22

Life of a Wallflower

"Jihoon, wake up. You can't sleep here," Joohee grabbed the sleeping boy by his shoulders and shook him awake. Jihoon had his head pillowed by his arms, slumping against the desk which looked very uncomfortable in Joohee's eyes. He complained all the time about the cricks and strain in his necks and she now knew what caused the problem.

It was summer. And about three weeks ago, Jihoon had man up and asked her out-- not for a simple coffee date like they always did-- but for a date which turned them from friends to a couple. Joohee had choked on her water and she almost died from the blockage in or from the intense embarrassment she felt, or maybe it was both. He just asked her out and all she did was choke on stupid water and made him worried. It did not matter anymore though, because after inhaling three gulp of air into her lungs she managed to stutter out her reply in a cracked voice and red face, "I-I would love to be y-your girl-girlfriend,"

Jihoon's smile lighted up the whole town and Joohee mirrored the contagious smile.

Their friends all whooped and whistled when they found out, and among all of them, Mingyu yelled the loudest, "About damn time!" She was glad no one seemed to be unhappy with their relationship because telling their friends about their relationship had felt more unnerving than performing on stage, and that's saying something. Wonwoo and Mingyu tried to pretend they did not see Mina's and Soyeon's hopeful glances at them after their announcement and the girls huffed in defeat. What they did not notice were the secret smiles directed at them when they were not looking at their 'almost-boyfriends'.

Joohee wondered why her best friends took so long to just confess to their respective boys, like, even Joohee managed to get herself in a relationship with Jihoon. But whatever the problem was, she hoped everything will work out for all of them in the end.

 

"Jihoon, seriously, wake up!" At this point the girl was shaking the sleeping boy violently until his head almost fell off the desk. Jihoon was still deep asleep though; Joohee wondered when the other slept last night. He probably stayed up late again.

At last, Jihoon groaned and grumbled under his breath, unfolding his arms and leaned back against his seat. "I just slept, please let me be," His voice cracked at the end of the sentence, showing how desperate he was for a nice sleep. Joohee sighed, putting her palms on either side of his cheeks and squeezed. Jihoon groaned again.

"I know. But at least go sleep on the couch. I don't want to hear you whining about your suffering back when you wake up."

With that, Jihoon rose up from his seat groggily and slouched over to the couch at the back of the room. He literally threw himself on the couch to snuggle into the square pillows when he got closer though. Within seconds, he was asleep again. After covering her sleep deprived boyfriend with a thin blanket fallen on the floor, she slid into the seat which Jihoon previously sat at.

Closing the opened programs Jihoon was losing his sleep for after saving them, Joohee decided to work on the new song she had learned to compose, thanks to her boyfriend's guidance. Though she tried to open the file she had saved the last time she worked on it, her hand slipped and Joohee accidentally opened the another file.

"Oops, let me just close- …wait a second,"

Joohee squinted while her body slowly leaned forward towards the screen and true enough, she didn't read it wrong. The file she had accidentally opened was named after her; it was saved as 'Joohee'.

 

She was staring at the screen by now, slowly and painfully dying of curiosity. Why was it saved after her name? Should she play the track? It was 3 minutes long and the track looked like it was finished, with the amount of layers it has. Wouldn't Jihoon be mad if she listened without his permission? But the boy himself had said that her girlfriend will be the first one to listen any tracks he finished. One of the girlfriend privileges he said.

Soft sounds of Jihoon snoring lightly behind her confirmed that the boy was still deep in his slumber. So maybe she should just go for it?

Without any more hesitation, she pressed the space button to play the track.

 

To say Joohee was flustered would be an understatement when the first thing she heard was Jihoon's soft voice singing. The instrumental was simple and sweet; it was something that Jihoon rarely produced as he preferred making either an upbeat pop song or sad ballad.

And then she heard it clearly. The lyrics, it was written and directed to a girl-- it was a confession song, saying how he really adores the girl, how he cherish the memories from every date they have been to, how he likes it when they have similar interest. Soon everything made sense to Joohee. The song was for her, it was made for her to listen (she hoped she was not wrong). A blush crept up her face, dusting her cheeks with pink until she could feel her own face heating up.

Warmth spread all over her body from the intense adoration she felt for the currently sleeping boy. Joohee leaned back in her seat; jaw slacked while staring dumbly at the screen. The song ended, but her feelings for Jihoon just started to become deeper and realer.

Pushing the wheeled-chair and rolling away from the desk, Joohee stood up and stomped towards the oblivious boy sleeping away with his leg falling off the couch limply on the ground. Joohee stared down at him, not to be creepy but just to make sure that this boy was indeed, the boy that had confessed to her three weeks ago. How the hell did she got so lucky? It was borderline suspicious how she got the boy who she was discreetly crushing on when she had rotten luck when it comes to boys and relationship before.

This one though, this boy proved to her that maybe, maybe she didn't have such a rotten luck after all; all she had to do was wait for the right guy. Jihoon is the guy and she could not be any happier.

It was so uncharacteristic of her to do this kind of thing, but she could not help it when her feelings for Jihoon were practically bubbling inside her, telling her to "Shower him with affection!!!"

So she grabbed Jihoon's adorable face, and she might had had accidently smacked his face too hard because the poor boy was jolted awake, eyes still heavy with dire need of sleep. His sleepy gaze directed at her was questioning and Joohee could see that he was confused as to why his girlfriend would think smacking him in the face when he was asleep would be a good thing. They stared at each other in silence, though the boy was again, slowly slipping into his dreamland.

 

Peck, that's what she did. Joohee proceeded to shower the boy with kisses, from his forehead to his cheeks, to his cute nose, and finally, the corner of his lips. When she pulled back, hands still holding Jihoon's face, it was safe to say that Jihoon was finally wide awake. Seconds passed by and Joohee laughed. The boy seemed to realize that his shy girlfriend just in fact, showered his face with kisses because after the thought registered in his mind, his face went beet red.

"I- what? Did you just- what? I thought- what just happened?" He's stammering over his words and Joohee found it extremely cute that he was so flustered. To be honest, she too, was kind of embarrassed of her actions but the feeling quickly subsided when she was satisfied seeing the flaming red face staring at her dumbly.

Thing was, they had never kissed before, not even after they started dating. This type of thing was bound to happen when both people in the relationship were too shy to initiate skinship any further than hugging and holding hands.

Just to further, Joohee planted another peck but this time, right on his lips, making use of her rarely present courage. The kiss lasted just a second but she could already feel Jihoon's thin but plump lips pressed against hers so sweetly.

Satisfied with the darkening shade of red decorating the boy's face, neck and ears, Joohee stood up casually and sat again at the chair like she didn't just assault Jihoon with kisses.

 

When Joohee finally faced the computer screen, she could hear a dull thud, which was probably Jihoon falling down the couch trying to stand up seeing how he was tangled badly in the blanket earlier. Joohee stifled a laugh and waited patiently for the boy to get nearer.

Loud sounds of footsteps scurrying towards her direction resonated throughout the room and soon enough Jihoon was there beside her fussing over the computer. He froze seconds later though; he knew he was caught writing and producing cheesy confession song.

"Did you……. Listened to it?"

"Yup,"

Cue the groaning and more furious blushing on Jihoon's part.

"Honestly Jihoon, I didn't know you would be the type to do this kind of things." Joohee pushed the boy away to mess with the computer, probably trying to find more hidden love songs Jihoon might had composed for her. The boy groaned some more and face palmed. "You weren't supposed to hear it yet. It's still not finished,"

"Well, I don't know about you but I think it's perfect and I love it," The girl grinned.

"Now now, you're sleep deprived and I'm sorry I woke you up. Go to sleep!" Joohee stood up again and forcefully pulled the other by his hands back to the couch. Jihoon looked embarrassed but she's pretty sure there's also some proud mixed in. After he sat down, Jihoon ruffled his hair, looking anywhere but at the girl in front. "I guess… I'm glad you love it. Since it's for you anyway." He mumbled and the girl had to lean closer to catch what he said.

Smiling fondly, Joohee pinched his cheeks lightly, earning a half-hearted glare from her boyfriend. "Thank you so much for sacrificing your time and energy to make that song for me. It is the first time in my life that I've ever received a love song, and that's why it is special to me now. I don't care what you say but for me, the song is perfect. I hope you realize that you're amazing and that I like you very very very much and I treasure you,"

Seeing Jihoon lit up at her words made her weak in the knees and words can't explain how much Jihoon means to her.

The boy grabbed her hands and slowly pulled them away from his face, holding it firmly. "I really really like you too," He said with a smile decorating his face. They both looked at each other fondly, not bothered by the silence. After a few more seconds, Jihoon suddenly tugged her closer.

"Now, can I have another kiss?"

"No! Go sleep!" She threw the blanket on his head.

 

 

“ψ(`∇´)ψ

 

 

 

Months passed by and now Joohee was currently struggling to carry the heavy boxes into her new dorm room. When she reached the bed, she threw the boxes carelessly and groaned, complaining about her suffering back and how she's getting old.

"You just needed to lift only those two boxes. I carried the rest and you complained more than me," Jihoon made his way into the room, carrying three boxes which covered his whole body, leaving only his head at the top.

"You're the one who wanted to carry them!" Joohee plopped down on the bare mattress, pointing at the boy accusingly.

"Yeah, because I'm a nice and caring boyfriend. Now that's all, right! Any more things we left behind?" Jihoon stretched and sighed in relief.

"Nope, I think everything is here already. Thanks, Jihoon!"

"Just doing my duty as your boyfriend. Now should we unpack now, or get lunch first?" Jihoon asked as he fished out his car keys from his pocket.

"Food is more important. Let's go eat!" Joohee jumped off the bed and dragged Jihoon out, after locking the dorm room where she'll spend a year in.

Luckily, they were both accepted into the same college. It was 45 minutes drive from home and Joohee couldn't be happier. She's close to her boyfriend and her family. Jihoon moved in into his dorm which he shared with Seungcheol last week. As for the girl, she's rooming with a sweet girl named Lily and they hit off together as soon as they met.

Mina and Soyeon both were accepted into a different college which was an hour away from her college and she was sad being the only one separated from her best friends of course. But Jihoon was there with her so she couldn't ask for more. Since Mingyu and Wonwoo were accepted into the same college as Joohee and Jihoon were, they both crowded her one day and made her promise that she'll keep an eye on their boyfriends and to chase away any girls that dare flirt with them on their behalf.

They are all starting their lives as college students and Joohee was both nervous and excited. Jihoon is there with her to go through the scary college life together so it's all good. She has Jihoon to lean on and take care of her if she ever felt like and Jihoon has her to make sure he doesn't die from forgetting to eat after spending hours in his studio. They will depend on each other like how they promised to before.

 


Finally, the last chapter is here! I want to thank you to all of you for waiting and for your patience. I am reaaallllyy late with this last chapter but I hope you guys enjoyed the story! I might write an epilogue chapter but I haven't really decided yet. But really tho. thank you so mmmuch reading this story when my writing and storyline is very bad. I love all of you!