Monster - Part Three

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Min Sook hadn’t slept for a week.

A shaman by trade – she was only slightly gifted but she earned what she could.  But for the past week, 3 ghosts have interfered with her sessions. At first it was only a young mother’s ghost who wanted her to relay a message to her daughter. Min Sook ignored her – she had no means to go searching in Seoul in the winter.  Then after 3 nights the young mother’s ghost came with her own mother – who added her pleas with the daughter.  Min Sook had to find the girl on the first day of winter and before the winter solstice. That day Min Sook got 3 readings wrong because the older ghost interfered.  Then Min Sook had locked her store and stayed home reasoning that it was better to lose money than to lose her reputation. But nothing had prepared her for the last ghost’s visit.  It was a shaman’s ghost – and she was fearful to behold – she was the girl’s great grandmother. Everything in Min Sook’s house was thrown to the floor and broken.  The old shaman meant business and she was going to keep on doing it until Min Sook went to find her great granddaughter. No ifs and no buts.

She’d been searching for the girl for 2 days with no success. College student, part time worker in a sundubu-jjigae restaurant, long black hair, pretty – a lot of girls in Seoul were like that except this girl had specters following her, something like a dark void behind her back and she had a light around her.

“It’s so cold!” Min Sook grumbles as she sits down on the bus stop near Myeongdong. She saw the young mother’s ghost across the street. She was waving at Min Sook. Scowling, the shaman crosses the street and follows the ghost.

When Min Sook first saw the dark void her first impulse was to turn back. It was shimmering and hovering at the door of a restaurant. Min Sook felt fear and dread – instinctively she just knew what the void wanted. She sees the door open and a young woman step out. Looking around Min Sook could not see the ghost that led her earlier.

“Strange that she didn’t even want to see her own daughter.” Min Sook mutters. She looks at the young woman that walked just past her. Yes the light shone around her but it was faint.  The void was not far behind her.

You must talk to her.

The old shaman’s voice echoed in Min Sook’s head.

Or else – you’ll never practice again.

Min Sook scowls and follows the young woman from a distance. She got on the same bus and observed that the young woman was lovely but her eyes were sad like she had been crying for a long time. Thin and cold – that was Min Sook’s conclusion. But brave – very brave – when they got off the bus the young woman hardly paid attention to the specters that were on the street nor did she even look behind to void that shimmered just a few paces away from her.

Min Sook waits outside the convenience store that the young woman went into.  From the windows she saw her pick up a few items and pay. As the young woman steps out of the store Min Sook gathers her courage and approaches her.

“Agassi – anyeong.”

The young woman was startled and mutters a polite response and bows.

“Can I bother you with something?” Min Sook put on her most persuasive voice.

The young woman nods. “What can I do for you Ahjumma?”

Taking a deep breath and praying that the young woman wouldn’t think she was crazy Min Sook blurts out, “I have a message from your mother and grandmother.”

 The young woman blinks back at her and steps away.

“No please Agassi – I am a shaman by trade and I’ve been contacted by your mother and grandmother to tell you something.”

“I’m sorry – I can’t help you.” Tears made her eyes blink and she was preparing to run away.

“Agassi – please hear me out – if I don’t tell you their message I can’t ever practice again and I’ll starve.” Min Sook holds on to the young woman’s coat sleeve. She felt the young body tremble and not just from the cold.

“I don’t want to know.” The young woman whispers.

“You must know. Your life depends on it.” Min Sook’s hand closes in on the young woman’s arm.

Then Min Sook felt it – a coldness that was not of this world and a terrible feeling of dread surrounds her. She could not move. The young woman shakes her head and walks away.

By the time Min Sook could move the young woman was long gone.

“Ahjumma! Ahjumma! Are you alright?”  A young man comes up to her.

Min Sook nods her head and hurries away to the direction where the young woman had taken.  She got as far as the street –it was not difficult to miss where the young woman lived – the void was shimmering right outside her door. It was snowing harder so Min Sook decided to go home.

When the old shaman’s ghost visited Min Sook that same night, she put up a fight. She prayed every prayer her own teacher taught her but still the ghost remained.

“I thought I was going to die when I touched her!” Min Sook shouted. “Whatever that thing is that is following her did not allow me to get near! How do you expect me to get your message across?”

The old shaman’s ghost whispered a prayer and told Min Sook to memorize it.

You must say this prayer before you go near her – it will only hold for an hour but that is enough time. You must tell her tomorrow because the day after that is winter solstice. She must know by then. She must.

Min Sook closes her eyes and shudders.  Winter solstice – the time when darkness is longer than light. A day of magic. Min Sook covers herself with 2 blankets but she still felt cold, before she closes her eyes she remembers that young woman’s face – it was face of complete sadness and despair.

The next day found Min Sook waiting across the street from the bus stop that the young woman got off from last night. This time Min Sook brought her old car. Bathed in the cold winter daylight Min Sook was able to look at the young woman for a longer time.   She had a thin coat on with a thick cardigan underneath, Min Sook felt sorry for her for it was a very cold day.

“Ah – please let’s get it over with Agassi.” Min Sook mutters as she follows the bus that the girl took.

“Uhm – this not the way to her work.” Min Sook follows her to a quiet neighborhood. The young woman goes inside one of the older houses. She parked 2 houses away, avoiding the shimmering void that was in front of the house.

Then she saw it – the void moving further back was if something was pushing it away. The void started to shrink until it was just a circle hovering over the ground. Min Sook got out of her car and heard the music. There were streams of light coming out of the windows of the old house – they were thin and opaque and the void seemed to be avoiding them.

For 2 hours the light and music swirled around the void. When it stopped, Min Sook hurried back inside her car.  After 15 minutes the young woman came out.  She looked better – her face wasn’t was pale as before but what struck Min Sook was the light was stronger around the young woman.

Starting an old car on a cold day was a hard task but Min Sook managed to follow the young woman back to her place of work.

Min Sook manages to exchange a few words with her as the restaurant was busy.

“Agassi – can you please give me your time? Your relatives – they will not give me peace. I cannot work.” Min Sook looks up at the young woman who just served her tofu soup. “I promise to leave you alone after I give you their message.”

“Alright – I leave work at 5 PM – we can talk on the park bench across the restaurant.” The young woman replies.

For the next 4 hours Min Sook sits on the park bench across the restaurant.  She saw the void get gradually bigger – it wasn’t as big as it was yesterday but it was a fair size. People hurried past it and shuddered.  Little children cried for no reason when they walked past it. Min Sook wondered how the young woman could ignore it.

Promptly at 5 young woman comes out of the restaurant and crosses the street to Min Sook. When the young woman sits down next to her, Min Sook closes her eyes and says the prayer that the shaman’s ghost taught her.  When the last word left her lips Min Sook saw the void swirl and pulsate – it could not come any closer.

“Agassi – how could you ignore it?” Min Sook looks at the young woman.

“Ignore what?” The young woman asks. “Oh, the ghosts and sounds. I’ve done that since I was a young girl.”

“No the dark void that follows you around.” Min Sook shakes her head. “The one that’s just on the side of you.”

“That’s nonsense.” The young woman shakes her head.

Min Sook was shocked. This young woman was the granddaughter of a shaman and she didn’t even know how to use peripheral vision.

“You don’t how to use your vision? No one taught you?” Min Sook moves closer and stares at her.

The young woman shakes her head. “I grew up with nuns – I lost my family when I was a very little girl. I don’t know what vision you’re talking about but I think I’m better off without it.”

“Oh but you need to use at least that! If only to know what’s following you!” Min Sook exclaims.

“Ahjumma – I really don’t have the time! I need to be somewhere.”

Min Sook notices that she was holding bags with food containers. “We have an hour Agassi – now lean back and look to your right side without turning your head. Remember, do not move your head just your eye balls – that’s called peripheral vision. Most gifted shamans can see supernatural beings by using this type of vision. By the way what is your name Agassi?”

“Seo Joohyun imnida.” The young woman gives a slight bow and looks at Min Sook. “And your name Ahjumma?”

“Lee Min Sook. Now do as I say.”

Joohyun sighs and looks at the older woman.  She was earnest and Joohyun couldn’t be rude – it was just not her personality. When she was young, Joohyun learned to use peripheral vision by accident but she’d avoided doing it – the specters only became clearer and she got even more scared.

She felt the shaman’s warm hand close over her own. “Do it child – for your safety.”

Taking a deep breath Joohyun holds still and only let’s her eyeballs move. Then she sees it and grabs the shaman’s hand.

“Do not be scared child. Now look again and tell me what you see.”

Joohyun could barely made the words out. She’d seen this – when she was very young. “It’s like a hole –a dark hole. It’s just there above the ground. And –“She tightens her hold on the shaman’s hand and starts to tremble.

Min Sook moves closer. “And what child?”

“It looks like a claw or a hand – a forearm.” Joohyun’s lips were pale.

“Look ahead – enough.” Min Sook holds the young woman’s chin and turns her face. “That follows you around. And maybe that is why your mother and grandmother told me to find you.” Min Sook looks at her watch – she had 20 minutes left.

“What is their message?” Joohyun’s eyes blinks back tears. Maybe that was why Yonghwa said they could never be – because of the thing that was following her. Her heart ached again.

“Agassi – you’re trembling! Mianeyo – I didn’t mean to scare you. Now I have to tell you their message.” Min Sook felt sorry for the young woman. “They said to choose the darkness that will take care of your light.”

“What? I don’t understand. Isn’t that thing – darkness? Why would my mother make me choose that?” Joohyun’s tears fall.

“I can’t tell you what they mean by the message but I don’t believe that they would let you choose that.” Min Sook rubs the young woman’s hands. They were so cold and she was so pale and trembling.

“Now – do you need to go somewhere? I have an old car I can take you.” Min Sook pulls the young woman up. “We have 5 minutes before that thing moves again to follow you.”

“I have to deliver this food to the nuns – I do it every year. I can just take the bus.” Joohyun picks up the bags. She takes a deep breath to calm herself. She must go on with her life and she would think about her mother’s message tonight.

“Let me take you. My car’s old but at least it’s warm.” Min Sook holds Joohyun’s elbow. “Let’s go.”

They were on their way to the nuns when Johyun asks, “Is it there Ahjumma?”

Min Sook shakes her head. “Have you ignored it since you were a child?”

Joohyun nods. “So I wouldn’t be scared. I ignored it so that no one would think that I was strange. Maybe that’s why he –“

“He? Who is he? Do you have a boyfriend?” Min Sook glances at her. The young woman had an ethereal kind of beauty.  Slim like a willow, very pale skin and long dark brown hair. “You’re pretty – if only you smiled more.”

This brought a small smile on Joohyun’s lips. It seemed like a long time ago when someone told her she was pretty.  But he was gone now.

“So - boyfriend?” Min Sook asks again.

“No – no boyfriend. Never had one.” Joohyun looks out the window. “I’m too strange.”

“Just like me.” Min Sook nods.

When they reach the nunnery – Min Sook helps Joohyun bring in the bags.

They were welcomed warmly by the Mother Superior and were invited for tea. Min Sook watches as young girls surround Joohyun.  The young woman looked genuinely happy being in this place.

“Unnie – can you play for us? Even just one?” A young teen holds Joohyun’s hand. “The piano is waiting.”

Joohyun smiles and goes to the piano. Without further ado, she starts to play and Min Sook sees the light come out the same time as the music.

“Mrs. Lee – thank you so much for bringing Joohyun here.” The Mother Superior sits down next to Min Sook.

“Oh, well – I offered to bring her.” Min Sook nods. “Was Joohyun raised here?”

“Yes, she was.  That piano came on the day she came here. When her father died – the social worker came and told us that Joohyun would be staying here – her boarding and school fees were taken cared of with what we presume to be a trust fund left for by her father.  Until she was 20 the monies came to the nunnery. Joohyun’s such a good girl – was never a bother except –“

“Except she sees things other people can’t.” Min Sook looks at the nun.

“Yes, but she got over it. And we’re proud of her.”  The Mother Superior stands up and claps along with the other nuns as Joohyun finishes her piece.

Min Sook keeps silent. Joohyun was naturally gifted – it was in her blood - a shaman’s great granddaughter.

They were quiet on their way back home. Min Sook didn’t want to ask any more questions – Joohyun looked sad but Min Sook could see the light was stronger.

Min Sook insisted on walking Joohyun to her home. While she feared for herself she feared for Joohyun more.  The shimmering void wasn’t very far away from them.

“Ahjumma – will you be alright? You need not walk me home.” Joohyun tells her.

“Don’t worry child – I might not be as strong as your great grandmother but I can hold my own even for a bit. I’ll just see you home.”

“Then I won’t see you anymore Ahjumma?” Joohyun looks at Min Sook.

“No child – I’ve done what your relatives wanted. I told you their message – now try and think of what they meant by it.” Min Sook and Joohyun stand in front of her house.

“Go inside and get warm – it’s a cold day.” Min Sook smiles at Joohyun.

“Good bye Ahjumma – thank you for your message.” Joohyun nods.

Min Sook waits until the door closes. Then holding her hands up, she whispers a prayer for the young woman inside.

Then she feels the dreadful cold behind her.  Min Sook struggles with her panic. She had to have a clear head in order for her to walk away still alive. Muttering another prayer Min Sook turns to see a gaping void in front of her.

“Step away Ahjumma –back away slowly.” A voice calls out.

Min Sook takes 3 steps backward and feels a hand on her elbow.

“Never face it head on Ahjumma – or else all your fears will come to take you.” The voice next to her whispers in her ear.

Min Sook felt the coldness in his breath and her heart accelerates.

“Your heart is jumping out of your chest. Don’t worry Ahjumma – I won’t hurt you.”

Min Sook turns to see a young man dressed in black leather. His head was wet with the snow. His face was pale and his lips dark red.  His handsome face showed only politeness and respect.

“Now I will walk you back to your car.” He holds her elbow as they walk thru the narrow street.

Min Sook was at a loss for words. This young man had the same coldness as the void. But he helped her and was now taking her back to her car.

“Who are you?” Min Sook asks.

“A friend of Joohyun’s.” He smiles at her. His face was beautiful even more under the street lamp’s light.

“Really? She never mentioned –“Min Sook couldn’t take her eyes away from his face.

“Ahjumma – can you tell me why you were with Joohyun?” He smiles and leans closer.

Min Sook found herself telling him what happened from the beginning – she could not stop herself even if she wanted to – looking at his eyes made her want to tell him.

“And that was their message?”

“To choose that darkness that will take care of her light. Joohyun didn’t seem to understand and neither did I. I told her to think about it.”

“And what was the prayer you were saying when she closed her door?”

“Oh, it’s just a simple prayer – one to help her clear her mind and sleep.  The poor girl looks very sad and so thin I was afraid the wind would blow her away. And I helped her see the void today –“

Min Sook felt his hand close over her arm and his face lean even closer to her own. “She saw it? You taught her to?”

“Young man!” Min Sook tried to shake his hand off her arm. “She knew how to do it – it’s natural for her – it’s in her blood – it’s just that she was avoiding it because she said it made things look clearer and made her even more scared. But she had to see what that thing was – if only for her safety.”

“What did she say it was?”

“Exactly what I saw – a shimmering void and a clawed hand reaching out – as if it was reaching out for her!” Min Sook shuddered. “The poor girl – she was so scared – but I just had to help her - she had to know!”

The young man lets go of Min Sook and looks at the sky.  She felt anger radiating out from him and he stuffs his hands inside his leather jacket.

“You are very concerned for her, young man.” Min Sook opens her car. “If you should talk to her – remind her that she must figure out what the message meant. It will be the winter solstice tomorrow night and she must know what the message means.”

“I will Ahju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter