16

Life of a Wallflower

Joohee should probably be worried about the performance but she can't seem to care about that when Jihoon was sitting next to her innocently with his newly dyed lilac hair and the girl just couldn't take her eyes off his hair. He pulled off the colour so well she's jealous. Oh and she was also feeling an immense guilt because every time she roamed her eyes around the boy's head secretly, she would always ended up looking at the skin-coloured Band-Aid plastered under his right brow, an unwanted reminder for that she had accidentally poked him with a bobby pin until he bled.

 

Jihoon probably had noticed her guiltily staring at Band-Aid because he suddenly lightly touched the band-aid and reassuringly smiled. "Don't worry, it doesn't hurt anymore." Joohee gnawed on her lips. "But it could leave a scar, and if it does, that would totally ruin your flawless skin," The girl didn't know why Jihoon chuckled at her statement; he was supposed to agree with her. His skin was pale and flaw-free and then she came poking him with a bobby pin until it created a wound that had a possibility of scarring. "I don't mind okay? Besides, if it does leave a scar, people won't see it because the wound was originally small to begin with," She was going to argue further but the other guy sitting beside her nudged her side. "What are you guys talking about? Don't leave me out,"

 

Seongjoon was visibly pouting and Joohee just realized how they all had styled themselves up for the performance. Seongjoon had his hair slicked back revealing a glorious forehead and he was wearing a nice simple V-neck white T-shirt inside of his baby blue long knitted cardigan, paired with blue jeans. Jihoon too, had nicely styled himself. His hair was styled like how he usually does, but he was holding a light pink baseball cap on his laps, he will probably wear it later. He wore a simple white sweater and blue torn jeans.

 

On the other hand, Joohee had asked Mina and Soyeon to help her in choosing clothes for the performance so they all gathered at her house yesterday and ended up having a sleepover. They got ready together in the morning, each of them wearing different clothing that suits their own group's theme. Her two best friends had decided she should wear her white flowy blouse her mom had recently bought for her and tied a loose pink ribbon around the collar, paired with blue skinny jeans. She got to admit when she looked at herself in the mirror, she looked cute with a simple outfit. Soyeon helped the girl style her hair, curling her hair into loose curls at the bottom part.

 

All the seniors were waiting in the same main hall, chairs aligned straight and all the groups were seated according to their numbers. They all had dressed up for the occasion, some wearing ugly costumes and some wearing dresses and suits. If it weren't for the extra marks they will get for the clothing, they wouldn't have made an effort to wear anything else other than their school uniform. Eleven groups had performed so far and one currently performing and as expected, most of them simply sang covers of any songs that would relate to the main theme. Joohee was glad her group was a bit different. They created a new song, and will perform it with instruments; an acoustic performance.

 

"Oh, they're good. But that guy kind of ruined it, he at rapping, god." Seongjoon whispered to the girl. Joohee nodded in agreement, that guy did at rapping, and he was trying to copy the original rapper's style of rapping but failed horribly. Jihoon was focused on every performance he found interesting, but if he didn't, he would be playing with his phone secretly, glancing up to the stage every now and then.

 

Group 20 was performing halfway when their group was called backstage to get ready. Joohee's palms were sweaty and she couldn't stop chanting to herself words of encouragement because she was just so nervous she might faint right there and then. The girl paced back and forth in the small space singing softly to herself, practicing for the last time and Seongjoon's eyes followed her movements, and he regretted doing that because now he's dizzy. Jihoon was quite nervous too but he didn't so much about it, instead he quietly prepared himself, warming up his throat and mouth and checked his guitar's sounds and so on to distract himself from the nervous feeling. Seongjoon didn't seem to be nervous, he was just sitting there looking bored, waiting for their turn and the girl wondered how he could act so nonchalant when they were about to perform in a few more minutes.

 

Group 20 was done with their stage and the next group was up; Joohee was losing her mind at this point. She bounced on her feet in one place, hands gripping her hair tightly. "Oh god, we're next and we're screwed. I'm sorry I'll messes up soon and-" Seongjoon stood from where he sat and held the girl's shoulders. "Whoa whoa! Calm down, we haven't even performed yet, you won't mess up. Just calm down, and take a deep breath and exhale three times," Joohee did as told and felt herself relaxed a bit. The taller boy then gently took her hands and guided them away from messing her hair up even further. "You messed up your hair a little bit from all that hair pulling, geez." He did what she didn't expect him to do. He gently ran his fingers through her hair, combing it down and repeated the moves for a few times. Joohee stood frozen, totally clueless about what to do at the moment. What was a girl supposed to do when her male friend tried to fix her hair, and not to forget, so gently it almost seemed affectionate?

 

Joohee looked behind him, just anywhere but the boy in front of her. Seongjoon was standing too close she could his body heat. "There you go, looks so much better." He was back to holding the flustered girl's shoulders, watching the girl in satisfaction, his face showed he was proud of himself. But then he suddenly leaned in close, examining her face, earning a soft gasp from the girl. "Wait, are you- are you blushing?" Seongjoon asked in surprised amazement. He was too close, too freaking close.

 

Fortunately, a loud coughs disrupted the (uncomfortable, at least for Joohee) moment and Seongjoon jumped back in surprise, finally giving the girl some needed space. They both look behind Seongjoon, only to find Jihoon sitting there with his guitar, strumming it softly. He looked up and blinked innocently. "What? I was clearing my throat so I could sing better, and you both probably should do so too because it's almost our turn." Joohee nodded and before sitting down on the stool, mentally and physically preparing herself, choosing to ignore and forget about what just happened. Seongjoon pouted again and sighed deeply before following Jihoon's advice.

 

“ψ(`∇´)ψ

 

It was their turn. The students who were managing the stage quickly dragged in the seats to the center of the stage and set up the instruments and microphone stands. Joohee closed her eyes and slowly breathe to calm her nerves down. She just hoped she won't mess up. Jihoon spun on his heel before holding out his hand for the last cheer. They put out their hands together and softly cheered "Fighting!" after Jihoon's count. "Let's do this. Time to mesmerize them with our song!" Seongjoon pumped his fist and walked coolly out to his seat in the middle of the stage. Jihoon glanced at the girl and they nodded in unison before walking out together to the stage. Joohee made sure to walk with care because being the accident magnet she is, she could trip on the stage and made a fool out of herself in front of the other students watching them.

 

Joohee sat down in front of the keyboard on the left side of the stage and stretched her fingers and hands, eyes focusing only on the electric keyboard. Just at thought of seeing the crowd made her skin crawl in nervousness, so it would be better if she just avert her eyes away from anything but the crowd. Seongjoon experimentally tapped on the microphone, before grinning and introducing their group and what they will show. When Seongjoon mentioned about how they wrote the song themselves, the teachers slash judges watching from the side nodded in approval and interest. "-so, I hope you enjoy the song!" The students cheered in excitement and Joohee swore she heard some girls screaming "Woozi!" and "Seongjoon, you're the best!" at the top of their lungs.

 

Jihoon glanced at his teammates and they all nodded in unison. Time to sing.

 

They all started playing their own respective instruments together, creating a beautiful sound that even the teachers sat up straight, eager to listen. Jihoon was the first to sing, closing his eyes and feeling the music and lyrics, soft and sweet voice projected into the mic and out through the speakers. Everybody was in awe and Joohee understood why they would be, because she had been in awe many times before when they practice. His voice was just so soothing to hear, and it's not powerful or strong, that what makes his singing so relaxing and comforting to hear.

 

Seongjoon part was next and he delivered it perfectly without any mistakes. In fact, he sounded better than when they were practicing. Then, it was her turn to sing. Joohee took a deep breath and closed her eyes, imagining the crowd didn't exist, instead she was just singing to herself in her bedroom where no one was there to judge. She managed to sing without any mistakes except for that one part where her voice cracked but it was acceptable, nothing that bad. Their voices harmonized so beautifully at the chorus part and Joohee almost stopped singing so she could hear themselves clearly but then realized she couldn't that.

 

After three and a half minutes, their song came to an end and Jihoon sang the last notes, closing the performance. Joohee's chest was swelling with proud and she couldn't stop grinning. They did it without any mistakes and the teachers were amazed, everything was perfect. The crowd clapped and some whistled, probably Seongjoon's friends because he made shooting gestures towards the spot where the whistle came from. Joohee tried searching for Mina and Soyeon in the crowd but of course that task was impossible, there are too many people down there. Before they could bask in the cheers some more, the stage setters already ushered them off the stage to get ready for the next performance.

 

On their way out of the backstage, Jihoon patted Seongjoon's and Joohee's back and smiled widely. "We did great! I'm sure we can get high scores and we will totally ace this project." Seongjoon grinned and jumped on Jihoon for an unwanted hug. "You're the greatest, I swear-" The sight of Seongjoon forcing a hug on Jihoon while chattering in excitement and the uncomfortable look on Jihoon's face was hilarious and Joohee couldn't help but burst out into a laugh. Jihoon pushed Seongjoon away and the taller boy stumbled backwards into a dark empty store. Jihoon laughed evilly before closing the door, grabbing the girl's arm and they both ran out from the main hall laughing, leaving Seongjoon who now was chasing them with a big goofy smile on his face.

 


So here's a new a chapter! COMMENT COMMENT DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT!!
Oh btw, I realized that this has reACHED 400+ SUBSCRIBERS OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH <3333