#oo7 - The Promise

Paper Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Appa! Drink this! It’s good for your health.” Soojung said as she opened a bottle of bird nest drink and handed to her father. “It tastes good, right?”

“Anything my daughter give me taste good.” He nodded.

“I’m appa’s daughter.” She chuckled. “That’s why appa loves everything I do.”

“So, you should have a grandchild for me before I join your mother up there.” He said and pointed to the sky.

“Appa, why do you keep saying unfortunate thing?” She frowned and let out a disapproval sigh. “Do you really want to leave me that much?”

“It’s something that we all know it’s going to happen.” He gave her a smile. “Sooner or later, I’m going to join her.”

“Appa!”

“I can already imagine how excited she is once she knew that her daughter has grown up beautifully and now that little daughter has already started her own little family.” He grinned whole-heartedly as he stared at the clear sky.

“But she will be happier if you stay here with me.” She replied and tapped on his arm. “I can’t imagine how can I live without you, appa.”

“You have Myungsoo by your side now.” He looked at her and patted her head. “I’m glad that you’re in good hands now.”

“Appa!”

“Promise appa that that no matter what happened, you two have to stay together and don’t abandon one another.” He looked at her expectantly. “Promise that when I’m gone, you two have to take care of one another and don’t leave each other.”

She bit her lips, unsure what she should reply.

“I promise, abeonim!”

Soojung turned her head back at the familiar voice. There she saw Myungsoo was standing several feet away from them.

“You can’t break that promise.” Mr. Jung said. “If you do, I’ll make sure to haunt you in your dream every night.”

“Appa! You’re talking about unlucky thing again.” She scoffed. “I don’t love you anymore.”

“I’m jealous. It hasn’t been long and you’ve already loved your husband more than me.” Mr. Jung laughed, flustered her.

“It’s not like that…”

“Then, you hate me?” Myungsoo asked and took a seat beside her.

“I’ll just leave you two alone.” She stomped her feet childishly. “I’m going back.”

Mr. Jung and Myungsoo laughed as she ran back to the mansion.

“Take care of her for me!” Mr. Jung blurted out suddenly and Myungsoo looked at him. “I know you know what I mean. I know I don’t have much time left.”

“Abeonim!”

“Once I leave, the only one that is going to stay by her side is you.” The older man said. “Minhyuk is her cousin and he has taken care of her since she was young, but one day, he’s going to get married and live with his wife. So, the only closed family member that is going to stay with her is only you.”

“I…”

“It’s too obvious that the two of you have a thing for each other.” He laughed. “But both of you are just too oblivious to notice it on one another. Tell me honestly, Myungsoo! How do you think of my daughter?”

“I’m not sure.” Myungsoo answered and scratched the back of his head. “I’m not sure how I think of her.”

“That means you started to fall for her.” Mr. Jung chuckled. “Because if you don’t, you would answer my questions right away.”

“Abeonim!”

“I told you on your wedding day, right?” Mr. Jung smiled. “That you will eventually fall for my daughter. She has that charm.”

“I was curious about why did you choose me for your daughter.” Myungsoo uttered. “I mean, I and Soojung have never known each other. We don’t even have any mutual friends.”

“There’s no special reason at all.” Mr. Jung inhaled. “The moment I laid my eyes, I just knew that I can trust my daughter with you. You also prove me that no matter what happened, my daughter will be okay as long as you’re with you.”

Myungsoo didn’t reply and just looked at his father in-law.

“I’m counting on you, sawi.”

“We’ll be there soon!” Myungsoo replied before he quickly hung up. Slinging a coat over his upper body, he grabbed the car key before heading to his wife’s room which was next door.

Without bothering to knock on the door, he twisted in the knob before approaching her bed. He bent down before shaking her lightly. She groaned before rubbing her eyes as she sat up.

“Wae, Nampyun? Where are you going?” She mumbled and glanced at the clock. “It’s probably still dark outsid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter