07

Life of a Wallflower

A few days had passed and Joohee did not even realize it had been a week since she reviewed Jihoon's track. Joohee had thought Jihoon would forget her until he needed help but Jihoon proved her wrong when he would wave and smile at her almost every day when they saw each other since their lockers were pretty close apart. The girl would bit her lips and shyly waved back, restraining herself from screaming and fangirling right there and then.

 

The weather was cloudy and a little bit cold that day so Joohee thought it would be a good idea to finish her homework and study a little bit in the school's wide, warm and colorful library. The girl chose a seat near the medium-sized windows that decorated the library's walls. After taking out bunch of mathematics papers that needed to be done and her scientific calculator, Joohee then worked on her homework silently while listening to songs she just downloaded blasting through her headphones.

 

Joohee dropped her pencil and stretched her arms before looking at her wristwatch. The library was going to be locked up in 10 more minutes so the girl quickly gathered her things neatly and stuffed them into her bag. She did not realize it was already so late, too absorbed in her homework. She made her way out of school and walked into the direction of her home, noticing that the weather was still cloudy and cold. She wrapped her arms around herself, deciding to pay a visit to her favorite homey cafe down the street, just a few blocks away from her home. The cafe was vacant at this time of the day and Joohee was grateful for that because she did not have to line up to buy something that can warm her body. She ordered fresh baked cheese bread and a cup of hot coffee with a shot of espresso.

Joohee sat down on a seat situated in the innermost of the cafe, hands holding a small plate of cheese bread and a cup of hot coffee. Before the girl could bite onto her bread, her phone buzzed, indicating that she had just received a new message. She wiped her hands and frowned at the sender who disturbed her snacking time. It was an unknown number, the sender must have sent the text to a wrong number.

 

Which would sound better; slip into the diamond life or fall into the diamond life?

 

"What the hell…" Joohee's frown deepened and she quickly typed back a reply before biting the bread.

 

I'm sorry but, who are you?

 

Oh sorry. It's me, the pink-haired composer. I'm writing a new song.

 

Joohee gasped and then regretted her life choices because she choked on the bread she was munching. The girl hit her chest with her fist a few time, trying to let the piece of bread stuck in the end of to quickly slip into her stomach. She glanced around thank the god nobody saw her choking on a bread after succeeding in preventing her face from being plastered across newspapers and being labeled as the girl who died choking on a piece of bread after receiving an unexpected text. Joohee regained her posture and hastily grabbed her phone.

 

Oh sorry, I thought you text to a wrong number. And as for the question just now, I honestly don't know, both sounded good to me.

 

I know right! Ugh I'm going to take a break from writing, my head hurts. Where are you?

 

Joohee raised an eyebrow reading his text.

 

I'm in Jamong Cafe across the street from school. Why?

 

Oh. Wait.

 

The girl blinked and waited patiently for god knows what, eating the bread that tried to murder her just now. She then took out her polka-dotted notebook and pencil, deciding to wait for Jihoon's text while she worked on her lyrics writing. Humming to herself trying to find suitable words for her self-created melody, Joohee would have to admit even though it was hard to; her lyrics did looked and sounded good. A heavy sighed escaped her lips as she thought about how she was too timid to submit her self-recorded song to the broadcasting room at the school.

But her thoughts were cut short when an ear-piercing sound of a chair being dragged entered her ears forcefully. The girl glanced up to glare at whoever pulled the chair but was surprised by a too familiar face smiling at her.

"J-Jihoon? What? How did you get here? Why-" The girl stammered.

"To be honest, I saw you studying in the library earlier when I walked pass but I was going to write lyrics in my class which was right next to the library. So when I was stuck with choosing between the two options earlier I texted you because you're not in the library anymore." The boy explained while he set down his phone on the table, and sat comfortably in his seat in front of the girl. "And then you came here?" The girl sputtered. "Yup. I said I needed break right? So yeah, a cafe sounded really nice," He inhaled the sweet scent of coffee beans being roasted wafting in the air and then breathe out, his features showing that he could finally relax.

Joohee still could not believe Jihoon was sitting in front of her in a cafe which is not a school, definitely not a school, like they were on date or some sort. The girl blushed at her own thoughts and palmed her cheeks, trying to hide the redness. Jihoon peered at her notebook like he did the first time they had a decent conversation. He did some gestures which Joohee translated as "Can I read?" and the girl nodded hesitantly. The pink-haired boy then picked up her book and read. A hum can be heard from Jihoon as he tried to sing the song to himself. After a several moments which felt like an eternity to Joohee, Jihoon finally put down the book and his brows were furrowed, eyes narrowed and the girl could only anxiously gulped her saliva.

"W-What?"

"When are you going to let me hear your song? I can review yours back you know," He jutted his lower lip and played with his fingers. Joohee mentally sighed in relief because she had thought Jihoon found her lyrics boring and ridiculous. So he had sulked not getting to hear her song? "I'm… not that comfortable with letting people… other than myself hear my song."

"What? Why?" He looked up in shocked.

"I don't know. I, um, scared people won't like it." The black-haired said hesitantly, eyes downcast, staring at her now lukewarm coffee. "Then how are you going to submit this song to let people hear it?" Jihoon was truly curious right now and Joohee saw it on his face that frowned disapprovingly. "Probably never will. Submit the song I mean. I'll just write songs for myself,"

"But they are all good! I swear people will like it if you just give them a chance to hear it first, don't you think so?" Jihoon was still frowning and the girl did not like that kind of expression to be on his face, even though he still looked cute but she did not answer Jihoon and instead just sighed, playing with the pages of her notebook. She heard Jihoon sighed too; he probably had enough of her timid and was going to walk out the cafe and leave her alone there in her insecurity bubble.

"Okay, look. I am frustrated because you won't let the songs with so much potential to be loved by people be heard. So here's a suggestion. I'll help you out with your songs so it can be perfect for hearing like you want them to be, even though I think they are all already good enough to be compiled into an album. And in return, you will review my songs." Jihoon stared at the girl with such determination that Joohee seemed to think that his suggestion was amazing so Joohee dazedly nodded. Jihoon pumped his fist, muttering something under his breath which sounded suspiciously like a "We're going to make the best song ever,"

"How are you going to help me?" Joohee cannot help but ask out of curiosity. "First, you'll have to let me hear the melody and your ideas about the song and please don't be insecure of your song because I don't know how many times I said this, but your lyrics are super well written. All you have to do now is to let me hear your ideas about the composition and melody and whatnot, alright?" Jihoon intertwined his fingers together and place them gently on the table. Joohee closed her eyes for a moment before sighing; this was the little steps she had to take so her music can be appreciated by the public so she nodded her head and opened her eyes in determination. Jihoon grinned after seeing her determined look. "That's the spirit! Now, let's go back home because it's getting late." the pink-haired boy said as he tapped on his wristwatch.

Jihoon had offered to walk her back home since it was getting dark but Joohee refused, saying that her home was really just around the block and Jihoon nodded in understanding before bidding a goodbye to the girl. The boy walked away and then disappeared from her sight. Joohee proceeded to do the same and went back home, her steps were significantly seemed lighter.

 


I am still freaking out at the amount of subscribers this story have *O* and I want to say I LOVE YOU TO THE UPVOTERS u dont have to omg
why did you even subscribe this story is ty and the english lmao
IM REALLY SORRY BECAUSE MY ENGLISH IS REALLY BAD