19

Life of a Wallflower

 

"So, does that mean I have to multiply it first?" Mingyu's hands moved to write down the numbers he had multiplied mentally only to be smacked away. The tall boy huffed; eyes meeting Jihoon's glare hesitantly, rubbing the aching hand that was smacked with an elastic ruler. Jihoon was scary and stern as a tutor. If the lilac haired boy ended up being a teacher in the future, he would be the teacher that the students secretly despise but are too afraid to even look at him in the eye when somebody messes s up. 

"You'll multiply it after you get the value of x, I repeat, after." Give Jihoon an award please because he deserved one after having to repeat himself every three minutes to Mingyu without ripping his hair out. It's not that Mingyu was dumb; he's in fact, smart though all he did in class was sleeping or daydreaming. But numbers, those spawns of Satan (what Mingyu calls them) never did cooperate well with his precious brain, resulting to bad grades in almost every subjects that includes complex calculations in it. So Jihoon tried his best to keep his cool and teach his good friend until he finally understands.

Joohee who was watching the scene before her chuckled in amusement; those two were interesting to watch, they had been going at it since the last twenty minutes. The girl leaned against her seat, eyes scanning the others. Somehow they had managed to fit all fifteen of them at the tables comfortably, Jihoon and Joohee the tutors sitting at the end of the table beside each other. She was a little overwhelmed at first with the amount of 'students' but later she got used to it, completely forgetting her old worries about socializing with the group of boys.

"Ms. Bae, I'm stuck at this part. Please help," Lee Chan the only sophomore in the group, sadly looked at the girl. He had been calling Joohee Ms. Bae but the girl did nothing to stop him because honestly, the way Chan said it was kind of cute. Motioning for the boy to come near so she could explain clearly, Chan immediately stood, bringing his paper over as well. The boy kneeled next to Joohee as she explained, arms resting on the table.

The tutoring session went on for another hour but all of them were still diligently studying, papers and books strewn everywhere on the tables. Joohee hummed quietly as she squinted at the question she was solving; she had tried solving the problem for four times with different methods but she still didn't get the answer and now she was getting frustrated. Maybe she could ask Jihoon for help. She tilted her head slightly, secretly glancing at the lilac haired boy who was focused on his own studies. Joohee carefully and softly poked the boy beside her, gaining his attention instantly.

"Can you help me with question number 21? I tried solving it for four times already but I'm still stuck," The girl unconsciously pouted, tapping her pencil on the paper. Jihoon cleared his throat and leaned closer to the girl to see the paper better, left hand resting on the girl's chair's backrest. He hummed for a few seconds, reading the question and scanned the calculations Joohee had written beneath it. "You got it right until this part, you forgot to change the-"

Whatever Jihoon was saying at the moment, she cannot hear it. How can she when he was leaning so freaking close to her side? And not to mention, his left arm felt like it was wrapping around her shoulders instead of the chair. Joohee swore he could hear a slow whistle from somewhere across the table but she didn't dare look up because right now she was blushing madly and nobody needs to see that. "Get it?" 

No, no she didn't get it. Joohee cleared and mentally slapped herself across the face, telling herself to "freaking get a grip you " Jihoon blinked. "What?" The girl face palmed, muttering a few curse words before straightening her back. "Nothing, just, can you repeat what you explained? Because I kind of accidentally zoned out just now," Putting her palm on the paper, she slid it over closer to Jihoon. This way, the boy didn't have to lean in to her. Jihoon chuckled and tapped the girl's head with his pencil gently. "Okay, pay attention this time." Joohee tried to ignore the way the others were looking at them both and instead, focus on what Jihoon was saying.

After three hours of study session, they decided to call it a day. Many groans can be heard as they stood up, stretching after hours of sitting in the same position. Soonyoung suggested on doing this activity again soon because he said he had never felt so productive before and the others quickly agreed. So that was how another tutoring slash studying session was set for tomorrow, same place and same time.

Once they all exited the building, Seungcheol suddenly pushed Jihoon towards Joohee and fortunately he managed to stop himself from barreling over the girl. "Go walk her home, it's not safe for a girl to walk alone," He winked. Jihoon rolled his eyes and scoffed. "You don't have to push me, I did planned on walking her home," The other boys including Mina and Soyeon whooped and whistled, and Joohee can't help but laughed at their silly expressions. They said goodbye to each other, some walked on the opposite direction and some carpooled in Seungcheol's car, too lazy to walk home. Wonwoo and Mingyu had of course, gone with their almost-girlfriends also walking them home like the gentlemen they are. 

"Shall we?" Joohee snapped out from her reverie and nodded in answer. They walked side by side, keeping a comfortable distance between them and Jihoon had his hands in his pockets as usual, giving off a cool vibe. "You don't have to walk me home actually, I would be fine on my own," Joohee muttered bashfully. Jihoon turned his head and tilted it cutely to look at the girl, a smile gracing his face. "I know but it would be much safer with me, don't you think so?" He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah of course but I don't want to be a burden-" Jihoon clucked his tongue and threw her a look of disbelief. "Nonsense. If it's about your well-being than nothing is a burden. Besides, I got to spend more time with you,"

"What?" Joohee stopped dead in her track, blinking every second because did she heard him right? Or was it her brain playing games with her?

The boy his heels, facing the dumbfounded girl. He shrugged, hand rubbing the back of his neck and did Joohee's eyes tricked her or did Jihoon really blush? "I like hanging out or spending time with you," Joohee blinked again. "What?" The words didn't register on her poor shocked brain. The boy groaned and shook his head before grabbing the girl's arm to make her continue walking beside him. "Forget I said anything," He fiddled with his phone, mumbling something which suspiciously sounded like "god this is so embarrassing"

Things started to clicked in the girl's mind and she held herself back from freaking out and running away to hide. 

Jihoon. Likes. Spending. Time. With. Her.

Jihoon likes spending time with me, Bae Joohee. The Woozi a.k.a Lee Jihoon, likes spending time with Bae Joohee, the peasant. Oh my god! Red sirens started going off in her head and Joohee was so sure that she was turning into a tomato right then. The girl didn't what happened to her but she suddenly got a surge of confidence which came twice a month. 

"Likewise."

There, she said it. She instantly palmed her cheeks and avoided any sort of eye contact with the boy beside her. It was silent for seconds which felt like years to the girl, and then Jihoon burst out laughing. "Thank god, I thought I was the only one," Joohee was goddamn sure she didn't give Jihoon any permission to touch her but right now he was violating her space; he slung an arm around her then ruffled her hair while laughing so cheerfully and Joohee thought that Jihoon doesn't need her permission to do this kind of things, because she'll allow it anyways. She can't help but laugh along with Jihoon, and then ruffled his hair back, as revenge. Jihoon grinned before ruffling her hair again, this time purposely messing it up. 

"Hey!" He took off running after that and the girl ran after him, hands ready to ruffle that soft lilac hair again.

 


SURPRISEEEEEE IM NOT DEAD
FIRST AND FOREMOST I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE FOR NOT UPDATING FOR LIKE 12321 YEARS 
I was so goddamn busy with school and editorial board and sports AND EVERYTHING. 
I cant promise to update any sooner but I can promise that I wonr abandon this story :3