. “Chaebal...don’t -”

“My time is getting shorter and shorter.” Ji Won looks at the 2 pairs of concerned eyes. “I will talk to Mr. Huang or Elder Huang as you call him and the Scholar but only if Nauri is present.”

Jungshin goes out and tells the vampires of Ji-won’s wishes.

Yonghwa nods his head. “Understandable. She might feel crowded though. Atty. Junghoon you may go.  Lee Joon - I leave it up to your discretion if you wish to stay.”

“I and my guards will stay Nauri - we will Elder Huang and the Scholar after.” Lee Joon bows.

“Very well..” Yonghwa nods. “Hyukah - you should go back to the office and update Eldest about what is happening. Tell him to take over all my appointments today. If there are documents that need my signature just put them aside for now if they are not urgent - if they are urgent have the one of the human guards bring them here. Take the vampire guards with you. Joohyun will stay with me in case the Light is needed. No objections.”

Yonghwa goes inside the room while Joohyun walks with Minhyuk to the elevator. She kept glancing at his profile - his face was expressionless and that worried her.

“I’ll keep in touch Hyukah. Don’t worry.” Joohyun looks at Minhyuk. “I won’t let anything happen to her. You have my word.”

Minhyuk nods and steps into the elevator.  Joohyun knew that he was disappointed that Nauri did not allow him to stay but she understood her Mate - Yonghwa did not want Minhyuk’s interest in Ha Ji-won’s well being to be noticed by the Elders. After sending a quick text to Yoona to check on Minhyuk she hurries back to the suite. As her hand closes on the door handle a quiet voice stops her.

“Nauri did not say you can go in Agassi.” Lee Joon looks at her.

“Ah - deh. Mianhaeyo Daegam. I will wait here.” Joohyun sits on the nearest chair.

Knowing that she was still young and the restlessness would eventually kick in -  Lee Joon steps closer and looks at her. “Your So Min Unnie has been missing you these days. Why don’t you give her a call?”

Joohyun smiles and nods her head.  She presses a number and calls her good friend, So Min.  Lee Joon goes back standing against the wall facing the suite’s door - he had a small smile on his face as he listens to Joohyun and his Mate catch up with each other’s activities.

Inside the suite…..

“My apologies for coming in late, Miss Ha Ji-won.” Yonghwa greets her. “You were introduced earlier to  Mr. Viktor Huang. He is the Head Elder of the Vampire Council.”

“Nauri. Thank you for being here.”  Ji-won smiles at Yonghwa and inclines her head to Viktor. “Mr. Huang - I’ve decided to meet you against my doctor’s advice. I didn’t want to you to waste your trip.”

The effortless change from Korean to Mandarin made Viktor Huang smile. Formidable indeed and with razor sharp intelligence.

“Mr. Huang have you thought about what I said earlier?” Ji-won asks. “I believe it would be called an eye to an eye -”

“Miss Ha Ji-won  - we will dispense justice to all vampires concerned, the Council will convene to discuss this and we will come up with the appropriate disciplinary actions. “

“Forgive me but realistically, I don't think I would be around that long Mr. Huang. This gathering right now is redundant.  All of you know that I will be die soon and yet the Vampire Council wants to execute me as well. Don’t deny it please - you will insult my intelligence if you do.”

“What is it then? Will you execute me? Or will you let me inevitably succumb to the inoperable tumor in my brain? Those are the only 2 options and the end result is the same - death. I will accept your decision either way. I will pay the price for the crimes that I committed. This is something that was already decided when I knowingly used the machete to kill the vampires and humans connected with Dark Angel’s blood. I do not regret my actions.Never.”

Ji-won leans back and closes her eyes, she was suddenly very tired. She strove for calm. Taking  a deep breath she sits up again and looks at the vampires gathered in her room.

“So what it is to be then?” She looks at Viktor.

To their surprise Viktor steps closer to Ji-won and leans to look at her closely. “If you were me what would you choose Miss Ha Ji-won ?”

Any other human would have been very nervous about the nearness of a vampire but Ji-won just gives a small laugh and shakes her head. “Ah - that was a surprise Mr. Huang. Are you seriously asking me that?”

“Yes, I’m seriously asking you that.” Viktor sits at the end of the bed and looks at her. The more than 8 centuries old vampire with a slight smile on his face crosses his arms - waiting for her answer.

How handsome he was Ji-won thought  but she preferred eye smiles more. She smiles right back and crosses her arms as well.

The defensive stance of Viktor and Ji-won were noted by both Yonghwa and the Scholar.

“You’ve probably read up about me. I specialize in drug cartels. The way I took out the human drug dealers and the vampires is a modus operandi that I devised myself based on my experience with the FBI. I waited, studied and watched their movements and habits. I spent money on intel and arms. I initially had the machete sent here so that I can sell it in order to fund this little war I had going on. But the machete was - uhm, you can say - demon sent?  It was the perfect weapon. So if I were you Elder Huang- I would execute Miss Ha Ji-won as soon as possible. Let the Council have their sacrificial lamb.”

On hearing this, Yonghwa had to look away so she wouldn't see his facial expression. The Scholar’s eyes meet Yonghwa’s and they both look away.

Touche. Viktor Huang’s voice echoed in their minds.

“ As for the justice you said you will be meting out to the vampires - I’m sorry to say I don’t believe that- you see- I am a very meticulous person -  I always do my homework. Dark Angel’s blood netted billions of dollars - American dollars. It would be very naive of me to think that other vampires did not profit from the sale and distribution of Dark Angel’s Blood. Legally it would be termed as Gang Affiliation. I don’t know about your world but in Korea it is considered a grievous offense same with China and the US.”

“What if I kill you now?” Viktor looks at her.

“River!”

“Elder Huang!”

“Go ahead. My doctor tells me that the blackouts would occur more frequently now. You probably wouldn’t even blink an eye Mr. Huang. Satisfy the Vampire Council - I give you permission to execute me!”

“Patient Ha Ji-won!”  Jungshin exclaims. “Calm!”

The monitor starts beeping and the door suddenly bursts  open - shards of Light surround the bed - viciously slashing at Viktor’s hands, face and clothes.  Ji-won looks on as the vampire’s hands and face start to bleed with cuts.

“What is happening? Why is there blood?  Shinee-yah…mian…. I got...” Then she suddenly clutches her chest and loses consciousness.

With the speed of the vampire Viktor stands next to Yonghwa and the Scholar.  He was bleeding from the many wounds.

Joohyun rushes to the room with Lee Joon. “What have you done this time?” She looks at the Light.

Her answer was a steadily rising buzz.  Joohyun closes her eyes and holds her temples.

“Joohyunah!” Yonghwa rushes to his Mate. “Dear One! What is wrong?”

Joohyun clutches Yonghwa’s coat. The pain in her head was excruciating. “Yong! Please! It’s so painful!” Images flash in her mind.

Flowers.

Fire.

Ji-won’s face.

Then just as suddenly the pain was gone and even the heat coming from the shards turn cold. Joohyun opens her eyes and holds her Mate tighter. Yonghwa lifts her and puts her on the sofa and sits beside her.

“Dear One...are you hurt?”

Light comes out and surrounds the couple - warm and glowing.  

“Yong - the Light it was showing me images.” Joohyun gasps as the images once again resurface in her mind.

She tells them what she saw - flowers surrounding Ji-won’s face and fire. “The images kept replaying in my mind - making me dizzy.”  Then she glances at Ji-won’s unconscious body with the Light still surrounding the bed then she looks at Viktor.

“Elder Huang!” She scrambles out of Yonghwa’s arms. “My apologies - the Light is wilful - it was just being protective.”  She stands in front of the Head Elder her eyes mirroring her distress as she looks at his still bleeding hands, face and torn clothes.

“Please sit down - I will have the Light close the wounds.” She gently takes his elbow and makes him sit beside Yonghwa on the sofa.

“Please bear with me.” She murmurs as she holds each of Viktor’s hands gently between her own as ribbons of Light cover the wounds.

“With your permission, Elder.” She puts her hands on his cheeks and forehead. Light surrounds him and then goes back to Joohyun.

All the while Viktor had to stop himself from smiling despite of the stinging sensation. His eyes take in the lovely face with the long lashes, red lips and faintly pink cheeks. A face that only showed concern and utmost respect.  The soft gentle hands and the warmth that he felt on his hands, face and body.

“I apologize Elder Huang.” Joohyun stands and bows before offering him the handkerchief from her coat pocket to wipe off the blood.

Even as she apologizes Joohyun took care not to look at Yonghwa.  She knew his eyes were watching her as she administered to Viktor’s wounds. She felt his irritation and her stomach clenches. Her Mate was irritated with her.

“Thank you Joohyun.  Nauri is very fortunate to have you as his Mate.” Viktor nods his head.

“Ah deh.” Joohyun tucks the stray hairs behind her ears - she felt flustered and awkward. “I’ll just -” She goes and looks at the Light shards that were still around Ji-won’s bed.

“Joohyunah - can I?” Jungshin looks at her.

“The Light is cold right now but can I just be the one to go near the monitor? What button to push?” Joohyun asks her sibling - she was afraid that he would be hurt as well and that would lead to more trouble with her Mate.

Following Jungshin’s instructions she manages to get a report on Ji-won’s condition.  The vampires watch as the shards of Light try cling to Joohyun and how she brushes them off showing the Light that she was irritated.  It consolidates and makes Joohyun glow brightly.

“Fascinating.  What is it doing now? “ Viktor asks Yonghwa.

“Apologizing most likely.” Yonghwa replies.  His eyes never left Joohyun. He was intensely irritated with her actions towards Viktor Huang.

Did she really have to touch him?

“It’s amazing that such a powerful entity lives within Joohyun.” Viktor replies, likewise his eyes were also looking at Yonghwa’s Mate.

Joohyun? Why is River calling my Mate by her first name? Twice already!

Lee Joon Gi was an observant being and he knew from the set of Nauri’s jaw that he was displeased with Elder Huang addressing Joohyun by her name instead of Young One or  Lady Jung.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter