#oo4 - Step by Step

Paper Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Parking his car in the garage of his father’s mansion, Myungsoo let out an annoying sigh before unbuckling his seatbelt. Soojung looked at him before giving him a gently squeeze on his hand.

“Smile!” She smiled at him. “People will lost appetite if they don’t see your smile. It’s been a while since we came to your house. Smile, Nampyun!”

“I’ll try!” He nodded and inhaled deeply.

“You have to do it.” She said. “Don’t just try!”

“Abeonim, omonim, we’re here!” Soojung announced excitedly as she dragged her husband into the large mansion.

“You guys are here!” Mrs. Kim smiled and approached them with Mr. Kim trailing behind. Soojung bowed to them politely before handing the present bag to them.

“I don’t really know what you like, but bird nest drink is really good to your health.” She smiled. “I hope you like it. It’s not very sweet.”

“Gomawo!” Mr. Kim smiled at her. “Why aren’t you saying anything, son?”

“I have nothing to say.” Myungsoo replied coldly. “Let’s have dinner quickly and go. I can’t stand breathing the suffocating air here.” He grabbed his wife’s hand before dragging her to the dining room. “Sit down! Let’s eat quickly and go!”

“Nampyun!” She sighed at him. “You ruined the mood.”

“Then, let’s go back!” He stood up, but she grabbed on his wrist and pulled him down. “If you don’t want to smile or say anything, don’t ruin the mood, huh?”

“Depends on how your father in-law and his wife act around me.”

“Nampyun!” She furrowed her eyes at him and he raised his arms in defeat.

“Arraseo, I won’t do anything!”

“Since this is the first time you come here, your mother in-law didn’t know what you like.” Mr. Kim said. “We hope you like it even though she’s not a really good cook.”

“I’m not a picky eater, abeonim!” She replied and smiled politely. “Thanks for having us here! Nampyun?” She nudged her husband’s arm, signaled him to say something.

“Jalmokke!” He said coldly. “Eat quickly! We need to go back!”

“Here, dak bokkeum tang!” Mrs. Kim said and placed the piece of chicken thigh on his rice bowl. “Eat up!”

“I don’t like it anymore.” He said and put down the bowl. “Ahjumma, bring me a new bowl of rice!”

“Nampyun!” She whispered and elbowed him.

“What should I do, then?” He asked, loudly for everyone to hear. “I don’t like it. I don’t want to eat.”

“But you eat it the last time I made just fine.” She said softly.

“Then it’s because you’re the one who cook it.” He answered. Soojung could only flashed an awkward smile to her mother in-law.

“I’ll help you, omonim!” Soojung said kindly as she helped her mother in-law plating the sweet red bean porridge with glutinous rice balls in pretty bowls. “This is my favorite dessert!”

“Really?” Mrs. Kim exclaimed. “You can drop by later and I’ll make it for you.”

“Thank you, omonim!” The latter said. “I’ll call you in advance.”

“But I don’t think Myungsoo wants to come with you.” The mother sighed. “Thank to you, he’s willing to come home. It’s been a long time.”

“May I ask what happened?” Soojung asked carefully. “I felt the serious tension between all of you.”

“I don’t think I’m in the place to say this to you.” Mrs. Kim smiled sadly. “I’ll tell you when the right time comes!”

“I’ll wait for that, then.”

With the sound from the TV filled up the silence living room, the Kim father and son stared at the TV blankly without talking to each other. Mr. Kim would steal a glance at his son once in a while.

“How have you been?” Mr. Kim broke the silence. “It’s been a long time since you come here.”

“Why would you care when I’m not even your legitimate heir?” Myungsoo blurted out bitterly. “You should care about your wife. Tell her to have an heir already! It’s not like you two can’t find the best gynecology to help.”

“Kim Myungsoo!”

“I don’t really want to come here, but for Soojung’s sake.” Myungsoo replied without even making any eye contact. “I just don’t want her to know about this family’s environment.”

“Nampyun!” Soojung exclaimed, breaking the tension as she appeared with Mrs. Kim with a tray in each of their hands. “Help me with this!”

Myungsoo stood up and approached her before taking the tray from her hands and placing it on the coffee table. She went back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter