Monster - Part 5

Monster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun gets off the bus stop and hurries to cross the street.  Lots of people were going home. The breeze lifts her hair and she had to smile.  It was almost spring and it was getting warm. She was home early from work. Lately her boss, his wife and everyone else who worked in the soup restaurant were good to her.  She suspected it was because of a guy who always came around and chatted with them. All the waitresses were infatuated with him and his boss’s wife would always tell her daughter that she should make sure that she married someone like him. Joohyun had to bite her lower lip every time she caught their love-struck expressions or heard them giggle like adolescent girls.

Yes, every female in the place she worked in was in love with Jungshin.

It all started after she returned to work.  He would come in just before her shift finished – at first to inquire as to how she was doing – if she was tiring herself.  Then the owner’s wife offered him a glass of soju because they were short staffed that day and Joohyun had to work 2 more hours. He was there to fetch her – the text from Yonghwa earlier in the day told Joohyun to expect Jungshin. He good naturedly sat down and engaged the owner’s wife in small talk which later turned into a medical consultation.

The other waitresses at first didn’t believe that Jungshin was only her doctor and a good friend.  He was such a catch – so handsome. Joohyun introduced Jungshin to them and had to stop herself from giggling – even those with husbands blushed like school girls. Yes, Jungshin was handsome, witty, polite and engaging. 

From that night on – her co-workers would ask if Jungshin was fetching her.  But he didn’t always fetch her so some days they were lucky and some days they were not.

Some days someone who fetched her would turn them speechless. He was less talkative than Jungshin but was unfailingly polite if distant. He always came when the store had the least customers – quietly asking if Joohyun was already done with her shift.  Her boss found him to be courteous, respectful and serious.  Later her boss would tell Joohyun not to let him go. But her co-workers said to Joohyun that he looked too perfect and wasn’t as engaging as Jungshin.  In her heart she was glad that though they found him attractive – they didn’t flirt with him but were prim and proper ladies around him.

Yes, Joohyun was glad that she had Jung Yonghwa to herself.

The guards bow to her as she enters the massive glass building in Cheongdam-dong. They had gotten used to the beautiful Agassi who lived with their Master.  She always smiled prettily at them and had no airs. She was a t-shirt and jeans kind of young woman – one that any man would look twice at but the guards knew that she was special to the Master and kept a respectful distance.

 Keying the passcode for the private elevator Joohyun couldn’t repress a shudder – lately she had gotten more sensitive to the void that followed her around. It was under control since she stayed with Yonghwa in order to get well.

When the elevator doors open she was once again greeted by 2 armed guards. Covering the short distance to the ornately carved wooden doors, Joohyun’s sneakers hardly made a sound on the thick carpet.

She places her hand on the wooden doors and closes her eyes for a brief second and one side of the door opened – just enough for her to slip in.  Immediately she felt safe – the void couldn’t enter this place.

The lights open as she walks into the living room – Yonghwa was not yet home. Walking to the galley kitchen Joohyun opens the huge refrigerator. Before it had only plasma and water – now it had food containers and fruits. Milk and juice were side by side with the blood plasma.  Her hand closes on the bottle of cold water – she was thirsty.  Gingerly putting the glass bottle on the Carrera marble counter top and reaching up to get the Baccarat glass from the cabinet – drinking cold water was a ritual that she always did every time she came home whether it was in her small apartment or this huge condo unit.

Sitting on the high chair she slowly drinks her glass of cold water and smiles to herself. The beautiful white baby grand piano dominated the room. It brought so much joy to her to be able to play every day – the music helped her get well.

She had a small smile on her lips as she recalled the past month….

“How did you get this in here?” Joohyun’s fingers reverently traces the piano’s lid. “It’s very beautiful.”

“It’s for you. Think of it as The Day after Christmas Present.” Yonghwa tells her from the armchair where he was seated. He was enchanted by the flush on her cheeks and how her eyes opened wide when she woke up to find the piano in the living room.  Like a child on Christmas day, he thought to himself.

She stops admiring the piano and looks at him. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Say thank you.” He stands in front of her. “Say thank you Yonghwa-yah.”

Her blush becomes deeper and she looks down at her bare feet.  He really was the kindest person to her.  Only he would know how much playing the piano meant to her.

“Well I’m waiting. It would seem that the sisters didn’t teach you well.” He tilts her face up and was very surprised to see her eyes were full of tears and she was biting her lower lip. “Joohyunah!”

Her smile was shy and she tiptoes to kiss his lips. She knew that he would put her away from him if the kiss lasted longer than a minute. But she took advantage of that one full minute to press her lips against his cold ones and her arms to wrap around his neck – making him bend and put his hands around her. Her heart ached when he pulls away and holds her arms.

“You’re crying from happiness I take it?” He looks at her.

She nods – her eyes sparking, her lips parted in a wide engaging smile. She gives him one more hug before stepping back. “Thank you – you’re the best person in the world to me.”

“I have to remind you of that the next time you’re sulking.” He gently touches her nose.

“Do that.” She sits on the piano seat and opens the piano. Gently touching the keys she looks up and asks him. “What do you want me to play for you?”

“Ah about that –“Yonghwa sits beside her and holds her hand. “Do you remember the shaman that you met while I was away?”

Joohyun nods. “Yes I remember.”

“Did she tell you anything about you playing the piano?”

“No – but she heard me play – she accompanied me to the orphanage to give food to the children. Before that she told me about the void.” Joohyun barely stops a shudder from escaping her lips. It had given her nightmares afterwards.

“Did she tell you what your piano playing did?” Yonghwa gently squeezes her hands.

“No she didn’t why? What has this got to do with the thing outside?” Joohyun asks. “You’re scaring me.”

“Silly girl – why are you scared? I’m here.” He leans to kiss her forehead.

“So tell me.” Her honest eyes look at him while her hands unconsciously hold onto his own.

“Every time you play the music that comes out are like white ribbons weaving out of the piano and after they wind around you they go off and repel any creature of darkness that is around you – within a half kilometer radius. Like shots of lighting.”

“But – you’re –“Her hands grip him.

“Specters become like smoke and dissipate. Other supernatural creatures like myself and the void – well it –“He looks at her with concern- she was gripping his hands much too tightly.

“Does it hurt you?” She asks.

“It does. But the more important thing is that the music shrinks the void – to its smallest size – like a plate – it doesn’t disappear completely but its power is diminished. So when you were in university and playing the piano with your professor – the void while it still followed you was not as threatening as when you stopped playing and you became sick.” He sees her face become white as a sheet.  He disengages his hands from her and puts his arms around her. “You have great power Joohyunah – that is why the void wants you.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” She pulls away from him. “I don’t like it when you do that, I’m not a child Yonghwa. Tell me – how does the music hurt you?”

“It’s like being a punching bag. It hits from all sides and our ears hurt.”  He replies quietly. He didn’t want to tell her that when he was in her recital - his ears bled and by the time she finished her musical piece he was groaning in pain. He had bruises for weeks.

“Then why do you want me to play now? I will hurt you!” She tries to stand up but he holds her fast.

“Because the void is quite a size now – you must play – you must let your power heal you.” He puts her hands on the piano keys. “I will leave you and go out to the foyer. I will be safe there and I can still hear you.”  He stands up and puts a hand on her shoulder. “As soon as the doors close – play for as long as you can.”

Joohyun watches him leave. He turns and give her a smile before the doors open.

“Why is my life so complicated? I’m in love with a vampire and my so called power can hurt him but make me well.” Joohyun lets her tears fall before impatiently wiping her face. Then taking a deep breath she puts her fingers lightly on the piano and starts to play.

Then just as she finishes her scales her fingers crash on the piano. Joohyun felt anger and the 3 passionate pieces that she plays reflect her anger and frustration.  Her wrists hurt as she did the ending notes of the final piece. Sweat poured from her back and her breath came in gasps. As the sound faded Joohyun felt that she ran for miles and it felt exhilarating.

Then she thinks of Yonghwa and runs to the doors. Her palms hit the ornate doors. “Please open – please – he has to be alright!”

Something like electricity passes thru her hands and Joohyun pulls back. Aside from touching the doors once she had never gone near the doors nor the curtains. She gasps and steps back as the doors slowly open.

“Joohyunah – how did you do that?” Yonghwa looks at her.

“I touched the doors – I wanted to see how you were – “She stops when she sees that aside from Jungshin there were 2 other guys and 1 young woman. “Oh!”

Her face floods with color – she was only in the kimono and had no slippers on. “Mianeyo – I didn’t know – are you alright?” Her first reaction was to run back to bedroom but she wills herself to stand her ground. She wanted to know if she hurt Yonghwa.

 “I’m alright.” He walks over and takes her wrists with his one hand. “Your wrists must hurt a lot – that was probably the most forceful Chopin piece I ever heard. I didn’t recognize the other 2.”

“Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky – they sort of segued one after other. My professor would have killed me if he was here.” Joohyun took a deep breath. Her heart was pounding in her chest.

“Your pulse is erratic. Maknae can you check?” He holds out one of Joohyun’s wrists to Jungshin.

Joohyun looks at the 3 other beings that were intently looking at her. “Annyeong hasimnikka – Seo Joohyun imnida.” She turns to frown at Yonghwa – he didn’t introduce her. He ignores her frown.

“Hyunnie – let me check your pulse first. Your face is lovely – blushing becomes you.” Jungshin takes Joohyun’s wrist and holds it lightly. “Your heartbeat is slowing down and your pulse is returning to normal. All healthy reactions due to your spirted playing. You’re getting better.” He lets go of her wrist when Yonghwa clears his throat.

“When you touched to doors did you feel anything?” Yonghwa still held her wrist.

“It was like a current of electricity then the doors opened.” Joohyun tells him. “Oh and I asked it to open.”

“You talked to the doors?” Yonghwa asks in an amused tone.

Joohyun scowls at him and pulls her wrist away. “I was concerned – you told me that the music hurts you.”

“Well, it would seem that the doors absorbed the power.” One of the guys spoke up. “We were able to listen to you play and we weren’t hurt. Oh, I’m Kang Minhyuk and this Jonghyun Hyung and his mate Yoona.”

Joohyun bows. “Mannaseo bangawoyo.”

“Now that you’ve met – let’s go inside you might get a cold since you’re not wearing slippers.” Yonghwa takes Joohyun’s wrist and goes inside.

“Can I talk to you for a second?” Joohyun whispers to him.

When the doors close they turn to see the ornate carvings light up for several minutes before returning to its aged wooden patina.

Yonghwa looks at door then looks at Joohyun before pulling her to the nearest arm chair and making her sit down.  He takes one of the blankets on the sofa and covers her with it.  He walks to the windows and holds the up the ends of the curtains – they could see the coins sewn inside were glowing. He opens the curtain to let in some light.

“It’s not here.” He looks at Joohyun. “For now.”

“That’s good.” Joohyun holds the blanket closer to her.  While Minhyuk was smiling at her – the other 2, Jonghyun and his mate Yoona were looking at her with no expression on their faces. Joohyun glances shyly at them then looks away.

“Did you bring her clothes?” Yonghwa stands next to the arm chair where Joohyun sat. She felt his hand on the nape of her neck.

“We went to get them – Yoona packed them.” Jonghyun answers. “We had to buy a suitcase because she didn’t have one. One of the guards will get it from our SUV.”

Joohyun flushes and swallows. “Thank you for bringing my clothes.”

“I told them to do it so they have to do it – no need to thank them.” Yonghwa responds. He felt Joohyun’s embarrassment – his eldest child was always honest but blunt – it would take a while for Joohyun to be comfortable with him.

“Yonghwa!” Joohyun looks up at him. “I have to tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter