20

Life of a Wallflower

 

As soon as Joohee closed her locker, Seongjoon's pouty face came into her view. The boy didn't need to speak but Joohee already knew why he's acting like a baby. "I'm sorry, alright? We'll study together after school ends, okay? I promise." The girl huffed and flicked the taller's forehead lightly. However, his pout never seem to disappear from his face, stubbornly staying on his face childishly.

 

After Joohee had gotten home yesterday, the stupid big grin decorating her face immediately morphed into a grimace once she unlocked her phone which she had put on silent since the studying session started. 20 new messages, 3 missed calls and 32 unread kakaotalk messages all from the same culprit, Seongjoon. She read through the messages one by one and the first message was Seongjoon asking for a help with a problem he can't solve, a picture of said problem attached along his message.

 

From then on his messages quickly grew longer, after he claimed he got a text from Jihoon saying how he was having so much fun studying with the girl and how he was sorry Seongjoon couldn't come join them since the room was full. He also sent Seongjoon a picture of them, Jihoon with a smug grin and Joohee diligently working on her math work, oblivious to her surroundings. Seongjoon called Jihoon the little devil from then on.

 

"Did you two really had fun yesterday?" Seongjoon asked, his pout deepened. "We were studying, Seongjoon, and studying is never fun." He pursed his lips in thought before Joohee continued. "But... we kind of did have fun after studying? Like, we were chasing each other around like fools and oh, don't tell Jihoon I said this but, I think we got closer yesterday." The girl said, whispering the last bit so only both of them can hear it. She didn't notice how Seongjoon's face instantly darkened though and kept talking, totally oblivious. "He was laughing and grinning so much yesterday. I never knew he was capable of that because you know how he was before right? All chic and quiet, talking only when he needs to. And oh did I mention how he ruffled-"

 

"Do you like Jihoon?"

 

"-my hair and I- wait what?" Joohee blinked and gaped. Did she heard him right or was it her brain misinterpreting his message. "I asked you if you like Jihoon," Joohee didn't know how long the silence between them stretched but the girl realized how Seongjoon's face became sadder every each seconds passed. The only thing that she could think of was why was he asking this? Suddenly something clicked in her mind, or so she thought.

 

"Is it… Is it obvious?" She winced.

 

Seongjoon blinked twice and her words hit him straight in the brain and chest like a truck of realization. He just fell into the zone he tried so hard to avoid, the friendzone. Seeing how Joohee was not that afraid to admit she liked Jihoon straight to his face kind of proved that he was just a close friend that she could tell her secrets to. He didn't know whether to cry or laugh at himself for being pathetic, so he did both.

 

Joohee jumped when Seongjoon suddenly slapped his thigh and burst out laughing so hard he cried. Was the fact that she likes Jihoon so laughable to this guy? The girl could only watch the taller weirdly as he laugh his off, tears coming out from the corner of his eyes. When his laughter died down a moment later, he wiped his eyes with his sleeves and let out a deep sigh.

 

"Now that, was hilarious." Joohee's eyes twitched. "What is?" The boy just chuckle and patted her head before walking away with a smile on his face. "Nothing important," He waved his hand without facing her and the girl stared at his back in confusion. "Don't tell him!" She raised her voice a little. Seongjoon turned around at this and grin "Don't worry, I won't," Then he spun forward again, hands ruffling his own hair roughly and head hung down. Joohee watched him for a few seconds before shrugging.

 

┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

 

"Have you seen Seongjoon?" Joohee asked as she made her way over to Jihoon. School just ended and Jihoon texted her, inviting her to go out and eat ice cream first before going to the practice room for another tutoring session and of course she would agree, not forgetting to text Mina and Soyeon telling them to go on first.

 

"Nope, why are you asking?" He said nonchalantly, hanging his headphones around his neck in a cool manner. "He said he wanted to join us study today and he suddenly cancelled just now,” Joohee furrowed her eyebrows while holding up her phone to Jihoon to let him read the message Seongjoon sent her. The lilac haired boy shrugged and started walking to the ice cream place. "Maybe he's busy,"

 

"I don't know, he was acting really weird this morning," Joohee said, scrolling through her phone. "Seongjoon IS weird," Jihoon chuckled, resting his in his pockets as usual.

 

They walked side by side, arms brushing against each other every now and then but Joohee didn't bother to move away, she's comfortable with this amount of space and pace they're walking, not too fast and not too slow, just right. When they arrived at the ice cream vendor, Jihoon didn't hesitate to order chocolate mint ice cream in a medium-sized cup while Joohee ordered vanilla ice cream in the same cup size. She can't help but smile at the sight of Jihoon happily scooping the ice cream little by little using the small pink spoon before popping it in his mouth like a happy satisfied child.

 

"Let's sit here for a while and finish our ice cream. I don't want to bring it to the practice room because the kids will gather and ask for a gigantic spoonful of ice cream." Jihoon pulled the girl by the arm and set both of them down on a bench situated in front of the park.

 

They sat in silence, both savoring the taste of the cold ice cream in their hands. It was nice, this moment of simply hanging out with Jihoon and eating ice cream, no words needed to exchange, just a comfortable silence between them. After a few minutes, Jihoon threw his ice cream cup in the trash can behind the bench before proceeding to sit back on the bench beside the girl waiting for her to finish her ice cream which still had a half left.

 

He tapped his foot on the ground and hummed, looking everywhere but the girl. Joohee recognized what he was humming to, it's a song she would recognized everywhere or anytime; it was her self-written song. She smiled; hands never stop scooping up ice cream into . The boy was singing at this point and she realized how he had changed some part of the song, which honestly made it sound a lot better than the original and Joohee guessed that must have had been the fixed version of her song. As soon as Jihoon finished singing, Joohee put down her cup in her lap, just to give the boy a big clap. "That was, that was beautiful!" She squealed, looking at Jihoon in awe.

 

"Yeah, you wrote and composed it, I just changed a few parts a little so, praise yourself," Jihoon grinned, ruffling the girl's hair. It seemed like, ruffling the girl's hair had become his habit whenever he found the girl endearing. Joohee bit her lips to held herself back from grinning to wide before picking up her forgotten ice cream and eating it in silent happiness.

 

Jihoon had continued with his singing, this time another song. Joohee finished her ice cream but before she could stand up to throw the cup, Jihoon already beat her to it. He didn't stop singing though, totally into the song. She giggled and stood up, singing along. What Jihoon did next was what she never expects; to offer his hand before walking to the practice room again. Her voice died down and she stuttered on the lyrics, wide eyes trailing from his hand to his arm up to his eyes. He was wearing his adorable eye smile and the girl noticed how his ears went incredibly red.

 

When he saw how Joohee was not responding and instead staring at him like he grew a second head, he took matters into his own hand, literally. He leaned in and grabbed Joohee's hand which was resting at her side, pulling her beside him to walk together. He sneaked a glance at the girl and he was triumph seeing the girl palming her red cheeks with her other hand. He laughed jovially and swung their intertwined hands back and forth in delight.

 


heyya there humans! guess who updated?! i lose my writing skills after months of not writing so im sorry for the horrible writing
anyways! COMMENNNTTTTT