Monster - Part 12 (Sometimes the Way to a 1,000 years has bumps : Part 3)

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You look disappointed Nauri.” Lovely eyes look at Yonghwa.

“Aniyo why would I be disappointed Deputy Jung.” Yonghwa motions the Council Deputy to take a seat.

“As I mentioned to the Lady – Lee Seonsangnim is detained in Austria and will be here as soon as he can.” Deputy Jung looks at Yonghwa.

They were in his office with Ueno Juri and Jonghyun. The Council told Ueno Juri that they would send the Council’s Representative to look into the matter of Lee Yoojin’s attack on Yonghwa’s family and Lee Soohyuk’s involvement in the plot.

“If the Council thinks that I called for justice and it would not carried out soon….” Ueno Juri’s tone was angry.

“Lady, the Council is well aware of your request but you must understand – you are asking for an entire family to be slaughtered. Master Baek Jung Won’s family has older roots than Nauri’s and as such requires careful consideration.”  The vampire known as Jung Hyesung looks at them.

Exquisitely dressed in Christian Dior, the 300 year old vampire was poised and chic.  She was a lawyer by profession and her Maker – Lee Joongi was Korea’s Official Representative to the Council. They were stationed in Paris.

“Oh, you mean as old as your family then.”Jonghyun remarks. Lee Jongi’s family was the oldest in Korea he was as old as Ueno Juri and was mated to Lee Yoobi. They were scholars and had controlling shares in many universities in Korea, Asia, Europe and the US.

“Lee Jonghyun.” The Lady looks at him. “Apologize at once.”

Jonghyun apologizes but didn’t look repentant at all. They had all been very busy cleaning up the gore that was the aftermath of Lee Yoojin’s attack. And since Minhyuk was still healing – Jonghyun had to take on the task of managing all the business with Nauri. Jungshin was also busy as he was dealing with taking care of Joohyun, Yoona and Minhyuk as well as informing the families of the dead guards and Secretary Hong. Nauri had given 500 million won to each of the families of the guards as well as tuition for their children.  Although Jonghyun vehemently objected - Yonghwa had given the same amount to Secretary Hong’s family.

“You may leave Jonghyun – go and see to Yoona and Minhyuk.” Yonghwa dismisses his Eldest.

“Please understand my grandchild – his mate and my other grandchild Minhyuk were brutally attacked by Lee Yoojin and he is naturally worried about them.” Ueno Juri replies as soon as Jonghyun leaves Yonghwa’s office.

“Deputy Jung – I will not apologize for my children’s remarks. What happened has put my house in turmoil not to mention the business losses because we have to prioritize fixing our house affairs first before making money. That is probably something that the Council can understand.” Yonghwa looks at the Council's representative.

“Musuko! You are not helping!” The Lady scowls at her Child.

“That is quite alright my Lady – I understand their anger and resentment. But let me assure Nauri and yourself – Lee Seongsangnim has given me strict instructions in handling this issue.”  Hyesung looks at Ueno Juri.

She didn’t want to look at Yonghwa. The Head of the Jung Family was the reason why she had not taken a life mate yet. 10 years was not long enough for her to let go of her feelings for him. He was the one who moved on – he was taking a mate - one that the Council and his Maker wanted him to. A unique human female who was cursed to be followed by the Void. Truth to tell, she didn’t want to take on the assignment but Seonsangnim insisted and as his Child Hyesung could not refuse.

“By Council protocol I will need to interview all the parties that are still alive. The conversations would be videotaped so that Seonsangnim can review them when he arrives.” Hyesung adds.

“And when is your Maker arriving?” Yonghwa asks. He notices that Hyesung was not even looking at him after her initial greeting. He could very well understand – they had a 5 year affair before ending it 10 years ago. It had been a mutual decision.

“We will also be interviewing Miss Seo Joohyun.” Hyesung finally looks Yonghwa. That handsome cold face that wasn’t always so cold when they had their affair. He was a magnificent lover and that was probably the reason why every other male her Maker introduced her to had not measured up.

“Absolutely not.” Was Yonghwa’s answer.

“Please do not make me call the Council and have them issue an edict for you.” Hyesung’s response was sharp – her legal training coming to the fore. “She is the reason for the attack and her so called light killed Lee Yoojin and 8 of her children.”

She didn’t mention how the manifestation of the human’s power had the Council seriously concerned.  Her Maker on the other hand had laughed loudly when he read the report and told her that the old bastards were cowering in their seats over a wisp of a girl.

“Her power – the light that manifests from her music is raw and uncontrolled. Even she cannot control it – when it perceives that Joohyun is hurt or in danger it will attack anything and everything near her. As someone who feels the light everyday it is something I would not advise you to do.” Yonghwa tells her.

“Seongsangnim and I will interview her with or without your permission, Nauri. I will have a preliminary talk with her in order to get her permission – would that be fair for you?” Hyesung asks. She was irritated that he didn’t want to her to talk to his soon-to-be mate.

“At your peril.” Yonghwa sighs. “And your Maker’s.”

“So the order of business would be this.  Lee Soohyuk has already been notified of my visit. After that I will talk to Im Yoona and Kang Minhyuk and lastly Seo Joohyun.” Hyesung stands up. “The sun is setting – I want to be in Lee Soohyuk’s building as soon as possible.”

“Where will you be staying in the interim, Deputy Jung?” Ueno Juri asks.

“I cannot disclose that my Lady.” The beautiful attorney smiles. “Seonsangnim will be making the rounds and touching base with the other families after we conclude this case. Hopefully by that time I can disclose our residence.” Hyesung bows.

“I do hope we can meet again Deputy Jung. I need not remind you that my Child will be having the conversion ceremony with Joohyun as soon as this is over. So please tell your Maker that we want the case closed as fast as possible.” Ueno Juri looks at her Child’s past lover.

Of course she knew of their affair, she told Yonghwa to end it. In their world, when children of other Makers desire to become life mates the permission of both Makers were needed. To her credit Hyesung never raised the subject of becoming life mates at least not to Ueno Juri’s knowledge. Yonghwa had a destiny to fulfill – one that haunted her visons since the day Joohyun’s mother died. Unknown to Yonghwa, she too looked after Joohyun as she grew up.  She let Yonghwa have his affairs – he was after all a male with natural desires, but she would never give her permission to become life mates with anyone other than Joohyun.  At first because it was his destiny but now, having known her – Ueno Juri could not imagine anyone loving her Child more than Seo Joohyun.

“Was that really necessary Okasama?” Yonghwa asks as soon as he came back from escorting Hyesung to her Mercedes Benz.

“Yes it was. It’s good that she knows clearly what is at stake here.” Ueno Juri stands up and looks at her Child. “Your life with Joohyun.”   

“Your tea Madame.” One of the secretaries comes in with a fresh pot of tea.

“I see Deputy Jung didn’t even drink her tea. She’s as snobby as her Master.” Ueno Juri pours tea and drinks it. “Bah! Teach her how to make tea! Secretary Hong might have been a traitor but at least she made good tea.”

“Okasama! She’s not snobbish.” Yonghwa replies.

“Don’t you dare defend Jung Hyesung to me, Child!” Ueno Juri’s eyes flash.

“I wasn’t!” Yonghwa snaps and sits on his chair.

Truthfully his mind was in chaos lately. Ever since the attack, Joohyun had been distant. He would catch her staring into space and she’d taken into putting on makeup in an attempt to hide the haggardness of her face. She helped Jungshin take care of Yoona and Minhyuk – breaking down in tears the first time she saw them. She had no appetite and only played the piano because he forced her to.

“There’s no talking to you lately!” His Maker snaps. “I’ll be going up to see Joohyunah and Sensei.”

“Have you been well? Yonghwa asks Hyesung when they were in the elevator.

“You mean have I heard that you were taking a mate? Yes I heard – it’s in the Council minutes of meeting. You finally agreed.” Hyesung looks at him.

“I don’t think it’s safe for you to go and see Lee Soohyuk by yourself.” Yonghwa holds the elevator doors open.

“I believe the days of you caring about what and who I see are long over Nauri.” Hyesung replies quietly. “But thank you for the concern – I will be sufficiently protected by Lee Joon Sunbae – his family has been assigned as our Security.”

“I will always care for you and be thankful for the years we were together.” Yonghwa holds the car door open for her.

“I’m thankful as well and I am very sincere when I say that I congratulate you on taking a mate. I hope she would be worthy of you.” Hyesung looks at him. Her heart was breaking – she was failing miserably – she still had feelings for Jung Yonghwa.

“It’s me who should be worthy of her.” Yonghwa replies.

“One last question – are you taking a mate because the Council and the Lady said you should or are you doing this of your own will?” Hyesung takes a step forward.

In the 5 years they were together she was very much aware that she took the lead in their relationship – making time to see him and to be with him. Jung Yonghwa was aloof and distant even with her.

“Oraboni – tell me the truth.”

Yonghwa looks at Hyesung’s beautiful face. She was the only one that ever came close to being considered as a life mate.  She was the reason that he kept an impersonal eye on Joohyun when she was growing up. Hyesung suited his personality – she kept her distance and was always respectful. While being modern on the outside Hyesung was more of the type of women that Yonghwa was accustomed to. Old world.

“Oraboni. The truth.” She repeats her request softly.

“I am taking her as my mate of my own free will. You know me well enough Hyesung-ah. No one can make do something if I don’t want to.” Yonghwa replies.

Hyesung nods and thanks him for the visit.

As the car pulls away she looks back and sees him walking back towards the elevator. He looked very handsome in his Zegna suit. The beautiful golden eyes looked at her honestly and she told herself that she should be glad that he even answered her. Nauri had always been a law only to himself.

When his Maker leaves Yonghwa sits on his chair and holds his head. If he was capable of having a headache – he would be having a massive one now.

He clicks a button and the curtains open to show Seoul in its night time beauty. His mind going back to his last conversation with Joohyun.

 Last night....

“Tell me about them.” She whispers as he tucks her back to bed.

She’d come out the bedroom and went straight to his desk. As was her way, she sighs before sitting on his lap. Curling up her body and putting her face on his neck. This was the first time that she hadn’t woken up screaming. They were quiet – holding each other for about an hour until Yonghwa tells her that she should sleep some more. She only nods her head, putting her arms around his neck as he lifts her and takes her back to the bedroom.

“About who?” He looks at her.

“Stalling isn’t your style Nauri.” She looks at him. “You know – them.”

Yonghwa wanted to sigh but he knew she would be hurt if he did.

“From the beginning. Do not leave anything out.” Clear honest eyes look at him.

“They’re not important.” He lies down next to her and tucks her hair behind her ears. She was so pale and wan lately. He was very worried about her.

“One of them just tried to kill me – so they’re important. Forewarned is forearmed.” She quips. Her mind and body felt so heavy these days. There were unwelcome thoughts constantly around her and she spent most of her time being occupied with taking care of Yoona in order to keep those thoughts at bay. She could not concentrate reading or watching TV. Playing the piano terrified her.

She had 3 more days before she had to go back to the doctor. Jungshin told her not to stress about her period but she could not help but stress. Her whole life was a roller coaster right now.

Her remark brings a soft smile on his lips. It was a glimmer of the funny, honest woman he adored.  He holds her hand up and kisses her ring.

“My first affair was with a vampire named Michiko. Sensei’s youngest child. He had 3 male children but they are dead now.”

“Where is she now?”

“Dead. Okasama is Sensei’s only remaining child.” He looks at her. “I killed her.”

“Michiko contributed to a lot of the misunderstandings I had with Okasama. After her brothers died, Michiko plotted to take over Sensei’s house – she would kill Okasama and I would kill Sensei. When she told me about it I brushed it aside – I was getting tired of her constantly being jealous of the attention that Sensei gave Okasama. One night, when I had sword and archery practice with Sensei – Michiko attacked Okasama. Mimami ran and got us and by the time we got to the place we were staying then Okasama was all bloody. My Maker defended herself but did not change form. Michiko blamed Okasama for the death of their brothers. I killed Michiko with my bare hands – I was still young then so the blood thirst was strong. That was something I cannot allow – even if Okasama and I had a strained relationship at best during those times I could not abide it anyone harming her in anyway.  So now you know why Sensei hates me.”

“Sensei does not hate you. It’s because you’re too much alike that’s why you don’t get along with each other.” Joohyun replies. “So next.”

“Its 3 AM Joohyunah - sleep.” He holds her check. She didn’t have a fever but her cheeks were pink. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Now the next one.”

“The next one has a family name the same as yours – Seo Hyunjin.  Like Michiko it was only a short affair – less than 2 years if I remember correctly.”

“Don’t tell me you killed her too.” Joohyun exclaims.

“No but we were on opposing sides of a vampire war.”

“Then it was the crazy vampire lady that almost killed me? Or not yet?”

“Yes it was Lee Yoojin. We clashed always - her personality and mine. But we were attracted to each other.  Like I told you the affair was on and off. I was too busy building my business – I had Jonghyun to take care of and later Minhyuk and Jungshin. I bought real estate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter