Monster - Part One

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been 8 weeks since she last saw him.

Joohyun always felt him first before she saw him. Looking out into the darkness she sighs and 2 more tears fall from her eyes. Her heart ached ever since that night he left her. He wished her a happy life and told her never to walk alone at night. She was so angry at him back then.

She wanted him back even just to touch her hand but he went away. She stood still long after he was gone.

Today like the same days in the last 8 weeks she dreaded going home to her tiny apartment. Not wanting to be alone.

Her mind raced back….to time she first met him. It was a night during the last days of spring….it was already late….dusk was the first time she felt him.

Her classes always finished late and that day was no exception. Her hands ached as well as her back. It was tiresome work preparing for her final piece. She had to do her very best – it meant a scholarship to Julliard – it meant leaving Korea. For good.

For as long as she could remember Joohyun had always been alone. Truth to tell, she always preferred it that way.  The nuns that managed the boarding school she’d lived in most her life left her pretty much alone. She was a shy but obedient child – preferring her own company than that of other girls.  They’d pretty much given up on her already – for them Joohyun was just a convenient tutor and someone they could trust to look after their things and keep their secrets.

Why?

Because Joohyun was a strange girl. Even she would be the first to admit she was. She saw things other people could not see – felt things other things couldn’t feel – heard things others couldn’t hear. When she tried to talk to the nuns about it all they could do was take her to priests who would only lecture her. In the end even the psychiatrist that they took her to told them that the girl only had a very active imagination – a result of being musically gifted. The nuns sighed with relief and left it at that.

So Joohyun kept to herself. She learned to walk past specters that lingered in the night – become indifferent hearing relentless crying in empty places – become brave when she felt all the hairs in her arms rise.

That night was no different. She’d felt a presence for the last 5 days.  Just far enough. Watching her walk from the university building to the bus stop. It was fairly long walk – but she wasn’t bothered by that. She had mace and a pocket knife plus she could run fast.

The presence was different. It wasn’t a specter - it was altogether something different from the usual strange things she was accustomed to. But that day Joohyun had no patience – she was having a bad time with her presentation piece and her professor wasn’t helping either.

“Come out!” Joohyun stopped and looked to the dark trees. “I’m tired of this! I can’t help you!”

Silence and only the rustling of the leaves and the steady darkness answered her.

She takes a deep breath and exhaled. “Come out – this is the last time I will say that.”

“Are you really this brave?” A quiet voice in front of her asked.

She turns around and sees a young man – dressed all in black. In the gathering dusk she could see his pale face and black hair. He looked at her face with a lopsided smile.

Joohyun’s heart raced.  He was different. Very different. The coldness that emanated from his body made her shiver in her light cardigan and short skirt. If she could run right at that moment she would have but looking at his eyes made her stand still.

Almost as if he willed her not to run away.

“You shouldn’t be out walking alone in the dark.” His voice was quiet and raspy.

“And you should not be watching me walk this way for the last five days.” Joohyun snaps right back. She held her bag tighter.

His face registers surprise then he gives a soft laugh. “You noticed.”

“Yes I did.” She replies. She took short breaths in order to make her heart stop racing. Her senses told her to flee but she kept standing there – talking to him.

“You’re different.” His quiet voice was carried by a sudden gust of wind.

“So are you.” She pulls her cardigan closer to herself. It was suddenly very cold.

“You’ll miss your bus.” He steps aside.

Joohyun didn’t know how she managed to make her legs run – but run she did - very fast and caught the bus right as it was pulling away.

Taking the very back seat she looks back and sees him standing by the bus stop. She gulps and puts her arms around herself. She’d been scared many times since she was child – frightful, awful visions that she put out of her mind thru her music. But his face lingered in her mind even as she went to sleep that night.

She was late for school the next day – the restaurant manager requested her to stay just for 20 minutes more as one of her co-workers was late. Joohyun obliged and this was it got her – chasing after buses and her professor grunting when she tried to explain. But she made up for it with beautiful heart breaking music that made her professor clap his hands.  He assured her that she would get the scholarship for sure.

Walking home she slowed down past the cluster of trees. She knew he was there. “Why are you still here?”

“It’s a free country.” He walks out of the trees and stands next to her.

“Stalking is against the law.” She frowns.

“Is it?” He chuckles and stands next to her. He saw her shiver and stands a few paces back. “Aren’t you scared of me?”

“I am.” She swallows and nods her head. “What do you want from me?”

He looks at his shoes then up to the darkening sky. “I’ll just walk you to the bus stop – I’ll won’t go near you.”

“Why?” Joohyun asks.  She starts walking and he follows – he puts a wide space between them.

They walk in silence. Joohyun could feel her heart beat and glances at him.

He was staring straight ahead, his hands inside his leather jacket. She could hear her sneakers hit the pavement but she heard nothing from him at all. It was if he glided instead of walking but she definitely saw his leather shoes make contact with the pavement.

They reach the bus stop and when her bus came he just made a bow and waited until she got in. As the bus pulled away she looks out the window – he was still standing there and he gave her another bow.

Joohyun smirks and tosses her hair. “You’d think he was old!”

They stayed that way for 2 weeks until Joohyun couldn’t take it anymore.  That day she took another way to her bus. She looks around and doesn’t see any one. Oddly enough she felt disappointed. She pulls her cardigan closer to her body.

“Are you avoiding me?” A quiet voice spoke just behind her ear.

An ordinary person would have jumped up but Joohyun wasn’t ordinary – true her heart beats roared in her ears but she would never give him the opportunity to see her at a disadvantage.

“It’s obvious isn’t it?” She glares at him.

“Yet your heart is racing.” He steps back and gazes at her.

In the lamplight she could see that his eyes were golden brown. Coupled with his pale skin, dark hair and red lips – he gave an aura of such coldness that she shivered unconsciously.

“What are you?” Joohyun’s voice was soft.

“You know what I am.” He answers just as softly. “You just don’t want to say it.”

“What do you want from me?” Her eyes blink back tears.

“You fascinate me.” He looks into her eyes.

Joohyun blinks and looks away. “Is that what the cat said before it ate the mouse?” She was angry that her legs could not move.

“I guess.” He gives a soft laugh.

“If you don’t tell me what you want I will walk away.” She summons the last of her courage and once again glares at him.

“You don’t need to impress me with your bravery – I’ve seen it for 2 weeks. Not any one could stand walking with someone like me for 2 weeks.” He smiles his lopsided smile. His teeth gleamed white in the lamp light.

“Look here –“Joohyun stops – she didn’t even know his name.

“Ah – where are my manners? Jung Yonghwa imnida.” He gives another old fashioned bow.

“Jung Yonghwa-ssi, chaebal – you need to tell me what you want from me!” Joohyun steps back. She was trembling with fear.

“I won’t hurt you – don’t be afraid.” He puts out his hand as if to stop her.

Joohyn stares at his hand.  It was pale like his face – a slender hand with tapering fingers. It was probably as cold as his face.

“What do you want from me?” Joohyun’s voice rises.

“Is there anything wrong Agassi? Is this man bothering you?” Both of them turn around to see one of the university’s security guards. He was a big man and he had his night stick out.

“Uhm – no- nothing’s wrong. We were just arguing.” Joohyun was flustered.

Just then the bus came and she grabs the cuff of his jacket. “Our bus is here.” She drags him to the bus and waves at the guard.

She tells the driver that she’s paying for two and motions him to follow her.

“Why did you do that?” He sits next to her but moves away just as quickly.

“I didn’t want him to become your –“Joohyun bit her lower lip. She just couldn’t say it.

“Food?” He looks at her.

Joohyun swallows and looks out the window. Of all the strange things she’s ever seen and heard – he was by far the strangest.

“So you know what I am?” He asks.

Taking a quick look at him she nods and looks quickly away.

“But you still won’t say it?”

She shakes her head. “What do you want from me?” There were only very few people in the bus and she didn’t want to make a scene.

“You’re thinking that I could easily kill all of them? Deh, majayo – hmm- about 5 minutes.” He answers quietly. “Quicker than any of them could post it on the internet.”

“What do you want?” Her lips were trembling and her hands clutched her bag. She blinked back tears.

“Don’t worry I won’t do that. I’m way past that kind of amusement.” He looks at her. “And I have no intention of doing the same to you.”

“If you don’t intent to do that – then what do you want from me?” Joohyun spoke thru clenched teeth.

“Just let me stay beside you for a while – I won’t intrude in your life. You won’t see me until dark – after your school I’ll just take you to your house.”

“But why?” Unknowingly she stomps her foot and the old lady two seats in front of them looks sharply at them.

Joohyun hears him apologize to the old woman – in a soft polite voice.

“Are you normally disrespectful?” He asks. His eyes looked at her with disappointment and Joohyun felt embarassed.

“I’m always polite.” She snaps and looks away. For the rest of the trip she resolutely kept her face turned away from him.

When it was time to get off she stands and walks off – uncaring if he followed her or not. She was fed up with this charade. No matter what he was she didn’t want him playing this game with her. She walks very fast thru the alleyways towards her house.  She didn’t hear him but she knew he was following her.

She stops in front of her small apartment. It was old and it was all she could really afford – with her 2 part time jobs and her schooling.  The insurance money that her dead parents left to the nuns had run out two years ago. These days she got by with just one meal and saving up for rent. Everything else went to her music. No new clothes and no frilly girl things. Just basic clothes and shoes that she treated with care so that they would last longer.

She faces the street – knowing that he would be there. “This is where I live.”

He nods and once again smiles. “You don’t need to invite me in.”

“I never had the intention.” Her nostrils flare before she opens her bag and rummages thru it. “Where are my keys!?”

“As a safety precaution you should always have your keys ready way before you reach home.” He tells her.

“It’s dark and I’m just trying to feel them.” She scowls up at him.

“Here let me.” He pulls her shoulder bag and just like that he hands her a bunch of keys.

Joohyun grabs it from him and walks to her door. When she goes inside she turns – just to check if he was standing outside.

He was. He gives her a bow and motions for her to close the door.

Joohyun closes the door forcibly.  Just to let him know she found him intrusive. After her meager meal of 1 triangle kimbap and weak tea Joohyun stares out of her window. But the alley was empty and quiet. She closes the window and after taking a shower lies down on her bed, her mind trying to find reasons why someone like him would want to stay near her.

Then it became another pattern – he would wait for her near the trees then they would take the bus then walk to her home.

Again, after a week Joohyun started feeling awkward. She stops near the convenience store. “I have to buy food.” She stammers. “You should go.”

“I can go in with you or I can wait for you here.” He tells her.

She just looks at him before heading inside. If she was surprised that she felt him next to her – she didn’t want him to notice it.  She hastily puts 5 kimbap triangles inside the plastic basket and a box of barley tea – her one week food supply.  She would have loved to buy milk but it wasn’t in her budget – she needed to buy pads as she was having her period soon.

She stood for the longest time in front of the shelf containing the pads.  She was embarrassed to pick it up. She’d never shopped with a man before. Then she mentally shook her head – he wasn’t a man.

Even as her cheeks felt warm, she picks up her usual brand, hastily pushing it at the bottom of her basket. She avoids looking at him and could have sworn she hear a soft chuckle.

They were in front of the cashier when Joohyun notices that she was short of money.  “Mian – I’ll just return the box of tea and 2 of the kimbaps.” Her face was hot.

He pulls out a card and puts the items in front of the cashier. “I’ll pay for everything.”

“You don’t need to do this.” She shakes her head and makes to get the items back. But his hand was faster and he held her hand tight. There wasn’t even any pressure but she felt the coldness and couldn’t help but gasp.

The cashier looks at them and processes the transaction. It was a black card – the funds were limitless and for a brief moment he wondered why the man would even buy something from a convenience store when his card could buy a jet plane.

“I would like to have my card back. Please.” The cashier’s reverie was broken by the man’s quiet voice.

“Oh, yes sorry sonnim” The man hands the card back with both hands.

Joohyun had to smirk. The cashier was often brusque and a bit condescending whenever he processed customers including her. To see him looking all flustered and bowing in front of the man next to her made her want to roll her eyes.

Man next to her?

She had to correct herself again.

He wasn’t a man. He used to be one but not anymore.

Joohyun takes the bag and stammers her thanks. As soon as they step out she turns to him and tells him that she would pay him back as soon as she got her salary.

His eyes twinkle and he holds back a smile.  Then he just nods and allows her to walk ahead of him. Silent as always – until they reached her house.

Before she takes her keys out she looks at him.” You must find me pretty boring -seeing you don’t talk so much.”

“You can talk and I will listen.  You can be quiet and I can be quiet as well. Like I told you – you fascinate me.” He looks at her before breaking into his lopsided smile.

“Can I ask and will you answer?” She didn’t know where she got the courage to say that.

He looks at her for a while. Joohyun fidgets with her keys. His silence was unnerving.

“Of course Joohyun. I will answer.” He looks at her – no longer smiling. “To the best of my ability – I will answer.”

It was like a bolt of electricity shot thru Joohyun – he said her name – she never told him her name.

“How do you know my name?” She stammers.

“Uhm – nothing sinister like that – it’s just on your notebook and book.” He points to her bag.

“How did you see my notebooks and book?” She closes her bag.

“We looked for your keys remember?” He walked silently next to her.

It was dark in the alley way and Joohyun almost lost her balance. But swift hands broke her fall – he holds her close and as soon as she was steady he moves away from her. Her gasps from the cold but realizes that if he hadn’t done what he did – she would have fallen to her knees.

“Kamsahamnida.” She looks down at her sandals. “That was clumsy of me.”

“No – it’s dark and you didn’t see.” He picks up the plastic bag and holds it out to her. “Here.”

“Can you see? I mean – in the dark?” She gets the plastic bag and continues walking – paying attention to where she was walking.

“Like it was daylight.” He answers. “Not that I can clearly remember daylight. I see it on TV.”

“How long ago was that?” She was in front of her door.

“Too long ago.” He smiles down at her. “Go inside.”

She looks at him and nods. Unconsciously biting her lip.

“Good night Joohyun. Rest.” He moves away and looks at her.

She opens her door and looks at him as she shuts the door. She closes it softly.

Their question and answer started then. Joohyun was very curious about him. And true to his word – he answered the best her could.

“Do you have a reflection in the mirror?”

“Yes I do. That’s only for the movies.”

“Are you really Korean?”

“Yes, I have been all my life.”

“Have you travelled around the world?”

“Yes, I have several times and in several eras.”

“Do you have family?”

“Not that I can remember. How about you?”

“My parents died when I was little and I was brought up by nuns. They were kind but they thought I was strange.” Joohyun clamps her hand on . This was personal information – and she didn’t want him to know her personally.

“You are strange.” He nods his head. “Most people would freak out if they heard our conversation.”

“I never wanted to be strange. I just am. I learned to accept what I was a long time ago.” She wanted to be honest. “I was 6 when I saw my first ghost.”

“Were you scared?”

“Of course – it was hovering over Mother Superior and followed her for days.  I tried to tell her but she just put me to bed without any evening meal. We learned later that her sister had died in the United States. By then the other girls kept as far away from me.”

“What have you seen Joohyun?”

“Angry ghosts, weeping ghosts, rooms that had memories of violence, formless entities that made me almost die from fear. But I’ve never seen anyone like you – not ever.” She stops and looks at him. “And I still don’t know what you want from me.”

“I don’t want anything from you. I just want to be able to walk with you and talk with you.”

“Does that make you feel normal?”

He actually laughed then. And the sound felt pleasant in her ears.

“I suppose.” He nods.

When she was by herself Joohyun had to admit that it was very pleasant to talk to him. He was also easy on the eyes. She knew a lot of females took a second look when they passed by but she never felt his attention waver.

She was practicing hard and she even let him hear a recording of her piece. He was appreciative and told her that she played beautifully. His praise made her smile – long after she was alone in her tiny home.

The next couple of days brought her immense pain.  Her teacher told her that Julliard still had to review her piece again. While she was talented – there was the question of fees and living expenses. Something that the scholarship did not cover. They would get back to her teacher in the next few weeks.

They were near her house when she turns to him with her eyes blinking away tears.  His silence comforted her.  He didn’t ask her why she was sad or why she sighed constantly and seemed preoccupied.

“Let’s have a drink.” She looks at him. “I feel I need a drink. Can you drink?” She didn’t wait for his answer but hurried to the nearest tent. It was now turning in to summer and a lot of people were on the streets.

They were seated in the farthest table.  Joohyun picked the spot so they wouldn’t be close to a lot people.

“Does the smell of cooking meat make you gag?” She asks him as she opens a bottle of soju.

“I have gotten used to it over the years.” He thanks her for pouring him a shot. They toast each other and Joohyun had to shake her head.  She hadn’t eaten anything and she was sure that the alcohol would go straight to her head. To her surprise he orders dukbokki.

“Eat something. I can hear your stomach growling.” He pushes the plate nearer to her. “You shouldn’t drink on an empty stomach.”

She smiles her thanks and finishes the food quickly. “Mianeyo – I didn’t think I was that hungry.”

“You’re very hungry every night – yet you eat so little.” He pours her another shot and clinks her glass.

“I can take care of myself – I’ve been doing that all my life.” Joohyun’s nostrils flare before she gulps down the soju.

“I’m sure you have.” He raises his hand and orders another 2 bottles of soju.

“Can you get drunk?” Joohyun’s head was slowly spinning. She really wasn’t a drinker.

“With soju – no – I can finish 24 bottles and not feel a thing.” He takes another shot. “Now if I drank 5 liters of blood – I’d be drunk and I would sleep about a week.”

Suddenly Joohyun felt sober. Nothing like that comment to wake her up. It made her remember who and what he was.

“No – I wouldn’t go on a killing spree – we haven’t done that for a long long time.” He smiles at her.

“We?” She gulps down another shot he poured for her.

“You don’t think I’m the only one.”He drank the soju like water.

“Of course how stupid of me.” She nods and briefly closes her eyes. He looked so handsome to her.

“We are only a few. And we are generally solitary creatures.” He calls the Ahjumma and asks for another 2 bottles and a plate of dukbokki.

Joohyun ate only sparingly as her head was starting to spin. She would not get drunk – she mentally scolded herself. It would be embarrassing.

“I think we should stop now. You still have work tomorrow.” He stood up and went to pay the Ahjumma.

Her world was spinning and she stumbled against the opposite table.

“Yah – girl! What do you think you’re doing?” The man in the next table stands up. His soju was splashed across his chest.

“I’m so sorry!” Joohyun tries to pull out her handkerchief and spills the contents of her bag. Groaning she stoops to pick up the items – affording the men in the next table glimpses of her cleavage.

She feels a pair of ice cold hands stand her straight. “I’ll do that.” His voice was soft against her ear.

“Yah we were just enjoying the show.” The man and his companions laugh.

Joohyun didn’t hear him say anything but after a while the man and his companions started to apologize.

“Let’s go.” His hand was on her elbow. His other hand was holding her bag. “Steady – just walk steady.”

When they were outside the tent Joohyun sits down on the nearest park bench.  Her head was still spinning but the night air helped ease her nausea.

“This is the last time you’ll ever invite me to drink.” He sits beside her. He rummages thru her bag and brings out her light cardigan. “Cover your legs.”

“But it’s hot!” She removes the cardigan and stuffs it back inside her bag. She moved closer to him. The heat was lessened when she was close to his coldness.

Everyone was in shorts and loose clothes. But he was in a long sleeved t shirt and black pants. Joohyun just knew he stood out in the crowd.

“Must you always wear black?” She pouts and looks at him. “It makes you paler. Can’t vampires wear any color?”

When she realizes that she said what he was – her eyes widen and her face pales. “Mianeyo I didn’t –“

He tilts his head and smiles at her. “So you have to be drunk in order to say what I am. You don’t need to apologize – I’m not offended because that is what I am. I just prefer black – it has no relation to what I am.”

“But still –“Joohyun’s hands twist around the strap of her bag – so tightly that that the strap breaks. “Oh no!”

He reaches out to take the bag from her. The bag was old and the leather was already brittle. He knew she barely made a living – judging from her very basic clothes. She lived for her music so everything else didn’t matter. “It can’t be mended.” He looks at her.

“But I can’t –“Her eyes spill with tears.  She was drunk and sensitive. “It’s not in my budget. I’ll just sew it on.” She gets the bag and holds it against her chest.

Joohyun knew that the bag was old needed changing but it just wasn’t possible. She looks way from him – not that she was embarrassed by being poor but she didn’t want to see the pity in his eyes.

“I understand.” He tells her quietly. “I won’t offer.”

“I want to go home now.” She stands up and starts to walk but the ground seemed suddenly so near.

“Yonghwa-ssi!” She calls out and her hands reach out for him.

His hands hold her once again. Cold hands on her forearms as he holds her steady. “Are you alright? I don’t think you can walk.”

Joohyun rested her head on his cold neck. He made her feel better – made her nausea go away because he was cold.

“Here get on my back.” He maneuvers her so quickly that Joohyun didn’t even have a chance to say no.

Her body leans on his cold back – infinitely better. It was just so hot. Her arms rest on his shoulder and his arms carried her weight comfortably.

“Do you feel better?” He asks.

“You’re so cold – it’s so nice to lean in to you – like a cold sheet.” Her eyes were closed.

Joohyun heard his soft laughter. She settled her head against his neck. He definitely made her headache go away.

Then she had the sensation of being gently lifted and made to stand. His hand was on her arm and he hands her the house key.

“Sleep – you’ll have a headache in the morning.” He whispers in her ear.

The key swam in her eyes. Joohyun felt the nausea rise up.  Her knees buckle but he caught her.

“Invite me in.” He whispers in her ear.

“I can’t -you’re a –“She clamps her hand over .

“I’ll just take you in and leave. I promise.” He answers back – she was held firmly against him.

Joohyun battled with her drunken state. She didn’t want to vomit on the street –it would be embarrassing to explain to her landlady who lived next door.

“Alright – here is the key – I invite you in.” No sooner had she given the key to him did she feel like she was on fast forward.

She was immediately inside her house – on her bed – fully clothed.  She tries to stand up to thank him but the nausea was overwhelming so she tries to run for the bathroom. He held her hair back as she vomited up soju and dukbokki.  Joohyun was gagging and clutched at the toilet bowl.

“Are you done?” His voice was close to her hair.

She nods and tries to stand up. He pulls her up and led her to the sink. With his cold hand he washes her face and pats it dry with her thin towel.

“Gargle the water but don’t swallow.”

Joohyun did what she was told.  She didn’t feel any better because the nausea was replaced by a throbbing headache. “Lie down.” This was all she could say before passing out.

Her alarm clock screamed 7 AM and Joohyun could barely open her eyes. Her mobile was next to her and when her consciousness returned she sits up abruptly – making her head pound.

Looking down she sees that she was still in her clothes except that her sandals were removed. She groaned as she sat up. Her headache was massive. She was very thirsty – and for the first time finished a whole bottle of water from her small empty refrigerator.

Sitting down on her thread bare sofa she notices that there were things on the wooden table.

Her hands were shaking as she took in the sight of a bottle of ibuprofen, a plastic bowl of soup and 3 pieces of kimbap.

“What have I done?” She holds her head between her hands. She’d invited a vampire inside her home. She racked her brain about all the vampire tales she’d heard. She sighed with relief when she remembers that she could always un-invite him.  She would do that tonight.

But she could not help but be touched by his gesture. Soup and crackers before drinking the medicine. She transfered the soup in her one and only pot and fired her up her small stove. As she sat down to take the soup and crackers she offers him a silent thanks.

That whole day was a headache for her. She was glad she took the ibuprofen – the restaurant clients were cranky and bossy. She tried her best to remain calm. Her shift was short and she hurried to her second part time job. She worked for a local florist – 4 hours 3 times a week. She found the job calming and was glad to learn from the old lady who owned the store. She delivered the flowers also but it wasn’t hard – she enjoyed the walks and the bus rides. The old woman was kind and reminded her of the nuns in school. Her pay was smaller than the restaurant but Joohyun was content.

As she was leaving home the old lady asked to talk to her.

“Joohyun – tell me honestly- I know you see strange things,” The old lady took her hand. “My husband is here isn’t he?”

Joohyun could only nod. The old man wasn’t harmful – he just stood in the corner of the store and watched the old woman make her bouquets and arrangements. He’d always been there ever since Joohyun started working there.

“I’ve dreamt about him for several days now.” The old woman patted Joohyun’s hand. “In my dream he said he was going to take me soon. Is that true?”

Joohyun turns to look at the empty space between the flower boxes. The ghost nods.

She could not lie to the kind old woman so she nods her head. “He said yes.”

“You should start looking for a new job my dearest girl. My daughter will close this down and sell everything.” The old woman holds Joohyun’s hand tighter. “While there is still time.”

“But –“Joohyun’s eyes blink back tears. “Aren’t you afraid to die?”

“Not if I can be with my husband – I’m not afraid.” The old lady smiles. “He is my one great love – so I will follow him everywhere including forever. I’m just glad he’s finally come to take me.” The old woman smiles and wipes away the young woman’s tears.

So with a throbbing head and a heavy heart Joohyun went to school. Her professor sensed the heaviness in her heart and remarked on this. Joohyun just smiled. She was a private person – she promised her teacher that she would do better next time.

On the way home she stops near the cluster of trees and waited for him to come.

“You’re sad. Very sad.” He tells her as soon as comes up to her.

She just nods and turns to walk. It was turning in to autumn and the night wind was cold. She shivered and scolded herself silently for forgetting to bring a thicker cardigan.

He puts his jacket on her shoulders. “Keep warm.”

Joohyun was surprised but thanked him just the same. “Won’t you feel cold?”

“I am coldness personified. I don’t feel cold or hot. I’m always cool.”

Joohyun laughs for the first time that day. It was really funny for her – a vampire saying that he was cool. That was hilarious.

“You’re really fascinating – you’re sad one minute then you’re laughing so hard now there are tears running down your face.” His thumb wipes away a tear.

The feel of his skin makes Joo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter