Monster - Part 8

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Their return to Korea was delayed by a week. Joohyun was well for 3 days but after that she had fever that persisted for days baffling even Jueno Uri. Every night before she went to sleep Yonghwa would chant the tranquility spell until she fell asleep in his arms.

His children remained with Yonghwa. Jonghyun and Minhyuk conducted their business thru mobile and internet while Yonghwa continued to be unavailable to everyone except his family. He had meetings with his children and they discuss business. Even Jungshin and Yoona had their own roles in Yonghwa’s business empire. 

When Joohyun learned how many businesses, real estate and buildings were owned by Yonghwa she was flabbergasted. His empire generated millions of US dollars in Korea and around the world. He had legal counsels and business consultants that handled everything in his name. There were layers that one had to go thru before an ordinary person or even a government could even know who actually owned his business empire.

Yonghwa remained anonymous and preferred it that way.  He was as low key as he could get. He seldom displayed wealth and power. His clothes were unbranded because they were all custom made down to his shoes. The only clue to his wealth were his cars and motorcycles. He also owned 2 yachts – one anchored in Busan and one in Seoul. His companies had helicopters and the only reason he didn’t buy a Lear jet was that his mother already had 2 that were available for his use at any time.

“Remember I had 500 years to build this – so don’t be too astounded.” He told her as he watches her eat another boiled egg.

Jonghyun and Jungshin had gone out one night and brought back food for Joohyun and the guards.  One of the plasma refrigerators was now used to contain eggs, milk, tofu, some meat, chicken and kimchi.  Joohyun had clapped her hands when she saw the kimchi and much to everyone’s surprise Yonghwa actually smiled when she did that.  They watch as she leans on him and his hand runs lightly over her hair.  This was something that they had never seen Yonghwa do before – be affectionate and smile.

While she was not allowed to interact with the guards, Joohyun manages to send her thanks thru small parchment notes and pens that Minami provided. Yonghwa voiced his disapproval but Joohyun said she wanted to be polite. This was another thing that his children, his Maker, Shun Oguri and Minami witness – Joohyun’s complete lack of fear in going against Yonghwa if she felt her action was right.

Her additional one week stay also produced another surprise.  While she was polite and courteous with the Lady – Joohyun struck up a friendship with Shun Oguri.  Everyone expected her to avoid him because of how he kidnapped her and forcing her to choose a Master. But Joohyun unexpectedly understood him and his actions.

It started one night when she saw him playing chess by himself in the garden. She approached him shyly then and told him she was a member of the chess club in middle school and high school. The silent man who always carried his sword frightened Joohyun but she was determined to overcome her fear.

The samurai had gotten up and bowed, thanking her for the opportunity to engage in fair game of chess.  Joohyun wanted to giggle at the old world chivalry but she just blushed and bowed in return.  This frightening man reminded her so much of Yonghwa. The samurai voiced his concern about her fever and Joohyun just brushes it aside telling him that she felt much better if she would spend it outdoors and doing something else than lying down in bed being sick.

So far in the 4 days that they played chess they were even in score. Even the Lady had gone out to the garden with Yonghwa and they watched Joohyun and the 800 hundred year old vampire play chess. They hear her talk to him and his answering laughter. She was able to get him to talk to her in Korean. Something he never did with Yonghwa or his children.

 Shun Oguri told his mate that Joohyun made him laugh with her views and opinions of the world in general and life in particular. She refreshing and innocent. He assured his mate that Joohyun would be a perfect match to Yonghwa even as she, Ueno Juri was a perfect match for him hundreds of years ago.

But the Void remained at their gates. Constantly hitting it and testing the core of the containment spell. Their protection was severely tested when the 3 young male vampires left and then again when Jonghyun and Jungshin went out to buy food – The Lady, Yonghwa and Sosuke took turns in reinforcing the containment spell. The Lady and Yonghwa both agreed that Joohyun’s continued fever was because of the Void’s presence. Ueno Juri tried teaching Joohyun to play the koto but learning a musical piece wasn’t that easy.

“When you come next time child – I will teach you to play.” Ueno Juri smiles as she puts the koto back in its case. She’d just played a wonderful piece that was sweet and sad at the same time.

Joohyun was once again fascinated and in awe of the grace and skill of the beautiful vampire. Even dressed in a house kimono Ueno Juri typified the beauty of Japan’s past.

“Thank you so much for letting me hear you play, Ommonim.” Joohyun bows.

“Ommonim.” Ueno Juri smiles as she repeats the word softly at Joohyun.

Joohyun blushes but she nods and bows again. “Ommonim.”

Ueno Juri smiles again and turns to brush something off her kimono.

Joohyun notices the beautiful eyes turn sad just before they look away from her. “You are sad Ommonim.”

“No I am not. It is nothing child. Let me enjoy being called mother by another young one. Soon you may not be able to call me that. It will all depend on Yonghwa.”

“I don’t understand.” Joohyun moves closer and timidly puts her hand over the vampire’s small colder one.

“There was time long ago when my only child would not call me his mother. He hated being a vampire and blamed me constantly for it. I was hired to kill Lord Jung and his family – to spare no one. But miraculously Yonghwa survived the attack – he turned vampire. Being a Maker is a huge responsibility that a vampire must take on. There have been vampires that were killed by the Council because they did not train their children well. We had a hard time subduing him - he had gone on a killing rampage. When he came to senses he was so burdened by what he did that he tried to kill himself – again this is something that a vampire is not allowed to do until he is 1,000 years old. It took him 200 years before he acknowledged me as Okasama and only because he had a child of his own then – Jonghyun. Even then Jonghyun had to call me Sobo not Obaasan. The term is still respectful but not close. Yonghwa has managed to keep his children at a distance from myself and my mate. As his children they have no choice but to call me Sobo as it is his wish.  When you become his mate I hope he will let you continue to call me Ommonim as well.”

Joohyun felt sad when she learned this but she understood Yonghwa. He had always told her that he still felt anger about what happened to him. He had turned his children into vampires because they were gravely wounded or dying and even then he asked them first before he turned them. He had given them a choice. By Jonghyun’s account, Yonghwa took his role as Maker very seriously – he trained them personally. He was always strict but fair.

“I’m sure he will.” Joohyun murmurs.

Her visit was interrupted by Minami telling them that it was time for Joohyun’s evening meal. Joohyun bows and excuses herself.  

On their way to Yonghwa’s room Minami asks Joohyun if she was feeling well. She smiles and tells the beautiful vampire servant that she was still feverish.

“What’s for dinner?” Joohyun speaks Korean to Minami.

Minami smiles and looks at her hands. “Ramen with some chicken and boiled egg. You must be tired of that Agassi. I know Nauri will frown again.”

“Let him frown. I pity the guards who have to cook for me and themselves as well.” Joohyun’s brows knit with worry. Shun Oguri had forbidden the guards to go out or even their families to deliver food to them.  They had to eat whatever food Jonghyun and Jungshin were able to get for them. The unnatural cold now reached half of the mansion’s driveway. It was a good thing that the mansion was isolated.

When they reach the room Joohyun bows and thanks Minami.

“Yong I am back.” Joohyun smiles as she approaches him.  He was working again much to her dismay. She made a mental note to ask him to take her for a walk in the inner garden after eating.

“Oh, you are back from visiting Okasama.” He looks at her and nods before turning his attention again to his laptop.

“Can you sit with me while I eat?” Joohyun sits on the chair and opens the covered dishes. “Please.” She sits back and folds her hands.

Yonghwa sighs. He knew she would not eat until he stops work and sits with her. His children had mentioned how they found Joohyun’s actions towards their Maker very brave yet very endearing. He knew that they liked her – very much.

“You really try my patience Joohyunah.” Yonghwa closes his laptop and sits in front of her. “Now eat.”

Joohyun smiles and starts to eat.  She constantly looks at his face while eating. Yonghwa tried to maintain an expressionless face but after a few minutes had to give a small smile and shake his head. He was no match for the twinkling eyes and the lovely smile of the woman in front of him.

She gives him one more triumphant smile before taking the tray outside and handing it to Minami. She assures the vampire servant that Yonghwa did not frown at the food and reminds Minami to thank the guards once again for the food.

She closes the door and turns, finding herself in his arms. She leans her head on his chest – he was cold as always but since she had a low grade fever his coldness was a relief.

“You are still feverish Joohyunah. Did you and the samurai play chess again outside? “Yonghwa asks.

“Sensei and I played chess in the living room. We had an audience – Jongie Oppa, Yoona, Shin-nee and Hyukie. I was wrapped in a blanket courtesy of Minami. Then Ommonim told me to join her in her room.  She played the koto and told me that she would teach me how to play the koto next we come here.” Joohyun smiles at him.

“Ommonim?” Yonghwa asks. “The koto?”

“Yes.” Joohyun walks to the window and sees the Void – charging at the gates. ”Is there anything wrong with that? I should try playing another instrument other than the piano. I think it is very sweet of her to offer to teach me.”

 Yonghwa doesn’t answer and instead tells her to go take a quick bath before preparing to sleep. Joohyun suggests that they go for a walk in the inner garden. But he shakes his head and tells her that she's sick. Knowing him as she did by now, they would only quarrel if she persisted so she just nods and goes to the bathroom. Her fever also made her lethargic so she didn’t want to argue further.

Like Yonghwa’s bathroom in Seoul – Joohyun finds the familiar cherry blossom shampoo, conditioner and soap.  They were personally made for the Lady by a French company. Vampires did not really need to bathe, it was part of their allure that they always smelled clean and sweet. But the Lady told Joohyun that female vampires still bathed, showered and shampooed their hair – it was basically a female ritual that did not go away when a female became a vampire. Somehow that knowledge gave Joohyun comfort.

She puts the cherry blossom scented lotion and the facial products that Yoona thoughtfully packed when they came for her. She puts on the rose pink kimono and dries her hair. She was ready to sleep.

“Yong.” She calls out to him as she slides under the sheets. He was by the window looking out towards the gates. “Come to bed.”

Yonghwa lies down on the bed and tucks her snugly under the covers. He leans in to give her a kiss before taking her in his arms.

“You’re still too warm Joohyunah.” He murmurs against her lips.

She nods and tucks her head on the crook of his neck. He was worried about her – they all were. The disappearing spell worked differently with humans – some didn’t survive, some did but the effects were also different and far reaching. Yonghwa was very worried that the longer she stayed in the mansion without her music the sicker she would become yet Joohyun needed the magic in mansion to keep her healthy – the healing spell that was powerful because his Mother was here. He starts the chant – willing Joohyun to be well.

“But I want to go home. You promised.” Joohyun was sleepy as she clung to him. “I only have a slight fever. You promised me we would go home.”

As it was for the last 6 days, Joohyun’s fever would spike so high in the early hours of the morning that Yonghwa had to strip her and hold tightly against his own body. His coldness was her only relief from the burning fever. He chanted the healing spells over and over until her fever went down. Then he would wipe off the sweat from her body and put her underwear and kimono back on.  It helped that he only had blue sheets – he changed the drenched sheets every night and handed them to Minami. The vampire servant would bow and take the sheets– she was his mother’s servant – her silence was expected.

Joohyun would wake up the next day without any memory of what happened. And Yonghwa did not want to tell her. He forbade everyone including Shun Oguri from mentioning anything to Joohyun.

 On the 7th day he’d gone to his Maker and told her that he was going to bring Joohyun home to Korea. He was willing to take the chance of her health deteriorating without the protection of his Maker’s magic. He was surprised when Ueno Juri to told him that the jet would be waiting for them at Fukuoka.  

“We will take the Hummer that is in the garage. The cold may not bother us but that child needs to be wrapped warmly. Head east then the helicopter will be in the field just outside the nearest village. The Void will follow the child and I will do my best to deflect its anger.”

“You are coming with us?” Yonghwa looks at his Maker.

“I see no other way.” She replies. “Tell your children to get ready. Minami will help you dress her suitably.” The Lady looks outside. “It is a new moon and the Void will be in full power. You will need me. Let us meet in 20 minutes. Minami will not feed her just to make sure that whatever remains of the disappearing spell will not make her uncomfortable. ”

Yonghwa nods. He had a promise to fulfill to Joohyun. “I will put her to sleep. We will meet you in the garage.”

He heads for the living room and gives instructions to his children. He ignores their surprised expression when he tells them that Ueno Juri will be coming with them. When he goes inside his bedroom he finds Joohyun watching TV. She smiles at him and tells him that she was just waiting for Minami to bring her food tray.

“Joohyunah – we’re going home.” He tells her.

“Now?” She jumps up the bed and runs to him. “Really?”

“Really.” He tells her.

“Thank you. Thank you. Yong!” She embraces him and kisses his cheek repeatedly.

“Go now and dress up in the clothes you came with.” He lets go of her and turns her towards the bathroom. “Quickly.”

She stops then and turns to face him. “The Void? It will harm you, Jongie, Minhyuk, Jungshin and Yoona.”

He sees the fear and worry in her eyes. Yonghwa sees from her expression that it never entered her head that the Void might harm her too – her only thought was for him and his children.

“We’ll handle it. Now get ready. Like you I want to go home too.” He keeps his voice stern.

She gives him one more worried look before going to the dressing room. She came out after 15 minutes – dressed in the pretty frock and the high heeled shoes that she was wearing when she was taken.

“Minami.” Yonghwa calls out.

“Can I go say goodbye to Ommonim and Sensei?” Joohyun asks.

“No time – my Maker is coming with us and the samurai well….” Yonghwa shakes his head. “Minami!”

The female vampire servant comes in holding a full length mink coat, a woolen scarf, a cap and gloves. She puts every article of clothing on Joohyun.

“Goodness it’s not winter yet.” Joohyun remarks then it dawns on her. “Oh, the drive way is frozen.”

Minami bows and turns to leave when Joohyun suddenly holds the servant’s hand. “Minami – kamsahamnida. For everything. For taking care of me.”

“Agassi – it was privilege to take care of you.” The servant bows but was totally surprised when Joohyun embraces her.

“I will see you again.” Joohyun steps back and bows.

Minami bows once again and leaves them.

“You really are a funny human.” Yonghwa stands in front of Joohyun. She never ceased to amaze him with her personality and warmth. In the time she stayed in the mansion she had managed to win over his Maker, Minami and most of all Shun Oguri.

She merely smiles and inclines her head. “That I am. But I feel too warm in what I am wearing. Are we going now?”

He sits her down the bed. “I need to put you to sleep.”

“Why?” She asks him.

“Just trust me. It’s to keep you safe.” He puts her feet up and makes her lie down.

“Will I have the awful feeling again?” She holds his hand, her trusting eyes focused on him.

“Not if I can help it. Now close your eyes. I will be with you.” His hand holds her cheek. “Trust me.”

“I always have.” Her eyelids flutter and she sighs but her hand does not let go of his hand.

Yonghwa completes the chant until her was sure she was in a deep sleep.  He carries her effortlessly – out of the room and heads for the garage.

Jonghyun already started the H3 Hummer. It would seat all 7 of them comfortably. Joohyun was seated between Yonghwa and Ueno Juri. They begin their way down the long drive way leading out of the mansion.

Joohyun’s teeth start to chatter. Her breath came in puffs but she stays asleep. Yonghwa’s lips move silently and his arms were around her.

They were nearing the gates when Ueno Juri tells Jonghyun to drive thru them.

“Sobo the mansion will be open.” Jonghyun looks at her.

“Do as she says.” Yonghwa tells them.

The Hummer gathers speed heading directly for the gates and the Void.

As it crashes against the gates and heads towards the Void, Ueno Juri starts to chant. They were going to go thru the Void. When they finally hit the Void, every one of them felt the weightlessness and nothingness – the only sound was Ueno Juri’s soft voice chanting in a language none of them knew. They close their eyes, clamped their jaws shut and held their hands over their ears. They resist the urge to scream.

Yonghwa had the hardest time – he concentrated on chanting the tranquility spell. As he felt the nothingness and weightlessness surround him – he holds Joohyun tighter – faltering with the spell, his only guide was his Maker’s voice.

The impact with the Void was only seconds but they all felt that they were inside it for hours.

When the Hummer lands on the street Jonghyun lets out a scream of rage and floors the accelerator.  He drives as fast and as hard as he could. The Void would follow them soon enough.

“How is she?” Ueno Juri gasps as she turns to Yonghwa.

“She’s stable.” He could barely make the words out.

“Do you want me to hold her?” His Maker asks.

“No – I have to hold her.” He shakes his head. He felt dreadful as if his head would explode any minute. “How long before we reach the field?”

“15 minutes Nauri.” Jonghyun replies. “They better be ready.”

When they reach the helicopter Jonghyun slams the brakes and stops just a feet away from the helicopter.  They hurry to take Joohyun to the helicopter. Ever mindful that the Void was coming. The helicopter was already hovering as they climb in.

“To the airport. Hurry.” Ueno Juri tells the pilot. “Do not stop for anything. I will deal with it.”

The pilot was a vampire like them. He nods and takes off.  The helicopter engines labored as the Void continually tried to them in.  Just before they landed all the wires short circuited and it was only thru the pilot’s skill that they land safely on the private air strip exclusively for the use of Ueno Juri.

“Quickly!” Ueno Juri tells them as they run to the waiting jet.  All the paperwork had been dealt with – owning the land that the airport was built on was an added advantage.

“Do you want me to carry her?” Jonghyu looks Yonghwa’s face. His Maker was struggling to keep Joohyun unconscious. Yonghwa’s normally reddish pink lips were pale and his steps faltered.

“No – I need to hold her while I chant the spell.” Yonghwa looks down at Joohyun pale face. “Her fever is climbing again.”

Minhyuk and Jungshin help Yonghwa up the plane followed by Yoona and Jungshin. Ueno Juri looks up at the dark sky and murmurs another spell.  The most dangerous part of their journey was beginning. When she enters the plane she immediately tells the crew to serve them plasma and water.

Yonghwa puts Joohyun down in the lounge chair. With Yoona’s help they remove the coat, scarf, cap and gloves. She was starting to moan in her sleep and beads of sweat were forming on her forehead.

“Nauri, what is happening to Unnie?” Yoona tells the stewardess to bring her all the available towels. She starts wiping the sweat that was coming out of Joohyun’s body.

“She losing too much fluid.” Jungshin remarks. “We have IV here – it may help her.”

“It’s an after effect of the spell.” Yonghwa tells his children. “She needs –“

“Cold.” Ueno Juri tells them. “The private lounge is prepared for you. Bring her there. No one will disturb you.”

Yonghwa nods and lifts up Joohyun.

“Musuko – do not think about anything except helping her. I will handle everything else.”

“I leave the children to you then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter